Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The calendar keeps ignoring my requests to stop, and so it turns out today is another birthday for me. Celebrations are pretty subdued here, however, as we spent the day in the hospital yesterday saying goodbye to my step-grandma, as she requested to be taken off all of her life-support after her kidneys finally gave out. If she hasn't passed yet, she'll go soon, and we are heartbroken. She was a remarkable woman who lead a magnificent life for 93 years, and she will be missed... one of the next couple of days I'll write up a bit to justify that hype. On the brighter side, I'm considering my present this year to be Hudson the wonder dog, and the way she is hanging in there pretty well for the time being. There had been indications her kidneys were likewise failing due to her medications, but they have rebounded and she's doing better at the moment. Hudson and Grandma Belle are the same age (if you do that dog years math), and in an odd coincidence, each suffered a bout of congestive heart failure at the same time, and have spent the past several weeks sharing symptoms and prognoses in an eerie way, and only just in the past week did their seemingly intertwined outlooks diverge. Hats off to Belle, Hudson, and all their fellow elders who have to have the final frontier so bravely, and who have less need to live for themselves than for the rest of us who struggle so hard to let them go when they are ready.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Infectonator: Hot Chase.
Transmyter Games.
Story: North Texas Drivers Stopped at Roadblock Asked for Saliva, Blood. Thanks Slashdot.
Science: Wolf to Dog - Scientists Agree on How, but Not Where. Thanks j.c.f.
Media: Computer Chips in Your Brain.
This is why you never turn your back to a tiger.
Dog Uses Stream and Ball to Play Fetch By Itself. Gunnar-man does the same with a hill.

View
79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

79. So many deaths lately! Dec 2, 2013, 09:24 Ant

Blue just told me about his recent deaths in his life. Same here, Blue. I even blogged about them in http://aqfl.net/node/10716 ... Life is so crazy and sucky! [sighs]  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

78. This is why you never turn your back to a tiger. Nov 22, 2013, 14:42 Frags4Fun

Note to self: Bring protective glass shield if ever I got on an African safari
<That's the caption under the video.

I wasn't aware of any tigers in Africa.

77. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 13:26 Frags4Fun

Hey Blue,

I'm very sorry to hear about your step-grandma and your dog. So sad.

It would appear that you share your birthday with my wife. That's cool. I hope you have a good day.

76. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 09:27 Verno

gray wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 08:34:
The US just sounds like a police state these days. I've been stopped by cops once in 20 years and that was for speeding when I was 19. No checkpoints, no 'surveys'. WTH is that with picking up kids from school, you can't wander in and take them out anytime of the day? I think I'd leave the country.

At my daughters school there were a few morons who would tear ass into the parking lot, try to park right beside the doors and do other stupid shit. Kids were walking between cars because they were everywhere, not parked properly, lined up at the curb and so on. They made everyone park on the road near the school instead of at the school itself for safety reasons because there were a few close calls. This wouldn't be a big deal but it makes crazy long lines when everyone gets off work, obstructs traffic and other shit. So they probably are just trying to keep it orderly which is fine. Of course it could also just be the constantly overreaching teachers and school boards these days. I'm so tired of getting school notices about new restrictions, things kids cant bring into school and so on.

The part where I get pissed off is when the dad walks on foot into the school and is told that he can't take his kids because he "skipped the line". That's just some power tripping fucking idiot. The guard is lucky he didn't end up in the hospital, you do not come between a parent and their children unless the situation is dire or abusive.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

75. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 08:34 gray

The US just sounds like a police state these days. I've been stopped by cops once in 20 years and that was for speeding when I was 19. No checkpoints, no 'surveys'. WTH is that with picking up kids from school, you can't wander in and take them out anytime of the day? I think I'd leave the country.  

74. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 00:44 Sepharo

OVI checkpoints or sobriety checkpoints were found legal by the Supreme Court. That article was not about those though it was about a survey ran by the federal government and aided by local police on drivers. Some lady freaked out. If you can believe it the CNN article I linked earlier says:
Deputies were told they were not to make arrests, he said. If a breath sample indicated that a driver was legally intoxicated, "The organization would handle them as far as a ride home."

73. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 00:41 xXBatmanXx

*slowclap

Looks like they are locking out xbox 360s so that XBones can join the network. And the network is currently on it's knees....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

72. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 22:22 Cutter

PHJF wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 18:45:
Here's the ESO beta key they sent me.

7759F5Y5YHJEFDNRHACT

Thanks Prof and Bats! You guys rock.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

71. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 22:17 Creston

I think you're kinda supposed to pick ending C.

Also, what kind of stone-cold bastard do you have to be to kill Michael? I mean, what??!

70. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 22:14 xXBatmanXx

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG!

GTA5:
Finally got time to sit down and finish the game, had been piece mailing it here and there when I had some time.

Ending A: Lame
Ending B: Lame
Ending C: SWEET!

Super Secret Text for those who don't want to know anything about the ending:
Did they make A and B lame on purpose? I guess not a lot you could do there, but both were very boring. Then, C is hella long, took me 36 minutes to complete the mission! After playing C I felt satisfied and had a lot of fun. Glad I played them in order. I played around after each ending in that ending sequence, and I like the messages and stuff that happens because you chose to do A or B. I didn't stay very long, but wonder if there is other stuff that goes on.

Anyway, I can see a lot of possibilities for DLC.....very fun game. Now I am going to go through and see if I can improve on my scores/times with each mission I didn't get 100%, and the freaks missions. Such a well made game.

Stats: 53 Hours, 33/59 hobbies, 42/58 Strangers/Freaks, 29/57 random events, 20/30 Misc events. With reloads, screwing around, etc. Probably 55 hours of gameplay.

I wasn't really thinking, and bought almost all properties with Michael...so now as I play the game and do cleanup with finding everything, I figure I will just use him so I get all of the weekly missions from each business.....maybe it was good I bought most of them with 1 person.....I dunno.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2013, 22:22.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

69. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 18:45 PHJF

Here's the ESO beta key they sent me.

7759F5Y5YHJEFDNRHACT

Steam + PSN: PHJF

68. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 18:44 Creston

Oh, Xcom, why do you hate us so?

No enemies, no enemies, no enemies, no...

Sectopod, 2 drones, 3 crysalids, 3 elite mutons. All clumped together.

Motherfu....

Cry

Edit: AND THREE FUCKING FLOATERS 2 TILES BEHIND THAT CLUSTER OF ASSFUCKING!

67. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 18:37 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 18:35:
Just saw from comments last night a lot of people seem to be getting beta keys for TESO. Still haven't got one. :-fume-: If they're handing out buddy keys I'd appreciate it if someone can toss one my way. I'm hella deep into a new playthrough of Skyrim so I'd like to see the rest of Tamriel looks in TESO.

ugh. Wish they would figure my issue out so I can play tomorrow....

66. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 18:35 Cutter

Just saw from comments last night a lot of people seem to be getting beta keys for TESO. Still haven't got one. :-fume-: If they're handing out buddy keys I'd appreciate it if someone can toss one my way. I'm hella deep into a new playthrough of Skyrim so I'd like to see the rest of Tamriel looks in TESO.

65. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 18:33 HorrorScope

God Bless all involved.  

64. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 18:31 Cutter

That's why the magic words are "Am I being detained or am I free to go?"

Personally I agree with Bats. I've gotten out of more tickets just by being polite, respectful, and joking around with cops then the "I know my rights!!!" whackjobs. However, I have gone that way too when said cop is being a dick a for no reason. And they've never done anything but let me go on my way when they realize they're not going to win. Shit, I spent 3 years in court fighting a ticket because the cop was a dick and I ultimately won.

63. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 18:12 StratX

Sorry for your loss Blue. She's never really gone as long as you have memories  

62. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 17:41 Agent.X7

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 17:28:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 17:23:
Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 17:09:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 17:07:
Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 16:54:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 16:52:
Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 15:53:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 15:51:
Good way to end up in jail.

For doing what, exactly?

Pissing off a cop.

Heh, I'd seriously like to see them try to take that to trial.

It's not about taking it to a trial. How ruined is your day now that you had to spend the night in a holding cell or had a pile of tickets dropped in your lap that you now have to take the time to fight or pay for?

Where is this pile of tickets coming from? Again, if you inform a cop of your rights, what exactly is he going to write you up for? Him getting pissed off is not a valid reason for writing me a ticket. If I'm abusing him, threatening him or things like that, sure. If you politely hand him something like the aforementioned card along with your driver's license, what exactly are you doing that you think is against the law?

Cops don't have the authority to just randomly fucking write tickets and detain people.

No, they don't. But since when has that ever stopped anyone?

All the time every time. I and other officers I train and work with, NEVER stop someone "just because". Again, can't speak for other people, but not all cops are bad cops. Yea, there are bad ones, and I hope they are dealt with, lose their jobs, and a criminally charged - I sure as hell won't work with them and don't want anything to do with them.

It is so easy to have a reason to stop a car, I never understood why "bad cops" would have to make up a reason. I see thousands of cars a shift, it wouldn't even cross my mind to stop one for no reason. Which is probably why I have never lost a case.

I'm not saying all cops are bad. However, cops are just like everyone else. Oh, I can't believe that guy was a serial killer, he was so quiet and nice. Oh, I can't believe that officer was skimming dope from suspects, he was such an upstanding cop.

PS - nobody has to take my word for the shit that happens. Google some cop forums and read in their own words the dickish things some of these guys do.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

61. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 17:34 xXBatmanXx

eh, go back, you said nothing happened on either, but I gave 3 points. What did City/County attorney do?

Anyway. Don't care, you got screwed, life sucks.

Going to play games now - this is boring. The state you live in sucks, deal with it.

(also, cop can't really write a ticket in that situation unless he saw it happen. Can't ticket for an witnessed petty misdemeanor) You would have had to give a written statement and do a citizens' arrest. Also, if he DID give him a ticket and the guy hurried up and paid it, you can't amend a ticket that is already closed, and a new trial can't be setup for the same incident, as that would be double jeopardy.

/eh, we aren't even CLOSE to a police state....

60. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 17:34 Agent.X7

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 17:13:
North Texas article:

*UPDATE TO THE VIDEO ABOVE** Fort Worth police initially said they could not immediately find any record of their officers being involved in the roadblock, but on Tuesday police spokesman Sgt. Kelly Peel said that the department's Traffic Division coordinated with the NHTSA on the use of off-duty officers after the agency asked for help with the survey.

"We are reviewing the actions of all police personnel involved to ensure that FWPD policies and procedures were followed," he said. "We apologize if any of our drivers and citizens were offended or inconvenienced by the NHTSA National Roadside Survey."

Don't be mad at cops, be mad at the NHTSA.

Be mad at the state of society. Our wasteful and ridiculous war on drugs, terror, and whatever else we can think of has slowly gotten people used to a police state that encourages this kind of bullshit.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo