Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The calendar keeps ignoring my requests to stop, and so it turns out today is another birthday for me. Celebrations are pretty subdued here, however, as we spent the day in the hospital yesterday saying goodbye to my step-grandma, as she requested to be taken off all of her life-support after her kidneys finally gave out. If she hasn't passed yet, she'll go soon, and we are heartbroken. She was a remarkable woman who lead a magnificent life for 93 years, and she will be missed... one of the next couple of days I'll write up a bit to justify that hype. On the brighter side, I'm considering my present this year to be Hudson the wonder dog, and the way she is hanging in there pretty well for the time being. There had been indications her kidneys were likewise failing due to her medications, but they have rebounded and she's doing better at the moment. Hudson and Grandma Belle are the same age (if you do that dog years math), and in an odd coincidence, each suffered a bout of congestive heart failure at the same time, and have spent the past several weeks sharing symptoms and prognoses in an eerie way, and only just in the past week did their seemingly intertwined outlooks diverge. Hats off to Belle, Hudson, and all their fellow elders who have to have the final frontier so bravely, and who have less need to live for themselves than for the rest of us who struggle so hard to let them go when they are ready.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Infectonator: Hot Chase.
Transmyter Games.
Story: North Texas Drivers Stopped at Roadblock Asked for Saliva, Blood. Thanks Slashdot.
Science: Wolf to Dog - Scientists Agree on How, but Not Where. Thanks j.c.f.
Media: Computer Chips in Your Brain.
This is why you never turn your back to a tiger.
Dog Uses Stream and Ball to Play Fetch By Itself. Gunnar-man does the same with a hill.

View
79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

39. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 17:01 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 16:58:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 16:47:
Acting like an adult and being respectful is the best way to get through a traffic stop.

Although it wasn't clear, I was referring to the bullshit that was going on in Texas, not a normal traffic stop, even though those are, quite frankly, horseshit too.

I've gotten stopped twice for a check to see if I was driving with insurance, yet the one time that I got fucking crashed into by a guy who pretended to have insurance, only to later find out it was expired, and I tried to tell the cops about it, they were like "Yeah, that happens." And that was that. You guys aren't going to go give him a ticket for driving without insurance? "no."

Okay then. Please fucking pull me over again because you obviously care so much about people driving without insurance.

Can't speak for other states, but in Minnesota driving without insurance is pretty much the same as a DWI. When people call and tell me that they later found out the other driver doesn't have insurance, I update my report and make sure a copy goes to the city/county attorney for charging. Sorry you had that interaction, but once the incident is over, a cop rarely has anything to do with it. I would notify MY insurance company of the situation, then either retain a civil attorney to go after them, or work with city/county attorney for restitution.
Just throwing your hands up in the air in frustation is no one's fault but your own. Crashes are civil issues, usually not criminal issues.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 17:00 Creston

PHJF wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 16:59:
a) OVI checkpoints are publicly announced well in advance (time, location, date)

b) OVI checkpoints have signage deployed in advance of the checkpoint and give drivers the option to turn off the road/avoid the checkpoint

What does OVI stand for, anyway? Operating a Vehicle under the Influence? Did they change the old DWI/DUI?

37. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 16:59 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 16:56:
Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 16:54:
Verno wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 15:57:
Know your rights and exercise them but also understand that cops are human beings too. Most interactions I've had with police have been friendly because that's how I act, like they're another person just doing a job instead of some authoritarian figure out to get me.

The sad thing is that more and more they're turning into the latter, rather than the former.

eh, I wholeheartedly disagree. Cops are nicer, more professional, less likely to kick your ass, etc etc etc than ever before. Go talk to an old time copper....

It's not the old-timers that I see on the road here anymore. It's the guys in their 20s who apparently get a hard-on for being a cop. The Sheriff in my county retired last year, and got replaced by one of his newest deputies, and the guy is a total fucking asshole.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 16:59 PHJF

a) OVI checkpoints are publicly announced well in advance (time, location, date)

b) OVI checkpoints have signage deployed in advance of the checkpoint and give drivers the option to turn off the road/avoid the checkpoint

c) OVI checkpoints are brusque, ineffective, expensive, and consequently seldom used. They are deployed as show-of-force.

This is in regard to that "flex your muscles" video of an Ohio checkpoint. He wasn't flexing anything. The officer was checking to see if he was OVI. He didn't appear to be. They let him go. If the officer had reasonable, articulable suspicion the driver was OVI, he would have been completely legal in detaining the driver. That's Ohio law. He didn't see erratic driving, he didn't smell alcohol, he didn't see nystagmus, he didn't hear slurred speech, he didn't see impaired hand-eye coordination.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 16:58 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 16:47:
Acting like an adult and being respectful is the best way to get through a traffic stop.

Although it wasn't clear, I was referring to the bullshit that was going on in Texas, not a normal traffic stop, even though those are, quite frankly, horseshit too.

I've gotten stopped twice for a check to see if I was driving with insurance, yet the one time that I got fucking crashed into by a guy who pretended to have insurance, only to later find out it was expired, and I tried to tell the cops about it, they were like "Yeah, that happens." And that was that. You guys aren't going to go give him a ticket for driving without insurance? "no."

Okay then. Please fucking pull me over again because you obviously care so much about people driving without insurance.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 16:56 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 16:54:
Know your rights and exercise them but also understand that cops are human beings too. Most interactions I've had with police have been friendly because that's how I act, like they're another person just doing a job instead of some authoritarian figure out to get me.

The sad thing is that more and more they're turning into the latter, rather than the former.

eh, I wholeheartedly disagree. Cops are nicer, more professional, less likely to kick your ass, etc etc etc than ever before. Go talk to an old time copper....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 16:54 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 16:52:
Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 15:53:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 15:51:
Good way to end up in jail.

For doing what, exactly?

Pissing off a cop.

Heh, I'd seriously like to see them try to take that to trial.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 16:54 Creston

By all means if some cop is out of line then make sure he understands you know your rights. But if you get pulled over, refuse to talk and are acting like a weirdo with some printoff card from the internet then I wouldn't be surprised if that causes more problems for you than it helps.

It definitely depends on how they act as well, but in the example that started the whole discussion, them pulling you over for no good reason for their horseshit government let's get DNA from everyone "survey", I'd definitely be inclined to give them said card. And again, what would be causing problems? What exactly are you doing that's against the law?

31. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 16:52 Agent.X7

For doing what, exactly?

Pissing off a cop.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 16:47 xXBatmanXx

But if you get pulled over, refuse to talk and are acting like a weirdo with some printoff card from the internet then I wouldn't be surprised if that causes more problems for you than it helps.

*DING

It sets off alarm bells. That is the type of stuff whack-job Sovereign Citizens do. First off, if you handed me that card I would instantly see that it isn't your insurance card and return it. I am not going to stand on the side of a road and read 4 point font while you are inside of a dark car and my attention is off of you. If there was a secondary checkpoint, I would send you to it. Period.

Next, the two morons in the video are looking to cause and create trouble. They are attempting to create a situation and sue the department. They intentionally drove through the same checkpoint 2x in opposite directions. Judging by the comments made by person off camera, they wanted to get a rise out of the officers to see what would happen - and they obviously have contempt for law enforcement.

The first officer was hard to watch. He isn't safe at all, and had the people in the car wanted to kill them, they could have easily. His eyes are off the car and occupants several times and for extended periods of time. I am more concerned for his safety than I am what is going on with the stupid card.

Next, I don't know what the laws are in the state they are in. But windows have been busted when officers ask to roll down the window and they don't comply (at similar checkpoints). I always request that the window be rolled down further, as it is hard to hear with traffic, etc. It is quiet in the vehicle, so it is easy for passengers to hear, but there is a lot of noise on the outside of a vehicle, and we can't hear you when you do dumb shit like that. If the window "doesn't work" I ask them to open the door so we can chat.

I don't know what an OVI checkpoint is, but if they were looking for drunk drivers, and those checkpoints are legal, then both officers got what they wanted. You can see both of them get close enough to smell the contents of the vehicle. Had anyone in the vehicle been drinking, they would have smelled it and moved them to a secondary checkpoint.

They are doing nothing other than hampering the job the officers are doing. In most checkpoint type situations, if the person in the car doesn't do exactly what was requested, then they get passed to next checkpoint where they can take more time to deal with twats like this - which I am surprised didn't happen here.

The officers in the video are doing what is penned by their local/state laws. If you live in that state and don't like it, move to another state, or try and effect change. Minnesota doesn't allow checkpoints.

Acting like an adult and being respectful is the best way to get through a traffic stop. You act like an ass, you probably get a ticket. I never understood why anyone is anything other than nice. These things fall under "what would a normal person do in the same situation" - well, this isn't it.

Did I miss anything?

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 15:57 Verno

Know your rights and exercise them but also understand that cops are human beings too. Most interactions I've had with police have been friendly because that's how I act, like they're another person just doing a job instead of some authoritarian figure out to get me. By all means if some cop is out of line then make sure he understands you know your rights. But if you get pulled over, refuse to talk and are acting like a weirdo with some printoff card from the internet then I wouldn't be surprised if that causes more problems for you than it helps.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 15:56 nin

For doing what, exactly?

I'd rather end up in front of a judge than give blood and saliva to the gestapo.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 15:53 Creston

For doing what, exactly?

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 15:51 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 15:38:
Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 14:42:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 11:30:
That Texas story is a serious WTF.

Oh man, get on Youtube and follow that up. In Alabama they had a massive checkpoint stop doing this. It wasn't just a few cops.

How To Flex Your Rights at an OVI Checkpoint

That's pretty awesome. I'm going to make me one of those cards.

Good way to end up in jail for the night, or get mounted with tickets. A lawful stop is a lawful stop. period.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 15:49 Hoop

Congratulations, commiserations & give Hudson a hug from me.  

Um .. Behind you...

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 15:45 Mr. Tact

Condolences to you and your family, Blue.

93, wow. I don't know if the possibility of living to that age (another 42 years) thrills me or scares the hell out of me -- little of both I guess.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 15:38 Creston

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 14:42:

Oh man, get on Youtube and follow that up. In Alabama they had a massive checkpoint stop doing this. It wasn't just a few cops.

That's pretty awesome. I'm going to make me one of those cards.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 15:22 1badmf

fucking cops man. i have the utmost respect for people in uniform, but conversely have no respect for said people that abuse their power. it just makes me sad that we read this sorta nonsense way too often. seems like they don't give a shit about 'protect and serve'; they just wanna arrest people and exert their powers. for people who are nominally meant to serve the law, they sure don't give a shit about following it.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 14:42 Cutter

Watch this short vid. This guy is a genius. Had a card made up with the following that he just hands to authorities when stopped.

COP ID
I wrote this to sum up all of the rights one needs to understand, declare and practice when dealing with Law Enforcement of any sort. Copy the quoted text below*, format into business card size, print, laminate and place in wallet or on person.

While driving, hand COP ID along with driver's license. When not driving, use COP ID alone, with no other form of identification. Remain silent.

*At bottom of COP ID, place Name and Birth Date (place birth date only if 21+ years of age. One has the right to not self-incriminate, therefore if you're suspected to have had committed an age-based crime [Underage Drinking, Curfew, etc.] YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TELL ANYONE YOUR BIRTH DATE OR AGE!!!) Also, for privacy, do not place address or Social Security Number on COP ID, communicate those verbally if required by law (check local/state statutes).

COP ID TEXT:

"I hereby invoke and refuse to waive all of the following rights and privileges afforded to me by the U.S. Constitution:
-I invoke and refuse to waive my Fifth Amendment right to remain silent. DO NOT ASK ME ANY QUESTIONS.
-I invoke and refuse to waive my Sixth Amendment right to an attorney of my choice. DO NOT ASK ME ANY QUESTIONS WITHOUT MY ATTORNEY PRESENT.
-I invoke and refuse to waive all privileges and right pursuant to the case Miranda v. Arizona. DO NOT ASK ME ANY QUESTIONS OR MAKE ANY COMMENT TO ME ABOUT THIS DECISION.
-I invoke and refuse to waive my Fourth Amendment right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures. I DO NOT CONSENT TO ANY SEARCH OR SEIZURE OF MYSELF, MY HOME, OR OF ANY PROPERTY IN MY POSSESSION. Do not ask me about my ownership interest in any property. I DO NOT CONSENT TO THIS CONTACT WITH YOU. If I am not presently under arrest or under investigatory detention, please ALLOW ME TO LEAVE.
-Any statement I make, or alleged consent I give, in response to your questions is hereby UNDER PROTEST AND UNDER DURESS and in submission to your claim of lawful authority to force me to provide you with the information.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 14:39 Cutter

Malachii wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 11:31:
I suspect that a large sum of Blues traffic are older geezers that have been around for a while and nearing the time in our lives when loved ones will begin passing. As we get older we really appreciate life itself and health more than ever.

Yeah, when you start to realize that you have more days behind you than ahead of you and people in your world start kicking off more regularly it can feel pretty grim. That's why you need to live it up while you can.

Sorry to hear that, Blue. At least Huddy is the silver lining. Get Mrs. Blue to take you out to dinner.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo