Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur

Curt Schilling tweets about the misstep the world is making by not pursuing the Amalur franchise that ate so many of his quarters and gave him a heart attack (thanks nin): "If someone were to buy Amalur, put team back on it, it's a billion dollar franchise, 2 years later and still no ones done what we were doing."

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 19:11 shihonage

A schilling quote.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 13:19 Suppa7

Curt is full of shit, Amalur sucked. The story was bad and poorly put together and the combat model was that of an action game. It should have been a full action RPG god of war hybrid instead of fucking putting a huge empty monotonous MMO world where combat was spaced the hell out.

The problem with amalur is it tried to combine MMO's open world with the combta of an action game. The two things *don't go together*. The reason games like god of war work is that they keep the levels tight and focused. The whole open world craze adds enormous amounts of boring travelling because there's not much to do in a single player game. The reason MMO's get away with big huge ass boring to travel worlds is that their playerbase is a bunch of weirdo's. When making a single player console game you got to keep the fun factor and action consistent. Darksiders 2 suffered from the same pacing problem Amaulr did, these huge empty worlds where there was no feeling of excitement and the lack of challenge and combat get boring very fast.

They needed to make the game smaller and more tight. The whole problem with amalur was the resources were spread too thin. They tried to make too much instead of just focusing on something smaller and polished.

The arrogance of schilling and the stupidity of big huge for trying to do something too ambitious.

Big huge has always had a problem with aesthetics (art) consistency. Amalur and older games like Rise of legends had these same weird art inconsistencies as well.

If you're going to make a new world you need to make it compelling and feel like it makes sense and not just some nerd wet dream.

If you look at old games like quake 3 and rise of legends, it's not cool to just add in everything and the kitchen sink. You'll notice that the dev teams had horrible aesthetic consistency despite decent quality looking art.

In a game like quake 3 that didn't matter so much, but when building a franchise you need to be a bit more consistent. The look of the characters have to feel like they belong. Consider childrens cartoon shows, there's a reason Gobots (transformers knockoff) could never compete with transformers. The style of the characters and the world never captured anyones imagination the same way.

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2013, 13:41.

23. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 11:09 Creston

nin wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 08:57:
Creston wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 00:10:
Billion dollar franchise. Rolleyes

Curt, please just stick to baseball. For the love of all that's Holy.

That was the line that caused me to send it in...I had to check the link in question, thinking it had to be a misprint.

Oh no, Curt genuinely believes that they were making the videogame to end all videogames, even though by everything we've heard and snippets we've seen, it looked to be an absolutely 100% bog-standard MMO with 'lore' written by a hack writer. I will say it did look very pretty, at least art direction wise.

If it ever were to be released, it'd get a million people buying it, 70% quitting after a month when they've stormed through all the content, and it'd go F2P in 6 months, after which it would languish in MMO-obscurity with all the other F2P MMOs that you never hear anything about anymore.

22. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 10:52 PHJF

It wasn't a bad game. Unfortunately they didn't do enough to make combat unique or interesting and they didn't use Todd McFarlane to the best of his abilities. If you like Divinity 2 you may very well enjoy Amalur.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

21. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 10:44 HorrorScope

Redmask wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 07:32:
It was a really average RPG hybrid, he has no idea what he's talking about.

Talking about the MMO and not the RPG. The issue I had with the RPG was it was way too easy. There were some mods I used, but it was hard to balance this thing in quite right. In general it was a pretty good looking RPG, with a above average combat model.

20. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 09:39 Verno

$8 better spent on other games more worthy of your time.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

19. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 09:21 Task

Amalur is just 8 bucks, all DLC, on amazon for PC. Key is redeemable on Origin.  

18. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 09:04 Phasenoise

To my recollection, Amalur is the first game I bought but never finished. I finished Trespasser for god's sake.
SO bland and generic. I describe it a all the excitement common in the mechanics of MMO gameplay with all the social excitement of a single player game.

17. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 08:57 nin

Creston wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 00:10:

That was the line that caused me to send it in...I had to check the link in question, thinking it had to be a misprint.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

16. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 07:32 Redmask

It was a really average RPG hybrid, he has no idea what he's talking about.  

15. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 04:47 Nathos

December 11th was the intended date, but an internal communication fault occurred.

The results were pretty hilarious though. Thank you internet, humanity gets a reprieve.

14. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 04:38 Julio

"2 years later and still no ones done what we were doing"

Is he talking about ripping off taxpayers? I think that's pretty commonplace too.

Curt's comments really show why he really should have stuck with baseball. Amalur will probably sell for the price of a happy meal, or nothing at all.

13. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 03:05 Fletch

"2 years later and still no ones done what we were doing"

He just answered several of his own questions.

12. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 00:10 Creston

11. Re: Into the Black Nov 27, 2013, 00:03 Prez

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 22:35:
nin wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 22:29:
Is he from the future or the past? I'm a little confused right now...

Maybe Curt is a Terminator sent back to find John Connor by getting him to register for boring games?

No, it's gotta be Skynet. Skynet is getting ever more sly in its machinations! Kingdom of Alamur will actually become Skynet and bore the human race into extinction.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 26, 2013, 22:41 jdreyer

Shorter Curt: Reality, it's difficult.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9. Re: Into the Black Nov 26, 2013, 22:35 NegaDeath

nin wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 22:29:

Maybe Curt is a Terminator sent back to find John Connor by getting him to register for boring games?

8. Re: Into the Black Nov 26, 2013, 22:29 nin

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 22:28:
Nathos wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 22:07:
November 11th, we'll find out what the rest of the world thinks of your former company's IP, Mr. Schilling.

What did we find out?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: Into the Black Nov 26, 2013, 22:28 HorrorScope

Nathos wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 22:07:
November 11th, we'll find out what the rest of the world thinks of your former company's IP, Mr. Schilling.

What did we find out?

6. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 26, 2013, 22:14 Cutter

Had it released at WoW's peak they probably would have been ok. Fact is they made a console CRPG based on as a yet to launch MMO WoW-clone and thought the PC crowd would just swallow it up. Hard lesson learned.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo