Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's the list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam last week:

1. X Rebirth
  2. XCOM Enemy Within
  3. Call of Duty: Ghosts
  4. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  5. PAYDAY 2
  6. Football Manager 2014
  7. Kerbal Space Program
  8. State of Decay
  9. BioShock Infinite Season's Pass
  10. Total War: ROME II

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 14:21 Slashman

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 14:03:
Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 14:00:
I really wish they would have made a "reconquer nation" mission to free nations you'd lost.
Yeah that would be great.
I already lost China and looking at the amount of red in the list of Countries without satellites and I am way behind in making uplinks and building satellites I think I will loose a lot more.
Oh well, one more lesson for the next play through. I am enjoying the game a heck of a lot regardless.

It's awesome to get your butt kicked!!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 14:03 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 14:00:
I really wish they would have made a "reconquer nation" mission to free nations you'd lost.
Yeah that would be great.
I already lost China and looking at the amount of red in the list of Countries without satellites and I am way behind in making uplinks and building satellites I think I will loose a lot more.
Oh well, one more lesson for the next play through. I am enjoying the game a heck of a lot regardless.

Steam: SpectralMeat

60. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 14:00 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 13:10:
I am having some panic issues too. Kind of miss managed my resources and did not start building satellite uplinks in time, and I only have a few satellites in the air.
Even countries with satellite above them are panicking, wtf

The entire panic mechanic is just fucking terrible. A satellite doesn't prevent panic from rising, it just lowers the panic by 2, and kind of/sort of makes it so that that country doesn't get abductions anymore if there are more than 3 unguarded countries left. (once you get fewer than 3 countries without satellites, abductions occur wherever, really.)

I always leave one country unprotected by satellite, so I still get the occasional abduction mission, otherwise it's nothing but UFO UFO UFO and that gets boring.

And yeah, especially on classic (and God forbid, Impossible), you NEED to focus 100% on satellites. Every spare dime needs to go into building (power&workshop&uplink)+satellites. You'll never stay ahead of it otherwise, and you'll lose countries left and right.

Not that that's a huge deal, but if you want to save the entire world, that's about what you have to do.

59. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 13:10 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 13:07:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:37:
I believe everyone that got the Enemy Within DLC also got the sling shot dlc automatically or it is part of it or something along those lines.

No, it's still separate, sadly.

Not sure how to verify this either, when I start the game I get the option to start Enemy Unknown or Enemy Within.

I believe it's under advanced options (at the game start) where you can specify if you want the two series of scripted missions, Slingshot being one of them, to run or not. I'd definitely run them because, while they are tough, they are a great source of panic reduction as well.
I'll check that out.
I am having some panic issues too. Kind of miss managed my resources and did not start building satellite uplinks in time, and I only have a few satellites in the air.
Even countries with satellite above them are panicking, wtf

58. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 13:07 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:37:
I believe everyone that got the Enemy Within DLC also got the sling shot dlc automatically or it is part of it or something along those lines.

No, it's still separate, sadly.

Not sure how to verify this either, when I start the game I get the option to start Enemy Unknown or Enemy Within.

I believe it's under advanced options (at the game start) where you can specify if you want the two series of scripted missions, Slingshot being one of them, to run or not. I'd definitely run them because, while they are tough, they are a great source of panic reduction as well.

57. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 11:37 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:33:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:19:
I made the mistake of making 3 heavy laser weapons (they look like mini guns with laser) thinking I can equip my mecs with those. Damn I was wrong.
Do you guys know if there is a way to sell equipment that is made but you are not using it, or is there a way to brake them down to components to get back the alloys?

Sadly, there's no way to sell or undo the creation of items. That's why really you should only build a few of each, and just use the "unequip everyone not on this mission" button. Also, you will get a shitload of equivalent-powered laser weapons from the Exalt missions, so don't invest too heavily in laser.

Also how do you get alloys and other components you need? Only from missions or is there any other way to get them? The black market seems to be for selling goods not to buy anything unless if I am missing something.

UFO missions are really the only way. You get more if you use the EMP cannon to take down the UFO, and don't liberally throw 15 grenade around while it inside it.

The Slingshot DLC actually provides you with like 500+ alloys and Elerium, making worries over it kinda moot. Without the DLC, you do need to be a bit careful where you spend your stuff, as it's pretty easy to wind up without the necessary materials to build the late phase hardware.
Thanks for the pointers.
I am too far in now to make adjustments but will keep these in mind for my next play through.
One of the youtube streamers mentioned it at the beginning of his "let's play"
Maybe it was Total Biscuit I can't remember.

56. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 11:33 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:19:
I made the mistake of making 3 heavy laser weapons (they look like mini guns with laser) thinking I can equip my mecs with those. Damn I was wrong.
Do you guys know if there is a way to sell equipment that is made but you are not using it, or is there a way to brake them down to components to get back the alloys?

Sadly, there's no way to sell or undo the creation of items. That's why really you should only build a few of each, and just use the "unequip everyone not on this mission" button. Also, you will get a shitload of equivalent-powered laser weapons from the Exalt missions, so don't invest too heavily in laser.

Also how do you get alloys and other components you need? Only from missions or is there any other way to get them? The black market seems to be for selling goods not to buy anything unless if I am missing something.

UFO missions are really the only way. You get more if you use the EMP cannon to take down the UFO, and don't liberally throw 15 grenade around while it inside it.

The Slingshot DLC actually provides you with like 500+ alloys and Elerium, making worries over it kinda moot. Without the DLC, you do need to be a bit careful where you spend your stuff, as it's pretty easy to wind up without the necessary materials to build the late phase hardware.

55. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 11:26 J

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:23:
J wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:15:

That explains it!

If they ever add a co-op mode I'm calling dibs on Creston.

Co-op would be pretty awesome , though it's kinda hard to see how it would work in the strategy part...
Do what you like and blame the other person when they get killed?

54. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 11:26 J

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:20:
I've had one that cloaked and stayed invisible for something like 7 or 8 turns before it struck. I'd actually already totally forgotten about the stupid thing. It managed to choke my sniper for a round until I got Speedy McSuperHero (aka my Punchy Mech) back and perforated it with a well place railgun shot.
I was crowded into a room and waiting for it to make a strike, making sure we were all covering each other. The first one struck right away and we took care of that one. The second one came into view several turns later and it was not cloaked.

In multiplayer I know there's a countdown, so I'm thinking there may be one in singleplayer too. It'll become more clear in time.

53. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 11:23 Creston

J wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:15:

That explains it!

Co-op would be pretty awesome , though it's kinda hard to see how it would work in the strategy part...

52. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 11:20 Creston

Renee wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 09:54:
Trying to fine tune which soldier types I want to mech up most, how early I want to do it (mechs are really incredibly expensive. Just a couple fully upgraded can wipe out your whole supply).

Well, that's because a fully upgraded Mech is, in essence, a terminator. I have two, and they have:

29 health. A gun that does mid teens to high teens for crits damage. Area of Effect flamethrowers that panick enemies in a huge cone, for 9 damage. An area of effect pulse bomb that does 5 guaranteed damage to anything caught in it, and stuns enemy mechs for 1 rounds. A never miss 12 damage attack. More range than even my sprinter support guys. Long range grenade launchers. Proximity mine launchers. Their gun can basically function as grenades. Area of effect heals. (!!!!!) A power that lets them return fire to every first enemy that targets them per turn (the amount of kills I've gotten from this power is awesome.)

Oh, I forgot the power that auto-heals them, that gives them +15 defense on overwatch, that allows them to count as full cover for squad mates, etc etc etc.

So yeah, they really should be expensive. A single mech replaces a heavy. Two mechs replace your heavies and medics. You really should never need more than two mechs, to be honest. I wanted to do a 6 mech playthrough, but the amount of Meld farming you'd have to do is ridiculous.

I am getting mowed down in full cover even more than I remember. It makes me lean toward the only good defenses being ghost armor, mimetic skin, or extreme height advantages. So many times I've had the guy with one pip of health I was trying hard to keep alive get strangled while in cover in the rear, and stuff like that.

As soon as you see a Strangler, plop down a battle scanner between it and your squad. The strangler will dumbly walk into it and become easy overwatch fodder.

And someone can be in overwatch and still get strangled without being able to get their shot off? Ouch.

Well, yeah, otherwise it'd be kind of a pointless power. They only have 4 or 5 health, so snipers would just ignore them until they were ready to strike. The Strangler is purely designed to counter the "leave the lone sniper behind" gameplay method.

Solution? Leave two snipers behind. Or just use a battle scanner. (or, of course, use ArchAngel armor and just hover, but that's obviously only a late game solution.)

J wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 09:58:
I believe that they can only cloak for a number of turns though.

I've had one that cloaked and stayed invisible for something like 7 or 8 turns before it struck. I'd actually already totally forgotten about the stupid thing. It managed to choke my sniper for a round until I got Speedy McSuperHero (aka my Punchy Mech) back and perforated it with a well place railgun shot.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2013, 11:36.

51. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 11:19 SpectralMeat

50. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 11:15 J

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:11:
J wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 08:51:
I don't like meld. I grab it where I can, but I don't go out of my way to get it.

There's always one container that's within fairly easy reach, and the other one, eh, if I come across it I'll grab it, but otherwise I just ignore it. And if they blow up, they blow up. You get a lot more meld from major (scripted) missions and big UFOs anyway, so the containers really aren't all that mega-valuable to begin with. They really should give 20 Meld per.

And what's the deal with injuries now? A soldier gets wounded, I heal them up in the field, and when they get back they're wounded or critically wounded. Grr.

A soldier gets wounded if their damage reaches into their personal hitpoint pool, regardless of whether you healed them or not. A squaddie with 6 health and 4 from a Carapace armor will be fine from a 2 damage shot, but be wounded from a 5 damage shot.

That same squaddie in Titan armor, with 10hp, will be fine from a 2 shot, a 5 shot, or even an 8 damage shot, but would be critically wounded (after the mission) if their combined damage was applied.

That explains it!

49. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 11:11 Creston

J wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 08:51:
I don't like meld. I grab it where I can, but I don't go out of my way to get it.

There's always one container that's within fairly easy reach, and the other one, eh, if I come across it I'll grab it, but otherwise I just ignore it. And if they blow up, they blow up. You get a lot more meld from major (scripted) missions and big UFOs anyway, so the containers really aren't all that mega-valuable to begin with. They really should give 20 Meld per.

And what's the deal with injuries now? A soldier gets wounded, I heal them up in the field, and when they get back they're wounded or critically wounded. Grr.

A soldier gets wounded if their damage reaches into their personal hitpoint pool, regardless of whether you healed them or not. A squaddie with 6 health and 4 from a Carapace armor will be fine from a 2 damage shot, but be wounded from a 5 damage shot.

That same squaddie in Titan armor, with 10hp, will be fine from a 2 shot, a 5 shot, or even an 8 damage shot, but would be critically wounded (after the mission) if their combined damage was applied.

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 11:05 Creston

peteham wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 04:56:
sadly, the RNG makes classic completely unplayable for me without massive fits of rage, especially early on. Didn't take me long to revert to normal for this EW playthrough. Fans of the familiar "that's XCOM!"-line are quick to point out that the numbers even out over the course of a game, but I'd argue that me nailing a thin man on a lucky 20% shot once in a while, doesn't even begin to compare with a thin man nailing the sniper major it has taken me 15 missions to build, with an equally lucky 20% shot from across the map. Especially what with snipers being virtually useless, and a pain in the ass to level up, until they unlock squad sight and become instant powerhouses.

I hate the to hit and crit bonuses the aliens get on Classic and Impossible. It makes cover totally pointless. When someone is in full cover, hunkered down, and the alien is 10+ squares away, they shouldn't be able to fucking hit them. That's a 5% shot at best, and yet the aliens will make that shot Every.Single.Fucking.Time.

In essence, Classic and Impossible become a "if you end a turn with a squad member in sight of an alien, that squad member is dead. If you end a turn while aliens are active and within walking distance of a squad member, that squad member is dead."

I don't have any patience for that kinda horseshit. I played Unknown with a mod that disabled those bonuses and it was far more enjoyable on Classic. I still died on Impossible, due to two Mutons going on a fucking rampage and terminating four soldiers in 2 turns. But that just made me giggle, because it was just so "Oh shit... NO! oh crap, not another... NOOOO!!! Okay, next turn, I can still survive this, die Mutons! What? FOUR FUCKING MISSES? Oh God oh God oh God, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" And at least that's Impossible diff, so you know you're being punished.

Classic's diff is fine, but those bonuses need to fucking go.

On the subject of things going wrong, and the addition of MELD, Beaglerush posted this on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlUM4VwLQzI .. I swear, this video cracks me up so hard! The girly scream makes it perfect :D

Beaglerush is awesome. I love his videos.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2013, 11:25.

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 10:08 Renee

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 10:02:
I've made the mistake last night to advance way too far ahead with one of my mec soldier and sure enough I've lost him. It was one of those missions that introduced 2 new enemy types. That mec soldier was 17 missions old with 40+ kills. It really hurt.

Yeah, the game is merciless like that!

Steam ID: Renee

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 10:02 SpectralMeat

And someone can be in overwatch and still get strangled without being able to get their shot off? Ouch.
I don't think the soldier that is getting strangled can do anything even if he is in overwatch.
I usually move my soldiers in a way so one can always cover the other in case one of those cloaked enemies show up.
I've made the mistake last night to advance way too far ahead with one of my mec soldier and sure enough I've lost him.
It was one of those missions that introduced 2 new enemy types.
That mec soldier was 17 missions old with 40+ kills. It really hurt.
Even today I am thinking of reloading an older save and try again to keep that soldier alive.

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 10:01 Slashman

First time playing classic/ironman in EW and it is kicking my ass SO hard.

I don't think I'm gonna make it. But it is fun as hell!!!

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 09:58 J

From my experience so far it seems that the person it's attacking doesn't get a shot, but nearby allies do.

Once it decloaks then there's an opportunity for overwatch fire. If it's killed at this point then nothing happens. If it survives then it strangles its victim.

I presume it's so that you can't have one lone wolf kill it, which would undermine the purpose of its implementation: attacking lone wolf characters such as the sniper (making you want to keep your squad together.)

I believe that they can only cloak for a number of turns though.

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 09:54 Renee

I really agree with the X:EW observations here, from fun factor to Meld complications and the difficulty of classic. There would be a sweet spot for me somewhere between current normal and classic. The early months are even more difficult than I remember, and troops a lot tougher to keep alive.

But I still like the game a lot. I'm playing it with D3 breaks I use to cool off after aliens, through inflicting so much death or injury, block my ability to effectively hold my own, and I need some time to reformulate my early game strategy. I still haven't gotten all the way through a classic campaign yet. Trying to fine tune which soldier types I want to mech up most, how early I want to do it (mechs are really incredibly expensive. Just a couple fully upgraded can wipe out your whole supply).

I am getting mowed down in full cover even more than I remember. It makes me lean toward the only good defenses being ghost armor, mimetic skin, or extreme height advantages. So many times I've had the guy with one pip of health I was trying hard to keep alive get strangled while in cover in the rear, and stuff like that.

Steam ID: Renee

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo