Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

35. Re: Op Ed Nov 22, 2013, 18:00 Simon Says

Fantaz wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 17:22:
It does seem like Xbox One has the better exclusive launch titles. Forza is one that stands out.

You call that a good launch title? How low has expectations got nowadays?

I remember the N64 being said to have a weak launch lineup, with Mario 64, Starfox and the likes. All things we had never seen before and were not only evolutionary but revolutionary.

And now, all you need is step up a number on a 10 year old serie and it's just OMFG AMAZING!

Damn... :/

PC gaming isn't dying... Console gaming is, simply through a lack taking risks and actually getting something out that could revolutionize, or even evolutionize, rather than just playing it totally safe with an incremental serie +1 title.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Op Ed Nov 22, 2013, 17:22 Fantaz

It does seem like Xbox One has the better exclusive launch titles. Forza is one that stands out.  

33. Re: Op Ed Nov 22, 2013, 16:57 LibertyOrDeath

"You couldn't because a true bricking you couldn't even post, so you couldn't get to an A drive or anything. Game over."

Yup, this is true. I bricked a few myself. I am glad for duel bios and other tech that saves me from throwing out my hardware!

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 16:30 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 14:58:
Panickd wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 14:50:
In the early days a bad or wrong BIOS update applied could indeed "brick" a PC.

You could always reflash it to fix it. I'm not sure the average user can do that on the xbone.

You couldn't because a true bricking you couldn't even post, so you couldn't get to an A drive or anything. Game over.

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 16:28 HorrorScope

Prez wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 16:22:
My understanding is that a PC can't be "bricked"

I assumed Bricked in the PC world means failed bios flashing. The newer boards (like last several years now) have protections against that even. Yeah it's hard to brick one. Another possible variance can be screwing up something in the O/S where it no longer boots I suppose. But bios, you messed that up, you are looking at a black screen, no more.

Yes, no matter what happened to the PC it can be in your hands to fix if you want it.

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 16:22 Prez

My understanding is that a PC can't be "bricked" because it isn't a sealed box full of un-changeable proprietary parts like a console or a tablet. If a motherboard dies it is a simple matter of replacing it and re-installing drivers, so I don't consider the PC bricked. If the XBone motherboard dies the whole console is "bricked" because there isn't a damn thing the user can do but send it in.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 16:19 Verno

JSP wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 16:13:
Think NSA can't track anyone with a PS4 in their living rooms? Think again.

I can just disconnect mine from the internet. The PS4 remains remarkably useful offline still.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 16:13 JSP

Think NSA can't track anyone with a PS4 in their living rooms? Think again.  

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 16:03 Cutter

And the NSA cackles with glee thinking of all the suckers who have just invited them into their home.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 15:00 Ecthelion

mag wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 14:31:
Ecthelion wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 14:10:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 14:01:
I've heard of laptops and even PC components getting bricked from BIOS or firmware updates, but often there's a way to reverse those that doesn't involve sending it in. I'd be plenty mad if I got a new system and it bricked the day I bought it.
You can absolutely brick your motherboard with the wrong BIOS update, which is user error of course. I've done it, using Revision 1.0a when it was 1.0b (or something like that, the model number was right but the revision was wrong). There may be a way to recover from that kind of problem now, but that's probably the closest you'll come to bricking a PC. Still, that's something you can fix yourself for the most part (although it's a PITA on a laptop).

These days lots of motherboards have dual BIOSes, so if you do something stupid you can hit a button and boot from the non-hosed one, or copy over a backup, or whatever.
I haven't built a new machine in several years, and this was probably 5-6 years ago. So I'm not surprised that there have been improvements since then. At the time, it was a pretty good way to ruin your system. Of course, as I said, that's user error, not a design flaw or buggy update. Also, replacing the motherboard is easier than sending a console back for service.

I was just trying to illustrate the point that "bricking" a PC usually isn't as catastrophic as on a console.

The worst thing I've ever done to a console is stick a used PS3 game in my system, and have it not eject. I had removed a label from the top of the disc without considering how that now-sticky surface would interact with the slot-load drive. I eventually got it out with a butter knife (don't try this at home, kids) after trying all the common fixes. I found that solution on a forum somewhere and it actually worked. I'm glad someone else was crazy enough to think of that fix, because sticking a knife into the disc drive isn't something most people would ever consider.

Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 14:58:
I'm pretty sure they did close to zero testing.
Or they just don't care. This is the same company that decided they didn't need a Network Install (i.e. downloadable executable update patch) for Windows 8 - 8.1, and still refuses to make one available after lots of requests. There is no easy way to small businesses who are too small to have MSDN subscriptions to update 5 Windows 8 laptops to 8.1. Microsoft thinks it's acceptable for that small business to have to download that 3GB update on the Microsoft Store 5 separate times instead of being able to download that update once and run it on 5 machines. Sometimes with Microsoft, they don't test, and sometimes they just make stupid decisions.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2013, 15:15.

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 14:58 Creston

Panickd wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 14:50:
In the early days a bad or wrong BIOS update applied could indeed "brick" a PC.

You could always reflash it to fix it. I'm not sure the average user can do that on the xbone.

But I take the point and yes I'd be pissed if the console I pre-ordered and waited a couple months for finally showed up only to hit a showstopper because of a required update that apparently wasn't as thoroughly tested as it should have been.

I'm pretty sure they did close to zero testing. If they had that much time to test it, why not get the damn update on the box to begin with. It's not as if these boxes were shipping to gamestop five weeks ago.

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 14:50 Panickd

Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 13:37:
Panickd wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 13:31:
Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 12:51:
As of yet, there is no known fix for Xbox One's bricked by the E100 error.

Ouuuuuccchhh... Yay, I spent 500 bucks on a new console, I'm gonna have so much fun!
"E100 Please send your console in for repair."

We need to see video of people's reactions after that. I wonder if some people will literally explode.

It's funny, in my ~ 25 years of PC gaming, I've never had a bricked PC.

What constitutes being "bricked" in the PC world? I've blown video cards, CPUs, memory chips, power supplies, had a few hard drives die and blew a motherboard once all of which brought my PC gaming to an end at the time for a minimum of several hours. Admittedly some of that was my fault for using parts beyond their specifications but some of it just died of it's own accord. But at any rate at least some of the parts could have been said to be "bricked".

Well, that's a part that dies, and you can just swap out a part. (Good luck doing that on a console). I was more referring to applying an update and bam, PC is dead, and you can't do shit except send it in for repairs.

I've had a few parts die on me, memory once, a hard disk once, and a power supply, but that's been it. Been kinda fortunate, I guess. (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!!!!!)

In the early days a bad or wrong BIOS update applied could indeed "brick" a PC. Today that is much, much harder to do (mainly because so many idiots did it that the manufacturers had to account for the possibility). I'm pretty sure that some of these consoles being bricked by updates are easily fixable and probably could be fixed by a knowledgeable end user. For the average end user though a PC is as effectively a "closed box" as a console is. So to them "doesn't work" equals "bricked".

But I take the point and yes I'd be pissed if the console I pre-ordered and waited a couple months for finally showed up only to hit a showstopper because of a required update that apparently wasn't as thoroughly tested as it should have been.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 14:35 Creston

I've heard of laptops and even PC components getting bricked from BIOS or firmware updates, but often there's a way to reverse those that doesn't involve sending it in. I'd be plenty mad if I got a new system and it bricked the day I bought it.
You can absolutely brick your motherboard with the wrong BIOS update, which is user error of course. I've done it, using Revision 1.0a when it was 1.0b (or something like that, the model number was right but the revision was wrong). There may be a way to recover from that kind of problem now, but that's probably the closest you'll come to bricking a PC. Still, that's something you can fix yourself for the most part (although it's a PITA on a laptop).

Unless you buy an absolutely cheap POS knock-off taiwanese motherboard, basically every mb comes with a second bios to take over in case your flash goes wrong.

And even so, that's still an issue with you fucking up the flash yourself because you made a mistake. I'm pretty sure none of those poor E100-getting bastards did anything beyond hooking that piece of shit spybox up and downloading the Microsoft mandated update.

(Even though they were dumb enough to buy a "watch your junk" box, I still feel kinda sorry for them, since it's gotta suck beyond all comprehension to bring a new console home to play some new games, and you get fucked in the ass by Microsoft still not being able to apply an update correctly, not even when it's to exactly the same piece of hardware that they have in the test lab.)

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 14:31 mag

These days lots of motherboards have dual BIOSes, so if you do something stupid you can hit a button and boot from the non-hosed one, or copy over a backup, or whatever.

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 14:10 Ecthelion

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 14:01 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 13:37:

Ouuuuuccchhh... Yay, I spent 500 bucks on a new console, I'm gonna have so much fun!

We need to see video of people's reactions after that. I wonder if some people will literally explode.

What constitutes being "bricked" in the PC world? I've blown video cards, CPUs, memory chips, power supplies, had a few hard drives die and blew a motherboard once all of which brought my PC gaming to an end at the time for a minimum of several hours. Admittedly some of that was my fault for using parts beyond their specifications but some of it just died of it's own accord. But at any rate at least some of the parts could have been said to be "bricked".

Well, that's a part that dies, and you can just swap out a part. (Good luck doing that on a console). I was more referring to applying an update and bam, PC is dead, and you can't do shit except send it in for repairs.

I've had a few parts die on me, memory once, a hard disk once, and a power supply, but that's been it. Been kinda fortunate, I guess. (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!!!!!)

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 13:37 Creston

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 13:31 Verno

Tumbler wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 13:14:
Meh, I'm not sure if I'd buy the One even at $400 right now. The choice of them to force kinect into every system when it still performs much like it did before is pretty pathetic.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-watching-tv-with-xbox-one/2300-8251/

Giantbomb did a demo/quicklook using the kinect to navigate TV and I can't help but feel like if this was the corner stone of this new system why didn't they get it working any better? It seems to have a lot of the same voice issues the last one did.

I have to wonder who wants to constantly use their voice to navigate the living room STBs? I know one reviewer said he loves it because he doesn't need the remote but I actually like my remote, its always 100% accurate and you build muscle memory quickly. I think the novelty of saying "xbox go to netflix" would wear off quickly both for myself and others in the house even if its technically faster to do it that way (assuming Kinect hears you). I guess it's good for spouses or something who aren't used to picking up the controller and interacting with it? I think they would be even more frustrated if its not 100% accurate though. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out over a longer timeline.

Snap seems like a cool idea but the preset sizes suck for many things. Also they murdered Game DVR what the fuck. 5 minutes of recording time and it only goes back 30 seconds? That's terrible.

Well first off, they have improved Kinnect a lot. You should do your research before railing on something. Read the giant bomb review and it was a bunch of garbage, you should be careful of what you read on the net.

They had both systems in the store yesterday, playing side by side. Looked at several games, including Battlefield 4 and several others available on both and saw little difference graphics wise. People spouting huge differences have an axe to grind.

Am a PC gamer, but the kids really like the kinnect games so if I were to actually get a console it would probably be the Xbox one as the PS4 just fails in that area

I'm not surprised you didn't see a difference on demo units at the store. I think the Playroom robot app is arguably the best justification for cameras on either system at the moment too. The Giant Bomb videos I've seen were fine (they're actually very balanced when it comes to Microsoft stuff) and mirror several others I've read about Kinect being improved but still failing in a 20%+ margin.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2013, 13:38.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 13:31 Panickd

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 13:21 HorrorScope

And if we did, we could fix it ourselves. But this is the fire these companies play with. A huge Zero day patch for the entire system, talk about living on the edge. Way back in the day tons of pros for console vs pc. Now many of the weaknesses of the PC are on the Console and you can't upgrade or fix issues yourself. Hmmm...

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo