Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games

Double Fine has regained the rights to Costume Quest and Stacking, and both games will be re-released along with Psychonauts at retail next year for Windows and OS X. Here's what went down:

Double Fine Productions and Nordic Games have announced that Double Fine has reacquired all the publishing and distribution rights to its games Costume Quest and Stacking. Additionally, Double Fine has decided to partner with Nordic Games to bring retail release of Psychonauts, Costume Quest, and Stacking for Windows and Mac in North America and Europe during the first half of 2014.

"I am pleased that we have regained full control over Costume Quest and Stacking, following a daring and top-secret midnight raid on the Nordic Games headquarters in Vienna," said Double Fine president and CEO Tim Schafer.

"We can't wait to partner with Double Fine for this upcoming retail launch of three of its most excellent games," said Lars Wingefors, owner and CEO of Nordic Games. "However, I feel compelled to point out that we were happy to transfer distribution rights for Costume Quest and Stacking back to Double Fine in an entirely non-secretive and heist-free manner."

Nordic Games previously acquired the distribution rights to Stacking and Costume Quest upon the bankruptcy of former publisher THQ in early 2013.

"Double Fine is dedicated to controlling its own IP, and we will continue working to bring all associated rights back in-house whenever possible," said Double Fine business development VP Justin Bailey, "no matter how many split-second security system hacks or painstaking tunneling operations we have to execute."

"I just want to clarify, again, that we support the right of independent developers to control their own distribution, and we were pleased to have the opportunity to work with Double Fine," said Klemens Kreuzer, Managing Director at Nordic Games. "No heists."

Psychonauts was originally released at retail in 2005, but for years has been available only through digital distribution. The upcoming retail launch will mark the first time Costume Quest and Stacking have been available as physical releases.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 27, 2013, 06:41 Overmann

You could always use ResidualVM to play Grim

And some fans are working on Grim Fandango Deluxe
There goals are to:
1. Improve texture quality.
2. Remodel the characters.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 27, 2013, 06:10 Neuenc

Double Fine -> Darksiders 3? It's my pipe dream and I'll hold on to it!  

13. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 27, 2013, 01:21 dj LiTh

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 16:01:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 13:25:
Congrats Double Fine, but why would you release them at retail, when you have Steam, GoG, GMG and Origin?
Because not everyone has broadband still, or some people it's prohibitively expensive still to use broadband. An example: 12GB/mo costs me $120 right now(northern alberta), because there are no DSL ports available, and no cable over internet here.

Not everyone has a computer either, but that shouldnt stop pc game devs either. As for 12gb for 120$ are you on satellite or something jesus christ.

12. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 26, 2013, 22:20 .Drifter

Hmm, I wonder if this is really where their Kickstarter money went, and why they're doing a pre-purchase beta . . .  

11. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 26, 2013, 17:14 Paketep

Good, but I'm still waiting for them to remove Games for Windows Shit from Iron Brigade.

It would be nice for that game to be playable sometime before I die.

10. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 26, 2013, 16:49 Cutter

wtf_man wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 15:40:
I just want Grim Fandango... supporting modern OS's, processor speeds (no need to use moslow), and resolutions.

There is no real need for a graphics overhaul.

I wonder if they can wrestle that away from Disney.

Goddamned right, man! I'd give a lot to see an updated Grim Fandango and a prequel or sequel to it. Wouldn't mind seeing something with Day of the Testicle as well. Even if Disney won't give it to Tim they should something with those properties. And Outlaws. That would be natch for Disney given their animation strengths.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 26, 2013, 16:07 Ray Marden

It's always good news when the original developer can get access to publishing rights.

In the meantime, I hope they will go back and update these releases as well. I played Costume Quest on the PC (part of some package I bought at one of the discount places,) but I could not run it full screen due to an incompatibility with either CF or Windows 8. I played it for a bit in Windowed mode, but ended up giving up on it.
Bring forth the Windows 8 haters. I demand it!
Driving the waaahhhhmbulance,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

8. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 26, 2013, 16:01 Mashiki Amiketo

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 13:25:
Congrats Double Fine, but why would you release them at retail, when you have Steam, GoG, GMG and Origin?
Because not everyone has broadband still, or some people it's prohibitively expensive still to use broadband. An example: 12GB/mo costs me $120 right now(northern alberta), because there are no DSL ports available, and no cable over internet here.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 26, 2013, 15:40 wtf_man

I just want Grim Fandango... supporting modern OS's, processor speeds (no need to use moslow), and resolutions.

There is no real need for a graphics overhaul.

I wonder if they can wrestle that away from Disney.

6. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 26, 2013, 15:07 EricFate

Cool. I hope they merchandize the hell out of it. I need some Psychonauts action figures, stat!  

5. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 26, 2013, 14:00 Creston

Good for them.  

4. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 26, 2013, 13:49 Xil

Psychonauts also has a linux release, thats not mentioned and sadly not for the other 2 either  

3. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 26, 2013, 13:30 Wallshadows

Psychonauts was good and all but I doubt they'll get anywhere with a retail release as far as sales are concerned.  

2. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 26, 2013, 13:25 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

1. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 26, 2013, 13:01 jdreyer

Isn't it great when everything works out and people do the right thing?

Also, that press release is pretty funny.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo