Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wasteland 1 on GOG.com

GOG.com announces the release of a "slightly updated" edition of Wasteland 1, the classic post-apocalyptic RPG. Here's the blast from the past:

Back in 1988 Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic (or just Wasteland back then) took the fresh memory of living in constant fear during the Cold War, reached for the aesthetics of the Mad Max movies, added solid cRPG mechanics, and offered gamers an experience that would soon inspire a whole gaming sub-genre. Long before Mr. Ron Perlman announced to the world that "war never changes" in the iconic opening sequence to Fallout, the post-apocalyptic grim future was a vision already present and persistent in the minds of gamers. That was mostly because of Wasteland. The open-ended free-roam gameplay, paired with incredibly rich and suggestive setting made a lasting impression on everyone who dared to visit the nuclear desert. With challenging difficulty level and great variety of NPCs, quests, and locations, this fantastic title is still a blast to play!

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Wasteland 1 on GOG.com Nov 13, 2013, 20:14 jimnms

Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 07:10:
GL1zdA wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 04:48:
Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 21:31:
I already unlocked it on Steam and tends to crash a whole lot more than the old DOSBox version I've been playing for years.
They are still using DOSBox for this version.

I know. But for some reason this updated version is less stable. Even Brother None acknowledged it and they are working on a fix.

The wasteland.exe is some modified form of DOSBox. I just rooted around in the game directory and noticed the original DOS files are in the \Wasteland\ROM\Data directory, but the wl.exe is in \Wasteland\ROM. If you copy/move wl.exe to the Data directory you can run the original DOS version with DOSBox. You don't get any of the new features like in-game paragraphs or VO though.

I tried using DOSBox command line options with the wasteland.exe, but it doesn't respond to them. The DOSBox hot keys also don't work, like pressing CTRL-F10 to release the mouse. I was hoping to be able to use command line options or a dosbox.cfg to make it run windowed by default without disabling Aero, and be able to release the mouse.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Wasteland 1 on GOG.com Nov 13, 2013, 07:10 Mad Max RW

GL1zdA wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 04:48:
I already unlocked it on Steam and tends to crash a whole lot more than the old DOSBox version I've been playing for years.

I know. But for some reason this updated version is less stable. Even Brother None acknowledged it and they are working on a fix.

8. Re: Wasteland 1 on GOG.com Nov 13, 2013, 05:32 Julio

Got my free GOG version as a W2 backer. Nice little bonus, I haven't tried it yet.  

7. Re: Wasteland 1 on GOG.com Nov 13, 2013, 04:48 GL1zdA

6. Re: Wasteland 1 on GOG.com Nov 13, 2013, 04:07 jimnms

As a Wasteland 2 backer, I chose to redeem my WL2 GOG. I think it's pretty damn awesome that they were able to do this and update the game to add the text and voice over, however, it's not without its problems. It runs full screen, and seems to stretched even though I have my GPU set to preserve aspect ratio of full screen games. Pressing ALT-Enter will switch to windowed mode, but it doesn't release control of the mouse. I've tried pressing ALT-TAB, but I the only way I can get it to release the mouse is to go full screen and back to windowed. In full screen the mouse is crazy sensitive, but not as bad windowed. I also don't like that it disables Aero in windowed mode. I haven't had any problems with it yet, but I haven't played it for very long.

I have played the original in DOSBox without problems, and it runs fine windowed without disabling Aero themes.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Wasteland 1 on GOG.com Nov 13, 2013, 03:11 OldTimber

Had a good laugh looking at the minimum sys spec and d/l size to run this version now. Would be fun to see if they can import old saves since I'm bound to have my disk(5.25) still around from the original.  

4. Re: Wasteland 1 on GOG.com Nov 13, 2013, 02:29 Lord Tea

I can't wait to get my hands on the W2 beta. As backers we had early access to the "enhanced" version of W1 on GOG. But as Cutter said, playing this in 2013 is really cumbersome.  
UPSA = United Police States of America

3. Re: Wasteland 1 on GOG.com Nov 13, 2013, 00:08 A51Abductee

GOG version is rock solid for me. I've noticed a couple of bugs where certain paragraphs don't seem to have a link enabled, but otherwise no complaints. The voice-overs are well done, particularly if you consider what the actor has to read It also has the unofficial reset utility built in which is a nice touch.

2. Re: Wasteland 1 on GOG.com Nov 12, 2013, 23:40 Cutter

I played through it again for a few hours and it was a nice blast from the past but far too cumbersome for what we're accustomed to now.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

1. Re: Wasteland 1 on GOG.com Nov 12, 2013, 21:31 Mad Max RW

I already unlocked it on Steam and tends to crash a whole lot more than the old DOSBox version I've been playing for years. All the text in-game is a nice addition and the overall smoothing filter isn't too overdone. I'm still not a fan of the optional "upgraded" non-animated portraits. Fortunately you can stick with the purist version. And that's who this is for. Purists. If you're new you will likely never be able to get into it.  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo