Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Something I love: The time-saving macro functions of my Logitech G510 keyboard. Something I hate: Having to re-enter these macros for the second time in a couple of weeks. The first time was mostly my fault: I had two different profiles, and managed to over-write the useful one with what was essentially an empty one, which I'll partly blame on the software for making this too easy to do. Then yesterday I lost them all on a reboot, so I really don't know what happened, but it wasn't good. There's no function to explicitly "save" the macros, but there is a way to import and export them, so I guess I'll play with that to ensure I'm backed up.

Macro Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Feed Us Lost Island.
Caved In 2.
Stories: ALEC calls for penalties on 'freerider' homeowners in assault on clean energy.
Singapore marathon 'winner' ran only 6 km.
Science: New freshwater reserves found.
Coffee or beer? The choice could affect your genome.
Europa’s ocean could help explain its jigsaw surface.
Creation of entanglement simultaneously gives rise to a wormhole.
Media: The Bert And Ernie Christmas Special With Tony Sirico And Steve Schirripa. Thanks nin.
Naki'o the Bionic Dog. Thanks nin.
Steve Martin's Acceptance Speech - 2013 Governors Awards.
Cliff Jump Gone Horribly Wrong. Understatement. Thanks nin.
Auctions: "Han Solo" DL-44 Blaster from Star Wars. Thanks Kotaku.
Follow-up: Could dark matter be hiding in plain sight in existing experiments?

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

35. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 15:43 dj LiTh

Stormsinger wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 14:20:
I've got a -very- strong suspicion that the coffee/beer study shows nothing at all like what the writer claims. He apparently knows nothing about science, tech, or measurements, and not much more about the English language.

"But a low concentration of caffeine, similar to the amount found in a shot of espresso, shortened telomeres, and exposure to a 5-to-7 percent ethanol solution lengthened telomeres."

A concentration is not comparable to an amount. And if you've got a 5-7% alcohol concentration in your body, you're a corpse already, so telemere lengths are rather a moot point.

I've takin a few molecular cell bio classes, and i didnt have a problem with the article. He's obviously talking about 5-7% solution in a petri dish which would then be scanned by a transmission electron microscope.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 15:31 harlock

BobBob wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 12:10:
Why all the recent foul language in this forum?

does it offend thine sensibilities?

33. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 15:20 Burrito of Peace

BobBob wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 12:10:

Why the fuck not?

32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 14:20 Stormsinger

I've got a -very- strong suspicion that the coffee/beer study shows nothing at all like what the writer claims. He apparently knows nothing about science, tech, or measurements, and not much more about the English language.

"But a low concentration of caffeine, similar to the amount found in a shot of espresso, shortened telomeres, and exposure to a 5-to-7 percent ethanol solution lengthened telomeres."

A concentration is not comparable to an amount. And if you've got a 5-7% alcohol concentration in your body, you're a corpse already, so telemere lengths are rather a moot point.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 13:58 1badmf

El Pit wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 13:03:
1badmf wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 12:42:
any soccer fans out there? Germany, Portugal and Ghana (again!??) for us.

/facepalm.

The US has already defeated Germany in 2013. Portugal had a lot of trouble to qualify for the championship. Ghana is a diva, they can win against Germany or Brazil one day and lose to e.g. Mongolia the next day.

But Germany is the top dog in this group with Portugal and the US being a close second.

the be fair that was mostly a german b team, and i do agree with your assessment of the others, but looking at it just from pure ability, we're probably about the 20th best team in the world, and the worst team in the group. other groups at least have cupcakes ranked closer 100 than 10, but we get a murderer's row. ouch. now i'm just hoping we can at least beat ghana for some payback.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 13:49 Ashley

I like the macro buttons on my G110 so much that I've been looking at the G700 mouse which has the macro buttons on it.
I use them mainly for cut and paste and formatting text when I'm coding.

I did add the logitech servers to my hosts file so they point to my localhost in order to avoid them phoning home for an unexpected update and I have screwed up the macros on more than one occasion but it is definitely worth the time they have saved me.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 13:46  Blue 

Quboid wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 13:39:
Established 1995. Over three-quarters of a billion visitors since 1997.

Congratulations!

Nice catch! And thank you (and everyone else).

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 13:41 Beamer

No coffee for me.
And beer only when I'm being social - I never drink alone, but I'll order a beer if I'm out at a restaurant that has a good selection of stuff I've never heard of. I'm more likely to order a cocktail made with bourbon or gin, though.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 13:39 Quboid

Established 1995. Over three-quarters of a billion visitors since 1997.

Congratulations!

- Quboid

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 13:34 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 11:10:
1badmf wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 11:07:
nor do I, most of the time. i won't touch coffee, and beer only to get a buzz on at parties bars. i don't actually like it. i think it's safe to say based on this rock solid scientific foundation that creston and i are in a third category that abstainers of both are in fact superior.

AYE!!!!

Thirded. I fail to understand how people can like that stuff.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 13:03 El Pit

1badmf wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 12:42:

/facepalm.

The US has already defeated Germany in 2013. Portugal had a lot of trouble to qualify for the championship. Ghana is a diva, they can win against Germany or Brazil one day and lose to e.g. Mongolia the next day.

But Germany is the top dog in this group with Portugal and the US being a close second.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 12:42 1badmf

/facepalm.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 12:42 Beamer

I finally replaced my old Dell P992 19" CRT yesterday. .24mm dot pitch, Max Resolution: 1600 x 1200 at 75 Hz, and a whopping 57 pounds. It had been on its way out for a while - made an extremely annoying clicking sound every 5 or 10 seconds when in standby, everything was starting to get fuzzy, there were parallel lines visible first on dark backgrounds (they weren't parallel to the ground, angled instead, and red), then on everything, and for the past month it's been making a high pitched hum about 20% of the time it was on.

Replaced it with a 24" Dell Ultrasharp IPS 16x10.
Very happy upgrade. My second monitor is a 23" LED that was a good deal but isn't fantastic. That replaced an old 19" 4:3 LCD.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 12:34 Verno

Yeah another vote for AutoHotKey. You can use it for really simple stuff or get into scripting too, its very powerful. The learning curve isn't a big deal either, there are a ton of examples and tutorials out there if you can't puzzle through it on your own.

You can dump your AHK scripts into dropbox or something too if you swap machines a lot.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 12:25 Ratty

So why keyboard macros instead of AutoHotkey? I got a fancy keyboard just for the macros but could never get it to work. Then I got AutoHotkey and that program is simply amazing and very easy to use. I use it a lot for games that don't let you bind more than one key to a function, like all Bethesda games. And you can make different macro files for different purposes and switch between them with a double-click.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 12:10 BobBob

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 12:06 1badmf

Verno wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 11:17:
1badmf wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 11:07:
nor do I, most of the time. i won't touch coffee, and beer only to get a buzz on at parties bars. i don't actually like it. i think it's safe to say based on this rock solid scientific foundation that creston and i are in a third category that abstainers of both are in fact superior.

I'll have a beer to be social but yeah it's pretty much empty carbs and there are much better ways to consume alcohol IMHO.

and it AIN'T jello shots. holy fucking christ man, was at a friend's bday party last weekend, and she loves jello shots with tequila, and it was fucking nasty. the worst part is, you gotta chew on that shit for awhile before you down it or you risk choking, so the nastiness is magnified tenfold.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 12:02 InBlack

maleitch wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 11:50:
Typical enviro fascist response. You fools in the enviro douche community have killed hundreds of thousands from your freak stances on DDT, to vaccinations and now global warming. You have obiliterated incomes for bogus "green technologies" which have resolved nothing and are nothing but naive man-child dreams from nerds like yourself who contribute nothing.

Anytime you want to attempt to "disallow" my right to breath air just let me know. Would love for you to try.

Read the article. You want to charge people for installing solar panels on their home? Well I would like to charge you for breathing oxygen. How does that work for you mr. Harkonen?

I have a nifty blue line!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 12:01 BobBob

Words are not required for this argument.

A simple link will tell you why the green here policies are working.

http://tinyurl.com/le33s96

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 12:00 1badmf

not even entirely sure what he's advocating/criticizing. it's the enviro-fascists that want to improve the air you breath.  

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo