Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million

Another day, another million. A new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries website reveals the crowd funding for Star Citizen has hit $31 million, which triggers a stretch goal they hadn't warned us about. Word is:

Hitting $31 million means you unlock the first of the player-selected role ships, the RSI Orion! Like the Starfarer, the Orion is the kind of ship you probably wouldn’t have flown in Wing Commander… but we intend to make it just as interesting as a fighter or a bomber!

• RSI Orion – Roberts Space Industries’ goal has always been to make the stars available to individual Citizens. Now, with the RSI Orion mining platform, RSI is letting individuals take over a process formerly controlled by megacorporations. The Orion’s features include high-grade turret-mounted tractor beam arrays, durable exterior-accessible ‘saddlebags’ for mineral storage and a cabin designed by the team that brought you the Aurora and Constellation!

The voting is a lot closer now, but it looks like “Explorer” has edged out the crowd to be our next ship!

View
97 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

97. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 27, 2013, 10:49 Quinn

If this game doesn't have explorable, open-world planets to land on manually... I'm outraged by default.

I know the following comment will be naive as fuck, but a nice and fleshed out space sim cannot be that hard or cost that much money. After all, it's literally empty space covered by a high resultion background with some cool models floating about, namely:

- Spaceships
- Space stations
- Astroids
- 3D orbs called planets

Add some awesome physics to the ships and some damage parameters to the ships and their laser-pew-pews and we're done.

Seriously, explorable open-world planets is a must.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

96. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 27, 2013, 09:44 MyRealName

If with $33M+, they can't produce seamless planetfall and procedurally generated environments to roam (even if it's not terribly exciting), then they're not trying hard enough and I'll wait for an indie or Braben to do it right.

Thousands on ships. Pah!

95. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 27, 2013, 09:18 panbient

Parias wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 21:14:
We'll have to see how the gameplay mechanics end up coming together.

I'm sorry but this line right here... this is terrifying. A full year of crowd sourcing and an order of magnitude more money than the next nearest endeavor and the game mechanics are still being fleshed out?

Yikes...

94. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 27, 2013, 09:12 Xero

In reality, 1 million is being spent on the cost of the game. 30 million is going to each person on the development team, lol. Did you realize how almost every sentence ended with an exclamation point? That should more like be an, LoL at the end. They are laughing all the way to the bank.  

Currently playing: Skyrim

93. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 27, 2013, 06:14 InBlack

I also have serious reservations about how a game designed to be an MMO will translate into a single-player experience. (Apart from the Squadron42 thing)

Playing any MMO solo is one of the worst things I have ever experienced (with a few notable exceptions, usually starting areas).

I personally would be satisfied with a fully fleshed out Squadron42 campaign. As long as its not arcadey like Freelancer was. Im downloading the Wing Commander New Dawn (Freespace2 stand-alone mod) as we speak. Have heard good things about it but have never tried it before.

I have a nifty blue line!

92. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 27, 2013, 04:47 Julio

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 20:55:
Here is the #1 comeback for this game not being PTW or people paying for ships..... USER RUN SERVERS. It renders all of that as BS and Useless. And I for one giggle and love it.

Assuming that fully featured user run servers are in the final game. I'm highly doubting a P2W style game ends up allowing that.

91. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 27, 2013, 03:49 mag

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 22:31:
I hear at 40 million, the size of the Star Citizen universe will be twice the size of the real known universe. This should be interesting. It will take your children's children to a factor of 100 to make it outside your home galaxy in Star Citizen.

I hear that at 50 million they're going to simulate physics down to the atomic level, including quantum mechanical effects. They've also figured out a way to model general relativistic effects in a way that's consistent with QM. It's going to be pretty awesome.

90. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 27, 2013, 03:30 InBlack

Quboid wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 21:07:
That's encouraging, Parias. I thought that in the outer reaches of space, PvP will be common. How much scope will there be to peacefully explore online?

Fair point too HorrorScope. I wonder what would happen if they decided not to allow 3rd party servers.

Exactly my thought, it makes no sense to make an online F2P (P2W) MMO and then allow people to host their own servers or even play in a single player version of the world. Especially if they make it terribly grindy, which is a prerequisite to making money in an MMO. So much of what they said is so damn contradictive in nature. Which is another damn reason Im so damn mistrustful...

I have a nifty blue line!

89. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 27, 2013, 02:06 dj LiTh

Ryan Lange wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 00:33:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 18:11:
@88fingers, when they have raised an order of magnitude more than any other game maker in history, it's health to be suspicious.

I don't see anyone accusing World of Warcraft of being a fraud. I do think Blizzard has probably beaten RSI with just WoW.

Oh ya? So was WoW crowdfunded? The two have nothing even remotely similar about them.

88. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 27, 2013, 00:33 Ryan Lange

jdreyer wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 18:11:
@88fingers, when they have raised an order of magnitude more than any other game maker in history, it's health to be suspicious.

I don't see anyone accusing World of Warcraft of being a fraud. I do think Blizzard has probably beaten RSI with just WoW.

87. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 27, 2013, 00:25 BadIronTree

33.000.000 bitches :PPP

2 millions per day

86. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 27, 2013, 00:08 Ryan Lange

BobBob wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 11:46:
Why would anyone put money into a video game as an investment instead of compounding mutual or index funds? Stupid.

I think it's stupid to assume that anyone putting money into this is doing so because they think of it as some kind of financial investment opportunity. I mean, no one would accuse someone who just spend $60 on Grand Theft Auto V of making a stupid financial investment, would they? So why are you doing that here?

I seriously doubt anyone pledging money is expecting to get money back.

I get that some of you think these people are acting dumb in some ill-defined way, but that's no excuse to start saying stupid things yourself.

85. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 27, 2013, 00:00 Prez

If you're buying something that isn't just cosmetic with real money, it's pay to win.

Assuming the game is somehow competitive in nature, this is pretty much it in a nutshell. The only question is just HOW pay-to-win it is. Of course, as someone already mentioned (EDIT: that would be Horrorscope! ), user-run servers will mitigate or even eliminate that issue. I plan on only playing single player, so it's a moot point for me.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

84. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 22:31 HorrorScope

I hear at 40 million, the size of the Star Citizen universe will be twice the size of the real known universe. This should be interesting. It will take your children's children to a factor of 100 to make it outside your home galaxy in Star Citizen.  

83. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 21:14 Parias

Quboid wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 21:07:
That's encouraging, Parias. I thought that in the outer reaches of space, PvP will be common. How much scope will there be to peacefully explore online?

That's a fair question and not one we really have clear answers to yet sadly. We do know they'll have ships and gameplay mechanics expressly oriented around exploration, but there's a good chance that much of it will be based around riskier parts of space (which would arguably make the experience more exciting).

There's talks of a "PVP slider" that determines your chances of encountering other real players instead of NPCs, but I think it becomes less effective if you're in less secure areas. We'll have to see how the gameplay mechanics end up coming together.

82. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 21:07 Quboid

Fair point too HorrorScope. I wonder what would happen if they decided not to allow 3rd party servers.

- Quboid

81. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 20:55 HorrorScope

Quboid wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 20:10:
Atoth wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 19:12:
SC isn't really P2W. Sure you can spend $1000+ on a huge ship with all kinds of bells and whistles but that's not going to stop someone from using their much cheaper in-game bought bomber to explode your ass... Heck the large ships are going to be much less maneuverable so without a good crew or wingman protecting you you'll probably be in big trouble against enemies anyway.

These aren't premium ships either that can only be bought with real money, everything can be bought in-game so everyone can get whatever ships they want. Hell the best components for your ship will come from in-game, not stock from the store.

That's what pay to win is. Quite a few P2W games sell you content which is unlockable, it's still paying to have an advantage in the game. If you're buying something that isn't just cosmetic with real money, it's pay to win.

If you get blown up by someone in a fancier ship with fancier weapons, are you going to think "well that guy's one hell of a player", or are you going to think "damn kids with their dad's credit card"? By the sounds of it, in Star Citizen I'm going to think the later and to me, that's a big problem.

I don't know enough about the game at this point to either dismiss or to invest (ahem) in it but the business model worries me. Pay to win in a game which isn't even free to play. That's not cool.

Here is the #1 comeback for this game not being PTW or people paying for ships..... USER RUN SERVERS. It renders all of that as BS and Useless. And I for one giggle and love it.

80. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 20:45 Parias

Quboid wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 20:10:
If you get blown up by someone in a fancier ship with fancier weapons, are you going to think "well that guy's one hell of a player", or are you going to think "damn kids with their dad's credit card"? By the sounds of it, in Star Citizen I'm going to think the later and to me, that's a big problem.

That doesn't sound consistent with the game's design at all though. It's not some random online deathmatch arena - the game is based around an NPC-driven live universe. If some guy goes on a killing rampage with his thousand dollar warship within the first five seconds of gameplay, he'll lose that ship pretty fast when the space-police crack down (as well as suffer a reputation hit which may keep the police pissed off at him). And ship replacement won't be instantaneous for him either.

In fact, given the nature of the game, you might never even see said player at all. There's a pretty low chance of someone with an expensive ship negatively impacting your gameplay experience unless you go into a low-security area and / or explicitly go looking for trouble.

As for the impact this may have on intentional combat, well, read this:

"I should also point out that Voyager Direct is intended only to sell cosmetic items or basic ship items that would be available on pretty much any planet – the better items will always have to be bought by actually flying to the appropriate planet or earning the via gameplay. There is no need to buy anything from Voyager Direct – it is all OPTIONAL and should be viewed the same way that you view paying for a subscription or buying a skin. All of this will be earnable in the game, without too much time invested.

I’m very opposed to having a game where ANY of the items, outside of your initial game / ship package can be only purchased with cash. I hate the bifurcation of items in most online games, even when they are just for flair items. I want Star Citizen to allow players to earn everything they need in-game for ships, upgrades and even flair.

Our plan is once Star Citizen is launched the games ongoing running and content costs (which will be significant as we’re a data & content heavy game) will be supported by the ongoing purchase of new game packages as well as the money the game will earn by some of the players choosing to buy some UEC credits with real money as they don’t have the time or patience to earn the item in game (and for this I wanted to establish a cap so someone can’t just come in and buy everything, although with a skill based game with a heavy rock paper scissors approach to ship design and weapons this won’t help that much as you think). We are making the bet that this will be enough to cover the game ongoing running costs and we will not need a subscription like other big online games live Eve Online or World of War Craft. But it is a risk as we’re taking some of the things that games use to support on-going running costs like sale of flair items and making them not require money just gameplay."

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2013, 20:50.

79. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 20:10 Quboid

Atoth wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 19:12:
SC isn't really P2W. Sure you can spend $1000+ on a huge ship with all kinds of bells and whistles but that's not going to stop someone from using their much cheaper in-game bought bomber to explode your ass... Heck the large ships are going to be much less maneuverable so without a good crew or wingman protecting you you'll probably be in big trouble against enemies anyway.

These aren't premium ships either that can only be bought with real money, everything can be bought in-game so everyone can get whatever ships they want. Hell the best components for your ship will come from in-game, not stock from the store.

That's what pay to win is. Quite a few P2W games sell you content which is unlockable, it's still paying to have an advantage in the game. If you're buying something that isn't just cosmetic with real money, it's pay to win.

I don't know enough about the game at this point to either dismiss or to invest (ahem) in it but the business model worries me. Pay to win in a game which isn't even free to play. That's not cool.

- Quboid

78. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 19:45 1badmf

mlw wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 19:35:
I played all of the Wing Commanders, Privateer and Freelancer. I loved them all.

But, for me, the greatest joy is to start with a cheap crappy ship and earn in-game money to improve it and move up to better ships.

So, I have only invested $30 in SC way back at the beginning. It is unbelievable to have gathered such a huge sum.

i feel i'll have a similar approach. i've bought an aurora lx as my basic space truck, but i also somewhat splurged on a 315p to scratch that deep space explorer urge. really tempted to get one of the bigger ships, or maybe one of the fighters so i can be a bounty hunter... ugh NO MORE SPENDING.

97 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo