Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Reviews Open Beta

Valve announces they are now in open beta testing Steam Reviews, helping fill the Internet's dearth of conflicting opinions. Here's how this works:

Valve today announced the beta launch of Steam Reviews, adding more ways Steam users may share their experiences with others and make more informed purchase decisions.

Users considering a purchase on Steam may now browse reviews from friends and the community, leave comments on reviews, and indicate which reviews they found helpful.

Once a user has played a game or used a software title on Steam, they are able to write a review of that product and share their experience with everyone on Steam.

Steam Reviews is an evolution of the Recommendation system that has been a part of Steam since 2010. Over the past few years, Steam users have written over 7 million Recommendations of games and software to their friends. Those Recommendations have been upgraded to Steam Reviews. As such, users may now choose to make their past Recommendations visible as Reviews to everyone on Steam, if they wish, by visiting their list of Reviews and changing the settings accordingly.

Steam Reviews is currently in open beta, accessible to any Steam user.

For more information, please visit www.steampowered.com/reviews

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 28, 2013, 02:43 Jerykk

Ladron3dfx wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 23:05:
This is a disaster waiting to happen, destined to be rife with abuse. Games on Steam are released in an unfinished state, alphas, betas, broken mechanic. Negative reviews will be created by the hundreds, devs/pubs will remove said negative reviews, gamers will rally, protest and lead boycotts of said game. All within the Steam service.

Steam forums are rife with stupidity, boneheads and fanboys. Now you'll get to read their reviews. Wonderful. Thumbsup

Not sure if you're aware of this but the store page of every game on Steam shows its Metacritic score. If you click on said score, you are taken to the Metacritic page where you can view the User Scores as well. So, if publishers were concerned about negative reviews, wouldn't they have demanded that Steam remove the Metacritic score from the store?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 28, 2013, 02:39 Jerykk

Wesp5 wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 03:31:
Suppa7 wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:26:
How the fuck anyone with any hint of what makes a good FPS can give Shadow warrior 2013 a fucking 74 (aka bad game) is pretty braindead.

Uh, Shadow Warrior 2013 was a pretty boring game! The same enemies in only marginal different arenas all over again until the end. The same goes for the bosses, everyone defeatable with the same trick. Maybe there is a minority who still loves something like this, but even the yearly CoD games are more interesting with their linear showpieces...

I thought the combat in SW was tremendously enjoyable. Slicing enemies up with the sword never got old. I also played on the highest difficulty. I imagine that playing on Normal is far less interesting, as the enemies would basically just be cannon fodder.

And no, you can't defeat all the enemies with the same trick. Unlike CoD, most of the enemies in SW require different tactics to dispatch. Using melee on a regular grunt works fine and dandy but using it on the exploding dudes is a bad idea. When you play on the highest difficulty, you also have to make intelligent use of most of your powers, otherwise you get overwhelmed by the angry hordes of enemies.

I also thought the level design was pretty enjoyable. While it's true that it did make heavy use of arenas for the enemy encounters, the abundant secrets and collectibles encouraged exploration outside of combat, something you don't really see in modern shooters.

34. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 26, 2013, 03:31 Wesp5

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:26:
How the fuck anyone with any hint of what makes a good FPS can give Shadow warrior 2013 a fucking 74 (aka bad game) is pretty braindead.

Uh, Shadow Warrior 2013 was a pretty boring game! The same enemies in only marginal different arenas all over again until the end. The same goes for the bosses, everyone defeatable with the same trick. Maybe there is a minority who still loves something like this, but even the yearly CoD games are more interesting with their linear showpieces...

33. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 23:31 Task

ACM was a bad game. So my steam 'recommendation' review stated my experience - it was a bad game.  

32. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 23:05 Ladron3dfx

This is a disaster waiting to happen, destined to be rife with abuse. Games on Steam are released in an unfinished state, alphas, betas, broken mechanic. Negative reviews will be created by the hundreds, devs/pubs will remove said negative reviews, gamers will rally, protest and lead boycotts of said game. All within the Steam service.

Steam forums are rife with stupidity, boneheads and fanboys. Now you'll get to read their reviews. Wonderful. Thumbsup

Steamworks

31. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 18:59 Axis

I'll always choose mass user reviews. Very easy to quickly come up with a solid personal aggregate by filtering the honeymoon gushers and trashers.  

Yours truly,

Axis

30. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 18:07 jacobvandy

Looks like there might be a bug right now that prevents showing the actual amount of time people have played the game in some cases (probably where it was converted from a recommendation into a review), but yes, that stat is shown at the top of every review, right under where it says either "Recommended" or "Not Recommended" with a thumbs-up or thumbs-down.  

29. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 17:40 dj LiTh

As much as i disagree with the direction valve has been trying to take steam lately, this is not one of them. I'm actually looking forward to this. Reviews by people who actually bought the game and by people in your friends list. Thats going to be a good feature in my book.  

28. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 17:38 Creston

Awesome. So now we can read the illiterate ramblings of 12 year old stoolies on Steam as well as Metacritic! PROGRESS!

At least it's a start that people need to own the game. Will it track time played as well?

27. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 16:45 Frijoles

jdreyer wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:55:
What they need is some kind of ranking system for both reviews and reviewers. That way the cream can float to the head of the class. It's not rocket surgery.

There's a "was this helpful" button on the reviews. Maybe that'll float the cream. They turned the recommendations in to reviews, so a lot of them (like mine) were short one-liners. Hope to see more from this system.

26. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 16:09 SpectralMeat

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 15:26:
Hmm could become a reliable source for game reviews. The fact you actually have to own and have played the game you are reviewing is a huge plus. Not saying it can't be abused, but it becomes less likely.
My thoughts exactly.
Will be more reliable then Metacritic that's for sure.

Steam: SpectralMeat

25. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 16:09 Krovven

From what I can tell in the Steam Review info, a numerical value is not attributed to the review and no aggregate value applied to the games review score. The reviews can also be down/up voted. Edit: they are apparently going to add this at some point in the beta, so we'll see how it works.

So I see no reason why this will turn into a venue to trash games unjustly. Even if someone does trash a game unjustly, you can simply down vote the review and ignore it and still make your own choice.

Edit: The FAQ also states that you have to have launched the game from your Steam account to be able to write a review, and abusive reviews can be reported. Developers can also have abusive reviews removed if deemed to be so by a moderator. In addition Developers can respond to reviews.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2013, 16:17.

24. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 15:26 Yosemite Sam

Hmm could become a reliable source for game reviews. The fact you actually have to own and have played the game you are reviewing is a huge plus. Not saying it can't be abused, but it becomes less likely.  

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

23. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 15:07 jacobvandy

Double post..  

22. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 15:06 jacobvandy

What I'm seeing now in the Steam store is that you can only review it if you own it. A little text input appears where the "You already own this game -- PLAY NOW" thing used to be.

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:54:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:43:
In general, a 74 is an average game. Nothing special, but not a waste of money, either. I'm not sure what more you could ask for when talking about a rehashed old-school FPS?

Ahh one of the illiterate masses...

All FPS games are rehashes, if you're going to use that logic we could ask why plenty of other FPS rehashes don't get that kind of score especially when they are infinitely worse?

What SW did was bring back more fast paced action oriented fps that can never go out of style when done right. I imagine you've played many 'rehashes' over the years since almost every videogame released is a rehash of past games. To say a game is 'a rehash' is pretty stupid since the design of the game matters more than the genre.

The same way call of duty 4 (the original) was genuinely a good game but then they milked it to death.

Haha, okay buddy. Lash out if it makes you feel better about yourself. It's not a rehash in the sense that it uses pre-existing mechanics, or is even a very similar sequel in a series... It's a DIRECT REMAKE of a game from 15 years ago. That's a fact. But go ahead and keep being so blinded by your fanboyism that you don't even notice I never actually stated my own opinion of it (what you quoted is the definition of the scale). In reality, I was agreeing with you that MetaCritic is often terrible in how it represents things. So eat me.

21. Re: dcross@neverwhen.org Nov 25, 2013, 14:57 saluk

Minuit wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:48:
Primalchrome wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:15:
InBlack wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:03:
How would they be held accountable? Pray tell, please.
....er...because they will have an account they're invested in linked to the reviews?

I think there's more to it than that.

Current cost of a Steam account: $0.

Number of accounts which could launch a free game, launch a game on a free weekend, or use family sharing to launch a title only once, giving them the right to review it: Unlimited.

Total investment required to create an arbitrarily large number of accounts which have no visible link back to your own for the purpose of flooding the review system: Only time, something which The Internet seems to have too much on its hands already.

Even if you tried to use "number of games owned" as a kind of filter to cut out astroturf accounts, you can buy about a half dozen Humble Bundle Steam keys for only $1, meaning that a throw-away account with a noticeable number of owned titles would cost less than a double-double. I'm sure that Valve has thought of this, but they are going to have an interesting time ahead of them if they really want to keep their reviewers from trying to game the system.

But you will see how many hours a reviewer has actually played the game. Someone who comes in trolling who has only played a few minutes will be blatantly obvious. And for the most part, most of the reviews will come from people who own said game. So no, it's not a 0$ buy in situation.

There will be free weekends, and family plan etc throwing somewhat of a wrench in that, but it should be a lot better than the forums.

20. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 14:57 nin

jdreyer wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:55:
nin wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:21:
This can only end badly.

What they need is some kind of ranking system for both reviews and reviewers. That way the cream can float to the head of the class. It's not rocket surgery.

No, but it IS steam implementing it, so... Tempered expectations...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 14:55 jdreyer

nin wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:21:
This can only end badly.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 14:54 Suppa7

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:43:
In general, a 74 is an average game. Nothing special, but not a waste of money, either. I'm not sure what more you could ask for when talking about a rehashed old-school FPS?

Ahh one of the illiterate masses...

All FPS games are rehashes, if you're going to use that logic we could ask why plenty of other FPS rehashes don't get that kind of score especially when they are infinitely worse?

What SW did was bring back more fast paced action oriented fps that can never go out of style when done right. I imagine you've played many 'rehashes' over the years since almost every videogame released is a rehash of past games. To say a game is 'a rehash' is pretty stupid since the design of the game matters more than the genre.

The same way call of duty 4 (the original) was genuinely a good game but then they milked it to death.

17. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 14:51 jdreyer

helping fill the Internet's dearth of conflicting opinions

So funny.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo