Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M

The Roberts Space Industries website announces that the crowd-sourced fundraising for Star Citizen as the PC space combat game has now passed the $29 million mark. This triggers a new stretch goal, and it seems their imaginations are losing pace with the funding, as this just promises to spend it, as "additional funding for the Squadron 42 single–player experience," and this new trailer offers an explanation of the game's single-player experience. Here's word on how fans can help with the writer's block for their next stretch goal, if it hasn't been reached already by the time this is posted: "Now it’s time for you to pick the $32 million stretch goal ship. We’ve removed the winner and the lowest-performing option from the last poll. What will it be now? A massive cargo hauler, a speedy information runner, a dedicated salvage ship? The choice is in your hands!"

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

15. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 14:15 dj LiTh

Creston wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 13:48:
shinchan0s wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:45:
I think hiring more people to get the game out sooner would be a good stretch goal.

There's a point of rapidly diminishing returns on that, though, if they're all in one team.

And if you keep splitting stuff off into multiple teams who each work on their own section, you run the risk of winding up with a game where the separate parts don't click. See Assassin's Creed. (It was terrible in 3, but even in 4 there are some things that really feel out of place, for example the 'stealth' system.)

Getting an extra million bucks and all you have to do is put in an extra ship seems like a fairly easy-to-do and sweet deal for them.

Too late as they already have 2 teams, one in Cali the other in the UK. Its just too good to be true, i cant put it any other way then that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 13:48 Creston

shinchan0s wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:45:
I think hiring more people to get the game out sooner would be a good stretch goal.

There's a point of rapidly diminishing returns on that, though, if they're all in one team.

And if you keep splitting stuff off into multiple teams who each work on their own section, you run the risk of winding up with a game where the separate parts don't click. See Assassin's Creed. (It was terrible in 3, but even in 4 there are some things that really feel out of place, for example the 'stealth' system.)

Getting an extra million bucks and all you have to do is put in an extra ship seems like a fairly easy-to-do and sweet deal for them.

13. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 13:38 JoeNapalm

There are shitty games out there that have made more than $30M in an afternoon.

Yes, this is am amazing crowdfunding effort, but the assumption they're committing fraud without any shred of supporting data it's a bit tinfoil hattish, yes.

If nothing else, what do they gain from such an act? Other than a ton of scrutiny?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

12. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 13:21 Fugazi

They will break $30 million today by the looks of it.  
The CRTC needs to be destroyed.

11. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 13:15 El Pit

Next stretch goal: a tax evasion mode added to Star Citizen's economy.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

10. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 13:01 LgFriess

Task wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:55:
Beelzebud wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:26:
I simply don't see how this thing is still raking in millions per week.

Well believe it or not, there are still people who haven't heard of this game and many more are on the edge of their decision making. "Ah hell fine, I'll donate, here's my money!"

And I have to say, if you go to their site, it really does make you want to pitch in. They've done an amazing job with that aspect of it. IMO, the Blues readers are more of a grizzled old veteran PC gamer and are much more likely to hold off supporting this until release or definitive game play is shown.

9. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 12:59 InBlack

Cutter wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:50:

Yeah, I just don't see how this million per week is legit. Too clockwork. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

P.T. Barnum. Thats how.

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 12:59 Atoth

Well if you have been actually following the game... You would know Nov 26th is their anniversary date and they have been offering special limited ships sales up until that point this whole last week. It's also the date when Lifetime Insurance LTI will no longer be offered on bought ships.. So yeah people just getting their last bits of ships and configurations... Don't forget that tinfoil hat!  

7. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 12:55 Task

Well believe it or not, there are still people who haven't heard of this game and many more are on the edge of their decision making. "Ah hell fine, I'll donate, here's my money!"

6. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 12:54 Slinkycatz

Unless there is some real data to support such a conclusion, I'll just have to consider that as just another wild conspiracy theory [and there are way too many of them these days].

It is easier to not even look at the data, to stand at a distance because you don't even like the concept of the game and so have no interest in reading up (or watching) all that is going on, and then make conclusions like that. That is just as annoying as newscasters during a live event who have no clue what is going on and say the stupidest things until we actually do find out what happened.

5. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 12:50 Cutter

Yeah, I just don't see how this million per week is legit. Too clockwork. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 12:46 Wallshadows

They're just jerking each other off at this point with all these videos.  

3. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 12:45 shinchan0s

2. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 12:30 ItBurn

Me neither. I think it's some form of money laundering. The money comes from *donations*...

1. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 12:26 Beelzebud

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo