Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within

XCOM: Enemy Within is now available for Windows in North America, expanding the throwback counter-UFO strategy of XCOM: Enemy Unknown with new content (available on consoles as the standalone XCOM: Enemy Within – Commander Edition). 2K Games confirms the add-on, which requires the original game, will be released internationally on Friday, and outlines what it offers:

In XCOM: Enemy Within, players can modify their soldiers genetically to enhance their operatives’ abilities or transform their soldiers into cybernetic warriors. These new abilities and units are imperative to combat two new aliens, the Mechtoid and the Seeker. In addition to new aliens, XCOM: Enemy Within adds a new threat known as EXALT, an underground human organization set on disrupting XCOM operations and taking control of Earth. XCOM: Enemy Within also includes an array of new maps, abilities, upgrades and weapons across both single player and multiplayer.

“XCOM: Enemy Within continues the tradition of robust expansion packs from Firaxis Games,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “With an incredible amount of new content, XCOM: Enemy Within is the definitive way to play last year’s best strategy game.”

“The number one thing our fans asked for after we released XCOM: Enemy Unknown was more maps,” said Ananda Gupta, lead designer at Firaxis Games. “In XCOM: Enemy Within, we’re giving players nearly 50% more maps in addition to a massive amount of other new content, providing nearly limitless replayability for XCOM commanders to enjoy.”

Key features for XCOM: Enemy Within include:

• New Soldier Abilities: Research a new alien technology to advance the capabilities of operatives:
    • Gene Mods: Construct the Genetics Lab to physically enhance operatives’ abilities, including augmentations to the chest, brain, eyes, skin and legs;
    • MECs: Build the Cybernetics Lab to enable the construction of the new Mechanized Exoskeletal Cybersuit, or MEC. The new MEC Trooper class has specialized abilities and each suit can be upgraded with new weapons including the flamethrower, grenade launcher and more.
  • New Weapons and Equipment: Give operatives an extra tactical edge with new projects from the engineering team in the Foundry;
  • New Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from new enemies, including the Mechtoid, the Seeker and an organization known as EXALT, a group of humans sympathetic to the alien cause;
  • New Strategic Resource: A valuable new alien resource, known as Meld, has been discovered. Secure it on the battlefield and use it carefully back at base to unlock new research and upgrades;
  • New Tactical Challenges and Maps: Face new tactical challenges, on nearly 50% more maps;
  • New Story Elements: Recover a mysterious new weapon in Operation Progeny, investigate a terrifying threat in an abandoned fishing village, and defend the XCOM headquarters from alien attack in a series of new plot-driven missions;
  • New Multiplayer Maps, Units and Abilities: Create custom squads from a wider array of options and dominate opponents in intense, one-on-one, turn-based matches;
  • New Second Wave Options: A number of new gameplay modifiers including the option to enable random soldier abilities means no XCOM squad need ever be the same again.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

59. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 15, 2013, 01:05 dj LiTh

Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2013, 18:53:
Played an absolutely AWESOME mission contained within the expansion today (spoilers, obviously.)

You get sent to a deserted fishing village. Turns out the village isn't deserted, it's been crysalid'ed. When you find the source of the Crysalid infection, it keeps spawning crysalids every round, and you need to reach a transponder to call in an airstrike. That in and of itself is already cool.

But once you hit the transponder, you have 8 turns to reach the evac site or die. While crysalids are chasing you and trying to cut you off. Holy shit, the fucking TERROR in this mission. I'd let my Mech unit do a rear-guard action, because his fist of doom kills a crysalid instantly. So with 3 turns left, he's surrounded by 3 crysalids, and even though he can handle 2 blows just about, 3 would kill him. And more were on the way. Rest of the squad is basically one move away from the evac point.

I debate letting the mech guy die and sacrifice himself for his squaddies, but then I decide to take a risk. I set up my squad exactly one move away from the evac point, then put them on overwatch, and let my mech run to within a few steps of them.

3 Crysalids come after him, and are absolutely pulverized by 5 people on overwatch (I had laser rifles). Oh, it was glorious. Evac'ed in the last turn.

AWEEESSOOOMMEEEE MISSION!

Nice! I just did that mission myself and am now a little ways past it. Its a very enjoyable one to say the least. I've just encountered Exalt and have done a few of those missions, those are also really cool :).

So far this expansion is living up to the quality of the the base game

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 14, 2013, 18:53 Creston

Played an absolutely AWESOME mission contained within the expansion today (spoilers, obviously.)

You get sent to a deserted fishing village. Turns out the village isn't deserted, it's been crysalid'ed. When you find the source of the Crysalid infection, it keeps spawning crysalids every round, and you need to reach a transponder to call in an airstrike. That in and of itself is already cool.

But once you hit the transponder, you have 8 turns to reach the evac site or die. While crysalids are chasing you and trying to cut you off. Holy shit, the fucking TERROR in this mission. I'd let my Mech unit do a rear-guard action, because his fist of doom kills a crysalid instantly. So with 3 turns left, he's surrounded by 3 crysalids, and even though he can handle 2 blows just about, 3 would kill him. And more were on the way. Rest of the squad is basically one move away from the evac point.

I debate letting the mech guy die and sacrifice himself for his squaddies, but then I decide to take a risk. I set up my squad exactly one move away from the evac point, then put them on overwatch, and let my mech run to within a few steps of them.

3 Crysalids come after him, and are absolutely pulverized by 5 people on overwatch (I had laser rifles). Oh, it was glorious. Evac'ed in the last turn.

AWEEESSOOOMMEEEE MISSION!

57. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 20:22 jimnms

InBlack wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 06:52:
jimnms wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 05:06:
Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:50:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:00:
I did not get this expansion (canceled this preorder as well ) but I still had a 4Gb patch to download last night.
Not sure if they've made some changes to the main game as well?

They did. They fixed some bugs (teleport bug amongst others), made some optimizations (apparently) and I think the changes for the RNG were ported over to the original game as well.

Has there been an official patch notes detailing what was fixed? I never finished the game because it bugged out on me. I was getting conflicting hit chances depending on what I was looking at. The target icons on the bottom of the screen would show one value while when in targeting to take the shot I got another value. At first it was only effecting one particular soldier, then it spread to others and eventually my whole team. At first it was just only showing 1% chance on the icons, but seemed to be showing the correct percentage in targeting mode. Then it started showing two different values, so I had no idea which one was right.

I also had a soldier that was a reward for a mission that was bugged. He was a high ranked sniper, which I gave him squad sight. No matter what, he never had a shot at anything, it was like he was blind and couldn't see them, even when an enemy was in the open right in front of him.

I'll try firing this up this weekend and see if it fixed my game. I really hope I don't have to start over. While I made some regrettable decisions, with it being my first game, I think I was doing good and wanted to play it out.

Squad sight was bugged, but they fixed that in the first patch for the game.

I didn't buy the game on release. This is the first time since I bought it that I've seen a patch for it.

Steam Profile

56. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 15:31 dj LiTh

Harlequin wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 13:59:
fiftykyu wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 19:45:
So I'll take the convenience and the discount, thank you very much.

Enjoy that half a latte of savings, I am sure you'll have a night on the town with it...

Enjoy wasting your money for absolutely no reason.

55. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 14:21 Creston

Harlequin wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 19:03:
Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 14:42:
Big negative so far: The first council mission is STILL the "save general van doorn" on the busted up bridge. Shit, you couldn't randomize that, Firaxis?? Ugh. I must have played this same fucking mission at least 15 times now already.

It IS random my first council mission wasn't that. Just happenstance you got it.

Started a new game, and I can confirm that. Got a different mission this time (and on a new map to boot.)

I've seen several more really cool new maps, but I've also already seen a map twice, just with a different starting position.

54. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 13:59 Harlequin

So I'll take the convenience and the discount, thank you very much.

Enjoy that half a latte of savings, I am sure you'll have a night on the town with it...

53. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 12:24 SpectralMeat

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 12:05:
.net_Drifter wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 20:51:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 18:49:
Will W wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:00:
Damn, missed that 25% off X Rebirth code. That's what I was waiting for on a purchase....guess I'll have to wait for the next one.

http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/download-x-rebirth/5006750
Code: GFDNOV20

Code doesn't seem to work, price still 49.99 after applying the code.
That sucks. It worked earlier.
Hopefully the gmg code will work again or they will enable the code I posted.
There is no reason at all why it shouldn't work.
Maybe send customer support an e-mail and see what they say.
The code works on all other games except on X-Rebirth for some reason even though that code worked for me when I've picked it up a day earlier.
Just to add to this conversation, I think something is wrong with the code.
If you go to the main site and click on the eligible titles for this code X-Rebirth is on the list.
X-Come enemy within is also on the list and just to try I added it to my cart applied the coupon and the price stayed the same.
Try it again later today I bet they will fix it, but I will send them an e-mail pointing out the problem anyways

Steam: SpectralMeat

52. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 12:16 Beamer

Creston wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 12:01:
I don't trust IronMan mode. It's possible to get utterly, completely stuck in several of the main battles due to scripts not starting, and I'm not losing 30 hours of playthrough over it.

I love the difficulty in battle of Classic and Impossible (though I hate the cheats the aliens get), but it's the retardedness of the Geoscape that pisses me off. You have exactly one possible build order to try to stave off defeat and any deviation from that build order means you're fucked.

That's not gameplay, that's pedantery.

I had a mod that simply disabled the entire fucking panic mechanism, which made for a much more enjoyable way of playing, because it allowed you to make choises on what to build and where to focus attention. Made it about halfway through Impossible that way, until a pair of Mutons wiped out four of my star troopers in two rounds. It was incredible. I wanted to recruit them to MY team.

Well, there is a way to quicksave or backup in Impossible - alt/tab out and copy the savegame file.

I never hit any of the bugs, guess I was lucky in my two playthroughs.
I only sort of know the building issue you mean. My first playthrough I fumbled since I didn't know the mechanics (still did fine, but towards the end I was cutting it close with money issues.) My second playthrough was on Easy, where you need to try to screw up. But I saw how it becomes less about strategy and more about a required formula.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

51. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 12:05 SpectralMeat

.net_Drifter wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 20:51:
Damn, missed that 25% off X Rebirth code. That's what I was waiting for on a purchase....guess I'll have to wait for the next one.

That sucks. It worked earlier.
Hopefully the gmg code will work again or they will enable the code I posted.
There is no reason at all why it shouldn't work.
Maybe send customer support an e-mail and see what they say.
The code works on all other games except on X-Rebirth for some reason even though that code worked for me when I've picked it up a day earlier.

50. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 12:01 Creston

I don't trust IronMan mode. It's possible to get utterly, completely stuck in several of the main battles due to scripts not starting, and I'm not losing 30 hours of playthrough over it.

I love the difficulty in battle of Classic and Impossible (though I hate the cheats the aliens get), but it's the retardedness of the Geoscape that pisses me off. You have exactly one possible build order to try to stave off defeat and any deviation from that build order means you're fucked.

That's not gameplay, that's pedantery.

I had a mod that simply disabled the entire fucking panic mechanism, which made for a much more enjoyable way of playing, because it allowed you to make choices on what to build and where to focus attention. Made it about halfway through Impossible that way, until a pair of Mutons wiped out four of my star troopers in two rounds. It was incredible. I wanted to recruit them to MY team.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2013, 12:29.

49. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 11:29 SpectralMeat

Ok guys stop talking about this game already, I can't afford to buy more games I have no time to play !!

48. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 11:16 dj LiTh

Beamer wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 11:09:
dj LiTh wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 09:14:
I did not get this expansion (canceled this preorder as well ) but I still had a 4Gb patch to download last night.

They did. They fixed some bugs (teleport bug amongst others), made some optimizations (apparently) and I think the changes for the RNG were ported over to the original game as well.

Has there been an official patch notes detailing what was fixed? I never finished the game because it bugged out on me. I was getting conflicting hit chances depending on what I was looking at. The target icons on the bottom of the screen would show one value while when in targeting to take the shot I got another value. At first it was only effecting one particular soldier, then it spread to others and eventually my whole team. At first it was just only showing 1% chance on the icons, but seemed to be showing the correct percentage in targeting mode. Then it started showing two different values, so I had no idea which one was right.

I also had a soldier that was a reward for a mission that was bugged. He was a high ranked sniper, which I gave him squad sight. No matter what, he never had a shot at anything, it was like he was blind and couldn't see them, even when an enemy was in the open right in front of him.

I'll try firing this up this weekend and see if it fixed my game. I really hope I don't have to start over. While I made some regrettable decisions, with it being my first game, I think I was doing good and wanted to play it out.

If your save is from within the Geoscope/base then i'd say its probably good, if its from inside a battle then everything is probably already locked in until you fire up another. Anyways with Enemy Within you have to start a new campaign anyways so i'm sure just starting a new campaign with or without EW would fix it for sure. Its weird to hear of bugs in Xcom, as i've never seen one (not even the teleporting enemy one? Never saw it in 4 play throughs).

That aside, EW is worth it to anyone that liked EU. Its a ton more stuff already added to a great game. I'm really digging the medals and genetics augmentations, havent even delved into the MEC's (big giant robot things) yet. I'm playing on Classic (which i think is a must for anyone), with all the second wave options except for the Save scum one and the random abilities. So far its been awesome! Highly recommended!

My first playthrough was on Classic.
I'd say Ironman is more important than Classic. You can do both, of course, and I will for my next playthrough. Ironman on Easy was too easy (like I said, 1 unit lost, and it was a fluke), but losing the ability to quick-load and quick-save made me play in a very different way. It made me a better player that thought more about it. On my Classic playthrough I wouldn't say I abused Quick-save and Quickload, but I definitely took far more chances, particularly with scouting.

I know that, if I don't do EW in Ironman, I'll probably quickload my way to getting the goop at the start of the missions 90% of the time.

I absolutely agree about Ironman mode, my first play through i like the option of saving and loading on classic just so i can get through the campaign once, after that its nothing but Impossible or Classic Ironman play throughs. I wouldnt even dare to think how easy mode easy is, as normal is like very easy mode and Classic is like Hard mode.

47. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 11:09 Beamer

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 09:14:

If your save is from within the Geoscope/base then i'd say its probably good, if its from inside a battle then everything is probably already locked in until you fire up another. Anyways with Enemy Within you have to start a new campaign anyways so i'm sure just starting a new campaign with or without EW would fix it for sure. Its weird to hear of bugs in Xcom, as i've never seen one (not even the teleporting enemy one? Never saw it in 4 play throughs).

That aside, EW is worth it to anyone that liked EU. Its a ton more stuff already added to a great game. I'm really digging the medals and genetics augmentations, havent even delved into the MEC's (big giant robot things) yet. I'm playing on Classic (which i think is a must for anyone), with all the second wave options except for the Save scum one and the random abilities. So far its been awesome! Highly recommended!

My first playthrough was on Classic.
I'd say Ironman is more important than Classic. You can do both, of course, and I will for my next playthrough. Ironman on Easy was too easy (like I said, 1 unit lost, and it was a fluke), but losing the ability to quick-load and quick-save made me play in a very different way. It made me a better player that thought more about it. On my Classic playthrough I wouldn't say I abused Quick-save and Quickload, but I definitely took far more chances, particularly with scouting.

I know that, if I don't do EW in Ironman, I'll probably quickload my way to getting the goop at the start of the missions 90% of the time.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 09:14 dj LiTh

45. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 06:52 InBlack

Squad sight was bugged, but they fixed that in the first patch for the game.

I have a nifty blue line!

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 05:06 jimnms

Steam Profile

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 04:19 InBlack

Oh fun times! Im not sure I have the time to play this right now. But fun times indeed. Im waiting for X Rebirth right now, Ive watched some combat videos and the combat seems much improved from the previous titles. Still, gonna wait for some reviews and especially from what people on Blues are going to say. If X turns out as bland as its predecesors, Im getting this and not looking back.  

I have a nifty blue line!

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 22:48 Tanto Edge

Prez wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 19:37:
Having played both games extensively I'd still have to say that I preferred the randomized maps of the original, limitations and all. You never knew what was in the shadows even after hundreds of hours of playing. Blander visually, but more exciting. At least for me.
this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 22:46 dj LiTh

Harlequin wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 18:58:
dj LiTh wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:26:
Harlequin wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:19:
Why not just buy it though steam it's what I did...?

Cause its cheaper and you get a 6$ GMG credit. Some people like to save money, and its working now btw.

If by 'saving' you mean you saved enough for half a latte at Starbucks then I'll pay the extra couple of bucks for convenience since I already have a Stream account.

Umm, not to spoil your fun, but it's a Steamworks game. Buy directly from Steam, or buy the game elsewhere, you'll only be playing on Steam. So I'll take the convenience and the discount, thank you very much.

40. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 20:51 .Drifter

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo