Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans

The EGOSOFT Forums have a follow-up to the recent release of X Rebirth, the new installment in their space combat series (thanks IncGamers). The post reflects the mixed reaction the game has met with, as players are both delighted by what the game offers and frustrated by technical issues. EGOSOFT's Bernd Lehahn outlines the problems they are currently working on, and expresses their unhappiness with the bugs amid their pleasure at the success of the release:

First, I would like to apologise to those of you who have had technical problems. I have started a thread in the Steam forums where I have listed the most common errors and have now collected a lot of information about this. All of this will of course be made available here in our support forum as soon as our server is able to remain stable under the load.

Secondly, I would like to say how amazed we all are here by the huge success of the game. Number one on Steam for several days in a row at this time of year when the big hitters come out... wow, we never expected that. It's crazy to see that more than 10,000 people are playing our game at any one time on Steam (even more if you include those who are in offline mode). Madness!

Great though it is to see that the game is so successful and that many people are having a lot of fun with it, it pains me to see every case where the game causes problems. Sorry folks, I can only apologise for that.

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

63. Re: First actual reviews... Nov 19, 2013, 23:08 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 18:30:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 16:08:
rate it 20/100 and 38/100

Wow Honesty in reviews?

Egosoft doesn't have the money to buy good review scores, like for example EA did with SimCity.

Don't remind me of that game please... I am still not over it! Every few months I start it up to see if anything has changed.. and.. NOPE. It's still fundamentally flawed.. sigh

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

62. Re: First actual reviews... Nov 19, 2013, 18:30 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 16:08:

Wow Honesty in reviews?

Egosoft doesn't have the money to buy good review scores, like for example EA did with SimCity.

61. First actual reviews... Nov 19, 2013, 16:08 eRe4s3r

Wow Honesty in reviews? What's the world come to! I think now we know why there was not a single review copy given to anyone.

60. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 19, 2013, 14:26 eRe4s3r

Slashman wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 08:58:
Quboid wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 20:11:
What's the latest X3, is it Albion Prelude? (Edit: seems AP is the newest but it needs TC; 20 for the pack - nope.) Is there an all-in-one mod for that which you guys recommend?

The mod list (thanks SpectralMeat, Taskeen) is interesting. It's encouraging that there's already these fixes, even if many of them should have been in the game from the start.

Get X3 Albion Prelude and install the XRM mod. I think it is the definitive X3 all in one mod. Makes a lot of sensible changes and adds some challenge where needed. Including some graphics tweaks and lots of new ships to play around with.

All this talk made me install it again as well. Not just XRM, but also various scripts (MARS, NPC Bail Script, Cheat Script and "OK Trader")

X3 AP + XRM is simply the better game imo. Using cheat script to give my ships faster speeds and circumvent one of the XRM limitations (Docking computer is XXL size)

59. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 19, 2013, 10:48 netnerd85

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 18:22:
netnerd85 wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 12:51:
Rather watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5A2i9crQGM
Than read these comments...

Perhaps you should watch EP 8 and 9 so you can hear him start bitching as the 'shiny' starts to where off and the game mechanics start to sink in.

I do like the new way the universe is setup, jump gates to stars then highways to move around those systems... but only 4 star systems? X universe shrank considerably. Though I guess the new setup does allow for 'star systems' to be tacked onto the game, and given EGs track record that's not just a way to milk DLC.

Ship is disappointing to say the least, got the impression you would be able to move around it freely but it's just a cut scene... I'd rather be able to pick and fly whatever ship I wan't. Imagine X3, with XR systems, cap ships and stations, damn that would have been sweet. Well maybe in a year or two, or their next game.
Ah yes, he didn't have those when I watched the 7th.

I will keep watching his progress.

58. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 19, 2013, 10:18 SpectralMeat

Thanks Creston  

Steam: SpectralMeat

57. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 19, 2013, 10:15 Creston

gray wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 09:03:
Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 15:41:
I can't argue about AP, but TC was a giant clusterfuck as well. I actually wrote a guide to the Terran Plot because so many people were getting stuck in it at the time. There were dozens of ways that entire campaign could break.

So yeah, the bugs are just Egosoft as usual. The stupid gameplay design decision, however....

I actually used this the other day after finally picking up TC/AP in a previous sale (I had 100s of hrs on X3), thanks Creston

Completing the plots feels more like acting out a play, you have to do exactly what they intended you to do otherwise it all goes horribly wrong.

Hahaha, I never thought of it that way. And you're welcome.

Btw, I got a reply from Egosoft to my performance testing:

the performance issue is not dependend on the GPU currently, there is a cueing issue in the engine that makes the renderer awit too long. We are working on it and will provide a performance patch later this week.

So at least they think they've figured the performance issue out.

Another patch this morning, 3rd one so far. *fingers crossed*

56. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 19, 2013, 09:03 gray

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 15:41:
I can't argue about AP, but TC was a giant clusterfuck as well. I actually wrote a guide to the Terran Plot because so many people were getting stuck in it at the time. There were dozens of ways that entire campaign could break.

So yeah, the bugs are just Egosoft as usual. The stupid gameplay design decision, however....

I actually used this the other day after finally picking up TC/AP in a previous sale (I had 100s of hrs on X3), thanks Creston

Completing the plots feels more like acting out a play, you have to do exactly what they intended you to do otherwise it all goes horribly wrong.

55. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 19, 2013, 08:58 Slashman

What's the latest X3, is it Albion Prelude? (Edit: seems AP is the newest but it needs TC; 20 for the pack - nope.) Is there an all-in-one mod for that which you guys recommend?

The mod list (thanks SpectralMeat, Taskeen) is interesting. It's encouraging that there's already these fixes, even if many of them should have been in the game from the start.

Get X3 Albion Prelude and install the XRM mod. I think it is the definitive X3 all in one mod. Makes a lot of sensible changes and adds some challenge where needed. Including some graphics tweaks and lots of new ships to play around with.

54. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 19, 2013, 08:38 Frags4Fun

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 01:48:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 00:02:
I'd seen this somewhere. This was actually one of the things I was really looking forward to in X:R since X3TC was so CPU bound. Didn't they have a developer vid or something talking about how multithreaded it was?

It's actually using four cores pretty well, but there's a (really technical) thread on the Egosoft support forum where certain (really technical) guys suspect there's a Thread Sync issue in the engine which is causing the massive slowdowns people with high-end rigs are seeing.

They've done a lot of testing (with screenshots) to show it using four cores at around 70% or so.

So yeah, it is fortunately multi-threaded, finally. And now it runs ten times slower than TC ever did.

This bums me out. I really want to play this game but it's a slideshow most of the time even after trying all the usual tweaks and such. Nothing helps. Can't wait to actually get to play.

53. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 19, 2013, 01:48 Creston

AngelicPenguin wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 00:02:
I'd seen this somewhere. This was actually one of the things I was really looking forward to in X:R since X3TC was so CPU bound. Didn't they have a developer vid or something talking about how multithreaded it was?

It's actually using four cores pretty well, but there's a (really technical) thread on the Egosoft support forum where certain (really technical) guys suspect there's a Thread Sync issue in the engine which is causing the massive slowdowns people with high-end rigs are seeing.

They've done a lot of testing (with screenshots) to show it using four cores at around 70% or so.

So yeah, it is fortunately multi-threaded, finally. And now it runs ten times slower than TC ever did.

52. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 19, 2013, 00:02 AngelicPenguin

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 16:22:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 16:05:
I sit corrected. I don't remember hearing anything particularly negative about TC and picked it up last year on the Steam Big Box o' X sale.

As always, they fixed the bugs (or at least most of them. The guide I wrote still has people responding to it to this day that they're getting stuck somewhere.)

Like I said, the design decisions are just a more clear and recent example of Egosoft's grasp exceeding their reach. They've got great ideas and great artists, to be sure, but damn do their systems coders need more experience or to be lead by someone with complex, hierarchical systems experience.

Yeah, absolutely. I think getting a coder who understands how to program something to run on multiple threads might be a good start, since it's kinda doubtful Rebirth actually does that...

51. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 22:02 SpectralMeat

Quboid wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 21:43:
"Sorry, this item is not available in your region."
Wait until next week the Steam Fall sale should start up.
Also search for "X3: Terran War Pack" on that site the one I've linked to was the NA version I did not realize, not sure if the EU version is on there as well or not, it doesn't show up for me.

50. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 21:43 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 21:36:
What's the latest X3, is it Albion Prelude? (Edit: seems AP is the newest but it needs TC; 20 for the pack - nope.)
It comes up as $10CDN for me for the pack, not sure how much it shows if you are in EU
http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W4942

Also be sure to check out some guide vids before you buy it, much different from Rebirth.
I am watching this guide right now: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBBF0B9059849696

"Sorry, this item is not available in your region."

- Quboid

49. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 21:36 SpectralMeat

What's the latest X3, is it Albion Prelude? (Edit: seems AP is the newest but it needs TC; 20 for the pack - nope.)
It comes up as $10CDN for me for the pack, not sure how much it shows if you are in EU
http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W4942

Also be sure to check out some guide vids before you buy it, much different from Rebirth.
I am watching this guide right now: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBBF0B9059849696

48. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 21:11 Yosemite Sam

What's the latest X3, is it Albion Prelude? Is there an all-in-one mod for that which you guys recommend?

Been a long time since I surfed X3 MODS. I didn't do an 'all in one' though I'm sure they exist. If you pick and choose make sure to grab the ES official or ES approved scripts. I think those are all I used plus the cockpit MOD.

Best advice I can give is to research what MODs you wan't first, don't start a game then look for MODs as some require a fresh start, which sucks if you've got a lot of time already invested in the game... and yes AP is the latest.

PS don't know if it was upgraded in AP but be aware if you start as a Terran getting their economy going can be tough, you can't jump from inside Terran space and they use unique weapons so arming ships is a bitch. Positive side of playing as Terran (at least in TC) is their sectors are totally safe... well except for the fact that your AI ships will suicide into stations if you are in sector.

EDIT and forgot, AFAIK, Terran ships and weapons are the most powerful in the game.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2013, 21:24.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

47. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 20:11 Quboid

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2013, 20:59.

- Quboid

46. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 20:04 SpectralMeat

mods:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349319

45. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 19:11 WyldKat

Patch 1.13 has actually increased my FPS by a noticeable amount, despite not having any documented optimizations.

Also I have to recommend http://xrebirth.nexusmods.com//?

There are several mods already up to fix some annoying issues with the game as well as a VERY cool mod that is adding advanced capship orders.

44. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 18:43 Creston

Overon wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 17:37:
You know, people who made this game number one make me angry. Why? Because you signal companies that you will pay for dog shit and developers/publishers will continue to release unfinished games. Nevermind the technical issues, the game has design issues that are unlikely ever to be addressed. You have an irrational confidence.

1) As has been said a thousand times before, Egosoft games are very buggy on release. Small dev, no QA, etc. You either accept that, or you wait a few months after release before picking it up. Typically the game is playable, but there are some showstoppers, or parts of the campaign are broken, etc. They usually fix those extremely quickly. (Well within a few weeks), and until that time you can always just enjoy yourself by flying around, capping ships, etc.

2) This is the 7th iteration of the X series. Now, originally it wasn't going to be an X game, and they just kept the name X for the lore, but even so, going into an Egosoft game, you expect certain features to be there. Even more so, going into a space game, you expect certain features to be there. Like an actual outside camera view. Or the ability to fucking TARGET AN ENEMY.

That these things aren't in the game is a surprise to literally every single Egosoft fan.

So I'm not sure what that has to do with an irrational confidence. They've literally never let anyone down yet, and then all of a sudden they do this. And people were supposed to see that coming?

It's like if you're a fan of the London Symphony Orchestra, and the 15th time you go see them live, they've suddenly turned into a fucking grunge band. Should people have seen that coming as well?

For 10+ years they've been making games that I've absolutely loved, and now suddenly they turn retarded. I'll know better to pre-order their next game, but it's stupid to think that everyone could have seen this coming.

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo