Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Autumn Sale

The Steam Autumn Sale 2013 is now underway, and will run until December 3rd. Today's daily deals are Save 75% on Antichamber, Save 75% on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Save 75% on Left 4 Dead 2, Save 66% on Outlast, Save 50% on Prison Architect, Save 66% on Rogue Legacy, Save 80% on Sleeping Dogs, Save 75% on Terraria, and Save 75% on The Walking Dead. Word is:

There are huge savings throughout the store, with daily deals, flash sales, and discounts on thousands of games.

Add games to your Steam Wishlist and be notified when a game from your Wishlist goes on sale, or shop for games using the Steam Mobile App, available for iOS and Android.

Be sure to check www.steampowered.com every day to see new featured deals.

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

77. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 29, 2013, 23:23 Redmask

Quinn wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 20:36:
Well, you don't like Sleeping Dogs and you're making love with AC4 as we speak. It was a rather logical assumption that you think AC4 is better than SD, since in this world 1 + 1 is still 2.

He never made the comparison so putting words in his mouth is the opposite of logical.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

76. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 29, 2013, 20:38 Quinn

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 13:50:
And anyone waiting for Skyrim to go ANY LOWER - is INSANE!

Couldn't agree with you more. Anyone who hasn't bought Skyrim yet who doesn't hate the genre, is 100% mental.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

75. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 29, 2013, 20:36 Quinn

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 22:23:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 20:48:
But the claim that Black Flag is better than Sleeping Dogs

Was never typed by me. I made no such claim, I merely said that that was the current game I was genuinely enjoying. I drew no comparisons between the two.

Sorry I just set your straw man on fire.

Well, you don't like Sleeping Dogs and you're making love with AC4 as we speak. It was a rather logical assumption that you think AC4 is better than SD, since in this world 1 + 1 is still 2.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

74. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Nov 29, 2013, 16:52 saluk

Tulwinn wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 18:21:
saluk wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 14:25:
Rogue Legacy OMGFTWWTFBBQ! There went my day yesterday...
you bought it though right? the deal is still good for another 24 hours

Haha yeah. I bought it. That's why I lost a day

73. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 23:50 Redmask

Krovven wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 05:43:
Bats got me Skyrim! Thanks bud!

What mods can folks recommend?
I'd like to get a mod that rebalances weight of items and the amount of weight I can carry. What's the best weight mod?
What is the best map mod (not markers, just the graphics)?

I'm not really interested in any graphics mods as my computer is old and decrepit. So unless it's a graphics mod that looks awesome and makes the graphics better...I probably can't run it.

I've currently installed:
- SKSE (obviously)
- The Cartographers Map Markers
- SkyUI
- Undead Books Glow
- Better Quest Objectives

- A Quality World Map with Roads (the one true map mod)
- Unofficial Skyrim Patch
- Immersive Armors
- Static Mesh Improvement Mod (will not make discernible FPS impact)
- Climates of Tamriel (way better weather)
- Cloaks of Skyrim (adds cloaks and unique collectibles with magic properties)
- Realistic Lighting Overhaul
- WATER: Water and Terrain Enhancement Redux (must have, has low fps options)
- Immersive Hud
- Lanterns of Skyrim (if your machine can handle it)
- Skyrim Flora Overhaul (if your machine can handle it)
- Auto Unequip Ammo
- Glowing Ore Veins 300 (trust me)

Instead of a weight mod, try using Bandolier, it adds pouches and bandoliers you can craft that let you carry more weight.

72. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 22:23 Burrito of Peace

Jerykk wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 20:48:
But the claim that Black Flag is better than Sleeping Dogs

Was never typed by me. I made no such claim, I merely said that that was the current game I was genuinely enjoying. I drew no comparisons between the two.

Sorry I just set your straw man on fire.

71. Skyrim Mods Nov 28, 2013, 18:57 MisterBenn

Here is my lightning / shader setup for Skyrim

Ultimate Lighting Overhaul http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/37846/?
A shader mod based on SweetFX. I tried many of them and this has a fraction of the resource drain, my system is not cutting edge and there is almost no noticable difference. I haven't played for a few months but at the time I checked out all the shader mods available and this was miles away my favourite. The emphasis is on natural colours rather than a stylised or cinematic style. They have totally succeeded at that! The different weathers and times of day use colour palettes which are so natural and convincing, it really blew my mind and I frequently stop to admire what they've done. I know a lot of people say things like that but I am really into this stuff and this mod really stands out to me as being exceptionally well done.

ELFX http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/27043/?
An environment mod that actually adjusts world spaces this time. It makes sure that lights in game actually emerge from light sources (invisible sources would flood lights into the centre of rooms in vanilla) and it adjusts the radii of light sources to be what you would expect. Some additional lamps and lights are placed around time to adequately light them up under this system.

Climates of Tamriel http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17802/?
Everyone knows this one, the definitive weather mod. Awesome with no downsides.

If you haven't tried those out I couldn't recommend them more. One of the best features of Elder Scrolls is the allure of the environment and these mods help that atmosphere a lot. Clearly these are aesthetic mods although the lighting does make indoor / sneaking gameplay different and imo far better.

Playing: Path of Exile, Trials Evolution, Magic 2014.

70. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Nov 28, 2013, 18:21 Tulwinn

saluk wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 14:25:
you bought it though right? the deal is still good for another 24 hours

69. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 14:25 saluk

I'll put in another rec for sleeping dogs, really enjoyed that game. Great atmosphere, fun combat (up until the stupid QTE at the end), decent story. Definitely beats GTAs on story and hand to hand combat. Missions do get repetitive though - it's not quite AC1 bad, but it's not great either.

Still, one of the few games like this I've done all of the content available.

68. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 13:50 xXBatmanXx

And anyone waiting for Skyrim to go ANY LOWER - is INSANE!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

67. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 13:33 xXBatmanXx

jimnms wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 10:21:

I'd like to get a mod that rebalances weight of items and the amount of weight I can carry. What's the best weight mod?

I'm not really interested in any graphics mods as my computer is old and decrepit. So unless it's a graphics mod that looks awesome and makes the graphics better...I probably can't run it.

- SKSE (obviously)
- SkyUI
- Undead Books Glow
The first thing you should get is the Unofficial patch.

I really need to finish Skyrim. Every now and then I update my mods intending to finish. I'll play around in it to make sure the mods are working, run around and kill shit, not do quests and not save, but then I don't come back to finish the game.

I just took a quick look at what mods I have installed. Most of the mods I have installed are visual improvements that effect performance, or add immersion:

I can't stand the 3D map, so I use Warburgs 3D Paper World Map. Unfortunately you can't get around the map being 3D, so that mod does its best to work around that by locking the view to top down to give it the appearance of a 2D paper map.

A few misc. mods I picked out of the list that shouldn't effect performance:
Book Covers Skyrim
Immersive HUD
Realistic Needs and Diseases
Run For Your Lives

What are you looking for in weight rebalance (carry more or less)? I'm not using any at the moment since you can already carry a ridiculous amount of crap. If you want to carry more, your carry weight increases when you upgrade your stamina. I think there are some perks that let you carry more, and some that reduce armor weights, and you can carry more by finding and activating the Steed Stone. If you're just wanting to carry more you can cheat and use the console commands to increase your carry weight.

I've bookmarked one called Realistic Carry Weight for my next game to make it harder. There are a ton of weight mods, just search for weight on the Skyrim Nexus.

There's post on Reddit with a good list of mods too.

I have installed:
Unread Books Glow
Dovahkin Mountain Retreat (gives you things you woudn't have so might break experience)
House Map Markers
Breezehome Basement
Will Creek Cottage - Quests
Faction Pit Fighter
Places (a long list)
Quests (top rated ones from Workshop)
Towns and Villages Enhanced (looks awesome)
Realistic Lighting
Improved Interior Lighting
Pure Waters

And I am pretty happy with those.
My character is pretty high level, so I didn't mind throwing in an extra house instead of building one. Also acts as a nice warp point to drop equipment I want to keep.

see ya!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

66. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 12:46 dj LiTh

Xero wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 07:38:
I'm waiting out for maybe Skyrim once it hits Flash Sale level. Remember to wait for that. I'm sure it'll drop down another 10% making it practically 3 shells. Lol.

From what i've seen the past few years, if something is on a daily deal its the best deal thats gonna happen. At the most the flash sale would only match it. If i were you i'd grab the legendary now and make out like a bandit and enjoy one of the better games in recent memory.

65. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 12:06 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 11:21:
Ok the GMG sale has started - 4 deals every 4 hours. Bioshock Infinite is on atm for $10.

Skyrim mods? Get the Hi-Rez pack off of Steam. The Sabre Cat mount rocks. Immersive Weapons and Immersive Armor are sweet. Pure Waters is a must. Climates of Tamriel makes a big difference. Auto Unequip Ammo - if you use a bow at all. Realistic Lighting Overhaul and Enhanced Lights and FX make a huge difference too. Staic Mesh Improvement Mod las but not least.

Never heard of some of those mods. Thanks Cutter. I'll try some of them on my next playthrough.

Right now I keep getting my butt handed to me in XCOM EW on classic/ironman. Not sure I'll ever win at that difficulty...

64. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 11:58 jdreyer

Desalus wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 15:48:
It seems like a lot of gamers are waiting for the Skyrim DLC price to drop. It's ridiculous that you have to pay more for all three DLC than you would if you bought the legendary edition. Makes me wonder if Bethesda is just trying to milk more money out of the dedicated fans who bought the game prior to the legendary version.

What you call "milking" I call a good deal as each of those DLC has 30+ hours of gameplay.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

63. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 11:54 jdreyer

PHJF wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 14:14:
buy rogue legacy you fucks

Yeah, as soon as I saw it in the list in this post I went and bought it. Also picked up Gone Home for $5 (was part of the flash sale).

I actually didn't haven't anything on Steam since last year in an attempt to clear... well, okay, REDUCE my backlog. But too many good games have come out since then, so I guess I'll be spending money.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

62. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 11:54 HorrorScope

Dev wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 23:52:
Since valve LOVES hiding the link of all items on sale when there's a sale and they screw with their front page (its like they don't want people to find all their sale items and make money or something), here it is:
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?specials=1

And still that doesn't even pick them all up. Baldur's EE is on sale, but that list for some reason doesn't show it.

61. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 11:49 NegaDeath

Or you could do like this PCGamer writer did and install EVERYTHING.  

60. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 11:21 Cutter

Ok the GMG sale has started - 4 deals every 4 hours. Bioshock Infinite is on atm for $10.

Skyrim mods? Get the Hi-Rez pack off of Steam. The Sabre Cat mount rocks. Immersive Weapons and Immersive Armor are sweet. Pure Waters is a must. Climates of Tamriel makes a big difference. Auto Unequip Ammo - if you use a bow at all. Realistic Lighting Overhaul and Enhanced Lights and FX make a huge difference too. Staic Mesh Improvement Mod las but not least.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

59. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 10:21 jimnms

- SKSE (obviously)
- SkyUI
- Undead Books Glow
The first thing you should get is the Unofficial patch.

I really need to finish Skyrim. Every now and then I update my mods intending to finish. I'll play around in it to make sure the mods are working, run around and kill shit, not do quests and not save, but then I don't come back to finish the game.

I just took a quick look at what mods I have installed. Most of the mods I have installed are visual improvements that effect performance, or add immersion:

I can't stand the 3D map, so I use Warburgs 3D Paper World Map. Unfortunately you can't get around the map being 3D, so that mod does its best to work around that by locking the view to top down to give it the appearance of a 2D paper map.

A few misc. mods I picked out of the list that shouldn't effect performance:
Book Covers Skyrim
Immersive HUD
Realistic Needs and Diseases
Run For Your Lives

What are you looking for in weight rebalance (carry more or less)? I'm not using any at the moment since you can already carry a ridiculous amount of crap. If you want to carry more, your carry weight increases when you upgrade your stamina. I think there are some perks that let you carry more, and some that reduce armor weights, and you can carry more by finding and activating the Steed Stone. If you're just wanting to carry more you can cheat and use the console commands to increase your carry weight.

I've bookmarked one called Realistic Carry Weight for my next game to make it harder. There are a ton of weight mods, just search for weight on the Skyrim Nexus.

There's post on Reddit with a good list of mods too.

Steam Profile

58. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 10:08 Dev

Creston wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 01:55:
Dev wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 23:52:
Also. ENHANCED STEAM. NOW.
http://www.enhancedsteam.com/
Its a chrome extension, saves so much time and headaches. Does things like show what you own in lists (including DLC), and how many people on your friends list own or wishlist things, etc. And SO MUCH MORE.

Also, don't forget
http://www.isthereanydeal.com
You can login with your steam account and it can optionally email you (I have it set to once a day) when things on your wishlist go on sale. It also tells you where something is cheapest, and whats the historical lower price, shows bundles, etc etc.

To each their own, but... you're logging into third party websites with your Steam account details? So... whenever some schmuck at those websites decides to steal your shit, you've just given him free access to do just that.

That's not how it works. Think openid or facebook login. It connects to steam and you login through steam only, the website just gets the token, not your login.
In fact, steam actually uses the openid library. Here's some details on the API
http://steamcommunity.com/dev

Also, I checked again. The isthereanydeal site appears to only need your community link, and doesn't use the steam API to login (and of course your profile needs to be public for it to read it). I'd have to create a new account to verify 100%, but that seems to be the case from looking at the settings.

The enhanced steam plugin, not 100% sure one way or the other. Its been a while.

Probably, the sites that do use the steam API to log in were blurring in my memory with the sites that use just your profile link and your public profile info.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2013, 10:26.

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo