Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's accounting of the bestselling titles on Steam last week:

1. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  2. Call of Duty: Ghosts
  3. XCOM: Enemy Within
  4. PAYDAY 2
  5. X Rebirth
  6. Arma III Collection
  7. Football Manager 2014
  8. Arma II Combined Operations
  9. State of Decay
  10. RAGE

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 25, 2013, 19:44 Graham

Jerykk wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 17:50:
Creston wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 17:10:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 17:00:
Only thing I don't like is that you can evade sticky situations by boarding a smaller ship and repairing

Yeah, that's bullshit. I refuse to do that. It's even more nonsensical than if there'd been health powerups floating on the ocean.

It's also dumb that you can lower your wanted level by boarding ships too. Finally, it's dumb that other ships stop attacking you while you're boarding.

I love the game and couldn't agree more. If you board a ship and there are other predators out there, they should be pounding the shit out of your hull or boarding you from the other side. Still, by playing it "honest" and not boarding until it's clear I get the same sort of feeling. Shame that I have to be part of the "engine" on this though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 25, 2013, 17:46 Creston

saluk wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 16:19:

They've actually put a considerable amount of R+D time into the movement system (~2 years for AC3 afaik, probably 2 yearsish for the first game). I don't know why it still has so many weird edge cases, but the inverse kinematics is really complex. Unlike most platformers, which tend to have designers script logic information into the levels (this is a ledge, this is an impassable wall), they let their level designers basically build whatever geometry they want to, with no tags, and trust the skeletal animation AI to maneuver it correctly. Pretty difficult to tune, especially for the scope of the environments.

And that particular part of it is AMAZING. Especially in AC4, there are so many little posts and balconies and edges that you can jump and run across, in many ways it moves more fluidly than ever, especially since Edward can jump farther than Ezio / Connor ever could (though the animation is off on it. Rather than make a believable jump, he literally floats for a few feet in the middle to make it, which looks kinda dorky, but oh well.)

But even now, after all these games, there is still the confusion between which button does what at any given time, and it will still lead to situations where you bump against a ledge that's a foot high, and your character will stand there like he's against a wall, and will REFUSE to get on fucking top of it.

Or the times when you want to hop down to the flagpole 2 feet beneath you, and instead your dipshit hero leaps like he's Mike fucking Powell and falls to his death 400 yards below on the cliffs.

All that said, it doesn't detract from the game, which by now has far succeeded AC2 as my favorite of all time. This one is awesome. The only thing mission wise I'm not fond of is the fairly common "trail this dude and stay in the circle to listen to his conversation" shit. Everything else is pretty sweet, especially now that the large majority of stealth missions no longer have a "get detected and fail" trigger. A few still do, but in most you can just murder everything that moves and still make it.

Murdering entire forts full of soldiers = fun.

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 25, 2013, 16:19 saluk

nin wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 11:31:
The only thing that really irritates me in AC4 (other than the typical "Edward climbs when you want him to jump and jumps when you want him to climb, will stand still when you want him to run, and will completely miss the 240 square foot chimney you were jumping towards, and instead will diagonally jump and fall to his death in the fucking street" HORSESHIT that's been in this series since day fucking one, and apparently NOBODY at Ubisoft can figure out this is because YOU KEEP FUCKING INTERCHANGING THE RUN AND JUMP BUTTONS DEPENDING ON THE SITUATION. YOU FUCKING MORONS.)

Oh yeah...

They've actually put a considerable amount of R+D time into the movement system (~2 years for AC3 afaik, probably 2 yearsish for the first game). I don't know why it still has so many weird edge cases, but the inverse kinematics is really complex. Unlike most platformers, which tend to have designers script logic information into the levels (this is a ledge, this is an impassable wall), they let their level designers basically build whatever geometry they want to, with no tags, and trust the skeletal animation AI to maneuver it correctly. Pretty difficult to tune, especially for the scope of the environments.

Still, after so many games, there seems to be a huge disconnect between the technical and the design teams. AC3 has a lot of cool things they built into the system on the tech side that the designers didn't even use. And then the design team is always building stuff that doesn't actually work with the tech - like mountain sides that look climbable and aren't etc.

Sad to hear AC4 continues this craziness. AC has some of the most impressive animation technology around today, but it doesn't use it to any great advantage, and often is disadvantaged by reliance on it.

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 25, 2013, 11:31 nin

The only thing that really irritates me in AC4 (other than the typical "Edward climbs when you want him to jump and jumps when you want him to climb, will stand still when you want him to run, and will completely miss the 240 square foot chimney you were jumping towards, and instead will diagonally jump and fall to his death in the fucking street" HORSESHIT that's been in this series since day fucking one, and apparently NOBODY at Ubisoft can figure out this is because YOU KEEP FUCKING INTERCHANGING THE RUN AND JUMP BUTTONS DEPENDING ON THE SITUATION. YOU FUCKING MORONS.)

Oh yeah...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 25, 2013, 11:27 Creston

ahem...

the only other thing is the water spouts. I love the storms, but the water spouts are bullshit. If they come at me head on, I can evade them fairly easily, but if one spawns behind you, you're just utterly fucked. Because that fucking thing will hunt you down and destroy you, and will quite happily turn back INTO the storm to keep chasing you.

Twice died to the fucking things now, and they're beginning to get really fucking aggravating. Especially when three of them spawn in the same area. The amount of storms that produce multiple vortices is staggeringly low, yet every time in AC4, hey, it's some rain, oh look, three water spouts.

I just resynch when I see three of them. No need to try to run, as it's impossible.

Are they this annoying on the PS4?

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 25, 2013, 07:13 Fly

AC: Black Flag is really a great game. My pick for Game of the Year for PC. The atmosphere in Black Flag throughout is truly great. When I'm having a bad day, I sail the waters under the watchful guard and drunken song of my trusty crew. Every so often it storms, but no amount of waves or thunder will stop my wrath upon the sea.

-Just a tip, I find that by disabling v-sync, the game runs better.(PC version).

"This is more than anyone can bear, but we will persevere." -Vort

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 22:18 Jerykk

Yep. I can see why in-game it needs to happen, because there are WAAAAAAY too many ships on the ocean, and any time you start a fight, you wind up fighting 3-4 ships in the space of ten seconds, so if they kept firing while you were boarding, you'd never, ever board anything.

I don't think that would have been problematic, though. It would have just required players to take out all nearby ships before boarding any one of them, which would have in turn made the whole instant repair tactic less viable. Even something as simple as disabling boarding entirely until all ships are neutralized would have worked.

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 22:12 siapnar

Anyone tried Nether or have some insight into it?

First time I've heard of the game

I have projectile dysfunction.

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 21:46 {PH}88fingers

X Rebirth is horrible. but in the spirit of helping anyone out who is trying to play - an attempt to make the game playable maybe try running a few community extensions, they are:

BetterCockpit 0.5 - Removes some of the clutter from your cockpit, giving you a clear field of view

ManualCommandExtension - More manual commands for your NPC ships (not yet tested, stupid game being stupid)

NoMoreGrandma - Replaces the old grandmother with a younger person (my game was like 80% old grandmothers in spess)

NoYouShutUpYisha - Removes the "No you shut up betty" Dialog Yisha spams any time your ship computer announces something (like where you've just arrived)

ReducedMassTraffic - Cuts down on some of the Small ship traffic around stations. While that traffic is awesome, I'd rather the 2-3 FPS gain that this mod gives when near stations.

RemoveBoardingCutscene - Gets rid of the boarding / disembarking cutscenes that play anytime you leave / enter your cockpit.

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 21:32 Darth Guybrush

COD: Ghosts performance is abysmal (have 8Gb RAM but maybe video card is lacking at 1Gb). Start/stop/start/stop.

Doing the driver update dance. Went back to latest legacy AMD 64-bit drivers and still a crock - only BF4 performed much better - only to still have bizarre DirectX crash issues after 5 minutes or so. Sigh...

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 21:29 Darth Guybrush

Yeah the dreaded (?) Xmas sale should be starting any day now!  

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 20:01 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 17:09:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 17:02:
The worst thing is imo the abysmal performance, the game does nothing that warrants bad FPS, few ships on screen, terrible AI and relatively empty sectors, lots of fake traffic that follows fixed routes and has even LESS AI ... sigh

They have admitted there is a bug in the engine. There's a sync issue between the main part and the renderer that's causing the renderer to wait too long. It's in the pipeline to be fixed.

Words do not fix things ;p Admitting an issue exists, and saying they will fix it are 2 different things as well. The real bummer is this issue was there when THEY played their own game, and they thought this horrible performance with what little is going on in this game was OK? They never bothered to ever optimize this, not a single day of coding was spent on it, and that's the real bummer, 7 years and they forgot the optimization pass?

I know egosoft, I played X3 when it came out and uninstalled it a day later and X3 AP is one of my most favorite games but the problem is that I have 0 trust left in Egosoft...

Even if Rebirth ran with constant 100 fps, which for what little the game is showing at any one time on screen is what it really should run at... even if that were the case we would still be left with a game that is an empty devoid husk. 1 Ship, no longterm motivation. Exploration can be done within few hours.

A bad game does never become a good game just because they patch it. SOTS 2 is proof ;p

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 19:35 Dacron

Oh, State of Decay has a "persistent" world when you start again it will simulate the time you missed.

To avoid it (unless they patch in a option to disable the world when you're not playing) - http://www.zombiestandardtime.com/

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 18:32 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 17:50:
Only thing I don't like is that you can evade sticky situations by boarding a smaller ship and repairing

Yeah, that's bullshit. I refuse to do that. It's even more nonsensical than if there'd been health powerups floating on the ocean.

It's also dumb that you can lower your wanted level by boarding ships too.

Well, but at least they sort of try to explain that by showing Edward giving clemency to the crew. So while that's still not all that great, at least they kind of try to have that make sense.

Finally, it's dumb that other ships stop attacking you while you're boarding.

Yep. I can see why in-game it needs to happen, because there are WAAAAAAY too many ships on the ocean, and any time you start a fight, you wind up fighting 3-4 ships in the space of ten seconds, so if they kept firing while you were boarding, you'd never, ever board anything.

But for them to just sit there while you're (basically) taking one ship apart and using it to repair another ship is ridiculous. So that's why I don't do that. That utterly destroys whatever small level of immersion I had to begin with.

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 18:01 Dacron

I was about to post as well, my wacky set up (all mouse) is bound in game. And yes, you sold me a game I was looking at, lol.  

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 18:00 Prez

Hanover wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 16:11:
Prez wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 15:37:
Quinn wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 14:39:
Prez, does that game still only support controllers? I'm intrigued by your enthousiasm.

I play it with mouse and keyboard and it works great. The only thing is that as of right now there is no official key rebinding (not sure about mods or config tweaks) but future updates will include that. I think it's supposed to be in next week's update. Anyway, don't get me wrong - I'm not guaranteeing that everyone will love it like I do. I am just giving my personal impression of it; your mileage may vary.
I bought and played it for the first time last night and use K&M just fine. I also bound a few keys from within the UI without any mods.

Wow - really? I guess the update has landed already. Cool!

LOL@ Quinn!!!

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2013, 20:49.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 17:52 Quinn

Prez wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 15:37:
Quinn wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 14:39:
Prez, does that game still only support controllers? I'm intrigued by your enthousiasm.

I play it with mouse and keyboard and it works great. The only thing is that as of right now there is no official key rebinding (not sure about mods or config tweaks) but future updates will include that. I think it's supposed to be in next week's update. Anyway, don't get me wrong - I'm not guaranteeing that everyone will love it like I do. I am just giving my personal impression of it; your mileage may vary.

I have a T-shirt at home with you on it and... well, I kinda stole the whole Chuck Norris thing, but it says: "Prez doesn't have an opinion. He has facts." So stop kidding me, buddy! I'm off buying the game the moment I have time to play it!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 17:50 Jerykk

It's also dumb that you can lower your wanted level by boarding ships too. Finally, it's dumb that other ships stop attacking you while you're boarding.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 17:15 Cutter

Hope there are some good sales all around next week.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 17:10 Creston

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo