Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Free Weekend

Steam News announces a free weekend is underway for RAGE, id Software's game of shooting and driving:

Play RAGE for FREE starting now through Sunday at 1PM Pacific Time. You can also pickup RAGE at 75% off the regular price!*

RAGE is a groundbreaking first-person shooter set in the not-too-distant future after an asteroid impacts Earth, leaving a ravaged world behind. You emerge into this vast wasteland to discover humanity working to rebuild itself against such forces as bandit gangs, mutants, and the Authority – an oppressive government regime that has a special interest in you in particular. Featuring intense first-person shooter action, breakneck vehicle combat, an expansive world to explore and jaw-dropping graphics powered by id’s revolutionary id Tech® 5 technology, RAGE promises an experience like no other.

Fearing a planet-wide extinction from a massive asteroid headed towards Earth, world leaders are faced with the inexorable task of ensuring human survival. Left with few alternatives, life-sustaining pods filled with select people are buried deep beneath the earth’s surface. You are one of the chosen members of these modern day arks and abruptly enter the RAGE universe after surfacing alone. Leaving you to your own devices to stay alive in a world filled with those who prefer you dead, RAGE combines powerful storytelling with heart-pounding action.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 21:55 Quinn

Beamer wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 17:55:
Wesp5 wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 17:43:
Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 17:08:
In related news John Carmack finally left id software.

Maybe that's for the best. Although I admire his 3D engine programing, at least up to the megatextures of RAGE, I think he always held id back gameplay wise, because he didn't really care much about the games other than from a technical view point...

Well, I mean, he was the technical director, not a game designer. He had nothing to do with game development. He made the tools, other people used them to make games.

And he obviously fucked up. Good thing he "left" id.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 21:23 netnerd85

Honestly people can't see the difference between RAGE and any other game that tiles textures like a bitch? I can barely stand tiled textures now, it's just horrible to look at.  

45. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 17:55 Beamer

Wesp5 wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 17:43:

Maybe that's for the best. Although I admire his 3D engine programing, at least up to the megatextures of RAGE, I think he always held id back gameplay wise, because he didn't really care much about the games other than from a technical view point...

Well, I mean, he was the technical director, not a game designer. He had nothing to do with game development. He made the tools, other people used them to make games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

44. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 17:43 Wesp5

43. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 17:40 Wesp5

Quinn wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 11:45:
"among the most beautiful games ever". Please, stop making a fool of yourself.

Maybe I didn't stop to look at one or two low resolution textures, but at the game as a whole!

42. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 17:08 Mad Max RW

41. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 13:12 MajorD

I wanted to see/verify a few things in RAGE, so I went to fire it up and was prompted with an option to run an unsupported 64bit version. So I figured I would give it a whirl; the game launched, ran through the initial intro movie, and then the screen went black for a few minutes until it finally started the game. No difference; still ugly low res textures and pop-in textures.......There was hope, but I'm not surprised.

RAGE is a groundbreaking first-person shooter... Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

...and jaw-dropping graphics powered by id’s revolutionary id Tech® 5 technology Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

...RAGE promises an experience like no other. Confused

WTF are they smoking???

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2013, 13:30.

40. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 13:00 Creston

Ugh, I'd totally forgotten about the horseshit id bulletsponges that the game is infested with.  

39. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 11:45 Quinn

Wesp5 wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 07:28:
Just a quick question for everyone complaining about the graphics. What system did you run it on? On a quadcore with a decent NVIDIA card RAGE is among the most beautiful games ever, but try it with an dualcore and an ATI card and you get textures issues all over...

And where in the end-credits is your name shown, mate?

You're talking shite, truly. The rig I played it on was high-end. Check the link ItBurn mentioned below my comment, and laugh so goddamn hard at your own ridiculous opinion.

"among the most beautiful games ever". Please, stop making a fool of yourself. I'm actually feeling sorry for you.

Edit/Add: Sorry for the offensive demeanor but... people who say RAGE is among the most beautiful games ever deserve to be ridiculed. Among those who think Man of Steel is a good movie, of course.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

38. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 11:26 ItBurn

Forgot about this gem: Farcry vs Rage  

37. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 10:44 nin

So I'm watching s4 of Breaking Bad, and Rage has been shown, in one capacity or another, in 3 episodes in a row (two on Jesse's tv, and one of the game box on a shelf). Wonder how much someone paid for that?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

36. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 10:34 MajorD

RAGE is a groundbreaking first-person shooter... Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

...and jaw-dropping graphics powered by id’s revolutionary id Tech® 5 technology Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

...RAGE promises an experience like no other. Confused

35. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 10:30 ItBurn

Rage was... boring. Enemies are bullet sponges. You can do 10 headshots on a guy and he's still living. It appears like an open-ended game, but it's just a linear corridor shooter, and I mean LINEAR! Invisible walls EVERYWHERE. Plus everything and bland and looks washed out, in a bad way. Worse texture detail I've seen since Duke Nukem 3D. I tried really hard to like it. I played 10 hours, but then gave up because it just wasn't getting any better.

All taken at max details:
Rage's amazing world textures and grass
lol
lol2

34. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 09:57 Necrophob

I haven't played much of Rage yet (the 20+ gig d/l was brutal on my 1 megabit downstream DSL). What I did play seemed ok.

Didn't Rage lack a true deathmatch mode? How could id screw up the one thing they're known for? And not supporting modding by having such a modder unfriendly tech, and by not releasing the tools in a reasonable time?

33. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 08:39 Verno

Rage was the game that showed me ids oftware is no longer capable of competing with modern development houses. It had probably been apparent to others for awhile but I was hopeful they would turn it around with Rage and it was just a let down in so many ways. Like someone else said it feels like they hadn't even played other games for the past 10 years and looked up demo reels on Youtube and tried to emulate the basest elements of those games.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

32. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 08:19 Suppa7

Rage was shit, iD software had been coasting on crappy single player after doom 2. Quake 1 + 2 had shitty SP campaigns. Doom 3 they lucked out and made a just average game but nowhere near as good and fun as Serious Sam/Doom 2.

Rage could have been good but it was just so obvious people who made rage hadn't played many games in years. Developers who don't play a lot of games aren't going to learn the lessons other developers learned making first person shooters.

Rage's failure is exactly what iD software needed, let's all face this. iD software had been coasting for so long on their multiplayer and just being more technically proficient then other developers. Other developers began to surpass iD in terms of gameplay and iD never learned from these other devs.

31. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 08:02 netnerd85

PHJF wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 07:44:
TheVocalMinority wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 06:39:
I think a lot of the people posting here must have played a different game called "Rage" than the one I did. Tell me, did yours have shitty vehicular combat in it with ridiculous amounts of auto aim?

I think so. Did yours also have enemies which would repeatedly get shot in the head and shrug it off?

RAGE makes Doom 3 look like Doom 2.
Because lots of people like Doom 2 more than Doom 3?

30. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 07:44 PHJF

TheVocalMinority wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 06:39:
I think a lot of the people posting here must have played a different game called "Rage" than the one I did. Tell me, did yours have shitty vehicular combat in it with ridiculous amounts of auto aim?

I think so. Did yours also have enemies which would repeatedly get shot in the head and shrug it off?

RAGE makes Doom 3 look like Doom 2.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

29. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 07:28 Wesp5

Just a quick question for everyone complaining about the graphics. What system did you run it on? On a quadcore with a decent NVIDIA card RAGE is among the most beautiful games ever, but try it with an dualcore and an ATI card and you get textures issues all over...  

28. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 06:39 TheVocalMinority

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo