Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Today marks the North American release of the Windows PC edition of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, the latest installment in Ubisoft's stealthy action series. Owners of NVIDIA graphics cards will want to note the new drivers that are optimized for the game on their systems. Here's a reminder on what this is from the game's official website:

Assassinís Creed IV Black Flag begins in 1715, when pirates established a lawless republic in the Caribbean and ruled the land and seas. These outlaws paralyzed navies, halted international trade, and plundered vast fortunes. They threatened the power structures that ruled Europe, inspired the imaginations of millions, and left a legacy that still endures.

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

56. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 24, 2013, 00:17 Creston

Redmask wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 18:43:
Creston wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:48:
Has anyone figured out where you can sell the loot you get from chests? The emeralds and figurines etc? I can't even find where it's supposed to show up in my inventory...

That stuff is automatically converted to Reales, it's just flavor.

That's what I thought, but the numbers don't seem to add up. I'll have 1000 Reales, find +231, Emerald (+100) , and wind up with 1231 Reales.

Maybe it's just broken or something. Ah well. Thanks anyway

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 23, 2013, 18:43 Redmask

Creston wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:48:
Has anyone figured out where you can sell the loot you get from chests? The emeralds and figurines etc? I can't even find where it's supposed to show up in my inventory...

That stuff is automatically converted to Reales, it's just flavor.

54. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 23, 2013, 12:48 Creston

53. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 22, 2013, 21:10 siapnar

Redmask wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 21:13:
You can turn off everything HUD related in the options, that's such a poor complaint. The combat is significantly more challenging in AC4 if you do so too, you will not receive counter signs, see your health and enemies attack much more quickly in general. The previous games were balanced poorly, I feel like they finally hit their stride with it here. If you leave all of the games training wheels turned on then you shouldn't be surprised when its easy. Turn it off and you will be challenged. This game is more like a modern version of Pirates, there are some annoyances from previous AC games but they are tolerable for what we get in exchange.
Hadn't seen anything for it in previous games, but I really didn't spend much time with them.

AC4 sounds awesome, though, thanks for the insight

I have projectile dysfunction.

52. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 22, 2013, 09:40 SpectralMeat

Verno wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 09:34:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 09:10:
FFS I do not have any more time/money to spend on games, stop talking about this already!

Are you still playing BF4? I picked it up and need some peeps to play with since my friends are on a "we hate EA" kick at the moment.
I have BF4 but XCOM just keeps me way too entertained atm. Loaded it up last night looked at the server browser and shut it down went back to playing XCOM

Steam: SpectralMeat

51. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 22, 2013, 09:34 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 09:10:
FFS I do not have any more time/money to spend on games, stop talking about this already!

Are you still playing BF4? I picked it up and need some peeps to play with since my friends are on a "we hate EA" kick at the moment.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

50. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 22, 2013, 09:10 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

49. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 22, 2013, 09:05 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 02:02:
I'm absolutely LOVING Black Flag. Even the assassin bits are good, Havana was beautiful and just fun to explore, but the sea stuff is so fucking awesome. The sheer size of Spanish Galleons is staggering, and that you can just jump off your own ship and board one across the masts etc is something that needs to be seen to be believed just how cool it is.

Best AC game yet, imo. It even beats out AC2, and I absolutely love AC2.

Yeah they really did well, I have some complaints about the late game balance and the old creaky bits from previous games (tailing/eavesdrop missions are NEVER fun) but overall they knocked it out of the park.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

48. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 22, 2013, 02:02 Creston

I'm absolutely LOVING Black Flag. Even the assassin bits are good, Havana was beautiful and just fun to explore, but the sea stuff is so fucking awesome. The sheer size of Spanish Galleons is staggering, and that you can just jump off your own ship and board one across the masts etc is something that needs to be seen to be believed just how cool it is.

Best AC game yet, imo. It even beats out AC2, and I absolutely love AC2.

47. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 21, 2013, 18:24 Quinn

Fuck me that naval gameplay is just so good.

They should've just made a new frenchise, a pirate frenchise, and get rid of that AC shit. My monitor got consumed by the tidal wave of acid spewing from my mouth when the graphics got all futuristic on me and I was back in this immersion raping future corporate bullshit world.

Seriously, would the franchise have been ANY LESS SUCCESFUL if they ditched the animus nonsense from the get-go? It adds absolutely nothing, fucking nada.

Just give me a game where I'm a goddamned pirate, exploring the sea. Hell, you can even throw in some zombies. Just not that fucking animus crap...

Going to bed. Nn.

Edit/Add: Truly, it is like the devs sat around the table thinking "how can we break the immersion deliberately and make it contextual?". The guy who lifted his hand sheepishly, suggesting a futuristic DNA-memory-reading machine...! *mumbles incoherently as he turns off his night light and tries to sleep*

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 21, 2013, 03:14 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 15:02:
Verno wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 13:57:
I can't really tell the difference between the PC and PS4 versions from 9 feet away to be honest but hey its a great game for any platform. I think they did a good job porting it, I didn't really notice any frame spiking outside of the in-engine cutscenes.

Well, of course you're not going to see it from 9 feet away. I'm not saying the PS4 version looks bad or anything, it looks great. But the PC version definitely looks better if you put them side by side (or put youtube videos side by side.)

So to expect the PC to just have rock solid 60fps because "it's a console port" is.... well anyway.

The cutscenes are where it goes to 40ish fps for me. Most everything outside of it is in the 50s.

Youtube videos aren't really useful for comparing image quality due to all the video compression and capped framerate. When I judge AC4's performance, I judge it based on the performance of similar-looking PC games (like FC3). While AC4 has nice graphics (I'd argue that it's about on par with FC3), it certainly doesn't warrant any drops below 60 on a decent PC.

45. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 20, 2013, 23:58 Creston

Redmask wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 21:13:
You can turn off everything HUD related in the options, that's such a poor complaint.

So here's the funny thing. I tried to turn one particular feature of the HUD off: the "Go to the Wheel! Go to Havana! Follow Stede Bonnet! Bang a Hooker in a Threeway!" notices that are basically plunked in the middle of the screen and keep telling you what to do.

So I can't find it. So finally I turn EVERYTHING off, and everything disappears... EXCEPT THAT FUCKING MESSAGE. Someone please tell me that there's a way to turn that fucking thing off? Or that it'll at least go away in later chapters or something...

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 20, 2013, 21:13 Redmask

You can turn off everything HUD related in the options, that's such a poor complaint. The combat is significantly more challenging in AC4 if you do so too, you will not receive counter signs, see your health and enemies attack much more quickly in general. The previous games were balanced poorly, I feel like they finally hit their stride with it here. If you leave all of the games training wheels turned on then you shouldn't be surprised when its easy. Turn it off and you will be challenged. This game is more like a modern version of Pirates, there are some annoyances from previous AC games but they are tolerable for what we get in exchange.

A real beef is that stealth is so rudimentary, it doesn't even have proper sound detection. The Jackdaw is a great addition and I love playing pirate but they needed better late game ships to challenge you more once you have upgrades.

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 20, 2013, 19:27 siapnar

Quinn wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 14:37:
the melee combat... The forever immersion-breaking white logos sprinkled all over your compass and display... Even the same freaking sounds I've heard since silly Altair took up the blade.. They make the acid in my stumach sputter.
These are essentially the reasons I couldn't get into the AC franchise. The combat is automatic, and the immersion-shattering futuristic looking highlights on the HUD and highlighted enemies infuriate me.

AC4 does look very cool, still. I also said that about AC3, though, and despite it's gorgeous graphics and production values, I found it boring.

I have projectile dysfunction.

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 20, 2013, 18:36 Creston

Orogogus wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 15:09:
Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 14:59:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 14:35:
If there are multiple gamebreaking bugs and the campaign bugs out, it seems to me that it's more likely that the game was pushed out the door, bugs notwithstanding. The alternative is that the testers aren't even playing the game.

With a 7 year development cycle, and the 'beta' getting in the hands of the level 5 guys over a year ago, I'm going to guess that "pushed out the door" is probably not what happened.

No? Games can languish in development hell and still release as buggy messes. It's not a matter of time; it's a matter of whether it's done or not. X:R is clearly not done. Either they knew the game didn't meet release quality and released it anyway -- pushed out the door -- or they were genuinely blindsided by campaign stopping bugs, trading failing all the time, most people unable to get through the tutorial, etc., because their none of their testers brought these issues to light. It's somewhat hard to believe the latter scenario when the game isn't even fun to play in its current state.

That's subjective, but the "The testers don't do shit except just play the game early!" debate has been running on Egosoft's forum since the days of X2. I level 5'ed myself for just a short while, until I realized that the level 5, supposed 'bug hunting' forum, was mostly just guys feeling better than everyone else because they were 'the testers.'

Who didn't do shit. The number of guys who actually hunted and reported bugs could be counted on one hand.

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 20, 2013, 15:09 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 14:59:
If there are multiple gamebreaking bugs and the campaign bugs out, it seems to me that it's more likely that the game was pushed out the door, bugs notwithstanding. The alternative is that the testers aren't even playing the game.

With a 7 year development cycle, and the 'beta' getting in the hands of the level 5 guys over a year ago, I'm going to guess that "pushed out the door" is probably not what happened.

No? Games can languish in development hell and still release as buggy messes. It's not a matter of time; it's a matter of whether it's done or not. X:R is clearly not done. Either they knew the game didn't meet release quality and released it anyway -- pushed out the door -- or they were genuinely blindsided by campaign stopping bugs, trading failing all the time, most people unable to get through the tutorial, etc., because their none of their testers brought these issues to light. It's somewhat hard to believe the latter scenario when the game isn't even fun to play in its current state.

40. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 20, 2013, 15:02 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 13:57:
I can't really tell the difference between the PC and PS4 versions from 9 feet away to be honest but hey its a great game for any platform. I think they did a good job porting it, I didn't really notice any frame spiking outside of the in-engine cutscenes.

Well, of course you're not going to see it from 9 feet away. I'm not saying the PS4 version looks bad or anything, it looks great. But the PC version definitely looks better if you put them side by side (or put youtube videos side by side.)

So to expect the PC to just have rock solid 60fps because "it's a console port" is.... well anyway.

The cutscenes are where it goes to 40ish fps for me. Most everything outside of it is in the 50s.

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 20, 2013, 14:59 Creston

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 20, 2013, 14:37 Quinn

No idea why I have to keep reminding myself that I'm beyond done with the frenchise and its boring as fuck-arse gameplay. True, the naval stuff is absolutely fantastic but the melee combat... The forever immersion-breaking white logos sprinkled all over your compass and display... Even the same freaking sounds I've heard since silly Altair took up the blade.. They make the acid in my stumach sputter.

The last 2 hours I've been playing I just rushed from main objective A to B to C ignoring all the meaningless side-objectives and other "POI's" because they are, indeed, meaningless. I never play with this little soul.

But those naval missions are glorious I'm sure.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 20, 2013, 14:35 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 12:29:
(they've at least identified, or think they have, the issue with the terrible performance, once again proving that the level 5 'testers' don't test for fucking shit and instead just play the game)

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo