Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 4 TMed

Bethesda Softworks has registered a trademark for Fallout 4 with the "Office for the Harmonization of the Internal Market." The filing can be viewed on this page showing it scientific instruments, fire-extinguishing apparatus, and a host of other things, including computer software. This related on The Vault, where they note that Bethesda made a similar filing for Fallout; New Vegas approximately four months before officially announcing that installment in the post-apocalyptic RPG series. Thanks No Mutants Allowed.

View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

68. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 20:49 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 12:46:
I haven't seen a decent combat engine in Gamebyro yet is my problem. The stiff animations and terrible feedback don't help either.

Have you played Divinity 2? I thought is had a great action combat model.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

67. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 19:09 Taskeen

NV was basically Obsidian making due with the Gamebryo engine as best they could. I think they did so greatly, even though that engine is really, really unsuited for the original 'tactical' nature of combat itself from the original fallout games.

Being able to choose how combat played out was the big winner for from the original games - I loved the pause tactical turn-based style for strategizing what my dude and my followers were going to do. Trying to do that in FO3 is a PAIN in the ass, since Elder Scrolls/Gamebryo is also totally unsuited for that type of game-play with followers.

And like what was said in these comments Todd Howard is definitely a Dude Bro. "Dude Bro Fallout FPS? Dudebro!"

If FO4 is made by Obsidian, then cool-beans - but purely by Bethesda, no thanks - I would rather buy "Bethesda FO4" when its 10 bucks on a steam sale .

If they want to surprise us and try something different, then by all means. But Todd Howard being a Dude Bro and saying the game shouldn't have choices in game styles is a huge let down for me - like a top-down tactical/pause view along WITH a choice for first person pseudo real-time, like say... Dragon Age (Tactical/Pause and/or 3PV Real-Time/Pause).

And I think someone made a comment about Witcher should be skyrim like open-world, hopefully you have been following Witcher 3, because that's exactly whats its touted to be like.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2013, 19:14.

66. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 16:14 Mad Max RW

Jeez, I forgot how many more quests Obsidian packed into New Vegas compared to Bethesda's Fallout 3.

Also in possibly related news, an overly friendly email exchange with a Bethesda Technical Support guy. It probably means nothing, but I have to give the guy credit for being so nice. He must get countless emails every day asking about Fallout 4.

65. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 14:37 Silicon Avatar

I'm ok with Gamebryo. I like what it turned into when it got upgraded for Skyrim. With mods, Skyrim is gorgeous.

I just want to be able to run a Fallout game without having to load a bunch of weird side hacks to get all my texture packs going.

I really enjoy the sandbox style Bethesda has. Between that and mods their games last me years where some other games barely last 2 months.

64. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 12:46 Verno

I haven't seen a decent combat engine in Gamebyro yet is my problem. The stiff animations and terrible feedback don't help either.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

63. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 12:12 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:55:
I'm not a huge fan of Gamebryo, but it worked a thousand times better in Skyrim than it's done in every other game they've made with it.

This. To me it was Bethesda bugs and not Gamebryo, corrupting saves on their end being one of the biggies. Divinity 2 used Gamebryo, another fine game, large area's, it didn't crash, it ran great once you tweaked the in-game setting correctly.

But they figured it out and what I find a little funny, if my mind serves me correct, two biggies came first from the community and they took that and put it into their engine via a patch. I expect FO4 to come out of the gates smoking because of their advancements with Skyrim.

So if the bugs/crashes didn't exist the whole time... what is all bad with Gamebryo? Very few games have the massive landscape. Very respectable output with great performance. Modding to the likes of no other. Branching tree quests/schedules to the likes of no other. It was the crashes that gave it the bad name and to me I think that was more on Bethesda than the game engine itself.

62. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 11:56 Creston

Frags4Fun wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 09:04:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 11:30:
Fallout with Skyrim engine and Steam Workshop? TAKE MY KIDNEYS!

I've been wanting the same thing, minus the loss of kidneys.

Come on! Suffer for your hobby!

61. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 11:55 Creston

InBlack wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 03:34:
(Not to mention the fact that Todd turned out to be a lying prick when he said that Skyrim's engine was built from scratch)

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the renderer, and not EVERYTHING.

Here's the thing, I'm sure they could just go to a new engine if they wanted, but then all the modders have to completely rebuild their tools and relearn everything. Since the modding scene for the Elder Scrolls games is so flipping huge, why would Bethesda turn their backs on them?

I'm not a huge fan of Gamebryo, but it worked a thousand times better in Skyrim than it's done in every other game they've made with it. My last playthrough, with 50ish mods, I had a grand total of 2 crashes in 50 hours.

There were times in Oblivion where I'd crash every 10 minutes.

60. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 11:53 Creston

shihonage wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 02:21:
Skyrim still looks quite mediocre compared to its contemporaries, nevermind the best offerings on the market. It's a road of diminishing returns.

Yet it keeps selling more and more copies. I'm not sure Bethesda really cares.

59. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 10:33 HorrorScope

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 01:16:
Vegas had better writing, but not a whole hell of a lot to do outside of the main plot.

That is where it rips right down the gaming community. Imo if you are driven by story, you like FONV. If you are driven by more sandbox and just a more massive area to roam, you like FO3. I liked both, I liked FO3 better. I felt isolated enough, that just going building to building, corner to corner, the story of just surviving was enough for me, then add in some interaction to that every so often, perfect.

58. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 10:30 HorrorScope

shihonage wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 02:21:
I can get a sense of a game engine. Skyrim still has load screens for every little hut, just like all their prior Gamebryo games. No real link between indoor and outdoor areas.

The fact that this gaping problem, one which was solved by Tribes in 1998, still exists in their engine, is telling as to how far they can push it overall.

Some engines grow better than others.

Look at COD series. In Modern Warfare 1 (COD4) the Quake3 engine received its last facelift. Every MW game since then looked exactly the same. Ghosts added sunshafts but otherwise looks the same.

Skyrim still looks quite mediocre compared to its contemporaries, nevermind the best offerings on the market. It's a road of diminishing returns.

I do wonder if the enter the building loads will go away with having 5 gigs of memory to work with? The good thing I can say about it today is it is really fast like < 1 second. But I think it really would help immersion having zero loads. We'll have to see how DA3 and Witcher look/work in their open world to see if Bethesda has to up their game. There is a lot of good things that happen in that gamebryo engine that almost no one else has, or to their levels.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2013, 10:39.

57. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2013, 10:26 Shineyguy

Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 09:17:
Frags4Fun wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 09:06:
Rigs wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 12:07:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 11:53:
Maybe that survivor 2299 site isn't fake after all.

thesurvivor2299.com

Is there supposed to be a 24-day countdown on that site?

=-Rigs-=

I'm going to try to translate that Morse Code when I get some time.

It was already translated to 11.12.13. Also the filename references Bridgeport, CT, which I find perfectly fitting if you ever visited that piece of shit city. I would buy the game just to see if the nuked out version of Connecticut is in a better shape than its real life counterpart.

...that's if all of this isn't a big hoax, and it's looking like it is.

Whoah whoah whoah. Hang on there. Those of us that live in Connecticut don't want Bridgeport here any more than you. But to say that all of CT should be nuked...

56. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2013, 10:15 John

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 09:53:
Listen, don't look
There it is! I don't have the sound on here at work so I missed that.

This space is available for rent

55. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2013, 09:53 The Half Elf

Listen, don't look  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

54. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2013, 09:48 John

thesurvivor2299.com

=-Rigs-=

What Morse code? All I see is the countdown..

53. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2013, 09:17 Mad Max RW

thesurvivor2299.com

=-Rigs-=

It was already translated to 11.12.13. Also the filename references Bridgeport, CT, which I find perfectly fitting if you ever visited that piece of shit city. I would buy the game just to see if the nuked out version of Connecticut is in a better shape than its real life counterpart.

...that's if all of this isn't a big hoax, and it's looking like it is.

52. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2013, 09:06 Frags4Fun

thesurvivor2299.com

=-Rigs-=

51. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 09:04 Frags4Fun

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 11:30:
Fallout with Skyrim engine and Steam Workshop? TAKE MY KIDNEYS!

I've been wanting the same thing, minus the loss of kidneys.

50. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 08:52 nin

John wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 08:36:
Asmo wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 22:21:
My Fallout 3 experience:

Played through, game save was corrupted and unrecoverable right outside the final showdown.

My Fallout NV experience:

Played through, game corrupted at the zombie rocket mission (about 60 hours through, I had a lot of mods...), crashing and unrecoverable on top of Hoover Damn near the final fight.
That's why I always have multiple saves when I play RPGs.. I stagger at least 3 saves so if the latest one is corrupt, I can load the previous one and not lose too much play time. I had a similar experience before where I was 50+ hours into a RPG and died, but couldn't reload the save game because it was corrupt. Ever since then I have done multiple saves.

This is also good if the latest save is either in a location you can't get out of or somewhere that you're about to die.. I've had that happen before too. It sucks when you die and reload the last save only to die again without being able to do anything about it!

Seriously, who uses only one save? Its not like we have a space shortage or anything...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

49. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 08:36 John

Asmo wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 22:21:
My Fallout 3 experience:

Played through, game save was corrupted and unrecoverable right outside the final showdown.

My Fallout NV experience:

Played through, game corrupted at the zombie rocket mission (about 60 hours through, I had a lot of mods...), crashing and unrecoverable on top of Hoover Damn near the final fight.
That's why I always have multiple saves when I play RPGs.. I stagger at least 3 saves so if the latest one is corrupt, I can load the previous one and not lose too much play time. I had a similar experience before where I was 50+ hours into a RPG and died, but couldn't reload the save game because it was corrupt. Ever since then I have done multiple saves.

This is also good if the latest save is either in a location you can't get out of or somewhere that you're about to die.. I've had that happen before too. It sucks when you die and reload the last save only to die again without being able to do anything about it!

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo