Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Legal Briefs

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2013, 09:22 Verno

Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 21:24:
Why is it a poor example? I've never understood this pig-headed no-negotiation bullshit. If I'm ever taken captive your fuckin' A I want my government to negotiate. Want to gamble with someone elses life that's their business. Just don't do it with mine.

It's a poor example because CryptoLocker is an annoying piece of shit malware and we really don't want to encourage more of it, not a life threatening hostage situation. Do you negotiate with the guy who robbed your apartment and has your TV? Sheesh.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2013, 08:24 Quboid

I'm generalising here, but bad guys tend think they're going to get away with it. If they see someone else receive a tasty ransom but then get caught, they're going to try the same thing but with a different escape plan. If there's no payout in the first place, it's a lot less enticing to even try.

I think "crime is going to occur regardless" is a logical fallacy. Yes, of course crime is still going to occur. Not negotiating with terrorists/kidnappers/whatever isn't going to stop crime, or stop those specific crimes. The idea is to reduce the number of these crimes, not stop them all together.

Not paying a ransom is gambling one citizen's life. Paying a ransom is gambling _all_ your citizens' lives.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2013, 08:31.

- Quboid

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2013, 00:36 Cutter

And crime is going to occur regardless. However, I don't think it's the government's place to gamble with their citizen's lives. Pay it, then offer a bigger reward to ever tracks them down and brings them in dead or alive.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 19, 2013, 22:15 HorrorScope

ViRGE wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 21:53:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 21:40:
ViRGE wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 21:36:
Because if there's a payout, it encourages other criminals to setup the same racket. The only way to keep that kind of crime at bay is to make sure it doesn't pay.

As if you paid it off they stop going after the bad guy? No it isn't over by a long shot.
The bad guy is in Russia. Or China. Or Nigeria. They're untouchable.

Fair enough, but they aren't always international. But that is why you don't deal with the commies!!!

4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 19, 2013, 21:53 ViRGE

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 21:40:
Because if there's a payout, it encourages other criminals to setup the same racket. The only way to keep that kind of crime at bay is to make sure it doesn't pay.

As if you paid it off they stop going after the bad guy? No it isn't over by a long shot.
The bad guy is in Russia. Or China. Or Nigeria. They're untouchable.

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 19, 2013, 21:40 HorrorScope

2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 19, 2013, 21:36 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 21:24:
Why is it a poor example? I've never understood this pig-headed no-negotiation bullshit. If I'm ever taken captive your fuckin' A I want my government to negotiate. Want to gamble with someone elses life that's their business. Just don't do it with mine.

1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 19, 2013, 21:24 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo