Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Sale

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: On Sale Dec 4, 2013, 05:57 MoonSpook

KS wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 11:34:
Well, it took long enough, but Total Annihilation is finally on Gog, too. With Sacrifice and Dungeon Keeper, they now have the three greatest RTS of all time. Got TA over the weekend, been going nuts on all three for weeks.

Total Annihilation has been available on GoG.com since 2010, unless you meant it's the first time it's been on sale (which I doubt, to be honest!).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: On Sale Dec 4, 2013, 00:55 Jerykk

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 07:30:
JohnnyRotten wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 18:49:
GO ON SALE ENEMY WITHIN.

That is all.
You can grab it for 30% off from GMG for a few more hours
http://blog.playfire.com/2013/11/getting-ready-for-black-friday.html

I'd wait until the 7th and then pick it up at Gamefly for $16 with this voucher: GFDDEC20

35. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 21:13 jimnms

Creston wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 11:39:
jimnms wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 19:41:
Farcry 3 is the same price on Amazon that activates on Uplay. I don't own any Uplay titles, so I'm completely unfamiliar with it. Does it have an offline mode like Steam? From what I understand so far, if you buy it on Steam, you have to launch it on Steam first, which then brings up Uplay, then the game. Or since it's registered to your Uplay account, can you skip Steam and just launch it from Uplay?

If you have to jump through two DRM hoops by buying it on Steam, it sounds better to just buy it from Amazon and register it on Uplay.

They both have advantages and disadvantages.

If you buy it on Steam, like you said, you first have to launch the game in Steam, then it launches Uplay, and puts up this separate Uplay screen where ONLY that game of yours is showing. From which you can then launch it. It's the most retarded thing ever developed by mankind.

However, doing it this way does mean that you can make a backup of it through Steam, should you ever need to reinstall/move it to another computer, etc.

If you get it from Amazon it gives you a Uplay code, so if you play it then, it launches Uplay directly (and shows you all your Uplay games) and then the game. But Uplay has basically no functionality whatsoever of making a backup. The amount of hassle you have to do to get data to move between systems is ridiculous.

So either way you do it, you're looking at shit. If Ubi's games weren't so much fun to play, I'd never put up with it, but sadly they are, and so I have to.

As for offline mode, yes, Uplay has an offline mode, and it actually works far better than Steam's.

I went ahead and bought the Uplay code from Amazon. Uplay isn't too bad, but I'd still rather not have to use it. I played FarCry 3 for a few hours before bed, and that game is worse than the Uplay client. At least you can set Uplay to offline mode, but FC3 wants to connect to the internet during my SP game. I have my firewall set to prompt me when something tries to connect. I don't intend to play FC3 MP, so I blocked it when it prompted. When I try to access the book thing or the map, every other time I do it, it makes me wait while it tries to connect to something.

As far as backing up or moving, the Uplay client just downloaded what would have been a DVD's worth of files with a standard installer. I backed up the installers to my external backup drive. Luckily I did it before installing because Uplay deletes them after you install it.

MeanJim on Steam

34. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 14:47 Cutter

Enh, think Ima grab Ass Creed 4 in that case. I can't imagine the price being very much better for the Xmas sales at this point.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

33. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 14:14 Creston

Max Payne 3 and LA Noire combined for eight bucks on Amazon.  

32. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 11:48 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 07:22:
Amazon has Assassin's Creed 4 today only for $29.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJXMRX0/

Love that game. Although I got kinda pissed when I was at 97% sync, tried to go replay an old mission to get 100% sync on it, only to find it simply refuses to load the mission. Grrrr.

But it's a great game. Good story (though depressing as hell. Spoiler: seriously, EVERYONE dies. ) awesome naval combat, fun upgrade system for your ship (with huuuuuuuuuge jumps in power level between start and end. I've restarted and I can't believe how fucking terrible the Jackdaw is at the start. It takes me longer to sink a Brig than it does to sink a level 60 Man of War with the fully upgraded Jackdaw ), beautiful cities that are fun to explore, and this time around at least it has mission objectives that actually somewhat make sense, AND are possible to do. Oh, and the Abstergo stuff is actually pretty decent this time around. It's not too long, and it has a pretty interesting plot twist at the end.

Downsides of AC4:

- Waaaaaaay too many "follow this dude" and "Stay in range to overhear this conversation" missions. There are like fucking THIRTY of them, it's insane.

- The main world map is, to be honest, pretty damn boring. Every single island looks exactly the same, with one texture set used for the entire map (green/gray.) and the draw distance is terrible. I guess this was done so the 'next-gen' tech could handle it, but it's pathetic. You're constantly just looking at this hazy horizon. Why can't I set the draw distance to infinity on the PC, so I can actually SEE all the islands?

Still, if you liked any AC game at all, you should enjoy this. The pirating gameplay is awesome.

31. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 11:39 Creston

Farcry 3 is the same price on Amazon that activates on Uplay. I don't own any Uplay titles, so I'm completely unfamiliar with it. Does it have an offline mode like Steam? From what I understand so far, if you buy it on Steam, you have to launch it on Steam first, which then brings up Uplay, then the game. Or since it's registered to your Uplay account, can you skip Steam and just launch it from Uplay?

If you have to jump through two DRM hoops by buying it on Steam, it sounds better to just buy it from Amazon and register it on Uplay.

They both have advantages and disadvantages.

If you buy it on Steam, like you said, you first have to launch the game in Steam, then it launches Uplay, and puts up this separate Uplay screen where ONLY that game of yours is showing. From which you can then launch it. It's the most retarded thing ever developed by mankind.

However, doing it this way does mean that you can make a backup of it through Steam, should you ever need to reinstall/move it to another computer, etc.

If you get it from Amazon it gives you a Uplay code, so if you play it then, it launches Uplay directly (and shows you all your Uplay games) and then the game. But Uplay has basically no functionality whatsoever of making a backup. The amount of hassle you have to do to get data to move between systems is ridiculous.

So either way you do it, you're looking at shit. If Ubi's games weren't so much fun to play, I'd never put up with it, but sadly they are, and so I have to.

As for offline mode, yes, Uplay has an offline mode, and it actually works far better than Steam's.

30. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 11:34 KS

Well, it took long enough, but Total Annihilation is finally on Gog, too. With Sacrifice and Dungeon Keeper, they now have the three greatest RTS of all time. Got TA over the weekend, been going nuts on all three for weeks.  

29. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 09:34 SpectralMeat

I am not picking up SW because I have more than enough games to play as it is. The price on that game is going to be $10 again on the Winter sale or less. There is no hurry to grab it right now.

I also wasn't blown away by their previous game, it was okay but wasn't mind blowing. Got boring quick and I never went back to play it again.

Steam: SpectralMeat

28. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 08:55 nin

Cram wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 05:21:
I almost preordered Shadow Warrior for 33.99 but I didn't. I almost bought Shadow Warrior two days ago when it was 50% off on steam but I didn't. I bought it this morning at 75% off.

Four or five hours in. Should have bought it at $33.99 months ago, it was and is worth that price.

Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about it...puzzling why it didn't do better.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

27. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 08:01 MoonSpook

Ladron3dfx wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 06:26:
A stripped down version of the Uplay client with no store? Incredible! This restricts users from making additional Uplay/Ubisoft game purchases through the Uplay client. In fact it seems, Uplay enabled games purchased on Steam will not show on the standalone Uplay client.

You can still use the UPlay account you use for FC3 in your own UPlay client download and on the UPlay website (I associated the game with a UPlay account I already had), and the Steam-purchased UPlay games DO show in the client. But if you try to launch them, it will open Steam too.

26. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 08:00 JayDeath

Hurry and grab Shadow Warrior for $10. It's extremely entertaining and looks pretty good too. Slicing perps in half with the katana is deliciously fun!  
Steam: BenRichards

Shadow of Mordor is wonderful.

25. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 07:30 SpectralMeat

JohnnyRotten wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 18:49:
GO ON SALE ENEMY WITHIN.

That is all.
You can grab it for 30% off from GMG for a few more hours
http://blog.playfire.com/2013/11/getting-ready-for-black-friday.html

24. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 07:22 SpectralMeat

Amazon has Assassin's Creed 4 today only for $29.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJXMRX0/

23. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 06:26 Ladron3dfx

MoonSpook wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 05:36:
As someone that bought it, I can explain.

You download through Steam, and when you launch, it starts up a version of UPlay without the store part of the client (to comply with Steam's terms), and asks you to login with a UPlay ID and associate the game with the account. It has the normal UPlay system as part of the game - achievements, "Rewards" to spend achievement points on etc, all done in the UPlay client.

A stripped down version of the Uplay client with no store? Incredible! This restricts users from making additional Uplay/Ubisoft game purchases through the Uplay client. In fact it seems, Uplay enabled games purchased on Steam will not show on the standalone Uplay client.

Purchasing Steam/Steamworks enabled games on competitive services comes with no restricted version of the Steam client.

Steamworks

22. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 05:58 El Pit

MoonSpook wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 05:36:
The CD Key you get from Steam is definitely tied to Steam, no matter what client you use, but you will have both clients running when playing the game.

Ubi: "It's our game, we will spy on him!"
Steam: "No, no, no, we sold him the game, WE will spy on him!"
NSA: "Guys, guys, please, can't we all be friends and ALL spy on him!"
Happy end.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

21. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 05:36 MoonSpook

As someone that bought it, I can explain.

You download through Steam, and when you launch, it starts up a version of UPlay without the store part of the client (to comply with Steam's terms), and asks you to login with a UPlay ID and associate the game with the account. It has the normal UPlay system as part of the game - achievements, "Rewards" to spend achievement points on etc, all done in the UPlay client.

I already had UPlay installed (I had AC3 with my gfx card which came with a UPlay code), so I figured "Ok, no point in running from Steam then." Uh-uh. If you load the regular UPlay client without Steam, then try to play the game, a box appears informing you that it is now starting Steam so you can play the game.

It's ludicrous.

What's even more amusing is that once in the game, you can bring up both UPlay's and Steam's ingame overlay..

But yeah. The CD Key you get from Steam is definitely tied to Steam, no matter what client you use, but you will have both clients running when playing the game.

20. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 05:25 Cram

edit: double post  

19. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 05:21 Cram

I almost preordered Shadow Warrior for 33.99 but I didn't. I almost bought Shadow Warrior two days ago when it was 50% off on steam but I didn't. I bought it this morning at 75% off.

Four or five hours in. Should have bought it at $33.99 months ago, it was and is worth that price.

18. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 03:29 Jerykk

Axis wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 19:08:
Terrible sales overall, pretty lamo nothing much worth picking up. Cept Wii U games, a bunch of good titles were dirt cheap. Gotta love that the same game for the other 'popular' consoles were/are 4x the price.

The quality of a sale is determined by the number of unprecedented discounts that were offered. There were a lot of unprecedented discounts in these sales, such as:

- $10 Shadow Warrior
- $15 Saints Row IV
- $20 Batman Arkham Origins
- $9 Stanley Parable
- $13 The Bureau
- $20 BF4
- $25 NFS: Rivals
- $20 CoH2
- $10 Deadpool
- $5 Don't Starve
- $4 Spelunky
- $10 Enslaved
- $10 Castlevania Lords of Shadow
- $5 Euro Truck Simulator 2
- $13 Metro Last Light
- $7.50 Far Cry 3
- $10 Godus
- $7.50 Skyrim
- $5 Dishonored

And that's just the ones I remember. Just because nothing you were interested went on sale doesn't mean the sales were terrible.

Speaking of unprecedented sales, Amazon is selling AC4 right now for $30.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2013, 03:36.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo