Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment unveils plans for Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, a third-person action game set in Tolkien's Middle-earth in development at Monolith Productions for release on Windows as well as last- and next-generation console systems. They have launched the Shadow of Mordor website, and we can expect further details soon, since this is the cover story on the December issue of GameInformer, and in the meantime, here's the announcement:

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today announced Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, a next-generation, third-person action game set in Middle-earth that explores an original story of vengeance and redemption. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is in development for PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment systems, Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, the Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC.

In Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, gamers take on the role of Talion, a valiant ranger whose family is slain in front of him the night Sauron and his army return to Mordor, moments before his own life is taken. Resurrected by a Spirit of vengeance and empowered with Wraith abilities, Talion ventures into Mordor and vows to destroy those who have wronged him. Through the course of his personal vendetta, Talion uncovers the truth of the Spirit that compels him, learns the origins of the Rings of Power and ultimately confronts his true nemesis.

“In Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, players will explore the dark and very personal theme of vengeance in a world where decisions have a consequence, and those consequences persist even after death,” said Samantha Ryan, Senior Vice President, Production and Development, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “The game introduces new gameplay mechanics to the action genre, creating opportunities for emergent and customized gameplay that will be rewarding for players.”

Every enemy that players face is a unique individual, differentiated by their personality, strengths and weaknesses. Through the Nemesis System, enemy relationships and characteristics are shaped by player actions and decisions to create personal archenemies that remember and adapt to the player and are distinct to every gameplay session. Gamers are able to craft their own battles, enemies and rewards within the dynamic world that remembers and adapts to their choices, delivering a unique experience to every player.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is under development by Monolith Productions. The team has collaborated with Middle-earth Enterprises, Peter Jackson and the artists at Weta Workshop to ensure that the settings, characters and story align authentically within canon. For more information, visit www.ShadowofMordor.com, Facebook.com/ShadowofMordor and Twitter.com/Middleearthgame.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 17, 2013, 07:09 Ant

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 13:49:
Oh come on now, Tron 2.0 was awesome!
It was decent. I only played its demo.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 13, 2013, 18:01 Quinn

I'm actually excited about this. A third person action RPG set in an explorable middle-earth! Lets see what they got for us! Evidently I'm not as bitter and jaded as most of you, which is a pleasant realization before bedtime!  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

28. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 13, 2013, 01:19 Jerykk

NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 13:45:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 12:29:
NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:44:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:40:
Monolith aren't what they once were...

Monolith has made more shit games than good ones even since the very beginning. Their batting average hasn't changed.

That's not really true at all. What shit games have they made? Blood 2 and that LOTR MOBA come to mind. Some might include Gotham City Imposters. How many good games have they made? Blood, Shogo, NOLF, NOLF2, AVP2, FEAR and even FEAR2. They've definitely made more good games than bad.

Condemned, Condemned 2, Gotham City Imposters, Guardians of Middle Earth, Matrix Online, that one crap Tron game, and there was the one with Ice-T. Probably some I'm forgetting. But the shit games were interspersed throughout their life, so I don't think their batting average has changed at all.

Condemned was great. Never played the sequel but I heard it was pretty solid (it also has an 80 average on Metacritic). Tron 2.0 was definitely good. Sanity was decent.

Really, I think your definition of "shit" could use some refinement. The majority of Monolith's work has been at least solid, with some games being great.

The big problem is that WB is just using Monolith to pump out LotR games now, which is a waste of their talents. This new game could very well be decent but I'd much rather see another NOLF or Blood game.

27. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 21:02 Xenovore

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 13:28:
Middle-earth: Shovelware of Mordor.
Exactly. This is just a money-grab. ANd the description doesn't even fit with the lore of Tolkien's Middle-Earth; a Ranger with wraith abilities because he's possessed by some spirit? Total bullshit.

26. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 20:29 PropheT

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 18:01:
Doesn't help that the story sounds so cliché that even reading about it bored me to death.. twice. I was ressurected by a dancing pony though, with only condition that I not buy this game. I agreed!

I thought it sounded pretty cool when I pictured a LOTR version of Skyrim and was disappointed when I read that you play as a specific ranger guy that's totally not Aragorn.

Will have to see what they come up with, but since it's probably going up against Dragon Age: Inquisition in the same time frame another scenario like when War in the North came out seems likely.

25. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 20:21 Fantaz

Monolith should make more Monolith games...  

24. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 19:32 HorrorScope

I can get more media/insight of a Kickstarter game.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2013, 19:44.

23. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 18:23 Numinar

Condemned 1+2 are awesome, or at least were on the 360.

What this license really needs is some tech From Chivalry, a AAA budget, and a structure something akin to Baldurs Gate and Dead Islands lovechild and some kind of Total War abstraction to mimic huge battles along with the more adventury stuff. 6 player co-op free roam, without the banal cookie cutter zone system of Borderlands. Something more personal like a Skyrim or Ultima Underworld.

Hmmmmm... could almost be a kickstarter... how much is that license?

22. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 18:04 Ray Ban

Indeed it was.

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

21. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 18:01 eRe4s3r

Doesn't help that the story sounds so cliché that even reading about it bored me to death.. twice. I was ressurected by a dancing pony though, with only condition that I not buy this game. I agreed!  

20. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 17:37 Alamar

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:48:
For a second I thought this was a Mordor expansion for LOTRO. Third person game, hmmm...

On a sidenote, LOTR War in the North is actually a really good game. If you can get that on sale this december, I definitely recommend it. I had a great time playing through that around four times.

Why wait for December... It's on for 6 more days at humble...

-Alamar

19. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 17:11 Agent.X7

I only worry about LotR stuff because I have seen what suddenly opening the floodgates can do to an IP. Star Wars? Timothy Zahn did an excellent job with the first book series. Of course, he had Lucas watching over his shoulder and a bible of things he could and could not do. After that Lucas pretty much decided he no longer cared enough to oversee any of it and the shit started dribbling out. It's so diluted and most of it is complete hack work.

Sure, PJ took liberties with the movies, but a lot of it is from the appendices of LotR and he just expanded those a bit to make a brilliant set of films. War in the North wasn't bad, but now are we going to start seeing them flail the Middle Earth properties into crap? Check it, this guy died and now he is like a badass ringwraith, but a good guy! Oh FFS, what's next? Darth Vader's...er, Sauron's Apprentice? BARF!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

18. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 16:27 ForgedReality

Angrius Maximis wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 12:27:
"Hey guys isnt there a Hobbit movie coming out?"

"I think so"

"ok lets make another generic hack and slash 3rd person Middle Earth game that will be a shitty console port"

"im on it"

Hehe... One guy working on it. That's probably about accurate.

17. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 16:25 Creston

Ash wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 15:31:
In fact, I rarely read anything positive in these comments at all.
Makes me wonder why I keep checking them...

Well, I'm glad you posted to let us know that. The world is a much better place for it.

16. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 15:41 Burrito of Peace

It was awesome and I go back and play it to this day on occasion. The haters can sit and rotate on a logic probe.  

15. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 15:31 Ash

Cutter, along with the other members of the old ladies club, crucify everything and everyone under the sun.
Pay no heed to them.
In fact, I rarely read anything positive in these comments at all.
Makes me wonder why I keep checking them...

14. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 15:05 Gadzooks

if its got co-op over the net, ill bite.  

13. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 14:39 Creston

NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 14:17:

Meh. Mehhhhhhhhhh.

12. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 14:17 NKD

Meh. Mehhhhhhhhhh.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 14:05 KS

Well, can't access the site -- you must be over 18 and the year menu will not slide down past 2012 on my Android phone with 2.3.6 which tens of millions are stuck with.  

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo