Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending

Harebrained Schemes took to Kickstarter to share the good news that they have negotiated an end to the DRM in Shadowrun Returns, saying this will allow them to release DRM-free versions of the game and its future expansions:

We just want to send out a quick update to share some good news. Thanks to a new agreement we were able to negotiate with our partners at Microsoft, Harebrained Schemes is pleased to announce that we are now able to release fully DRM-free versions of Shadowrun Returns and future expansions such as Berlin.

The DRM-free versions of SRR and Berlin will continue to be fully supported. You'll be able to download all game patches, use the Shadowrun Returns editor and experience user-generated content downloaded from third-party sites such as Nexus.

We’re starting work to get Shadowrun Returns available on GOG.com right now - not sure how long that will take but we’ll let you know as soon as we have an answer.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

17. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 08:47 nin

Blue wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 07:34:
El Pit wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 01:22:
Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 23:38:
Ver ist Berlin?!

Where is Berlin? = Wo ist Berlin?

Who is Berlin? = Wer ist Berlin?

Learning German - Lesson 1

Ich bin ein Berliner!

Ich Bin Ein Auslander?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 08:34 Sho

Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 07:54:

Steam is so convenient and non-intrusive that I would hesitate to categorize it with typical DRM. Why must people whine so damn much about nothing?

It's not whining to point out that none of Steam's convenience and non-intrusiveness derive from its DRM features; it'd work just as well if it didn't have them, and it would allow users additional freedoms that I've sometimes desired in practice. I use Steam, I get value out of Steam, but I think it could be even better. Fortunately, it actually has been improving, too.

I think having DRM-free purchase options for games only increases the pressure on Steam to improve, so I think it's a good idea to ask for them for that reason alone. However, I've also sometimes explicitly bought a game from a different vendor than Steam because circumstances required me to have those additional freedoms Steam doesn't offer (for example, concurrent logins).

Having an opinion != whining.

15. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 08:28 Slashman

Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 07:54:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 07:43:
"We’re starting work to get Shadowrun Returns available on GOG.com right now - not sure how long that will take but we’ll let you know as soon as we have an answer."

Sooner you do, the sooner I buy! No more money for Gabe Newell's DRM.

Steam is so convenient and non-intrusive that I would hesitate to categorize it with typical DRM. Why must people whine so damn much about nothing?

It makes them feel important and like they are taking a stand for something. The actual reality is much different, but they just stick their fingers in their ears and chant mantras about protecting their rights.

Because you know, videogames is serious business...

14. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 07:54 Fibrocyte

Optional Nickname! wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 07:43:
"We’re starting work to get Shadowrun Returns available on GOG.com right now - not sure how long that will take but we’ll let you know as soon as we have an answer."

13. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 07:43 Optional Nickname!

12. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 07:35 Sho

Blue wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 07:34:

Ich bin ein Berliner!

So am I! (For reals, and for 29 years.)

And yeah, this makes me very happy. I ended up really enjoying the game, but I was pretty pissed with them for not being more forthcoming about the constraints the licensing situation might put on them, since it was clearly relevant to investment decisions made by the backers. That this got resolved is an unexpected surprise and means I get to recommend the game with a clean conscience, and am much more likely to back future endeavours by Harebrained.

11. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 07:34 Dev

Kudos to them for continuing to work on this. They didn't have to.  

10. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 07:34  Blue 

El Pit wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 01:22:
Ver ist Berlin?!

Ich bin ein Berliner!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

9. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 07:14 Falaffel

Great news!  

8. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 05:23 Julio

I give them credit for getting back to their DRM free promise. Steam exclusivity and Steam DRM doesn't maximize their sales.  

7. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 01:22 El Pit

Ver ist Berlin?!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

6. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 00:59 Creston

Ver ist Berlin?!

Wer. Wer ist Berlin. Es ist in Deutschland.

5. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 00:22 Acleacius

Bier?  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

4. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 12, 2013, 23:38 Cutter

Ver ist Berlin?!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 12, 2013, 22:40 Tanto Edge

WOOHOO!  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

2. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 12, 2013, 22:23 Creston

Cool news. Looking forward to Berlin.  

1. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 12, 2013, 22:08 MoreLuckThanSkill

Excellent. No reason not to have any of these indie games on gog.com, really. I can't believe most of them stick to just Steam... mind boggling.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo