Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Thief Dropping QTEs

The Eidos Montreal Community website features a community Q&A on Thief, their upcoming revival of Looking Glass Studios' classic stealth series (thanks Eurogamer). One of the answers indicates that they have come to their senses and are removing the soul-crushing "gameplay" element of QuickTime events, true to a hint they dropped a month ago. Here's word:

razorstealth: You mentioned QTEs in the last Take 5. How are you planning to implement these so that they don't break immersion?

Valerie: Oh, I want to answer that one! I was hoping someone would ask. Easy, we're not implementing them. To begin with, there were very few instances of QTEs in the game; in fact there was only one in that whole hour-long E3 demo. However, given the strong reactions it evoked in the press and the community, it was an easy decision to do away with them entirely. So we're not doing it. No quick time.

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

82. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 16, 2013, 16:00 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 14:09:
Quboid wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 09:09:
#TeamJerykk

Fallout 3, X-COM and DX:HR support him.
I suppose SimCity doesn't.

The Bureau and Syndicate I won't count because those were complete genre shifts.

In so much as I had a point, I referring to " I'm just tired of people bashing games based on limited and/or incorrect information". Even SimCity's on his side there, the amount of baseless complaining about that was shocking (see how quickly that MMO comment's context was ignored) - it's not as if there was a shortage of legitimate complaints!

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

81. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 16, 2013, 14:09 Beamer

Quboid wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 09:09:
#TeamJerykk

Fallout 3, X-COM and DX:HR support him.
I suppose SimCity doesn't.

The Bureau and Syndicate I won't count because those were complete genre shifts.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

80. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 16, 2013, 10:55 HorrorScope

Jerykk wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 06:02:
It's not even specific to this game, though. I'm just tired of people bashing games based on limited and/or incorrect information. THIEF may well end up being crap but there's simply not enough info available to make that judgment yet. Claims that the game isn't "Thief" enough are similarly unfounded and appear to stem from people taking a few nitpicks and blowing them way out of proportion.

Agreed, we have plenty of hatred in us for the now, we shouldn't have to put energy into hating ahead of time. That said, the topics that get most hate around here aren't even specifically related to a game. It's more of Microsoft (fumbling over itself), NSA, Congress looking at violence in games etc. Then there are some games that really get panned hard, Aliens, DNF, Sim City and some others but far from a majority -or- the biggest of boys and their milking of franchises COD, Blizzard etc. Most games come and go here with hardly any peep positive or negative. But there is also plenty of praise/help discussion here as well.

I do get some pre-release hatred with Thief, as mentioned there were three main reasons, XP for kills, QTE's and Free Jumping. Looks like 2 out of 3 are gone. I'm sure there is Jumping in Thief, just that it is procedural in how it works when you are near a place to jump, the game will kick in the action/animation. We probably wont get this one back, but I can see how it can still be a fine game without. Oh wells.

I wonder how comics survived with their constant reboots and multiverses of their same hero's?

79. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 16, 2013, 09:09 Quboid

#TeamJerykk  

- Quboid

78. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 16, 2013, 06:02 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 04:36:
Clever Caviar wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 03:18:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 23:00:
As for this? I don't even particularly feel like it's a Thief game. Different actor, different story, different gameplay focus, it's just leveraging the IP really.

So.. how is the gameplay focus any different from the previous games? They aren't turning this into CoD. The focus is still on sneaking around and stealing stuff. As for the different voice actor, yes, the actor is different but what really matters is the writing of the character. As far as I can tell, Garrett still acts like Garrett. The new VA even sounds like the old one. As for story, yes, they are changing the details but the overall setting and tone and very similar to the other games.

Everything I've seen and read makes the new Thief seem like a Thief game. It's certainly not a carbon copy of the original but it retains all the important elements.

agreed. It's some guy in leathers, sneaking around some medieval steampunk world, nicking stuff from pompous rich people. Seems very much like the Thief I grew up with. It has some changes also, but lots of other IPs go through changes, revisions, re-imaginings, reboots. Sometimes that works and you get new, interesting takes on things, sometimes it falls flat.

This x100.

Jerykk always makes these Thief discussions interesting, what with the way he's passionately defending the game that's not even out yet against people bashing the game that's not even out yet xD

It's not even specific to this game, though. I'm just tired of people bashing games based on limited and/or incorrect information. THIEF may well end up being crap but there's simply not enough info available to make that judgment yet. Claims that the game isn't "Thief" enough are similarly unfounded and appear to stem from people taking a few nitpicks and blowing them way out of proportion.

77. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 16, 2013, 04:36 Quinn

Clever Caviar wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 03:18:
As for this? I don't even particularly feel like it's a Thief game. Different actor, different story, different gameplay focus, it's just leveraging the IP really.

So.. how is the gameplay focus any different from the previous games? They aren't turning this into CoD. The focus is still on sneaking around and stealing stuff. As for the different voice actor, yes, the actor is different but what really matters is the writing of the character. As far as I can tell, Garrett still acts like Garrett. The new VA even sounds like the old one. As for story, yes, they are changing the details but the overall setting and tone and very similar to the other games.

Everything I've seen and read makes the new Thief seem like a Thief game. It's certainly not a carbon copy of the original but it retains all the important elements.

agreed. It's some guy in leathers, sneaking around some medieval steampunk world, nicking stuff from pompous rich people. Seems very much like the Thief I grew up with. It has some changes also, but lots of other IPs go through changes, revisions, re-imaginings, reboots. Sometimes that works and you get new, interesting takes on things, sometimes it falls flat.

This x100.

Jerykk always makes these Thief discussions interesting, what with the way he's passionately defending the game that's not even out yet against people bashing the game that's not even out yet xD

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

76. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 16, 2013, 04:33 nofb

FYI it's quick time events, not QuickTime events, fortunately Apple has nothing to do with it  

75. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 16, 2013, 03:25 Clever Caviar

PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 11:05:
MajorD wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 10:49:
@PsychoMoggieBagpuss: Thank you, much appreciated. Thumbsup

You're welcome!

Something to tide you by while you download

Thief
System Shock 2

Obviously you'll want to grab the latest SHTUP and rebirth mods for SS2, the first provides higher res texture, the second high res enemy models. Can get those here , some other good mods and that over at https://www.systemshock.org/ as well (for both SS and thief).

I can't remember if this is correct or not, but does the newdark patch allow textures to be loaded outside of the packed texture files the game shipped with? meaning, {gamedir}/textures/wall01.png would override what came in {gamedir}/walls.tex, for example (I don't remember the exact file structure of the game).

::
Rockstar made $1 billion in 3 days with GTAV, yet they can't find the budget to port RDR to PC.

74. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 16, 2013, 03:18 Clever Caviar

::
Rockstar made $1 billion in 3 days with GTAV, yet they can't find the budget to port RDR to PC.

73. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 16, 2013, 00:15 Fletch

NKD wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 23:15:
I'm sure he didn't mean to walk on your lawn.

HUMBUG!

72. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 16, 2013, 00:06 Ladron3dfx

Now while they are on the ropes, re-implement manual jumping. As all previous Thief games had manual jumping and no one ever asked for it to be removed. It's absolutely idiotic that it was removed. Once that is re-implemented we can discuss the issue of rope arrows and then finally, the level editor.

Then, only then will I consider buying it, on console.

All will be forgiven if they add Burricks too. Wink

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2013, 00:14.

Steamworks

71. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 23:15 NKD

Fletch wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 20:13:
Nucas wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 18:35:
that's because much of the vocal "fan base" is a bunch arrogant motards like you, mouthing off about what is and isn't valid use of the ip and self-importantly vomiting out commentary. you wish you were still playing games on your sega genesis, we get it - the rest of the world has moved on and embraced new ways of building worlds and telling stories.
I have never played consoles, and the only "new way" I see of "building worlds and telling stories" is ass-backwards from where it was headed before consoles and their braindead minions began exerting their will on gaming and game development. It's a hand-holding, "press button, win game" mentality instilled in you ADD-addled Luddites when your mommies plopped you down in front of TVs and threw controllers in your hands rather than bother interacting with you on a human level. When you brats got older, you squalled for the latest, greatest console, and mommy relented and bought it for you because, hey, it always shut you up before. The internet reinforced the errors in your asocial programming and instilled not only a desire to be a douche to countless, faceless voices during Halo, but also the ability to peck out the most inept flames to countless, voiceless nyms without even the smallest urge to screen said "insults" for laughability, much less, punctuation, before sending it out into the ether. Their effectiveness on your peers betrays just how many vapid, soulless, nitwits share your psychosis, but to those of us approaching half a century on this earth, who have been playing PC games since the TRS-80, who actually knew our parents... you're going to have to try harder than that.

You are why Thief for PC is gonna suck.

I'm sure he didn't mean to walk on your lawn.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

70. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 23:00 Jerykk

69. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 22:49 HorrorScope

Or not lose sight all of the games that are being made. We have a ton of old school out now and more coming. We have your Dark Mod for your traditional Thief fix. There is literally 10 games a week being released now for the pc of all shapes, sizes and prices.  

68. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 22:23 Creston

Taskeen wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 19:55:
Bethesda devs also claimed isometric wouldn't work or wouldn't be profitable, that games should be immersive only in "fps" which is false. Hence why Wasteland 2 had so much money thrown at it, because that's what the fans wanted, not some publisher telling em "this is how it should be."

I'm happy as a clam about Wasteland 2, but let's get serious here. Wasteland 2 got 4 million dollars thrown at it. Had Bethesda sold Fallout 3 for a dollar a copy, they'd still have more money than Wasteland 2...

I understand the argument that it got changed too much, but personally I loved FO3 (NV a little less), and I'm glad Bethesda took the chance and resurrected a once-dead franchise.

67. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 22:20 Creston

Fletch wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 18:23:
Are YOU saying it's OK for developers to make shit PC games?

I'd rather they try and fail than not bother trying at all. (As long as it stays within the general genre of game. FO2 to FO3 didn't bother me, as it was still an RPG, still set in the same world, same over-arching type of storyline, etc. It just had a different view to it. But Syndicate going from a 4 person tactical game to a horseshit FPS was just ridiculous.)

66. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 21:16 Fantaz

Thief 180  

65. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 20:22 HorrorScope

Taskeen wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 19:55:

Bethesda devs also claimed isometric wouldn't work or wouldn't be profitable, that games should be immersive only in "fps" which is false. Hence why Wasteland 2 had so much money thrown at it, because that's what the fans wanted, not some publisher telling em "this is how it should be."

I'm certain we are not talking in the same ballpark of revenue potential. That is why they are right. It's all about why this is a renaissance era, we have AA and Indy thriving at the same time so we can get big budget and turn base iso.

64. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 20:13 Fletch

Nucas wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 18:35:
that's because much of the vocal "fan base" is a bunch arrogant motards like you, mouthing off about what is and isn't valid use of the ip and self-importantly vomiting out commentary. you wish you were still playing games on your sega genesis, we get it - the rest of the world has moved on and embraced new ways of building worlds and telling stories.
I have never played consoles, and the only "new way" I see of "building worlds and telling stories" is ass-backwards from where it was headed before consoles and their braindead minions began exerting their will on gaming and game development. It's a hand-holding, "press button, win game" mentality instilled in you ADD-addled Luddites when your mommies plopped you down in front of TVs and threw controllers in your hands rather than bother interacting with you on a human level. When you brats got older, you squalled for the latest, greatest console, and mommy relented and bought it for you because, hey, it always shut you up before. The internet reinforced the errors in your asocial programming and instilled not only a desire to be a douche to countless, faceless voices during Halo, but also the ability to peck out the most inept flames to countless, voiceless nyms without even the smallest urge to screen said "insults" for laughability, much less, punctuation, before sending it out into the ether. Their effectiveness on your peers betrays just how many vapid, soulless, nitwits share your psychosis, but to those of us approaching half a century on this earth, who have been playing PC games since the TRS-80, who actually knew our parents... you're going to have to try harder than that.

You are why Thief for PC is gonna suck.

63. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 19:55 Taskeen

saluk wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 18:43:

Other rebirths have managed OK. Fallout 3 was mentioned - while it is not a 2d isometric rpg, it actually has a lot of the core elements that made the original games great. Sure, some people just prefer 2d isometric games; but the setting, funny writing, crazy weapons, tactics, perks, and multiple solutions to problems all survived more or less intact (or improved). I still have a soft spot in my heart for FO1, and consider it the better game overall, but I enjoyed my time in FO3 and NV.

The reason FO3 was moved to FPS, is because that is essentially what Bethesda 'does' with their RPG's and their TES engine. Since they took control of the license from the original makers, that's what we got. They had their hands on a version of FO3 or concept that was isometric, but they scrapped it, mostly because they aren't good at making those kinds of games.

Their engine type is 'ok' for one specific game, the Elder Scrolls universe and lore of their making. For FO3, it felt like I was playing Oblivion: Fallout the Mod with Retconned Fallout 1/2 material. The story also was amateurish, to me, anyways. Maybe not to others, but I saw it for what it was - trying to be a Fallout game, but not doing so well at it. Having 'followers,' for instance is really lackluster since you can't order them to specific spots and tell them what to aim for, etc.

Also, I'm not knocking the game entirely, I did like New Vegas a little better story-wise. It just irks me that tactical depth was lost in the FPS fallout transition. For instance, if they made FO3/NV both FPS/3PS with a toggle-able top-down 'tactics' view like Dragon Age, I would have loved that immensely.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2013, 20:06.

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo