Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Passes $33 Million

Roberts Space Industries announces Star Citizen crowd-funding is now past $33 million. Chairman Roberts describes the Anvil Carrack this unlocks in the upcoming space game, and gives a general outline of their next five goals:

For the next five stretch goals, we’d like to add an additional system to the game… and you’re going to pick the major feature! Remember: the system, like the new ships, is simply symbolic of what’s being added to Star Citizen with the additional money. Each stretch goal system represents additional artists, tools, programmers and new technologies that will make the finished project even better!

View
93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

93. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 29, 2013, 08:23 theyarecomingforyou

feral.fury wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 04:11:
What I'm trying to say is, if Chris Roberts screws this up, his career of making games is over. More so then if he was working for a publisher.
And if he gets it right he sets himself up for life and reignites a previously dead genre. Unlike Freelancer, which he ended up abandoning because of issues with Microsoft, he has complete creative control over SC and that really shows in everything we've seen so far.

I think the chance of SC ending his career is low.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

92. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 29, 2013, 05:24 InBlack

feral.fury wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 04:11:
InBlack wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 03:23:
feral.fury wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 14:15:

Let me correct your last statement, it seams as if you are a butt-hurt publisher and/or inventor who likes making huge returns off disappointed consumers who bought the product you invested in.

"Lots of money. Check. Accountability to pledgers. Check. Expected deadlines to be met by pledgers. Check. Best Intentions. Check. Your apples to oranges comparison. Check."

What. The. Fuck?

What I'm trying to say is, if Chris Roberts screws this up, his career of making games is over. More so then if he was working for a publisher. Anyways InBlack, a large amount of your comments and the content of your comments is absolute garbage. I'm done here, bye.

Oh, the ad-hominem attacks, gotta love em! Keep em coming, they sure add a lot of weight to your argument.

I have a nifty blue line!

91. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 29, 2013, 04:24 Jerykk

BicycleRepairMan wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 03:17:
Lol, i find that pretty unbelievable. Possible, maybe, but pretty unbelievable. Even with a mature and engaged audience.

Also, checked out facebook hype, Wing Commander has 6859 likes, this game (or at least a fan interest group/whatever) came up on "star citizen" search, about 122 likes. Facebook may not be their venue either, but come on, thats just ridiculously low.

I'm not sure why you keep using Facebook as a metric for this. How many hardcore space sim players have Facebook pages? Hell, how many non-teenagers have Facebook pages? What you should be using as a metric is the number of backers listed on the RSI site.

90. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 29, 2013, 04:11 feral.fury

InBlack wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 03:23:

Let me correct your last statement, it seams as if you are a butt-hurt publisher and/or inventor who likes making huge returns off disappointed consumers who bought the product you invested in.

"Lots of money. Check. Accountability to pledgers. Check. Expected deadlines to be met by pledgers. Check. Best Intentions. Check. Your apples to oranges comparison. Check."

What. The. Fuck?

What I'm trying to say is, if Chris Roberts screws this up, his career of making games is over. More so then if he was working for a publisher. Anyways InBlack, a large amount of your comments and the content of your comments is absolute garbage. I'm done here, bye.

89. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 29, 2013, 03:23 InBlack

What. The. Fuck?

I have a nifty blue line!

88. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 22:39 ItBurn

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13408-Giving-Thanks  

87. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 19:15 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 16:38:
Really? So what is it that you think will be 'skill' in this game?

Is skill those who can walk around the hangar fastest? cos that's all you've had to play yet to see how their gameplay works.
The hangar module has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion and you know it. There have been numerous videos released, discussions on the forum and interviews regarding the gameplay, so we do have some idea as to how the gameplay works - obviously that doesn't compare to hands-on experience but we don't have access to that at the moment.

What happens if they don't make a very 'skilled' flight model and it's just pew pew in space. They can talk all they like about now it will play but until you (or anyone else) as played at lest an alpha build, you are backing it totally on hope and dreams at this point. (and their concept videos which show how they would like it to look in the end).
CR has an extensive background in the genre, responsible for excellent skill-based games like Wing Commander and Starlancer. He has gone on record as saying that SC is a skill-based game, which is all we have to go on at the moment. It's only reasonable to be sceptical of that given the exorbitant prices charged for some ships but CR does have a strong background in the genre and most of the interviews have only reinforced people's expectations.

Also those who are all "you don't make a AAA game in a year!", well I don't think this started as a AAA game (and doubt it is) and even then COD which is a AAA game
From the very first Kickstarter video I think it was very clear that SC was being built as a AAA game, making use of an advanced engine and with incredible detail going into the design. The presentation was better than most trailers from major developers. That was very impressive given the modest budget, which has now multiplied several times over. And yes, COD is a AAA franchise, despite my indifference to it, so read into that what you will.

86. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 16:38 Kosumo

What I hope is that skilled players will be able to take advantage of less-skilled users with better ships and steal them / destroy them.

Really? So what is it that you think will be 'skill' in this game?

Is skill those who can walk around the hangar fastest? cos that's all you've had to play yet to see how their gameplay works.

What happens if they don't make a very 'skilled' flight model and it's just pew pew in space. They can talk all they like about now it will play but until you (or anyone else) as played at lest an alpha build, you are backing it totally on hope and dreams at this point. (and their concept videos which show how they would like it to look in the end).

Duke Nukem Forever sounded great back in the day, it was gonna be everything to everyone, well, we know how that ended. (form what I've read/heard it was ok but due to the hype over all that time it was always gonna disapoint/be a let down)

Chris Roberts has not published a game in over 10 years .... am I right?

Also those who are all "you don't make a AAA game in a year!", well I don't think this started as a AAA game (and doubt it is) and even then COD which is a AAA game, comes out every years althought that's across two studios (and dirivitive, although so is SC)

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2013, 16:43.

85. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 15:45 Ryan Lange

DG wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 12:38:
Confused about this - there's a lot of people really looking forward to this game but I can't fathom how it is possible to have $1,000 ships which can be both value for money and reasonably balanced for everyone else?

This is essentially a fundraiser. We already know that some people are willing to spend a lot of money on an item that's worth far less (for example, political fundraising dinners where people pay several thousand dollars per plate of food).

84. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 15:00 theyarecomingforyou

Jackplug wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 14:48:
Too many ppl are gonna ave too many good ships with rare weapons/stuff that the balance of the game will be tipped too soon. Although I see a fail well before the game even gets released, cos it wont be as what they said it was and to those who've pledged so much it wont be enough..
I do think that is a legitimate criticism, though it's hard to know the impact until the game launches. My understanding is that the more powerful ships will have to be earned in game. However, people who put in more hours will have the same advantage over someone who can only put in 10-15hrs a week. The reality is that you will never have a completely balanced environment.

What I hope is that skilled players will be able to take advantage of less-skilled users with better ships and steal them / destroy them. Personally I get much more satisfaction from starting from scratch and working my way to the top than simply throwing money at the game. Hopefully we'll see clans of lower level players group together and target bigger ships, as we saw with EVE where a player lost a ship worth $8,000.

83. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 14:48 Jackplug

Too many ppl are gonna ave too many good ships with rare weapons/stuff that the balance of the game will be tipped too soon. Although I see a fail well before the game even gets released, cos it wont be as what they said it was and to those who've pledged so much it wont be enough..  

82. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 14:45 theyarecomingforyou

Quboid wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 12:57:
The kickstarter finished at $2m, 4x what they asked for - what panbient said. Anyway, panbient says the game will probably be delayed and in response, you imply that it might well be delayed ... so why's he talking shit?
Nonsense. First panbient stated that the game should have been delivered in a year when it was stated from the beginning that that wouldn't be the case, then they made the accusation that the development team is unfocused and even stated that responding to backers in the forums is bad for game development. So yes, I accused them of talking shit. They were.

The extra money is going to expanding the scale of the alpha, to orchestral scores, to designing new ships and galaxies, to implement FPS combat, to allow players to explore planets, to allow players to control businesses, to relocate the developers to a bigger studio, to implement facial recognition, etc. The money is not being used to bring forward the release date of the game, nor should it be - that doesn't provide value for money. The money should be used to improve the quality of the game, not get it released more quickly.

As I said, major developers miss targets all the time and you have to consider that this developer is being built from the ground up. Being delayed for a few months doesn't have any bearing on the quality of the game or the competence of the developer, not on a project of this scale. But they haven't even missed the deadline yet. To accuse them of incompetence for a deadline they haven't even missed yet is rather ridiculous.

81. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 14:15 feral.fury

InBlack wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 06:12:
What research? Oh you mean buying the increasingly far-fetched promises of CR and crew. I would hardly call that research. Also what conspiracy? I never suggested there was a conspiracy. Im sure that CR and team want to make the best possible game, Im also sure that they like money and that theyve bitten off a whole lot more then they can chew.

Lots of money. Check. No accountability to stock-holders. Check. No deadlines set by publisher. Check. Best Intentions. Check. Sounds like someone else we know?

80. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 14:09 feral.fury

panbient wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 09:17:
Ryan Lange wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 23:52:
It's generally understood that there is not necessarily an inverse relationship between the amount of funding available for a project and the amount of time that project takes to advance.

That's why I specified the 'original' product concept. The difference being I'm seeing them expand the scope of their project rather than adding onto the original plan. Not necessarily a bad thing, just exponentially riskier.

Here's the issue from my perspective. Anyone worth supporting in a kickstarter / crowdfunding situation needs to have a clearly defined and achievable goal. Otherwise you are literally investing in hype. That core product concept needs to be solid and focused.

A year ago RSI started a pitch for what sounded like a small, focused, space game with great potential for expanding into absolute greatness. The community heard it too and supported them beyond their expectations. How is it the game they planned to make for $2 million can't be shown even as a beta when they've gotten well over 15 times more funding? And I don't mean some module either, I mean the original product they pitched last year, the one they said only needed $2 million to be made.

For me that's a major concern. It shows that RSI chose to expand their original vision rather than building on top of a focused core. The fact that their latest stretch 'goal' is all about letting the community decide leads me to believe they've run out of ideas and either don't want (or know) how to stop the seemingly out of control funding machine.

There's probably a good reason why no one else is trying to bite off as much as this company is trying to chew.

Their original release plan a year ago was for December 2014 / January 2015. With all the additional funding they received it's still December 2014 / January 2015. With the additional funding they are able to hire more artist, animators, programmers, etc etc and make more groups and larger groups working on specific features. My only concern is keeping all the groups synchronized.

79. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 13:07 ItBurn

Quboid wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 12:57:
The kickstarter finished at $2m, 4x what they asked for - what panbient said. Anyway, panbient says the game will probably be delayed and in response, you imply that it might well be delayed ... so why's he talking shit?

It seems illogical to criticise the people urging caution of having unrealistic expectations.

Wow, you didn't know? The kickstarter was started waaay after the actual crowdfunding started on the game's website. They got a lot more money from their site's kickstarter and also asked for more. The Kickstarter had a really low funding amount because they still wanted to get the money. Everyone had already pledged through the main site, so they were afraid not enough would be left for the kickstarter(my interpretation). Their initial crowdfunding run, including the kickstarter, got way more than 2 mil and their initial goal was also more than 2 mil.

Haven't you guys been paying any attention to this???

78. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 12:57 Quboid

It seems illogical to criticise the people urging caution of having unrealistic expectations.

- Quboid

77. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 12:56 ItBurn

DG wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 12:38:
Confused about this - there's a lot of people really looking forward to this game but I can't fathom how it is possible to have $1,000 ships which can be both value for money and reasonably balanced for everyone else?

They aren't value for money. Well, they're pretty rare, so in a way it may be, but it's all about supporting the game.

76. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 12:38 theyarecomingforyou

panbient wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 11:10:
12 months after the initial funding was accomplished was last month. 12 months after they quadrupled what they asked for on kickstarter was last week. Where's the deliverable?

On track for next month? Hopefully.
Wrong. The Kickstarter finished mid-November. But let's be serious here, a game of this scale and this nature is likely to encounter delays. Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Tomb Raider (2013) and Metro: Last Light all suffered substantial delays but were exceptional games nonetheless. A delay isn't any indication that this game doesn't exist or will be bad. If games from multi-billion dollar publishers are being delayed I think it's alright to cut some slack for a crowdfunded game.

I couldn't care less if the game is delayed if it ends up better as a result of it. Other crowdfunded games have faced a similar thing, like the Double Fine game and Wasteland 2. People just have unrealistic expectations. Basically you're talking shit for the sake of it.

75. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 12:38 DG

74. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 11:37 ItBurn

panbient wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 11:30:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 11:19:
Their team is very close to the fans on the forums, in weekly videos, on their site and even in cons. They're making the game with us, this isn't an investor backed AAA game with all these rules are regulations. Stick around the community, there's amazing amounts of discussion between it and the devs.

None of this is good for actual product development. It's great for PR, not for actual development.

I disagree... People voice opinions, there's constant feedback, testing and bug reports done by the community and there's debate.

But yeah, it's PR. We basically are their bosses, so they need to cater to us and make us happy. In AAA development houses, there are videos, meetings and demos geared towards management all the time, so that the dev team can "sell" their ideas to the people who fund them. This is similar, but with us.

93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo