Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Total War: ROME II Patched

A new patch is now available for Total War: ROME II, as Creative Assembly continues to address issues with their recently launched strategy sequel. Patch 7 is available automatically via Steam, and here's an outline of its intent:

This is the most significant gameplay-enhancing patch yet, bringing framerate improvements to high-end systems, and substantial gameplay, AI and behavioral improvements, particularly in settlement and siege battles.

Among other AI improvements, players will now find the attacking siege AI more active, more likely to employ battering rams against gates, and more conservative in how it commits its generals in gate and wall assaults. It will also use a wider range of units when attempting to burn down gates.

This patch also brings the first in a series of targeted unit rebalances. Among other units, infantry small-arms ranged units and the barbarian Naked Warrior unit have been readdressed. Disciplined units (such as Legionaries and Hoplites) now have a Formed Attack ability, which keeps them ordered in melee, and all units now hold formation much better.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Total War: ROME II Patched Nov 23, 2013, 09:59 Suppa7

Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 18:13:
But there's got to be an actual technical reason behind it. It can't all just be perception based? Can it?

The real reason is the people making games are inept at programming and art. People that are good understand how to optimize art assets and program code for performance.

There's tonnes of people in the game industry who shouldn't be making games and the low quality of many games attests to this.

Just because you call yourself a developer doesn't mean you're any good. This is why so many games have awful performance - the people behind them suck.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Total War: ROME II Patched Nov 22, 2013, 18:13 Creston

Simon Says wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 17:46:
Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 12:26:
Something that confuses me about this game (and about Rebirth as well.)

Why is it that medium to low range systems seem to work well (relatively speaking), but more powerful systems suffer from performance problems.

Can someone explain that? It just seems weird to me.

One explanation probably stems from the "I paid big bucks for this machine, if it can't run this game on maximum settings, then there HAS TO BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE GAME".

I would accept that if I didn't see Rebirth running really rather poorly on my own machine which, while far from a beast anymore, is plenty powerful enough to have it run faster than it currently is. And I know how to set up my games, know what all the options mean, etc.

Now, in the case of Rebirth they have acknowledged that it's a thread sync issue that causes the renderer to wait too long (which was figured out by a really smart guy on their forums, btw), but it just seems weird that that would affect higher performance machines more than medium to low range machines.

Unless it genuinely is that low range machines are used to 20-30fps, so 20-30fps in Rebirth isn't a problem for them, whereas since I'm getting the same 20-30fps, to me it's running way too slow.

But there's got to be an actual technical reason behind it. It can't all just be perception based? Can it?

11. Re: Total War: ROME II Patched Nov 22, 2013, 17:46 Simon Says

Why is it that medium to low range systems seem to work well (relatively speaking), but more powerful systems suffer from performance problems.

One explanation probably stems from the "I paid big bucks for this machine, if it can't run this game on maximum settings, then there HAS TO BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE GAME".

I saw lots of those a few years back when I used to work at computer maintenance for home PCs. Most of the time people wouldn't understand that either:

A- The seller lied to them, and this PC is far from being a gaming beast, it was actually WAY OVERPRICED and is underperforming because they put everything in the CPU, nothing in the GPU and made a BIG FAT healthy margin on the whole deal compared to getting all the components and DIY.

B- They do have a beast of a system but doesn't understand that the game they're trying to max out is just way too demanding even for their beasty PC for "X" reasons. Usually after I tweaked the game and it ran buttery smooth their usual reaction was: "But it looks almost the same, it just plays faster, what have you done?".

While those with lower end systems just tweak the settings until it works then enjoy the game if that game ain't broken at the core gameplay level like Rome 2.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2013, 17:52.

10. Re: Total War: ROME II Patched Nov 22, 2013, 17:15 Deepjay

Siege ai isnt fixed, i proved that with a new campaign. It's still as buggy as ever.  

9. Re: Total War: ROME II Patched Nov 22, 2013, 16:26 Prez

Not saying their games are bad, btw. I actually got Shogun 2, but I long ago stopped believing their AI promises. The AI in the Total War series is Total Shit. Always has been, and always will be, because they refuse to put any actual work into it, despite their promises that the entire collective intelligence of the human race was employed to create it.

Thank God the games are moddable - the Darth Mod for Shogun 2 (also for Empire) made the AI very aggressive and efficient in my experience.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Total War: ROME II Patched Nov 22, 2013, 14:24 Creston

Rossafur wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 14:08:
I like how they said they've at least reduced the "rare" incidence of siege AI going idle. That bug I can remember existing since at least Medieval 2, and seems to have only become more common in the Total War games after that. So far in Rome 2 I'd say the AI has given up on sieging and just sputtered around until the timer ran out more times than it hasn't. We'll see if it's really fixed now or not...

Creative Assembly says a lot of things. One of the things they keep saying is that this time around, for their latest, greatest game, they've put no fewer than 800,000,000 people on AI alone! It's going to be the best AI ever!

And then you play the game, and it's still exactly the same, broke-ass AI that's been in the series since the original Shogun.

Why people still believe anything they say is beyond me.

(Not saying their games are bad, btw. I actually got Shogun 2, but I long ago stopped believing their AI promises. The AI in the Total War series is Total Shit. Always has been, and always will be, because they refuse to put any actual work into it, despite their promises that the entire collective intelligence of the human race was employed to create it.)

7. Re: Total War: ROME II Patched Nov 22, 2013, 14:20 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 13:18:

They're mainly talking about relative framerate for high-end systems. Basically high-end systems weren't seeing much of an improvement over low/mid-range systems, especially if they were using SLI. So it's not that they were worse, or having more substantial performance issues, they just weren't as good as you'd expect.

Okay, that makes sense. So the engine's just bottlenecking somewhere, then?

6. Re: Total War: ROME II Patched Nov 22, 2013, 14:08 Rossafur

I like how they said they've at least reduced the "rare" incidence of siege AI going idle. That bug I can remember existing since at least Medieval 2, and seems to have only become more common in the Total War games after that. So far in Rome 2 I'd say the AI has given up on sieging and just sputtered around until the timer ran out more times than it hasn't. We'll see if it's really fixed now or not...  

5. Re: Total War: ROME II Patched Nov 22, 2013, 13:18 Bhruic

They're mainly talking about relative framerate for high-end systems. Basically high-end systems weren't seeing much of an improvement over low/mid-range systems, especially if they were using SLI. So it's not that they were worse, or having more substantial performance issues, they just weren't as good as you'd expect.

4. Re: Total War: ROME II Patched Nov 22, 2013, 13:02 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 12:55:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 12:33:
Did you try Rebirth lately?

No. I'm having waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy too much fun with Enemy Within and AC4 to get bogged down in "Patch 1.16 broke this, and patch 1.17 broke that, and patch 1.18 fixed the thing that 1.16 broke, but now it broke that" etc. I understand why it's happening, as they're releasing patches at breakneck speed without really testing, but I'm not going to be a fucking beta tester for them. I'll play it again in January or so, when hopefully they've stemmed the tide of glitches and shit maybe actually WORKS.
I understand.
After playing it for about 10~15 minutes last night I quit and went to play XCOM.
Restarted the play through. See if I can make some better decisions this time around.
I hope I can avoid getting AC4, don't really have time to play it right now.

Steam: SpectralMeat

3. Re: Total War: ROME II Patched Nov 22, 2013, 12:55 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 12:33:

No. I'm having waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy too much fun with Enemy Within and AC4 to get bogged down in "Patch 1.16 broke this, and patch 1.17 broke that, and patch 1.18 fixed the thing that 1.16 broke, but now it broke that" etc. I understand why it's happening, as they're releasing patches at breakneck speed without really testing, but I'm not going to be a fucking beta tester for them. I'll play it again in January or so, when hopefully they've stemmed the tide of glitches and shit maybe actually WORKS.

2. Re: Total War: ROME II Patched Nov 22, 2013, 12:33 SpectralMeat

I've played a bit last night (ver 1.16 iirc) and at least i nthe system I was in (Big Empty) the performance was fine. I was flying around the station a lot did a bunch of trades etc.
I remember there was one system where the performance was terrible post patch but I forgot which one it was.

Your question regarding high end machines is a valid one though it doesn't make much sense to me either.
I'd say the game was optimized for low end systems, console port, etc but Rome is a PC exclusive game.

Steam: SpectralMeat

1. Re: Total War: ROME II Patched Nov 22, 2013, 12:26 Creston

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo