Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Black Mesa Goes Commercial

The Black Mesa Forums celebrate the 15th anniversary of the release of Half-Life with the news that Black Mesa, their Source-engine remake of the shooter, is coming to Steam as a commercial release (thanks Eurogamer). Here's the announcement:

The Big News:
Last year, Black Mesa was one of the first Steam games to be Greenlit by you, our amazing fans. We've had quite a year since then, with a lot happening internally that we haven't been able to talk about... until now. Black Mesa has been given the opportunity to be sold as a retail product on Steam! This is an incredible honor - one we never expected - but also one we found hard to accept.

We never developed Black Mesa with money in mind. Our team is made up of average, hardworking people, and no one joined the team to make money. For us, Black Mesa is purely a labor of love. We believe this philosophy has significantly contributed to the overall quality and feel of the game.

Our decision to sell Black Mesa rests on two key points. One is we believe we can make the game even better by having full access to the Source engine. This lets us tackle and fix limitations instead of working around them. The second is because frankly, our team could really use the financial help.

The Plan:
Soon you'll see Black Mesa available on Steam for a relatively low price. But we aren't dropping all support for the free version. In fact shortly after the Steam release there will be a completely new free version of the game. We also plan to open source our maps and some game assets to the modding community!

Purchasing the Steam version of Black Mesa is more about supporting the team and our efforts than anything else. However, the Steam version will include features that the free version simply can not have. We will be paying careful attention to feedback, and you'll have a very real say in how the final game turns out.

Long-Term Plans and Xen:
We've been overwhelmed by fan anticipation for Xen, and we're excited so many people are eager to conclude the game. To be totally honest however, Xen is still a ways off. Over the past year, we have spent a HUGE amount of time porting the game to a new engine and fixing hundreds of bugs. The work to port to the new engine was not because of the decision to go retail, this was work that had to be done to get Black Mesa onto Steam and support our future plans.

So, please be patient with us as we work to make Xen a stunning and worthy conclusion to Black Mesa. Until Xen is completed, we have multiple interesting additions planned for the Steam version of Black Mesa, which we will announce later on down the road.

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

38. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 21:09 Cutter

Jesus, are you people thick? I obviously didn't mean Valve was doing this. I said thanks for nothing, regarding Valve. And the other bit was, yeah, we've all played HL backward and forward, and Source is antiquated as it is, so remaking the game we all know backward and forward with an antique engine isn't doing anyone any favours all around when all we really want to see is HL3 with a new engine? Is that clear enough for everyone? Want me to send it out in braille? FFS people!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 20:25 Parias

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 19:58:
bigspender wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 18:23:
So the remake was pretty damn cool - but its been given away for free for like a year - what makes them think anyone is going to pay for it now?
Well, I intend to buy it and several other people have indicated the same. Don't forget that a lot of people won't even know about it or aren't comfortable installing mods

It's not really a mod though - isn't it a totally standalone product with it's own installer? You pretty much just hit "Go" to make it run.

36. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 19:58 theyarecomingforyou

bigspender wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 18:23:
So the remake was pretty damn cool - but its been given away for free for like a year - what makes them think anyone is going to pay for it now?
Well, I intend to buy it and several other people have indicated the same. Don't forget that a lot of people won't even know about it or aren't comfortable installing mods, plus the team will be adding more features (like deathmatch). If Valve were to promote it on the frontpage then I'm sure it would get plenty of purchases.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

35. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 18:23 bigspender

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

34. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 17:08 Parias

ItBurn wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 16:59:
If I was going to tell someone to play Half-Life for the first time, this is what I'd give him. The old game just doesn't hold up to our modern sensibilities.

Unless you enjoy it to the vocals of Freeman's Mind.

33. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 16:59 ItBurn

Wow, so many negative comments about this "remake". It's amazing work. Incredibly faithful to the original, but just better. I wasn't aware that they shortened sections, but I can't see this as a bad thing because I found the remake kinda long already...

If I was going to tell someone to play Half-Life for the first time, this is what I'd give him. The old game just doesn't hold up to our modern sensibilities.

32. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 16:32 Beamer

Wesp5 wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 15:50:
BicycleRepairMan wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 13:24:
Yeah, thanks nothing (except making the original game, it's sequel, TFC, TF2, L4D, DOTA 2, DoD Source, Portal, CS

Yeah, check all these "Valve games" out. Except for HL and HL2 they are all only well known mods or university projects gone commercial!

How to tell someone isn't thinking: they make this argument.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 16:14 jimnms

Prez wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 13:03:
I never tried the Black Mesa mod because I wanted to wait for the remade Xen portion but it looks like the free version of that is never coming now. Oh well, the whole package will be able to be had for a pittance on a Steam sale sometime in the future - I'll wait til then I guess.

I didn't mind that they released it without the Xen levels. I don't know how many times I've played the original HL, but after the first time in the original and once more in HL:S, I've always stopped playing when I reach Xen.

Steam Profile

30. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 16:05 Mad Max RW

Wesp5 wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 15:50:
After all Steam gets a share of everything sold, not only the BM guys, so for Valve it's just money for nothing!

I don't think all the servers keeping things running are free...

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2013, 15:57 Rigs

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 15:07:
Ryan Lange wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 13:30:
Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 10:53:
Whilst super for them, it means sweet FA to me and many others who really wanted to see HL3 instead of a remake of a 15 year old game we can all play blindfolded made with an outdated engine - and they're charging for it. Knock yourself out however.

I'm not here frequently, but I don't think I've ever seen you say anything positive that wasn't immediately overshadowed by a really negative comment. You're just a big bag of hate, aren't you?

He's Canadian.

+1 internets! Highfive

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

28. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 15:51 Yosemite Sam

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 12:23:
I wasn't really impressed with Black Mesa. The part outside where you fight a horde of aliens and soldiers was utterly compressed into basically two small rooms, they shortened the railroad section by a LOT, and there were a few other sections where they shortened stuff, which just felt annoying.

Overall when I played it, I just kept thinking "You know, this would have been really cool if I could've played it in 2006."

I think it's amazing that they made it, and persevered with it for so long, and I hope it helps them get a job in the gaming industry if they want, but I wouldn't pay for a commercial release.

They did a really good job on it, right up until on a rail, then it kind of went off the rail. Not to say the quality of the later levels wasn't done well, and some of them were fantastic... but they somehow broke the flow and feeling of the game with their re-imagining of the later levels. BM did not have the same transition from the army hunting you, to the army fighting you and aliens, to the army getting slaughtered until they finally bail and leave you fighting the invaders alone.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

27. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 15:50 Wesp5

BicycleRepairMan wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 13:24:
Yeah, thanks nothing (except making the original game, it's sequel, TFC, TF2, L4D, DOTA 2, DoD Source, Portal, CS

Yeah, check all these "Valve games" out. Except for HL and HL2 they are all only well known mods or university projects gone commercial! After they just recently released CS for a third time, nobody should have been surprised that Valve would try to make some money out of a free-for-them HL1 remake. After all Steam gets a share of everything sold, not only the BM guys, so for Valve it's just money for nothing!

...and all that other crap also except creating steam and giving indie devs a fair deal to promote their games...

Yeah, because there wasn't something like the IndieDB and Desura which they probably try to kill off right now!

Yes valve thanks for nothing, because you dont release a new half-life game every year like the really cool companies like EA and activision, we could have had Halflife1,2,3...

Yeah, why didn't they release the frequent "episodes" they promised? Maybe because they figured that pimping mods up and earning from other developers publishing their work on Steam is good enough!

26. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 15:07 Agent.X7

Whilst super for them, it means sweet FA to me and many others who really wanted to see HL3 instead of a remake of a 15 year old game we can all play blindfolded made with an outdated engine - and they're charging for it. Knock yourself out however.

I'm not here frequently, but I don't think I've ever seen you say anything positive that wasn't immediately overshadowed by a really negative comment. You're just a big bag of hate, aren't you?

He's Canadian.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

25. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 14:32 Silicon Avatar

I imagine him yelling like the Angry Video Game Nerd and it gets a lot funnier.

Buffalo diarrhea shit-cake ASS.

ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Asssssssss far as the mod goes, it's cool that they might get some money out of it but I will probably pass. I played so much Half Life and HL2 back when they were popular that I still sort of feel burned out, even with new graphics.

24. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 13:37 Ryan Lange

Fantaz wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 13:34:
that "the 15th anniversary" link does not work

There's an extra "/s/" in the link. This one works: http://www.bluesnews.com/s/146850/half-life-anniversary

23. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 13:34 Fantaz

that "the 15th anniversary" link does not work  

22. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 13:33 wtf_man

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 12:45:
I couldn't care less that it's an "artistic interpretation" when the result is as good as Black Mesa. It's incredibly faithful to the original and most of the changes are for the better.

The unfinished version is still better than any game in the COD or Crysis series, which is impressive given that we're talking about a group of amateurs.

While I won't disagree about it being better than COD or Crysis... I guess this is one of the few games that I prefer to remain a "purist" on.

21. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 13:30 Ryan Lange

20. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 13:29 Verno

Also that whole Steam thing he keeps using, darn those Valve guys never give us anything!  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

19. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 13:24 BicycleRepairMan

Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 10:21:
Thanks for nothing - literally - Valve.
Yeah, thanks nothing (except making the original game, it's sequel, TFC, TF2, L4D, DOTA 2, DoD Source, Portal, CS and all that other crap also except creating steam and giving indie devs a fair deal to promote their games next to all the big titles on the dominant DDS for games, and recognizing the BM teams hard work, by letting them make money off your IP instead of suing their asses.)

Yes valve thanks for nothing, because you dont release a new half-life game every year like the really cool companies like EA and activision, we could have had Halflife1,2,3, HL:modern warfare,HL:Modern Warfare2, HL:Black ops 1 and 2, and HL:Ghosts, including, naturally costly DLCs for every title, which would be basically the same game every year. Why aren't you a cool company that does this?

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo