Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Gameplay Trailer

Here's a new trailer offering "a raw, unedited, roughly 10 minute" (actually more like eight minute) gameplay trailer from DayZ, Bohemia Interactive's upcoming standalone game based on the DayZ Arma II modification (thanks The Escapist). Here's word:

Been a while so here is a raw, unedited, roughly 10 minute gameplay video taken after spawning into a multiplayer test today. This is pre-alpha footage, so it makes no effort to mask the variety of bugs. Our whole focus is on getting the alpha out, which means focusing on Multiplayer (server) performance. Enjoy and see you soon!

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 17, 2013, 03:51 Quinn

DangerDog wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 20:52:
Even though this isn't multiplayer focused like DayZ this is what it should look like if it expects to get any attention.

Go check out this early alpha footage of "the forest"

https://teksyndicate.com/news/2013/11/11/forest-extreme-survival-sim

Where the hell did this beauty come from!? Awesome trailer, beautiful looking game! At the end there's some crazy cave mutant thing with titties! I'm sold.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 17, 2013, 03:42 MUGWUMP

There's an awesome MMO in this genre for sure. Make a near continent sized map with 3 teams separated by a large no mans land where the hardcore pvp/scavenging goes on. Force people to team up at the beginning to develop a community. One life per "campaign". They can have multiple ones going. Reset after a certain faction overpowers the others. Rinse repeat. No fast travel other than vehicles you fix/mod and scavenge fuel for. Crafting possibilities are endless.

Need to combine that with a build-able/destructible environment. Build secure towns/ outposts etc.

Free to play. Pay 50 cents to respawn with same character etc or whatever

30. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 17, 2013, 02:49 Primalchrome

Sigh. Try to follow the current numbers/logic rather than looking at dev dreams or what the numbers were a year ago. The Walking Dead's numbers have dropped 24.7% in viewership since the current season started. Every other season has seen significant growth. At the current rate, this season will end with a lower viewership than the season prior. That isn't opinion...

Yes, there are plenty of sandbox games being released...and some are actually selling. Few are getting rave reviews, and NONE are even remotely close to the success of big sandbox games of a year ago (Minecraft or Terraria for example). You're seeing publishers flooding the market in the hopes of riding the hype train...but most consumers are looking for the next big thing.

I'm not saying these genres are gone....I'm saying that they have peaked. The fad will have fallen out of favor by the time DayZ releases. The numbers will be markedly less than what they would be if the game were decent and hit the market today. I dont' see what is so hard to understand about how the market is fickle and that hot ticket themes come and go.

I'm not bagging on your favorite genre...so quit trying to take my posts out of context or blow them wildly out of proportion. Personally I still enjoy zombie games...but I find how every FPS is trying to jump on the bandwagon to be a bit trite.

29. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 17, 2013, 01:54 Jerykk

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 22:08:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 20:01:
According to who? Last I checked, zombie games are still popular. State of Decay, a port of a zombie game released for Xbox 6 months ago, just recently came out on Steam and has been doing well. It's getting new DLC soon, which will very likely do well too. Resident Evil 6, a zombie game released a year ago, sold over 5 million copies. If Left4Dead 3 ever comes out, I'm sure it will sell millions as well.

I love it when people make declarations that have no basis in reality.
...no basis in reality? And you're citing the stats for a franchise game released a year ago as being applicable to the success of a niche game that will come out in another 18 months? If DayZ would come out now and somehow overcome all of the buggy foundation code, it would probably do very well. In 18 months? With them showing this as a gameplay trailer? They'll be lucky to get 60% of the potential sales they could have had in mid 2013.

Take a look at how all the zombie themed media is trending....downward. Yes yes, it's still selling, however, it's not as hot as it was. They're still selling, but there is a downward trend. Just like right now it seems that a lot of indie rogue-like games are hot....while minecraft clones are on the wane.

Again, where are you getting your numbers from? Where are your statistics showing that zombies are becoming less popular? MS signed an exclusivity deal with Capcom for a Xbone exclusive zombie game (Dead Rising 3). Techland is working on a high-profile AAA zombie game (Dying Light). Undead Labs is about to release DLC for their highly-acclaimed zombie game (State of Decay) that has sold over a million copies and was the fastest selling XBLA game in history. Season 2 of the highly-successful Walking Dead games (which earned GotY from many media outlets) is coming out soon. The Walking Dead TV series continues to be one of the most popular shows on television.

You may be getting bored of zombies but your opinion clearly doesn't represent that of the greater populace. If zombies are on the decline, there has yet to be any evidence showing that.

Now, if you were simply arguing that DayZ is well past its prime, you might have a point. The hype generated from the mod has basically died and the survival genre has become far less novel since then. But again, this has nothing to do with zombies and everything to do with the two factors I just mentioned.

P.S. Minecraft clones are not on the wane at all. They are a dime a dozen, with new ones being released on a regular basis. Just check out Greenlight for proof of that. Or Trove, the newly announced MMO from Trion. Or even the new Everquest game, which draws much inspiration from Minecraft.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2013, 02:01.

28. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 17, 2013, 01:40 Jerykk

netnerd85 wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 23:59:
Whats with all the motion BLUR, I am NOT putting up with that shit... can barely turn without the screen going fuzzy, what the hell.

ArmA2 always had motion blur. You can turn it off in the options menu.

27. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 23:59 netnerd85

Whats with all the motion BLUR, I am NOT putting up with that shit... can barely turn without the screen going fuzzy, what the hell.  

26. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 23:18 Whiskers

After the incredibly underwhelming Arma 3 I plan to wait for anything from Bohemia to be on sale for 75% off before picking it up.

The movement and interaction system here still looks terrible. It's been the same since Operation Flashpoint. It's too bad they didn't take the DayZ concept and move it to a different engine.

25. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 22:08 Primalchrome

Jerykk wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 20:01:
According to who? Last I checked, zombie games are still popular. State of Decay, a port of a zombie game released for Xbox 6 months ago, just recently came out on Steam and has been doing well. It's getting new DLC soon, which will very likely do well too. Resident Evil 6, a zombie game released a year ago, sold over 5 million copies. If Left4Dead 3 ever comes out, I'm sure it will sell millions as well.

...no basis in reality? And you're citing the stats for a franchise game released a year ago as being applicable to the success of a niche game that will come out in another 18 months? If DayZ would come out now and somehow overcome all of the buggy foundation code, it would probably do very well. In 18 months? With them showing this as a gameplay trailer? They'll be lucky to get 60% of the potential sales they could have had in mid 2013.

Take a look at how all the zombie themed media is trending....downward. Yes yes, it's still selling, however, it's not as hot as it was. They're still selling, but there is a downward trend. Just like right now it seems that a lot of indie rogue-like games are hot....while minecraft clones are on the wane.

24. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 20:52 DangerDog

Even though this isn't multiplayer focused like DayZ this is what it should look like if it expects to get any attention.

Go check out this early alpha footage of "the forest"

https://teksyndicate.com/news/2013/11/11/forest-extreme-survival-sim

23. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 20:21 jacobvandy

Not much point in releasing gameplay footage at this time, because all you do is stir up the previous 20 comments in this thread... 90% of the work they've been doing is behind the scenes, something you'd have to get a feel for by playing yourself. Because it's true, the game does look outwardly as if very little has changed in the past 18 months. I'm not sure Rocket realizes this, having such intimate knowledge of the mechanics that no average spectator does. He and his pep squad love to counter comments like these with "You have no idea dood, it's a totally different game!" It's just hard to show that right now.  

22. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 20:14 MUGWUMP

I thought the delay was because they were moving it over to the new engine.

If that doesn't scream of "You can polish a turd" I don't know what will.

My anticipation for this dropped close to zero a year ago. Now it's flatlined.

21. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 20:01 MajorD

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 14:00:
The animation system is still just bleh.
Don't get me wrong the idea I love, but by the time this comes out in 2014-15, the game is going to be so dated that it'll be left in the dust. At this point why not take what they have done and use the ARMA 3 engine?

Yeah, I'm with you. I put a lot of hours into the mod and was pumped for this stand alone game, but that interest has become less and less the more time goes on. The Zombie craze already reached its pinnacle a while ago, so unless they release this sooner than later, it will not do as well as it potentially could.

Don't get me wrong, I hope we're all WOWed, and that they do well with the game, but I have a feeling it is not going to do as well as it could have if released a year ago. I do realize it is still Alpha footage, etc., but it only looks like they have been enhancing the UI, menu systems, some of the graphics, and added some new animations (kind of clunky); however, the game overall still looks as clunky as it did in its mod stage.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2013, 20:13.

20. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 20:01 Jerykk

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 17:02:
Just in time for the zombie fad to have fallen out of favor. These guys just squandered the only real opportunity they'll ever have in the market.

19. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 17:14 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 16:57:
Zombies and vampires are over. They missed the bandwagon.
This is so true. Now a survival game against KAIJU would be freakin awesome.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 17:02 Primalchrome

Just in time for the zombie fad to have fallen out of favor. These guys just squandered the only real opportunity they'll ever have in the market.  

17. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 16:57 Cutter

Zombies and vampires are over. They missed the bandwagon.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 16:40 Creston

Our whole focus is on getting the alpha out,

Eh... isn't that what the mod was?

15. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 16:35 JayDeath

Yeah, I've put over 600 hours into the mod but now even I am kinda meh at this point. The SA needed to be released a year ago.  
Steam: Henry Krinkle

Why isn't there a remake of Westworld?

14. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 16:35 Quboid

Frags4Fun wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 15:54:
I can't believe that they are wasting time on things like an in hand compass. I've/we've been waiting since the summer of 2012 for an in hand compass and zombies who all look exactly the same? I've tried to be patient but I'm beginning to lose interest. Sad. I remember being excited last freakin November about a possibly impending Alpha version. Screw this! So disappointed.

They spent the first 30 seconds explaining most of this...

- Quboid

13. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 16:21 Wallshadows

I think this team just likes using the word Alpha and have no plans to release a candidate beyond that.  

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo