Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Free Weekend

Steam News announces a free weekend is underway for RAGE, id Software's game of shooting and driving:

Play RAGE for FREE starting now through Sunday at 1PM Pacific Time. You can also pickup RAGE at 75% off the regular price!*

RAGE is a groundbreaking first-person shooter set in the not-too-distant future after an asteroid impacts Earth, leaving a ravaged world behind. You emerge into this vast wasteland to discover humanity working to rebuild itself against such forces as bandit gangs, mutants, and the Authority – an oppressive government regime that has a special interest in you in particular. Featuring intense first-person shooter action, breakneck vehicle combat, an expansive world to explore and jaw-dropping graphics powered by id’s revolutionary id Tech® 5 technology, RAGE promises an experience like no other.

Fearing a planet-wide extinction from a massive asteroid headed towards Earth, world leaders are faced with the inexorable task of ensuring human survival. Left with few alternatives, life-sustaining pods filled with select people are buried deep beneath the earth’s surface. You are one of the chosen members of these modern day arks and abruptly enter the RAGE universe after surfacing alone. Leaving you to your own devices to stay alive in a world filled with those who prefer you dead, RAGE combines powerful storytelling with heart-pounding action.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

27. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 06:22 Quinn

I agree with theyarecomingforyou completely. The game was a clusterfuck, graphics sucked even when they worked the way they should, gameplay was nothing new, enemies didn't even have physics attached to their corpses, the game would've been bad even in 2007.

The people who actually SOMEHOW think this game is awesome are in this delusional state where they think being in the minority actually makes your opinion superior to others. If that's not the case, which is ofc possible, remind me to never ever ever ever ever ever EVER get biased by their game opinions xD

Truly, you could almost call it a scientific fact the game was crap incarnate.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 05:36 MoonSpook

I picked RAGE up six months or so ago (the last time it was this price) along with it's DLC. I wasn't expecting much since it had received so much negativity - but I was pleasantly surprised. I genuinely enjoyed my time with it. It's not stellar, but heck, I only paid a few quid for it and it was well worth the cash, and for this price I would recommend it to others if they're in need of some shooty-shooty. Also, whoever did the animation for the one-to-one conversational NPCs in the game deserves a raise. For it's age, it was top-notch.  

25. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 05:34 netnerd85

RAGE was awesome, I love playing through the first area. Best FPS gunplay mechanics IMO.

Complaining about technical issues is one thing but they are fixed now. The world and characters are crafted so well, you'd be insane to pass it up. It definitely a nice take on the FPS genre, don't be mistaken into thinking it's an RPG. Quest based FPS!

24. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 04:47 theyarecomingforyou

RAGE was a trainwreck.

Graphically it was a clusterfuck, with some decent scenes but others employing pathetically low quality sprites and items with one-tenth the polygon detail expected of a modern game - the texture quality was shockingly bad.

Gameplay wise the shooting side of things was well done but the AI was really weak, the level design obscenely linear (worse than COD), the story an insult and the driving sections were tedious. The ending was missing altogether and it was clear that there was originally going to be a boss fight but they decided to cut it. What's the point of giving you the BFG and then end the game before you have any enemies to use it against? The first time I completed the game I hadn't even fired a shot as I was saving my ammo for the boss.

Then there were all the technical issues, texture pop-in, performance issues, crashes, etc.

I didn't particularly rate Doom 3 but at least it was a competent game. RAGE was simply bad.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

23. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 03:40 Wesp5

Redmask wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 00:07:
I have no idea what the hell they were thinking with that ending either.

They wanted to do a sequel of course. Think of the HL2:EP2 ending or The Precursors, which probably nobody hear knows about anyway ;). In my opinion RAGE is the best game id ever did and much underrated. You got solid shooting, fun driving, rudimentary quests and beautiful NPCs! But it all went to hell with the megatextures version they implemented. Not only did it kill off most modding, it also looked ugly on slow systems! Now after I upgraded my rig, I finally can run it maxed and it looks quite stunning then, but before? No wonder people were dissappointed and I'm really surprised that a tech geek like Carmack didn't see this coming. Before RAGE id games were always running great on older systems compared to CryTek or Frostbite that needed brute force...

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2013, 03:57.

22. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 03:35 El Pit

Played it, finished it, and moved on. The game is not as bad as many of you think, but it's definitely inferior to Borderlands.

EDIT: Yes, the ending was a big, loud "Ah, damn, we don't care, so... Let's just fade in 'The End', and that's that."

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2013, 04:46.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

21. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 03:11 Acleacius

Thing is, there are SO MANY better games to play.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

20. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 02:04 Creston

Redmask wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 00:07:
I have no idea what the hell they were thinking with that ending either.

"I'm bored working on RAGE."
"Me too."
"Let's just ship it."

19. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 01:50 Flatline

I'd probably give it a 6, maybe a 6.5. It was a solid shooter, the driving levels were fun, but after that, well... It didn't do anything to make itself special in FPS market. Competent but uninspired.  

18. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 01:17 Quinn

I'll only touch that game ever again if I get paid for it.  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

17. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 01:05 jimnms

Does this free weekend include the single player?  

MeanJim on Steam

16. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 00:45 LittleMe

There were a few moments where I got a distinct DOOM vibe in Rage. Not all the time of course, but it was a nice surprise to get that. IMO the game is good and certainly worth at least $5 (and more) for FPS fans. I hope they continue the series as long as they improve upon it.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

15. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 00:11 xXBatmanXx

Anyone wants to do co-op, hit me up.

Otherwise, i am goign to watch more Breaking Bad and play GTA5.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

14. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 00:11 Fletch

People still play RAGE?  

13. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 00:07 Redmask

Rage was a really average shooter that I didn't find very satisfying. They tried to mix things up with a pretty world and some driving but the number of invisible walls and other annoyances just piled up. I have no idea what the hell they were thinking with that ending either.  

12. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 21, 2013, 23:34 Krovven

I was pissed off with the game having paid the pre-order price. The game is "ok", but it just seemed like there was a shell of an open world action-rpg, with a linear game inside.

What I'm really pissed off about was that the games graphics were so fucked up for the first month with my ATI card, that the game was unplayable. Neither Bethesda nor Steam were willing to give a refund.

Once the patch/drivers finally came out, a friend and I tried to play coop without success. We could not connect to each other, regardless who hosted. The big kicker was, we could host/join each others MP race games no problem. That game mode sucked and we never touched it again.

It wasn't until about 6 months later we tried again and did connect. Turns out the coop was just as boring as the single player game.

11. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 21, 2013, 23:03 xXBatmanXx

I enjoyed the game, but haven't finished it yet. I am sure something shiny blew across the screen and I started playing something else. This might get me back into it.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

10. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 21, 2013, 22:19 m00t

Bill Borre wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 21:41:
lol. Most players can prolly finish the game over the weekend.

Assuming the download finished before the weekend does...

9. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 21, 2013, 22:15 Creston

Xero wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 21:44:
I've always been tempted to buy this game but never could pull the trigger. I think now going for 4.99 and the little DLC at 1.xx, I'm going for it. Id always made decent shooters if anything, and I think 5 clams is worth the fun you could get out of this one

The shooting is alright, and to be honest, I actually enjoyed the driving sections, though I hate that they are a "Win once and you can never do this race again!" type of deal. There are also some really cool levels design wise.

Most of this is let down by a piece of shit engine with the weirdest "god that's beautiful" and "holy shit, that looks like it rolled straight off my old Vic-20" dichotomy in graphics ever seen by man, pointless and boring downtime between missions and an absolutely CACK story.

If you have a really really fast pipe, I'd say it's worth 5 bucks. Otherwise, don't waste the time for the 30 GB download.

8. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 21, 2013, 22:03 Beelzebud

I got it for 5 over the summer on a sale, and never even finished it. I'd say to me it wasn't worth it.  

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo