Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M

The Roberts Space Industries website announces that the crowd-sourced fundraising for Star Citizen as the PC space combat game has now passed the $29 million mark. This triggers a new stretch goal, and it seems their imaginations are losing pace with the funding, as this just promises to spend it, as "additional funding for the Squadron 42 single–player experience," and this new trailer offers an explanation of the game's single-player experience. Here's word on how fans can help with the writer's block for their next stretch goal, if it hasn't been reached already by the time this is posted: "Now it’s time for you to pick the $32 million stretch goal ship. We’ve removed the winner and the lowest-performing option from the last poll. What will it be now? A massive cargo hauler, a speedy information runner, a dedicated salvage ship? The choice is in your hands!"

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 25, 2013, 04:43 InBlack

Wow Starcitizen fanbois are proving to be even more rabid than any of those Bliztards...

Chill out, I know a lot of you got some real cash invested in this 'venture' but its better to remain skeptical then to set yourself up for a fall later on.

Thats all we (the critics) are. We are skeptics, we do want CR to succeed, but people need to curb their enthusiasm. 5000$ virtual ships anyone?? Pffff....

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2013, 07:00.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 18:55 Creston

Ryan Lange wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 12:49:
Flatline wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 19:19:
Sandbox games cost a fortune to make.

How much do you think Minecraft took to develop? It's arguably the #1 sandbox game. Sure, it doesn't have the art assets of the GTA games or Squadron 42/Star Citizen, but my point is that there's nothing about "sandbox" that implies requiring a fortune to develop.

Minecraft's not really a typical example, though. There's always going to be an outlier.

53. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 13:10 Ryan Lange

{PH}88fingers wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 08:31:
oh and it just hit 30 million, so bring on the new conspiracies about the weekly timing... oh wait it was less than a week, does that mean it's drug money?

Ohhh... Chris Roberts has taken to cooking meth and this crowd-funding campaign is his car wash. Case closed. Everybody can go home now.

52. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 12:57 Slinkycatz

Jaxx wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 06:31:
feral.fury wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 06:26:
and thus he can use the name.

1) It's not a real entity (fictional). It's like using the word Magic in a book your writing.
2) It's not a platform for software digital distribution.
3) It's full name is "Origin Jumpworks" not "Origin Systems".

Keep trying to find that conspiracy of yours...

WTF are you talking about? WHAT conspiracy am I trying to find?

Go home, you're drunk.

Didn't you make the suggestion that Chris Roberts was partnering with Origin as owned by EA? You pointed to a page [that turns up 404] and to look at the bottom-- on other pages I can see the Origin logo on the bottom.

This person was pointing out that the Origin logo on the bottom is NOT ORIGIN AS OWNED BY EA.

This Origin logo is of a FICTIONAL COMPANY IN THE GAME. Its full name being Origin Jumpworks.

51. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 12:49 Ryan Lange

Flatline wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 19:19:
Sandbox games cost a fortune to make.

How much do you think Minecraft took to develop? It's arguably the #1 sandbox game. Sure, it doesn't have the art assets of the GTA games or Squadron 42/Star Citizen, but my point is that there's nothing about "sandbox" that implies requiring a fortune to develop.

50. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 08:31 {PH}88fingers

hahaha this thread is too funny.. I 2nd the motion, please up the meds

oh and it just hit 30 million, so bring on the new conspiracies about the weekly timing... oh wait it was less than a week, does that mean it's drug money?

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2013, 08:49.

49. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 06:48 theyarecomingforyou

Jaxx wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 06:13:
Since the trademark is still owned by EA, he would NOT be able to use that name without buying it or paying A LOT of money to EA since they are some of the greediest bastards.
Firstly, there is no evidence that this fictional company in any way infringes upon EA's trademarks - it is called 'Origin Jumpworks' not simply 'Origin' and it is a non-trading entity (i.e. it's not a real business). Secondly, we have absolutely no idea of the licensing arrangements between private companies - it could be that even if there was a conflict that EA would waive any potential licensing fee in exchange for non-exclusive distribution rights on Origin.

Do you think that Chris Roberts would really pick a name that would deliberately infringes on EA just so he could have over large amounts of money to them? The game is early enough in development that he could simply rename it. Honestly, some of the people around here need to up their meds.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

48. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 06:33 feral.fury

Sry that last part wasn't for you but the others.  

47. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 06:31 Jaxx

feral.fury wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 06:26:

1) It's not a real entity (fictional). It's like using the word Magic in a book your writing.

WTF are you talking about? WHAT conspiracy am I trying to find?

Go home, you're drunk.

46. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 06:30 Jaxx

Oh, and the reason sandbox games cost so much money is because they are HUGE companies.
  • They have a lot of waste.

• Those 100's of millions include the salaries for everyone, from the bottom, to the top that is involved.

• HUGE Marketing campaigns

• They're developing for PC, PS3, PS4, 360, XBone, Wii

• Now you look at Cloud Imperium, it's an independent studio, so ar the one's they're working with. He has ABSOLUTE creative control over the game, he does not have to answer to the bean counters or suits that have no idea but think it would be cool to do *insert here*. This allows him to do a lot with a lot less.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2013, 06:44.

45. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 06:26 feral.fury

44. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 06:13 Jaxx

feral.fury wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 06:10:
    LOL what idiots! Origin = Origin Jumpworks. A fictional company in their game.

Since the trademark is still owned by EA, he would NOT be able to use that name without buying it or paying A LOT of money to EA since they are some of the greediest bastards.

43. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 06:10 Jaxx

Cutter wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 03:45:
    Any good company, that's well and truly above board never has any problem spelling out how they're doing it, where the money is coming from, and what the specifics are.
    He did not even start the programming of the game, hiring people, etc until he had the funding. He would of had a lot of unhappy people if he had hired people, started programming, and then had to shut down if the funding failed.

They have stated what the plan for the game is. It's been talked about in the forums, in their video's they release, and in interviews. You look at the anniversary sale they had going this weekend, there was A LOT of people that bought up newer ships. And the continuance of the funding, many other kickstarter games are doing it. Shroud of the Avatar for example. And there are many more.

As for the MP, I can recall easily a dozen companies that were very hush-hush about their MP details, they have to be to protect their ideas.

And what the heck do you mean by legal and binding sense? Does Activision make a contract with you to tell you what is going on in their game? No. This was crowdsourcing. And to be honest, due to the nature of it, they have NO LEGAL obligation to deliver. But I gaurantee it would go to court.

Just on kickstarter alone they had 34,300 donations. At the same time, they had their RSI crowdsourcing event going on their website. No idea how many, they don't have to be transparent about it.

But lets take EVE Online. Over 500k subscribers. So lets just say only 250k have donated to RSI, and we'll use the average of $62 (avg of kickstarter), that comes out to $15.5million.

So it is very possible on what they're getting JUST from normal gamers like ourselves. I used the average, but there are upgrades many people (including myself) have bought.

Now this has just been a year. They have put out a lot of screen grabs, videos, and the interactive ship bay. I don't know of a game developer that puts out everything they're doing as they do it.

I don't know of a game company that says 'We are getting all this money from here and here and here' unless they're a publicly traded company, because that is required by law. But they are not required, nor should they, spill all the beans on the game.

I also don't know of a game company that gives the very in depth bullet point of what is what and how they're doing it. They give out more details as they get closer to the launch, but they DO have to protect their IP as well. Why would you spell out everything you're doing? That would only give others the opportunity to get a game like it as well.

We know Bungie is doing Destiny, but we have only seen a few video's and screenshots. So what's to say that isn't a scam that they're running on their stock holders and investors?

So instead of coming out and crying (this is meant for all the ones doing it)"SCAM!! They're doing illegal stuff!" you really need to have proof. Because what people have done here can be considered libel.

Read the forums, the devs are on their talking all the time. And read this article: Venture Beat Interview with RSI

42. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 06:10 feral.fury

LOL what idiots! Origin = Origin Jumpworks. A fictional company in their game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYjD1wiTBmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTBzrUwB6Qo

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2013, 06:16.

41. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 05:56 Julio

InBlack wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 05:51:
    So Origin Systems closed its doors ages sgo, and somehow CR is using the name again. How does this not smell of "con" to anyone?

It means Chris Roberts has a deal of some kind with EA going on. There's more going on here than is being publicly shared, though I don't know if I'd use the words 'con'.

That being said, to me it would be foolish to drop lots of money on this and feel like there's no risk.

40. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 05:51 InBlack

Jaxx wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 05:26:
    PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 04:32:
    Where the hell did you get that from? Origin Systems was bought out by EA over 12 years ago and shut down two years later after the travesty of Ultima 9. It's name is now used for that shitty download client.

Look at the bottom of the page: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/?rid=28776

So Origin Systems closed its doors ages sgo, and somehow CR is using the name again. How does this not smell of "con" to anyone?

I have a nifty blue line!

39. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 05:26 Jaxx

PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 04:32:
    Where the hell did you get that from? Origin Systems was bought out by EA over 12 years ago and shut down two years later after the travesty of Ultima 9. It's name is now used for that shitty download client.

Look at the bottom of the page: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/?rid=28776

38. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 04:32 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

Jaxx wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 02:08:
    They are also partnered with Origin, the original company he made Wing Commander for.
    \

PMB / Shodan
    http:/www.futilez

37. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 03:45 Cutter

Well, Jaxx, this is my point. As a private company they can be getting all kinds of investments - and those investors expect a return. Nothing has to be disclosed. They're not breaking any laws, no one has said they are, but they *may* be at the very least disingenous in claiming where the money is coming from and what the final product will be.

All I've seen so far is that...with the crowdsourcing, yes, you will get some sort of SP campaign that's apparently open-ended. The fine points on MP? Very vague. If I'm misinformed and it's been spelled out in black and white, please correct me. I just haven't heard of or seen anything of the like so far.

So is he accounting for this 10 million or what have you as crowdsourcing? I mean in the very legal sense you could skate on that. But if that's the case - not saying it is - then there are very real fiduciary obligations aren't there?

I'm just saying if he came out with something that spelled everything out, in a very legal and binding sense, about what's coming from where and what it all means then I'd be cool with it and wish him all the luck in the world. When it's vague like this - again, so far as everything I've seen and read - then I begin to question.

Any good company, that's well and truly above board never has any problem spelling out how they're doing it, where the money is coming from, and what the specifics are.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

36. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 24, 2013, 02:08 Jaxx

A few other things you may not know about that though is that Cloud Imperium Games does have stock holders. While it may not be a publicly traded company (could be wrong, but don't think so), they are getting investments from that end as well, which I don't know goes against the "We won't take outside investment or developer funding if we pass $23mil".

He was quoted this past week saying
    "We don’t care about making profits for public shareholders. We just care about making the Best Damn Space Sim Ever and you generous support has already allowed us to go way beyond what we thought would be possible upon initial release!"

So without those constraints of actual investors and public shareholders and having to worry about making them money on their investments, they are able to do more with less money. They don't have corporate bigwigs making millions of dollars with multimillion dollar bonuses and such to worry about.

They are also partnered with Origin, the original company he made Wing Commander for.

Also, people for some reason seem to mistake crowdsourcing (which is a donation of sorts) to investing, as if they've bought into the company and expect to make a return on their investment. It never has, nor will it be like that. The only return we expect to get is a game, and hopefully a good one at that!

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo