Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

John Carmack Leaves id Software

John Carmack has parted ways with id Software, a move that was once inconceivable when he was part owner of the Mesquite-based developer, but had become possible when Bethesda Softworks parent Zenimax bought id in 2009, and perhaps inevitable when Carmack joined Oculus Rift over the summer. John's twitter feed has his comment (thanks Paul): "I wanted to remain a technical adviser for Id, but it just didn't work out. Probably for the best, as the divided focus was challenging." IGN has id's statement: "John Carmack, who has become interested in focusing on things other than game development at id, has resigned from the studio," id's studio director Tim Willits told IGN. "Johnís work on id Tech 5 and the technology for the current development work at id is complete, and his departure will not affect any current projects. We are fortunate to have a brilliant group of programmers at id who worked with John and will carry on idís tradition of making great games with cutting-edge technology. As colleagues of John for many years, we wish him well." John later tweeted once more about this: "If they don't want me to talk on stage at Quakecon next year, we'll just have to fill up the lobby like the old days. :-)"

View
98 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

58. Re: u Nov 23, 2013, 09:23 Suppa7

Fletch wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 02:48:
they were gods in the 90s. I still play Doom, Doom2, and Quake on occasion, and they are still fun as hell.

They started sucking at single player after doom 2. I was never that enthralled by id's SP. The multiplayer is where quake was great.

id had serious problems catching up to other FPS developers on the single player front. They really lucked out with doom 3 being just passable/average. Rage was an abortion from a single player standpoint.

While the game had quests/vehicular combat they weren't very good and were repetitive/monotonous. There was a few well designed levels in the game. Like that gameshow part but other then that, rage was pretty meh.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2013, 08:17 PHJF

Some of id's early games, running on Carmack's engines, were trendsetters and certainly left me with some wonderful memories. I was a gamer from age of four or so, but the first time I saw Doom running in its gothic 2.5D glory, it was a life-changing event.

Yup, some coworker of my dad's had Doom running on a PC in the office while I was in for take-your-kid-to-work day... which is really the only good that came from something as nonsensical as take-your-kid-to-work day.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

56. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2013, 07:56 subx

djinn wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 21:31:
netnerd85 wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 21:25:
Wow, that old design is so much easier to read... lol.

Retro colors button on the left. Almost the same

Can't even imagine using the site without retro colours... It's the way for... backward!

Annoyingly (and this is clearly the best place to point this out ;)) retro colours doesn't work properly on iOS. The style sheet unloads and you are left with no style sheet at all.

55. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2013, 06:28 Kawlisse

djinn wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 21:19:
Time machine activated...

http://web.archive.org/web/19961226231646/http://bluesnews.com/

Oh wow, aside from the Carmack update there is even some news on Team Fortress in there

Man I remember when bluesnews was like that ! thanks for the link, brings back old memories.

54. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 05:52 Ray Marden

How long until id closes, especially if its games continue along the current trajectory?

Some of id's early games, running on Carmack's engines, were trendsetters and certainly left me with some wonderful memories. I was a gamer from age of four or so, but the first time I saw Doom running in its gothic 2.5D glory, it was a life-changing event. Commander Keen, Hovertank 3D, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Doom II, Quake, the accelerated graphics of Quake 2, and Quake III Arena - I have fond memories of these games, not to mention the gaming joy third parties brought (Raven, Ritual, Rogue, Splash Damage, Valve, etc.)

As for Carmack, I hope he is able to improve the Oculus Rift and bring it to market with game developer support and a widely appealing combination of price and functionality. Looking back at his history, especially his more recent games, I question if he understands gameplay any has any real passion for the act of gaming. Rage sacrificed everything for 60FPS and shoving a mediocre game engine down our throats. Even on the tech side, his embracing of 1080p is profoundly disheartening. Otherwise, let him go tinker on stuff and let other people design great gaming experiences for old and new gamers alike.

Still waiting on my Quake sequel ,
Ray Piss off, you stupid space marine...

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

53. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 05:25 dj LiTh

Guys a legend and gaming royalty if there is such a thing.  

52. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 04:05 Wesp5

Wraith wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 02:06:
If there's one thing RAGE proved, it's that ID had fantastic technical excellence watered down by game-design that's failed to move along from the 90's.

Huh? With RAGE it was completely the other way around! The game added things no other id game ever had, like quests, NPCs, driving and open areas, but it failed for technical reasons.

51. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 03:53 Hoop

Thanks for the memories John.

Um .. Behind you...

50. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 02:55 El Pit

Thanks for your tech, John. I fondly remember playing games based on your work. I still don't understand how you could ever proclaim consoles that limit your work as an engine designer to be much better than PCs, though. Did you really believe that or did they pay you enough to utter such bull? Whatever. Time to move on. I wish you all the best for whatever you'll be working on.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

49. u Nov 23, 2013, 02:48 Fletch

MonkeySpank wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 21:24:
I always felt that John made great technology for a very average game company. Imagine if John worked for Valve or Blizzard 15 years ago, the world would have been a better place.

You must be joking. Wolfenstein, Doom, Doom2, Quake... ever heard of them? Four of the greatest FPSs ever made. Hell, the GoldSrc engine used to make Half-Life was a modified Quake engine. While id has made some pretty uninteresting, unimaginative crap in the last decade, they were gods in the 90s. I still play Doom, Doom2, and Quake on occasion, and they are still fun as hell.

48. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 02:32 OldTimber

Maybe he'll come back in a few years and scam people to crowdsource a quake clone since that's all he knows being a one-trick pony. Ohhh wait thats' right JC can actually code a engine not spew out a game idea repeated over and over.  

47. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 02:21 Frags4Fun

siapnar wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 23:47:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 23:17:
If the reports that the rift has issues with how long you can wear it before getting a headache or really messing your vision up are true then they need all the help they can get to figure out these technical hurdles.
Oh man, that's disheartening

I recently acquired a pair of Sony Glasstrons and they totally mess up your vision after about 20-30 minutes of use and you start feeling weird. It then takes about another half hour or more to get your vision and balance back. It's a bummer because they are very cool otherwise. While not as nice as the rift (lower res 1024x768 each eye), they retailed for around 3k when they came out so they're petty good. I'm probably going to sell them since they cause problems with my eyes.

I hope they solve this with the rift but I don't see how.

I have much respect and appreciation for John. He literally changed all of our lives.

That old bluesnews link made me feel all sad inside. I miss the good old days. /sigh

46. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 02:16 Jerykk

Krizzen wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 01:20:
I bet $100 he'll be with Valve very, very shortly and there will be much rejoice.

Why would he join Valve when he just recently joined Oculus Rift? He's more interested in gadgets than anything else at the moment so OR seems like a much better fit than Valve.

45. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 02:06 Wraith

About bloody time. The rest of ID have been riding on his coat-tails all this fucking time and it's about time they realised that it was his technical excellence that sold their games.

If there's one thing RAGE proved, it's that ID had fantastic technical excellence watered down by game-design that's failed to move along from the 90's. They really are incredibly lazy and utterly failed to take advantage of the possibilities that John's tech provided.

I'm looking forward to seeing them crash and burn. ID has very little in the way of talent and without tech to rescue them, their game designs are going to be shown up for the pedestrian rubbish that they are.

44. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 02:00 Redmask

Did a lot of great things for the industry over the years and many of the games we enjoy today are still built on the remnants of his engines, people should have a bit of respect.  

43. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 01:21 Wildone

We're pretty bored with Carmack, what has he done for me lately? Quake 2 was cool tho! lul  

42. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 01:20 Krizzen

I bet $100 he'll be with Valve very, very shortly and there will be much rejoice.  

41. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 00:45 Henry Dorsett

I'd be willing to bet that the next time we see Carmack releasing a game, it's going to be based around something called Sparse Voxel Octrees, which are basically real-time ray-traced cubes generated by recursive subdivision. NVIDIA is currently working on it, and I do believe that Carmack has expressed a great deal of interest in the technology. Talking about him being a 3D tech pioneer... Well, this is the next frontier. Maybe not in a year or even two, but it's somewhere down the line.  

40. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 00:27 Silicon Avatar

I got the impression these past few years that Carmack was getting bored.

When he started iD there were big gains to be made in the graphics field. Now the gains are more incremental. I imagine things like rocketry and OR are more appealing because they have challenges left to be solved that also (potentially) have big gains.

39. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 22, 2013, 23:47 siapnar

DangerDog wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 23:17:
If the reports that the rift has issues with how long you can wear it before getting a headache or really messing your vision up are true then they need all the help they can get to figure out these technical hurdles.
Oh man, that's disheartening

I have projectile dysfunction.

98 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo