Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M

The Roberts Space Industries website announces that the crowd-sourced fundraising for Star Citizen as the PC space combat game has now passed the $29 million mark. This triggers a new stretch goal, and it seems their imaginations are losing pace with the funding, as this just promises to spend it, as "additional funding for the Squadron 42 single–player experience," and this new trailer offers an explanation of the game's single-player experience. Here's word on how fans can help with the writer's block for their next stretch goal, if it hasn't been reached already by the time this is posted: "Now it’s time for you to pick the $32 million stretch goal ship. We’ve removed the winner and the lowest-performing option from the last poll. What will it be now? A massive cargo hauler, a speedy information runner, a dedicated salvage ship? The choice is in your hands!"

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

35. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 01:45 Cutter

A Ponzi scheme is, in effect, the promise of offering more on a return than one can possibly deliver given all variables as compared to normal market returns. Again, it falls under the auspices of, "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is."

From Wikipedia:

A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation that pays returns to its investors from their own money or the money paid by subsequent investors, rather than from profit earned by the individual or organization running the operation. Operators of Ponzi schemes usually entice new investors by offering higher returns than other investments, in the form of short-term returns that are either abnormally high or unusually consistent. The perpetuation of the high returns requires an ever-increasing flow of money from new investors to sustain the scheme

This is why I said, 'or something like it'. My biggest caveat with all this is that initially Roberts said he had secured 10-20 million in private funding - I can't recall the specific number. But...since the initial KS was so good he wasn't going to use that money and instead continue on with crowdsourced money. No problem there...except...that means there were agreements. No one forks over that sort of dough without some expectation of a return. So, you don't just turn around, hand the money back and say 'Thanks, but no thanks' when you're talking that sort of cash. There would have to be some consideration for those investors.

Couple that with the lack of transparency about how the MP/MMO aspect of the game is going to work - except you can "buy" insurance and other things for real money and it's all just an opaque mass of what's coming from where and how it will all really shake out in the end.

Joe large MMO starts and says "We're charging $15 per month." Even if they go F2P later you know where they stand. This hasn't been explained in any real detail here beyond you can earn things or buy things. If that doesn't warrant some pragmatic caution then I don't know what else to say.

Again, even with my misgivings - and those of others - we'd actually like to see this work - and prove us wrong. Because that really will usher in a new era of gaming. But if it doesn't...it's going to fuck up a lot of shit for everyone coming behind this.

Maybe you've never been burned for money in your life. I have on several occasions so that's why when I see vague promises without a lot of concrete details that alarm bells start going off for me. And not only don't I want to get burned, but I don't want others to either. So, please, take our cautions with a big grain of salt. We're not trying to be dicks about it, we just don't want to see any of you guys get conned either - by anyone, ever!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 01:12 Jaxx

LgFriess wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 13:01:
Task wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:55:
Beelzebud wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:26:
I simply don't see how this thing is still raking in millions per week.

Well believe it or not, there are still people who haven't heard of this game and many more are on the edge of their decision making. "Ah hell fine, I'll donate, here's my money!"

And I have to say, if you go to their site, it really does make you want to pitch in. They've done an amazing job with that aspect of it. IMO, the Blues readers are more of a grizzled old veteran PC gamer and are much more likely to hold off supporting this until release or definitive game play is shown.
Hey! I resemble that remark! Damn... has it really been 16 years since I started reading/lurking here?

Anyways, I actually kicked in WAY back in the beginning when it was on Kickstarter. And with the upgrades since then on new ships, I've got about $500 into it. Call me naive or what ever, but I think Roberts and crew will put out a top notch game that will bring a lot of the old Wing Commander vibe back.

Some here obviously don't know what the meaning of a ponzi scheme is. Everyone that has donated to the game does not get anything back. Crowd sourcing has become a big thing and Roberts has quite a reputation as well in the gaming industry. I really doubt he would be scamming. If he is, this would seriously hurt the industry as a whole and would be one of the best kept secrets between all four studios and all the employees working there.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2013, 01:21.

33. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 22:50 jacobvandy

Denthor wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 19:46:

With that budget how much of it was licensing (music etc)? How much was for big name V/A? How much for technical complications of memory management with parallel development (PS3/Xbox)?

I get your point tho, i'm skeptical as well - but big budget games *waste* so much money on seemingly frivolous stuff that doesn't really impact the game play a great deal rather it impacts their ability to market the game.

Time will tell i guess and like you i am hopeful they can pull it off.

Not a whole lot, lol... GTA V has the worst, most obscure soundtrack of all the games except maybe the one(s) where they produced much of the music themselves. And there are no big name voice actors in it at all. It's not like San Andreas where they had Sam Jackson as a major character. Looking at Wikipedia, the only person I vaguely recognize is the guy who used to play the little fat kid in Nickelodeon's The Adventures of Pete & Pete. No, the money for GTA V went to #1 marketing and #2 art production/modeling for the largest open world environment ever.

32. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 22:29 Denthor

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 19:53:
Its a PC only game (no xbox/ps license fees/port), that i doubt licenses any music since i'm guessing they have their own sound guys, which would cost less. Which all just compounds the skepticism 10 fold

I was referring to GTAV. Obliviously Star Citizen doesn't have those complications.

31. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 20:38 {PH}88fingers

It will hit 30 million by the end of the weekend.

There is no conspiracy. When they are selling ships at USD 275.00+++ a pop and everything in between, money can come rolling in pretty quickly.
As a previous poster said, they did a great job with their website and ease with which it pulls you to make a ship purchase (for those who like the genre or who see the value in this kind of game in conjunction with an Oculus Rift and a high quality joy stick)
makes you want to spend more money on this game imo, or maybe that's just me

30. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 19:53 dj LiTh

Denthor wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 19:46:
@28

With that budget how much of it was licensing (music etc)? How much was for big name V/A? How much for technical complications of memory management with parallel development (PS3/Xbox)?

I get your point tho, i'm skeptical as well - but big budget games *waste* so much money on seemingly frivolous stuff that doesn't really impact the game play a great deal rather it impacts their ability to market the game.

Its a PC only game (no xbox/ps license fees/port), that i doubt licenses any music since i'm guessing they have their own sound guys, which would cost less. Which all just compounds the skepticism 10 fold

29. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 19:46 Denthor

@28

28. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 19:19 Flatline

1badmf wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 16:55:
i can't believe i'm reading this. some of you honestly think that chris roberts is committing fraud!? that he's just making up numbers out of thin air to keep a lie going? an honest question - what has he done to elicit that kind of suspicion. i appreciate that fraud is an increasing problem today, but you CANNOT apply that to specific situations where all the evidence is to the contrary. it's a logical fallacy.

i mean, i get it - you guys think we fans are showering the project with undue adulation and that's your right. but then, how is it any better that you fools take a dump on the project with nary a hint of evidence? it's the same act, just at the other end of the spectrum, and a worse offense in my opinion because it's entirely negative. seriously, do you guys actually think CR is committing fraud?!? do you listen to yourselves?

The problem is that we can do math, and while 30 million is a great number for making a video game, it's still not much for what's being promised.

Sandbox games cost a fortune to make. GTA 5 cost 260 million to make and market (so probably 130 million or so to develop), and will offer a fraction of the interactivity that Star Citizen is promising.

It just seems like a gargantuan project for that amount of money. Something is inordinate here. Unless this game plans to pull an Eve Online and slowly develop over 10 years it's hard to see them launching in any reasonable amount of time.

I'm hoping they pull it off, I really do. But there's a disconnect here between promises and reality.

27. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 19:19 Cutter

i can't believe i'm reading this. some of you honestly think that chris roberts is committing fraud!? that he's just making up numbers out of thin air to keep a lie going? an honest question - what has he done to elicit that kind of suspicion. i appreciate that fraud is an increasing problem today, but you CANNOT apply that to specific situations where all the evidence is to the contrary. it's a logical fallacy.

i mean, i get it - you guys think we fans are showering the project with undue adulation and that's your right. but then, how is it any better that you fools take a dump on the project with nary a hint of evidence? it's the same act, just at the other end of the spectrum, and a worse offense in my opinion because it's entirely negative. seriously, do you guys actually think CR is committing fraud?!? do you listen to yourselves?

Enh, it's not so much that as not being completely honest where the money is coming from. He's been very vague about lots of stuff. And again, this million a week just sounds to good to be true. That's the sort of thing, like Ponzi schemes and pyramid schemes, that just sets off the old Spidey sense tingling. Whatever, we're very likely wrong, but don't be surprised if a few nasty surprises come down the pipe - particularly with the multiplayer portion of the game.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 19:14 Flatline

This is actually the first stretch goal in I don't remember how long that I'm actually cool with.  

25. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 17:20 Sepharo

Sleep wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 17:12:
i can't believe i'm reading this. some of you honestly think that chris roberts is committing fraud!?

Seriously, why worry about it. they have absolutely zero impact on funding or development, they just like hating on anything successful. Always reminds me of the Steam 'Boycott MW2' group, who were all playing MW2 on release. Same will happen here, in the meantime let them moan.

Edit heres the pic.

That group had about a thousand members... At the launch hour 25 or so of them were playing the game, in Steam people playing games sort to the top of a members list. Can't believe that screenshot prompted numerous articles and people still bring it up.

24. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 17:12 Sleep

i can't believe i'm reading this. some of you honestly think that chris roberts is committing fraud!?

Seriously, why worry about it. they have absolutely zero impact on funding or development, they just like hating on anything successful. Always reminds me of the Steam 'Boycott MW2' group, who were all playing MW2 on release. Same will happen here, in the meantime let them moan.

Edit heres the pic.

23. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 16:55 1badmf

22. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 16:50 dj LiTh

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 15:49:
dj LiTh wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 14:15:
Creston wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 13:48:
shinchan0s wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:45:
I think hiring more people to get the game out sooner would be a good stretch goal.

There's a point of rapidly diminishing returns on that, though, if they're all in one team.

And if you keep splitting stuff off into multiple teams who each work on their own section, you run the risk of winding up with a game where the separate parts don't click. See Assassin's Creed. (It was terrible in 3, but even in 4 there are some things that really feel out of place, for example the 'stealth' system.)

Getting an extra million bucks and all you have to do is put in an extra ship seems like a fairly easy-to-do and sweet deal for them.

Too late as they already have 2 teams, one in Cali the other in the UK. Its just too good to be true, i cant put it any other way then that.

You forgot the main team in Austin, dude. In fact they got:

- Austin: Star Citizen core development team
- L.A./Santa Monica: Chris Roberts heading the team working on the dogfight module
- Montreal: Behavior Interactive who are doing art assets, concept etc.
- Manchester UK: Erin Roberts and the crew that signs responsible for the Squadron 42 single player campaign

Ahhh....so your saying its even worse then i thought...

21. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 16:34 Slinkycatz

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 15:49:
I won't say Conspiracy or even this game, but change Conspiracy with another word say Fraud, and really that is all around us all the time. Literally millions of those going on.

I agree how depressing this world is when it comes to those who fraud others with zero conscience... there is also incompetence in which they fritter away other peoples money and have nothing to show for it.

I just don't believe that with this many people who are putting their reputation on the line that they would knowingly engage in fraud. Are they looking forward to putting on their resume, "Worked for Star Citizen actively defrauding people even though I knew about it. HIRE ME!"?

What worries me more I guess is what I said about incompetence; that despite all the graphics, ships, bells and whistles that the gameplay will utterly suck. If they don't get it right there is just no polishing a turd.

20. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 16:32 phorce phed

I'll buy the theory that they have a big investor who is putting in chunks of money every week as a way to build hype and grease the wheels, but it's a little early to be calling the game a fraud.

19. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 16:07 Kosumo

Selling virtual items for a game that has yet to be played is totally asking to be called a Scam or a Fraud .... or a onto it enturpernoir. Depends where you stand on the matter.  

18. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 15:49 HorrorScope

Slinkycatz wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:54:
Unless there is some real data to support such a conclusion, I'll just have to consider that as just another wild conspiracy theory [and there are way too many of them these days].

I won't say Conspiracy or even that this game qualifies, but change Conspiracy with another word say Fraud, and really that is all around us all the time. Literally millions of those going on.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 2013, 16:32.

17. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 15:49 CJ_Parker

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 14:15:
Creston wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 13:48:
shinchan0s wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:45:
I think hiring more people to get the game out sooner would be a good stretch goal.

There's a point of rapidly diminishing returns on that, though, if they're all in one team.

And if you keep splitting stuff off into multiple teams who each work on their own section, you run the risk of winding up with a game where the separate parts don't click. See Assassin's Creed. (It was terrible in 3, but even in 4 there are some things that really feel out of place, for example the 'stealth' system.)

Getting an extra million bucks and all you have to do is put in an extra ship seems like a fairly easy-to-do and sweet deal for them.

Too late as they already have 2 teams, one in Cali the other in the UK. Its just too good to be true, i cant put it any other way then that.

You forgot the main team in Austin, dude. In fact they got:

- Austin: Star Citizen core development team
- L.A./Santa Monica: Chris Roberts heading the team working on the dogfight module
- Montreal: Behavior Interactive who are doing art assets, concept etc.
- Manchester UK: Erin Roberts and the crew that signs responsible for the Squadron 42 single player campaign

16. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 14:32 Suppa7

Believe it or not, many people do not follow videogames as intently as the average videgame site commenter.

I don't consider myself a huge fan of anything and I only recently learned of this:

[url=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/bubblegum-crisis-ultimate-edition-blu-ray-set/]

One of my first animes I watched back in the day. For most of the kickstarter time it totally flew under my radar and I never knew it existed. Same goes for many games.

You have to understand newer generations who did not grow up in the 90's never played all the classic PC games and are untainted and unaware of how far games have been dumbed down.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo