Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within

XCOM: Enemy Within is now available for Windows in North America, expanding the throwback counter-UFO strategy of XCOM: Enemy Unknown with new content (available on consoles as the standalone XCOM: Enemy Within – Commander Edition). 2K Games confirms the add-on, which requires the original game, will be released internationally on Friday, and outlines what it offers:

In XCOM: Enemy Within, players can modify their soldiers genetically to enhance their operatives’ abilities or transform their soldiers into cybernetic warriors. These new abilities and units are imperative to combat two new aliens, the Mechtoid and the Seeker. In addition to new aliens, XCOM: Enemy Within adds a new threat known as EXALT, an underground human organization set on disrupting XCOM operations and taking control of Earth. XCOM: Enemy Within also includes an array of new maps, abilities, upgrades and weapons across both single player and multiplayer.

“XCOM: Enemy Within continues the tradition of robust expansion packs from Firaxis Games,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “With an incredible amount of new content, XCOM: Enemy Within is the definitive way to play last year’s best strategy game.”

“The number one thing our fans asked for after we released XCOM: Enemy Unknown was more maps,” said Ananda Gupta, lead designer at Firaxis Games. “In XCOM: Enemy Within, we’re giving players nearly 50% more maps in addition to a massive amount of other new content, providing nearly limitless replayability for XCOM commanders to enjoy.”

Key features for XCOM: Enemy Within include:

• New Soldier Abilities: Research a new alien technology to advance the capabilities of operatives:
    • Gene Mods: Construct the Genetics Lab to physically enhance operatives’ abilities, including augmentations to the chest, brain, eyes, skin and legs;
    • MECs: Build the Cybernetics Lab to enable the construction of the new Mechanized Exoskeletal Cybersuit, or MEC. The new MEC Trooper class has specialized abilities and each suit can be upgraded with new weapons including the flamethrower, grenade launcher and more.
  • New Weapons and Equipment: Give operatives an extra tactical edge with new projects from the engineering team in the Foundry;
  • New Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from new enemies, including the Mechtoid, the Seeker and an organization known as EXALT, a group of humans sympathetic to the alien cause;
  • New Strategic Resource: A valuable new alien resource, known as Meld, has been discovered. Secure it on the battlefield and use it carefully back at base to unlock new research and upgrades;
  • New Tactical Challenges and Maps: Face new tactical challenges, on nearly 50% more maps;
  • New Story Elements: Recover a mysterious new weapon in Operation Progeny, investigate a terrifying threat in an abandoned fishing village, and defend the XCOM headquarters from alien attack in a series of new plot-driven missions;
  • New Multiplayer Maps, Units and Abilities: Create custom squads from a wider array of options and dominate opponents in intense, one-on-one, turn-based matches;
  • New Second Wave Options: A number of new gameplay modifiers including the option to enable random soldier abilities means no XCOM squad need ever be the same again.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 15:09 Renee

The meld mechanic is pretty fun. In my first game I fanned out and dashed forward on the first turn of the first mission. The next turn, I saw a canister and had five turns to get it. The turn after that there were six sectoids around it and I spotted my second canister while moving in - and there were not enough turns to recover it. It definitely places a premium on rapid scouting and mobility, as well as the use of grenades to eliminate danger.

EDIT: And another thing, if you dash a soldier to a canister or a door, you apparently no longer can re-select them and use a mouse click to open the door, use the canister or otherwise select an interactable. It makes it even more tense.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2013, 15:21.

Steam ID: Renee
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 14:42 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 14:07:
Thanks for the mini review

I've played like three missions, so haven't really seen anything beyond that yet. I'll do a bigger one once I have some actual experience with it.

Big negative so far: The first council mission is STILL the "save general van doorn" on the busted up bridge. Shit, you couldn't randomize that, Firaxis?? Ugh. I must have played this same fucking mission at least 15 times now already.

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 14:27 Yosemite Sam

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 13:03:
Really enjoying it so far. The voices alone are awesome, and while I thought I'd hate the "hurry up and get the Meld!" gameplay, I'm actually being more aggressive because of it, which leads to cooler firefights.

Also enjoying the new Second Wave options a lot, though I'm wondering if there will be a Save Scummer achievement.

Nice, I'll get this one, in the future, on the cheap. Too many games right now, got 4 or 5 I haven't touched on the PS3 and another 6 on the PC to get to... and that doesn't even cover old titles I still enjoy, been feeling a CIV itch a coming.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 14:07 SpectralMeat

Really enjoying it so far. The voices alone are awesome, and while I thought I'd hate the "hurry up and get the Meld!" gameplay, I'm actually being more aggressive because of it, which leads to cooler firefights.

Also enjoying the new Second Wave options a lot, though I'm wondering if there will be a Save Scummer achievement.
Sounds good Creston
I am sure I will pick it up at some point just not right now.
Thanks for the mini review

Steam: SpectralMeat

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 13:11 Beamer

I'm 48% through GTAV, and know I won't return if I leave now, so I want to power through that, but... I really need to play this asap.

Sounds like a blast.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 13:03 Creston

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 12:59 Cutter

No, we didn't ask for more maps, we asked for a random map generator! No sale!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 11:50 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:00:
I did not get this expansion (canceled this preorder as well ) but I still had a 4Gb patch to download last night.
Not sure if they've made some changes to the main game as well?

They did. They fixed some bugs (teleport bug amongst others), made some optimizations (apparently) and I think the changes for the RNG were ported over to the original game as well.

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 10:26 dj LiTh

Harlequin wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:19:
Why not just buy it though steam it's what I did...?

Cause its cheaper and you get a 6$ GMG credit. Some people like to save money, and its working now btw.

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 10:19 Raven

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:00:
I did not get this expansion (canceled this preorder as well ) but I still had a 4Gb patch to download last night.

Word on the street is that the 4GB is higher resolution cutscene videos and MP compatibility with the expansion.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 10:19 Harlequin

Why not just buy it though steam it's what I did...?  

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 10:19 fiftykyu

Didn't buy this XCOM expansion as I still haven't finished the base game. Oops.

However, the voucher code you mentioned (GMG25-C5729-7SY25) also works for some other things at greenman, like X: Rebirth. Wish I hadn't noticed, was trying not to pre-order that one. Hope it's not a complete disappointment...

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 10:04 peteham

Well then, at least there are some advantages to always getting everything a week late over here in Festung Europa. Hopefully things will be fully resolved by the time I'm able to download it.  

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 10:00 avianflu

So will there be DLC 2 weeks from now and somehow related to this add-on?

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 10:00 SpectralMeat

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 09:56 dj LiTh

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 09:51:
dj LiTh wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 09:50:
At the moment everyone who bought it from GMG is having trouble with it launching the expansion, rather it downloads the 4gb patch and just launches the old EU. Steam forums not happy campers at the moment. From what i've read it works for some and not for others, but it doesnt work for anyone who bought outside of steam and especially GMG customers.
I did see gmg posted something on twitter this morning regarding this.
Edit here it is:
XCOM: Enemy Within - Download Issue 12th Nov. 2013 *Updated*
Hi,

Thank you for contacting us about this. We are aware of a download issue for XCOM: Enemy Within that some customers are experiencing and we are in contact with 2K regarding this issue. Unfortunately we can't provide an ETA for a resolution as this is outside of our control, but will update customers as soon as we have more information.

We thank you for your patience.

Thanks,
GMG

*UPDATE* 12th November 2013 14:51

We now believe this issue to be resolved. We would advise that you restart Steam before attempting to download again. If you continue to have issues with the download, please let us know by contacting Customer Support.
Again, we thank you for your patience while this was resolved.
Thanks,
GMG Team.

Ya, i think they litterally just fixed it as i posted. I just tried validating my files cache and it failed (passed the last 3 times i tried it in the last hour). So looks like now its downloading 7gb more of data....yay!

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 09:51 SpectralMeat

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 09:50:
At the moment everyone who bought it from GMG is having trouble with it launching the expansion, rather it downloads the 4gb patch and just launches the old EU. Steam forums not happy campers at the moment. From what i've read it works for some and not for others, but it doesnt work for anyone who bought outside of steam and especially GMG customers.
I did see gmg posted something on twitter this morning regarding this.
Edit here it is:
XCOM: Enemy Within - Download Issue 12th Nov. 2013 *Updated*
Hi,

Thank you for contacting us about this. We are aware of a download issue for XCOM: Enemy Within that some customers are experiencing and we are in contact with 2K regarding this issue. Unfortunately we can't provide an ETA for a resolution as this is outside of our control, but will update customers as soon as we have more information.

We thank you for your patience.

Thanks,
GMG

*UPDATE* 12th November 2013 14:51

We now believe this issue to be resolved. We would advise that you restart Steam before attempting to download again. If you continue to have issues with the download, please let us know by contacting Customer Support.
Again, we thank you for your patience while this was resolved.
Thanks,
GMG Team.

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 09:50 dj LiTh

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 09:31 SpectralMeat

What I've heard the power creep is an issue in this one. As well as the ending of the game.
GMG has this for $20 in case anyone still wants to pick it up. Use their 25% off coupon.

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo