Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth

Today marks the release of X Rebirth, the reworking of EGOSOFTs long running X series of space combat games. The EGOSOFT website has details on were to grab a copy, and here's a rundown of what to expect:

X Rebirth represents a spectacular new beginning for the X series, offering loyal fans and newcomers alike a vast, vivid and extremely detailed universe to explore throughout the game.

Varied gameplay elements such as action-packed space combat, detailed trading mechanics and high-speed space exploration with fast travel allow players to experience a truly unique space saga that will keep them hooked for dozens of hours.

X Rebirth features a whole new user experience - it is easier than ever to start with, and remains as deep as fans expect it.

View
130 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

130. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 20, 2013, 13:39 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 13:28:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 12:34:
Yeah all the freeplay starts the same way. I did see that last night also.

Well that's disappointing. I thought that guy just had a once-in-a-lifetime sequence of events...

I was actually wrong not all of them start the same way, a few I've started had that fight right as I spawn but the one I've started last night did not have any fights.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

129. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 20, 2013, 13:28 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 12:34:
Yeah all the freeplay starts the same way. I did see that last night also.

Well that's disappointing. I thought that guy just had a once-in-a-lifetime sequence of events...

128. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 19, 2013, 12:34 SpectralMeat

Yeah all the freeplay starts the same way. I did see that last night also. Too bad none of the ship that are destroyed leave any loot.  

127. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 19, 2013, 12:32 Drayth

Creston wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 02:27:
Btw, there are some really fucking awesome things happening in the game.

I haven't played much at all (waiting for it to get patched up), but I started a free play just to check it out before bed, and that same Xenon capital ship was spawned right at the beginning.

I sat for 20 minutes watching it waste all the transport ships in the area (except the ones that kept their distance). Eventually the station itself took it out, and watching the ship explode left my jaw on the floor. It doesn't just blow up, it's a freaking pyrotechnic display.

This game has massive potential.

126. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 19, 2013, 10:14 Creston

I got a reply from Egosoft to my performance testing

the performance issue is not dependend on the GPU currently, there is a cueing issue in the engine that makes the renderer awit too long. We are working on it and will provide a performance patch later this week.

So at least they think they've figured it out.

125. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 18, 2013, 10:50 SpectralMeat

Check here for performance issues: http://steamcommunity.com/app/2870/discussions/0/648811852371458323/

Here is the youtube video I was talking about, when I've followed that step by step everything with the trade mission went fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXgnBmzwUuY

124. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 18, 2013, 10:46 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 07:45:
Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 02:21:
Does the trading work in free play? It seems to be horribly borked in campaign mode.
I think trading will work in campaign if you use the "in ship" trade menu to buy and sell (main menu press 4).
I've been having a lot of issues with the buy/sell electrodes or whatever mission where my trade ship would not go and pickup the goods I've bought or it would not sell it, until I saw that youtube video explaining how to do it as opposed to double click on the icon just outside the station.
Also if you give more then one orders to your trade ship at the time (plan more then 1 trip) the trade ship will just sit there not doing anything.

Huh, I'll need to give that a try. Thanks!!

As for the performance issues I think people with better hardware are having issues while people with low end hardware can run the game smooth.

It's that, or people with low-end hardware are used to playing at ~30fps, while people with high-end hardware are like wtf is this 30fps shit?

Devs mentioned something about not testing performance on higher end PCs. I believe a patch to fix that will be out shortly.

The fact that they never tested it on high-end hardware just makes me shake my head. Apparently none of the level 5 dev guys have a decent PC. Sigh.

123. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 18, 2013, 07:45 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 02:21:
Does the trading work in free play? It seems to be horribly borked in campaign mode.
I think trading will work in campaign if you use the "in ship" trade menu to buy and sell (main menu press 4).
I've been having a lot of issues with the buy/sell electrodes or whatever mission where my trade ship would not go and pickup the goods I've bought or it would not sell it, until I saw that youtube video explaining how to do it as opposed to double click on the icon just outside the station.
Also if you give more then one orders to your trade ship at the time (plan more then 1 trip) the trade ship will just sit there not doing anything.

I will probably start free play and see what I can "achieve"

As for the performance issues I think people with better hardware are having issues while people with low end hardware can run the game smooth.
Devs mentioned something about not testing performance on higher end PCs. I believe a patch to fix that will be out shortly.

122. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 18, 2013, 02:21 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 14:35:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 11:24:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 10:30:
Sadly the campaign is completely fucking broken.. 10 hours in and... tada, game takes all my ships for plot reasons and doesn't give them back, despite claiming it did. Awesome.
Yeah I did run into some bugs as well, had to restart the campaign a few times.
Learned my lesson, stopped using quick save and save manually into separate files in case something goes belly up, like that energy delivery mission.
Still loving the game though.

The game has it's moments and there is so much to discover... I think you are better off playing Free play and forgeting the plot. Getting your first proper trade vessel + trade computer and you are set for great profits

121. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 17, 2013, 22:18 Bhruic

I've definitely had more fun by restarting a free play mode game. A lot of the annoyances are still there, but I don't also have to contend with the campaign mode bugs. So far I've mainly been playing as a mercenary doing kill contracts. Not too bad, and a decent-ish way to make money. Although I'm not sure how well they scale, there doesn't seem to be any rankings like in the previous X games to base the prices off of.  

120. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 17, 2013, 14:35 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 11:24:
Sadly the campaign is completely fucking broken.. 10 hours in and... tada, game takes all my ships for plot reasons and doesn't give them back, despite claiming it did. Awesome.
Learned my lesson, stopped using quick save and save manually into separate files in case something goes belly up, like that energy delivery mission.

The game has it's moments and there is so much to discover... I think you are better off playing Free play and forgeting the plot. Getting your first proper trade vessel + trade computer and you are set for great profits

119. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 17, 2013, 11:24 SpectralMeat

118. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 17, 2013, 10:30 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 08:28:
Quinn wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 08:15:
Downloading this game as of this moment. Couldn't take all the different opinions In the end the video footage looks like the stuff of a very entertaining and very good looking game is space. Good enough for me.

Hope I haven't burned my money.
It is an awesome game. Hope the technical issues will be patched up soon.
Now if someone would make a "let's play" video of the free play mode so I could start playing that instead of the campaign I'd be happy.
I've never played an x game before so I have no clue wtf I am doing or how to start making money in the free play mode.

117. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 17, 2013, 08:28 SpectralMeat

Quinn wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 08:15:
Downloading this game as of this moment. Couldn't take all the different opinions In the end the video footage looks like the stuff of a very entertaining and very good looking game is space. Good enough for me.

It is an awesome game. Hope the technical issues will be patched up soon.
Now if someone would make a "let's play" video of the free play mode so I could start playing that instead of the campaign I'd be happy.
I've never played an x game before so I have no clue wtf I am doing or how to start making money in the free play mode.

116. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 17, 2013, 08:15 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

115. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 17, 2013, 02:27 Creston

Btw, there are some really fucking awesome things happening in the game.  

114. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 16, 2013, 23:06 Yosemite Sam

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 21:04:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 17:01:
Quick video i made of me having a bit of fun testing some stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NvvQg9ZbsY

Recorded on my GTX580 / i7 2600k overclocked to 4.4GHz / 16GB ram

Notice no slowdowns??? Don't know what those people are talking about! Make sure you watch in 1080p

I can't find who you quoted it from, YS, so I'm just using your post as the quoted one.

To the person who posted that video, what's your framerate? I don't see any slowdowns when it's running right at 30fps, but since neither my CPU or my GPU are maxed (both are under 50%), I just can't figure out why it won't run any faster than that...

Ya had some weird format problem when I quoted and lost the username in my quick fix to fix it... it was Efflix

The highways bring the openness of space back to this game, see that planet in the distance? Chances are there's a highway that takes you right alongside it, and seeing it get larger and larger as you quickly approach in the highway is impressive.

At one point in the tutorial you approach a sun in this manner I thought the highway was broken and I was going to crash into it. You end up right alongside the sun and its an impressive display.

I like the highway system and how they used it to really open up sectors beyond the gates that brought you there... it's the ships that surround the stations like a string of pearls that looks ridiculous.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

113. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2013, 22:04 Dala

Quboid wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 16:29:
Does the indoor/NPC system have any redeeming aspects, or is it a waste of time for both the developers and the players?

It has both good and bad points. I like the fact that it is there at all, as I think this makes the game more realistic than it otherwise would be.

The biggest problem for me is the quality of the character models, which are not terrible, but do not live up to the standard set by the quality of the space flight graphics.

I like the fact that you can pick up and walk off with things. This is realistic. What is not realistic is that nothing at all, ever, happens to you for doing this. I really think something should happen, sometimes, even if it was just a small faction hit if you nick things within ten metres of a guard or something similar. There are a lot of guards on some of the stations. All of them just stand still the whole time.

You can find some very valuable items in certain places on some stations. I will not say where here, in case some people do not want to know, but if you want some item hunting tips, send me an e-mail.

I like the icons over the NPC's heads, as it makes it easier to find the type you are looking for. Having wrote that, all the shopping NPCs have the same shopping bag icon. I would be nice if there where different icons for different types of shop.

There are some really nice environments in places. I like the science lab and the fish tanks most so far.

The 'dance club' is a bit weird as it does not have a dance floor, or anyone dancing. I guess in a thousand years time dancing and dance floors in dance clubs might have gone out of fashion.

Some of the English voice acting is not very good, but I guess that is to expected for the likely budget of the game.

Overall, I think it a good thing to have in the game and I am glad they bothered with it.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2013, 01:36.

112. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 16, 2013, 21:56 D4rkKnight

Quboid wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 17:13:
The traffic lanes look good IMHO, except where it appears to intersect the green highway thing. Having loads of ships helps the game's atmosphere but letting them roam as freely as the player would be a mess, tax the route finding AI even more, and I don't think it would be realistic. Flight routes of that density would be controlled very heavily.

It annoys me in that video that you can hear the police sirens go past. Are there other sounds in X's space?

There's already a mod that removes the sirens

111. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2013, 21:10 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 21:03:
Quboid wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 16:55:
Why did this take 7 years, and why are design flaws so apparent now not picked up upon earlier? Hindsight is 20:20 and all that but even if I hadn't watched any gameplay, the indoor system's apparent flaws are so utterly predictable. From what I've seen, it's got repetitive interiors, badly made NPCs, lacklustre conversations with UI problems, and apparently no redeeming features. Does it even help the sense of scale in space?

Well, an entirely new engine, gorgeous graphics (I will say that, it looks better than any game in space I've ever seen) and a dev of roughly 20 people would account for the 7 years.

And I do actually think it DOES help the sense of scale that you're able to walk around on some of those stations. Well, it's not the walking around that does that, it's the skymap around the landing sites. The very first station you land on, the skymap really makes you feel as if you're on this giant asteroid mining facility.

So it does help somewhat, but why aren't all these people you need to find simply either on the landing pad, or in a market area just outside it? Freelancer did planets, and you didn't spend 10 minutes trying to find somebody. Privateer did planets, and everyone you needed to talk to was basically in the cantina right outside the landing pad.

Either that, or they heard Roberts was doing it, and went like "OMG WALKING AROUND SPACESTATIONS WE MUST HAVE THAT!"

Ah well.

They seem to have forgotten that gameplay trumps everything else. The new UI is just horrid. And the game elements that go with it are just as bad. Seriously, fly around to a bunch of "!" on the screen to get a discount price on merchandise? Have to do a mini-game (using the word very loosely) to be able to tell the stats on someone? Who at Egosoft thought that *anyone* would think those are good design decisions? If I'm going to be spending lots of time trading, make it fucking easy to do. Dicking me around and making me jump through pointless hoops is stupid. They really need to have someone who asks everyone making design decisions "Ok, does this make the game more fun?". Because so many of the decisions they made are pretty obviously worse.

130 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo