Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

John Carmack Leaves id Software

John Carmack has parted ways with id Software, a move that was once inconceivable when he was part owner of the Mesquite-based developer, but had become possible when Bethesda Softworks parent Zenimax bought id in 2009, and perhaps inevitable when Carmack joined Oculus Rift over the summer. John's twitter feed has his comment (thanks Paul): "I wanted to remain a technical adviser for Id, but it just didn't work out. Probably for the best, as the divided focus was challenging." IGN has id's statement: "John Carmack, who has become interested in focusing on things other than game development at id, has resigned from the studio," id's studio director Tim Willits told IGN. "John’s work on id Tech 5 and the technology for the current development work at id is complete, and his departure will not affect any current projects. We are fortunate to have a brilliant group of programmers at id who worked with John and will carry on id’s tradition of making great games with cutting-edge technology. As colleagues of John for many years, we wish him well." John later tweeted once more about this: "If they don't want me to talk on stage at Quakecon next year, we'll just have to fill up the lobby like the old days. :-)"

View
98 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

78. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 15:54 Quinn

Fletch wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 14:01:
You can't blame him for the dreck id has squeezed out since D3, gameplay-wise. He's not a game designer.

It wasn't the "game design", if you will, that made RAGE the clusterfuck that it is. It was that horrible engine. With good looking graphics, no performance issues and better physics, I could've probably enjoyed the game a little.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

77. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 15:01 Tom

Wesp5 wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 13:55:
Tom wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:04:
....input (mouselook???)...

I'm pretty sure mouselook was first used in Bethesda's "Terminator: Future Shock" and id only adapted it from there.

That is true, but I think it's safe to say that id perfected it, popularized it, and made it the dominant control scheme that people take for granted today. Revolutionary advancement rarely means being the absolute first to do something. See Apple, for example.

76. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 15:00 Beamer

Its always weird to see a handful of people here claiming to be big gamers but absolutely ignorant to how they get made.

carmack made great engines. Id didn't always have people to turn them into great games but people here blaming him or saying he is "personally" responsible are just idiots.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

75. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 14:01 Fletch

Creston wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 11:07:
...and despite what that dipshit Willits claims, their next engines simply aren't going to be anywhere near as good.)
Willit's entire statement seemed a little "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out" to me.

And +1 to what Primalchrome said (64). So many of my favorite games were built with engines Carmack created. His influence on PC gaming cannot be overstated. You can't blame him for the dreck id has squeezed out since D3, gameplay-wise. He's not a game designer.

74. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 13:55 Wesp5

Tom wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:04:
....input (mouselook???)...

I'm pretty sure mouselook was first used in Bethesda's "Terminator: Future Shock" and id only adapted it from there.

73. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 13:36 BobBob

Elon Musk should hire him.  

72. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 13:04 Quboid

Did he mock gamers? Did he say he didn't care what kind of game we want?

I seem to remember him basically saying that he's focussed on games which he would want to play but why shouldn't he? Everyone wants to be doing that and those who can't say they are anyway (as saying otherwise implies you think your game is crap).

- Quboid

71. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 12:49 Acleacius

Too bad he didn't leave before, he personally destroyed the creditability of the company. Or let someone else design games who had a clue beyond 'shoot, shoot, bang, bang'.

Also mocking gamers and fans who supported id in the early days. Telling them he didn't care what kind of game or features they wanted, he only made what he wanted.

His actions have shown him to be a control freak, who is out of touch with not only id fans but the game industry.

At least there's a chance Bethesda can turn the company into something beyond pathetic. No doubt Rage was an improvement for id but it was still an unfinished mess beyond the driving and gunplay. Not to mention the engine seemed to be a graphical disaster, just like doom 3, at release.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

70. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 12:35 nin

Riker wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 11:21:
Kind of sorrowful news.

It is. But the cool thing is he gets to do what he wants. I wish him the best.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

69. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 12:04 Tom

Carmack's earlier work in graphics was enough to WAY MORE than offset any failures in the last decade. "kinda breaks even"? Sorry but that's just an incredibly ignorant statement.

Even aside from graphics, which would've been more than enough, Carmack (along with his team at id) was responsible for revolutionary advances in all areas of game engines - game data packaging, engine architecture, scripting, modding(!!!), netcode (DOOM and then QuakeWorld anyone???), input (mouselook???), sound, and even the modern concept of a game engine itself. It just goes on and on. And he's been more generous than most when it comes to sharing this hard work via source code releases and, especially in the old days, direct communication with the fans.

I understand that if you weren't around back then, he may seem like an overrated washed up has been. But his achievements in the game development industry truly were unique and monumental. You should do a little studying of history if you don't understand that.

68. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 11:21 Riker

Kind of sorrowful news. On the other hand, it's been a long time since id brought me any joy.  

67. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 11:21 Spektr

Not sure that statement was bad enough to warrant an insult. Megatexture is the only innovation Carmack brought to the table for the past few years and apparently he wasnt going to revolutionize 3d yet again. ( he clearly stated that he joined Oculus because he was feeling like he was really taking part in something new there.
Nowadays everybody's making their own in house engine or modifying existing ones. The licensing market is completely dominated by Unreal and even innovative engines like crytek have trouble existing on the market. Take this and a couple of others like frostbite. there was simply no room for small team work like Carmack envisioned. Actually I wouldnt be surprised if the studio didnt find liberating to create engines for a game as opposed to game for the engine in the past. Carmack could actually create engines on his own and license it away if he had something relevant to offer. He doesnt have to have a whole gaming business behind him to back him up.

66. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 11:07 Creston

Ray Marden wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 05:52:
How long until id closes, especially if its games continue along the current trajectory?

Since they're owned by Zenimax, they won't really ever run out of money, and Rage actually sold pretty well, so I think we'll continue to see a long string of mediocre games come out of them yet.

Only this time with crappier tech. (I wasn't a fan of Megatexture, but Carmack is one of the premier engine creators in gaming, and despite what that dipshit Willits claims, their next engines simply aren't going to be anywhere near as good.)

65. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 11:05 Frijoles

InBlack wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 10:07:
Does it feel like you are looking out of your own eyes or do you still feel that you are looking at (well through as its 3d) a square or round persicope or binocluars??

How bad it is depends on what cups you're using and your own eyes, as well as how close you have the screen to your eyes. You can still see the black edges if you look that direction. I've got the screen all the way back (damn my long eyelashes), and I can easily see the sides. I wouldn't say it's like binoculars, but it is like wearing a ski mask (pretty much the same).

You sort of stop seeing it after using it for a while though. The Rift has a really good FOV compared to older HMDs (especially for the price), but if you want more FOV, look at InfiniteEye's approach.

64. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 10:48 Primalchrome

The dolts that are bagging on JC need to learn the difference between the guy who codes/optimizes the engine and the guys that design the playthrough itself. There is a reason why id's engines have been in demand for so many decades. The Quake engines in particular were the ONLY engines suitable to competitive FPS for so many years because they were crisp while pushing the graphical envelope....because of JC's obsessive approach to optimization.  

63. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 10:47 Quboid

Carmack and id Software haven't really been relevant for a decade but they'll always have a place in my childhood and my heart.

I haven't tried it so make of this what you will. The Oculus Rift has a horizontal view angle of about 90° for each eye. Not full field of vision (which is about 155°) but the missing area is hard to distinguish anything specific in. The wide areas aren't useless but your graphics card is probably better utilized on the central area.

This is different from in-game FOV which I prefer around 80-90° although my monitor probably only takes up about 50° of my view (it's surprisingly hard to estimate that!). I took it that you didn't mean this sort of FOV, InBlack, but I'm not sure. At a guess playing a game with the Oculus Rift which is locked to 60° would be awful.

- Quboid

62. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 10:07 InBlack

A question about the Oculus to those who have tried it. Something I cant figure out from the youtube videos.

Does it project the image using standard FOV settings, or does it give you the peripheral vision as well. Let me clarify.

Does it feel like you are looking out of your own eyes or do you still feel that you are looking at (well through as its 3d) a square or round persicope or binocluars??

Another way to ask would be, can you move your eyes left and right to focus on different objects in your FOV or do you still need to focus straight ahead and do you still feel like you are looking through a rectangular (or round) window?

Much appreciated.

I have a nifty blue line!

61. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 09:59 Deathbishop

I'm put him in the same category as someone like Garriot. Pioneered in the 90's but pretty irrelevant in recent (think last decade) times. I agree, it was his focus and direction that really has driven the FPS (and PC gaming in general) to what it is today.

The fact of the matter is the industry is not what it was in the 90's anymore. You can say he had something to do with that but in another sense it's like the industry has passed him by as well.

60. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 09:56 Tom

You know nothing.  

59. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 09:46 Quinn

I believe he's getting too much credit for his achievements last century. Those credits have been paid and earned back in the day and we can still respect him for it today, but if you ask me.. after said achievements he didn't bring anything worthy to the market at all. Instead, his last work is the clusterfuck of this century so far. I think that kinda breaks even. Today, John Carmack is indeed overhyped -- it's not like mr. one hit wonder was the living chainreaction of inspired innovations and achievements.  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

98 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo