Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt

Codemasters confirms via Twitter that DIRT 3 is another game that will transition to Steamworks for multiplayer support with the unlamented death of Games for Windows LIVE (thanks PC Gamer). This may not get the green flag until next year, however, as they say: "We are working on it but it may not be until the new year."

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 28, 2013, 02:51 Jerykk

Ladron3dfx wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:57:
nin wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 12:08:
I want DR2:OTR fixed, dammit!

To say that it should be fixed implies that it's broken somehow and nothing could further from the truth. GFWL work perfectly in both DR2 & DR2:OTR, there are 50 achievements in each game and I have 35 achievements in each. Trust me, it works. Wink

death of Games for Windows LIVE

uh huh.. Nice

You've obviously never tried moving your GFWL saves from one PC to another. GFWL brilliantly links your saves to your GFWL account and encrypts them with a unique key that's regenerated whenever you install GFWL. So, even if you manage to find and copy your saves over, they won't work with the new installation of GFWL. It's great stuff, really.

And on top of that, GFWL is bloated, slow and unintuitive. Why do I need to use an online profile to buy and play DLC? Why do I have to login to GFWL every time I launch a game? Why is my GFWL account the same as my Windows Live account, which is notorious for becoming inaccessible whenever MS randomly resets your password?

I find it remarkable that you constantly criticize Steam yet praise GFWL. At least be consistent.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 13, 2013, 08:50 Mad Max RW

SlimRam wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 01:29:
ForgedReality wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:34:
Origin is fucking HORRIBLE. You're on crack.
Does anybody still smoke crack?

....I mean besides my Mom

The mayor of Toronto.

28. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 13, 2013, 08:39 nin

SlimRam wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 01:29:

Beck does. But based on his lyrics, that's hardly surprising.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

27. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 13, 2013, 01:29 SlimRam

I am Susan Ivanova. Daughter of Andre & Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance & the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth. I am death incarnate, & the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me

26. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 13, 2013, 01:14 Clever Caviar

fiftykyu wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 20:04:
Clever Caviar wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:42:
fiftykyu wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:22:
Maybe if I praise that sun hard enough From Software will notice their game uses GFWL...

\[T]/

I'm trying to find it now, but I'm sure I saw a Steam depot of them trialling *something.* Could have been a patch to increase GFWL, or something else, but it was a dev/beta depot.

That sounds familiar. There was an update last month which added some anti-hacker stuff taken from a previous PS3 patch - i.e. no more teleporting or stat draining weapons, and free level-ups at a bonfire for people who'd been drained previously. Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Actually it was great, for about a day there were no hackers or cheaters, just people playing and having a good time. Didn't last...

that might have been this I was thinking of. They had and then removed a beta branch.

::
Rockstar made $1 billion in 3 days with GTAV, yet they can't find the budget to port RDR to PC.

25. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 13, 2013, 01:03 Clever Caviar

ochentay4 wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:57:
HoSpanky wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:05:
Ehh, calm down ochentay. While GFWL is a problem for many (it absolutely breaks your savegame in Dirt2 if you play multiplayer), the achievements are part of Xbox gamercards, and to be locked out of getting a 100% on a game, forever, sucks. And before you start typing about how this is a pc-elitist news site, the big thing people should be looking at is this is how it will be done every time a service dies. I believe Origin will stick around, it's actually a decent interface. But Uplay and the 50 other download services out there won't all survive. And the games on those will have to be converted, likely losing save files, or possibly lost entirely.

While I'm kind of glad GFWL is being killed, multiple games that I love are saddled with it and may not be updated. Red Faction Guerilla is a fantastic game, and while you can play single player and LAN play with a .dll bypass, you can't play it online. And I'm not sure how Iron Brigade will shake out either, which would be a terrible shame.

No matter if it was for the better, it sucks to be working toward a goal and have it taken away with little to no warning. And while I don't understand those that hate steam (those that do, WHY do you hate it? I'm curious. You just say it sucks and don't back that up with WHY), if you buy a game that explicitly doesn't require something you dislike, then it's forced in later...I can see where people could get pissy about that. Think if it went the other way around, eh? Buy a game on steam, and when you're 3/4 thru it, they add GFWL to it and break your savegames.
Yeah I was harsh with that guy, but complaining that G4WL was taken out without prior notice is just dumb. Lost savegames? He was lucky he didnt lost savegames USING G4WL like many other suffered.

I lost my GTA4 save games thanks to GFWL. That sucked. BioShock 2 never worked for me till I used an offline profile, it kept crashing on the first level. That sucked. I also had some real "fun" with Arkham Asylum and GFWL not recognising my system setup (had to swap controllers or something daft.) That sucked. I'll be glad when that horrendous layer goes away. As I know it is going the way of the dodo, it's putting me off buying games like RF:Guerilla, which I've heard is a good game.

I did 'lose' my save games for the Arkhams, well, I couldn't be bothered with the hexmagic, so I took the opportunity to play them again. Oddly, I didn't lose my save games with BioShock 2. Both were played with a local profile, or whatever the name is in GFWL land.

Rockstar made $1 billion in 3 days with GTAV, yet they can't find the budget to port RDR to PC.

24. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 20:04 fiftykyu

Clever Caviar wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:42:
Maybe if I praise that sun hard enough From Software will notice their game uses GFWL...

\[T]/

I'm trying to find it now, but I'm sure I saw a Steam depot of them trialling *something.* Could have been a patch to increase GFWL, or something else, but it was a dev/beta depot.

That sounds familiar. There was an update last month which added some anti-hacker stuff taken from a previous PS3 patch - i.e. no more teleporting or stat draining weapons, and free level-ups at a bonfire for people who'd been drained previously. Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Actually it was great, for about a day there were no hackers or cheaters, just people playing and having a good time. Didn't last...

23. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 19:52 ForgedReality

Quboid wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:56:
I quite like Steam. I actually quite like Origin, it does the main things well (i.e. it's fast and it generally stays out of sight). ForgedReality, are you joking? You followed a post that mentions contentless criticism of Steam with contentless criticism of Origin so I'm not sure.

I don't like how Origin's server browser, and 99% of its UI is done in the browser. Why do I have Origin installed if it's just going to (inefficiently) use my browser? It doesn't always work the way it should and it can be quite cumbersome to utilize. It would be better if it offered some sort of in-game overlay at least, like Steam's shift+tab. I hate using Origin because it's just a hassle, but it's the only way to play BF3 (the only Origin game I own).

22. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 17:54 ochentay4

Quboid wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 17:14:
Im a gamer and I couldnt care less about Achievements/Trhopies.

Neither do I, but someone having a different opinion doesn't mean they couldn't be more stupid.
Yeah you are right. I just hate people who complain when something great like G4WL removal happens.

21. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 17:14 Quboid

Im a gamer and I couldnt care less about Achievements/Trhopies.

Neither do I, but someone having a different opinion doesn't mean they couldn't be more stupid.

- Quboid

20. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 16:57 ochentay4

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:05:
Ehh, calm down ochentay. While GFWL is a problem for many (it absolutely breaks your savegame in Dirt2 if you play multiplayer), the achievements are part of Xbox gamercards, and to be locked out of getting a 100% on a game, forever, sucks. And before you start typing about how this is a pc-elitist news site, the big thing people should be looking at is this is how it will be done every time a service dies. I believe Origin will stick around, it's actually a decent interface. But Uplay and the 50 other download services out there won't all survive. And the games on those will have to be converted, likely losing save files, or possibly lost entirely.

While I'm kind of glad GFWL is being killed, multiple games that I love are saddled with it and may not be updated. Red Faction Guerilla is a fantastic game, and while you can play single player and LAN play with a .dll bypass, you can't play it online. And I'm not sure how Iron Brigade will shake out either, which would be a terrible shame.

No matter if it was for the better, it sucks to be working toward a goal and have it taken away with little to no warning. And while I don't understand those that hate steam (those that do, WHY do you hate it? I'm curious. You just say it sucks and don't back that up with WHY), if you buy a game that explicitly doesn't require something you dislike, then it's forced in later...I can see where people could get pissy about that. Think if it went the other way around, eh? Buy a game on steam, and when you're 3/4 thru it, they add GFWL to it and break your savegames.
Yeah I was harsh with that guy, but complaining that G4WL was taken out without prior notice is just dumb. Lost savegames? He was lucky he didnt lost savegames USING G4WL like many other suffered. Who the fuck cares about an inclomplete gamercard for G4WL? Im a gamer and I couldnt care less about Achievements/Trhopies. Who cares for gamesaves for a game which was converted to use the better platform/system? All I say, G4WL is one of the worst ings that happened for PC gamers last years and all news regarding its replacement/removal are great. I still find funny that Windows is the platform of choice for PC gamers and Microsoft keeps on fucking with us with its nonexistent support, crappy games, crappy client, crappy damned app store (Im looking at you Win8!)
Im grateful for Steam (got almost 1000 games!!!), but Im not a PC elitist. Im a gamer. Plain and simple. I have bought and played almost all platforms since I was 2 years, and to this day I possess a PS Vita, 360, PS3 and a Wii, which In my country they cost 6x of the price of US/EU. And I assure you despite many fun hours I had with the 360 I now hate it for many reasons. Microsoft sucks so much I cant believe it. XBone will suck so bad on top of Win8 which is crap (and I say this as a gamer, as a pc consumer and as a IT Network admnistrator). All Microsoft decision seem to be made by someone who wish Microsoft to die, which I for sure dont as competition is always good.

19. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 16:57 Ladron3dfx

nin wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 12:08:
I want DR2:OTR fixed, dammit!

To say that it should be fixed implies that it's broken somehow and nothing could further from the truth. GFWL work perfectly in both DR2 & DR2:OTR, there are 50 achievements in each game and I have 35 achievements in each. Trust me, it works. Wink

death of Games for Windows LIVE

uh huh.. Nice

Steamworks

18. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 16:56 Quboid

ochentay4 wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 14:46:
TheWeaponeer wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 14:23:
I lost all of my Batman save data (from my retail copies of Arkham Asylum, AA GOTY, Arkham City, and AC GOTY - yup, all FOUR of them), and I was furious for days because of that. I was slowly working my way through AC GOTY under GFWL and now that is gone.
You couldnt be more stupid. You should really thank WB and 2K for removing this piece of crap software the fastest they could. It was garbage from the beggining. Also, we all Blues users knew about it before it was available. Go cry a river.

You mess with a man's save games without notification and you are not going to be popular. As much as I like seeing GFWL die, that's just shitty and I don't know why you have such a problem.

I quite like Steam. I actually quite like Origin, it does the main things well (i.e. it's fast and it generally stays out of sight). ForgedReality, are you joking? You followed a post that mentions contentless criticism of Steam with contentless criticism of Origin so I'm not sure.

- Quboid

17. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 16:54 Clever Caviar

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 12:04:
My only gfMFwl concern left is Red Faction:Guerilla. And since its publisher has gone belly up, I'm going to guess that we'll be fucked come next year

the way I see it is this. The *only* reason most of these publishers have any sort of long term strategy and visibility on their catalogue is thanks to online shops, ala Steam, GMG, GOG, Gamersgate etc. To hold their hands in the air and say "well gee, GFWL is coming to an end, let's kill it I guess" isn't an option. Nordic, or whoever, is almost certainly looking into it because why the hell would they not want to: sell it, use it to encourage you to buy the next franchise addition, throw it in free because you bought the next franchise addition, etc.

Catalogue, on its own, may not be some big selling draw (for various reasons, we can bore ourselves silly if the thread goes that way), but it is powerful for publishers to use to augment campaigns on new material. Take BioShock: how many "buy Infinite, get 1+2 for free" did you see? and on other brands also? It's trivially easy for publishers to put together these kinds of packs, *if*, the software works well enough to be sellable.

I'll be curious to see which publishers are actually dumb enough to let their catalogue/future marketing opportunities go to waste.

16. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 16:42 Clever Caviar

\[T]/

15. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 16:34 ForgedReality

14. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 16:05 HoSpanky

13. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 14:46 ochentay4

TheWeaponeer wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 14:23:
As one of the few long-term GFWL players, I figured this would be coming soon enough. Thanks to Codemasters (and Capcom as well with their titles) for giving me a timeframe to plan around rather than pulling a dick move like what Warner Brothers and 2K did; simply switching everything over with no stated timeframe of doing so. Nope, no official announcements like this - they just switched them over and THEN posted an announcement about the actual change over. You have no idea how badly that screwed me and my game library up. I lost all of my Batman save data (from my retail copies of Arkham Asylum, AA GOTY, Arkham City, and AC GOTY - yup, all FOUR of them), and I was furious for days because of that. I was slowly working my way through AC GOTY under GFWL and now that is gone.

Because of that, neither 2K or WB gets upfront money from me anymore. EVER. Either 75%+ off MSRP through "servies" or USED from Gamestop. I can understand doing it for Steam - but killing my retail copies was completely unfair to me and others like me. Remember, GFWL titles are part of my Gamer Card history on the 360 and now I can not access some of my titles to work on that because of this. That IS a bad thing.

And before anyone says this was the best way, I got two words for you - TOY SOLIDERS. That is the one game on Steam that did this issue right. As for From and Dark Souls, I hope they are more like Capcom and Codemasters in this case than Warner Brothers and 2K.

/rant comment - I know, I KNOW, most people won't care about this and how it affects me, Steam rules blah blah blah, so spare me your keystrokes and smarky replies concering that. My copies are retail discs, and like you guys who will not touch anything non-Steam, I should have a right to play a game under whatever "service" I chose to support a game under. Let it now be known that a situtation like this does do damage to legitimate game owners and users - especially those who like retail copies over "services". There are gamers out there who really do not like Steam (we are few but we DO exist - Valve as a company leaves a lot to be desired), and these change overs seem to cater more to people waiting to buy the games for pennies on the dollar on sale more than those who went out and bought the games new when it mattered to their bottom line. I know exactly the kind of response I will probably receive to this post; but understand one day this might happen to each and every one of you too... pray that it never does. /end rant comment
You couldnt be more stupid. You should really thank WB and 2K for removing this piece of crap software the fastest they could. It was garbage from the beggining. Also, we all Blues users knew about it before it was available. Go cry a river.

12. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 14:41 Krovven

TheWeaponeer, check the Steam Hub for the Batman games. Assuming you haven't formatted your drive, there are file locations & utilities to convert the saves for the games to the new versions.

11. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 14:23 TheWeaponeer

As one of the few long-term GFWL players, I figured this would be coming soon enough. Thanks to Codemasters (and Capcom as well with their titles) for giving me a timeframe to plan around rather than pulling a dick move like what Warner Brothers and 2K did; simply switching everything over with no stated timeframe of doing so. Nope, no official announcements like this - they just switched them over and THEN posted an announcement about the actual change over. You have no idea how badly that screwed me and my game library up. I lost all of my Batman save data (from my retail copies of Arkham Asylum, AA GOTY, Arkham City, and AC GOTY - yup, all FOUR of them), and I was furious for days because of that. I was slowly working my way through AC GOTY under GFWL and now that is gone.

Because of that, neither 2K or WB gets upfront money from me anymore. EVER. Either 75%+ off MSRP through "servies" or USED from Gamestop. I can understand doing it for Steam - but killing my retail copies was completely unfair to me and others like me. Remember, GFWL titles are part of my Gamer Card history on the 360 and now I can not access some of my titles to work on that because of this. That IS a bad thing.

And before anyone says this was the best way, I got two words for you - TOY SOLIDERS. That is the one game on Steam that did this issue right. As for From and Dark Souls, I hope they are more like Capcom and Codemasters in this case than Warner Brothers and 2K.

/rant comment - I know, I KNOW, most people won't care about this and how it affects me, Steam rules blah blah blah, so spare me your keystrokes and smarky replies concering that. My copies are retail discs, and like you guys who will not touch anything non-Steam, I should have a right to play a game under whatever "service" I chose to support a game under. Let it now be known that a situtation like this does do damage to legitimate game owners and users - especially those who like retail copies over "services". There are gamers out there who really do not like Steam (we are few but we DO exist - Valve as a company leaves a lot to be desired), and these change overs seem to cater more to people waiting to buy the games for pennies on the dollar on sale more than those who went out and bought the games new when it mattered to their bottom line. I know exactly the kind of response I will probably receive to this post; but understand one day this might happen to each and every one of you too... pray that it never does. /end rant comment

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo