Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within

XCOM: Enemy Within is now available for Windows in North America, expanding the throwback counter-UFO strategy of XCOM: Enemy Unknown with new content (available on consoles as the standalone XCOM: Enemy Within – Commander Edition). 2K Games confirms the add-on, which requires the original game, will be released internationally on Friday, and outlines what it offers:

In XCOM: Enemy Within, players can modify their soldiers genetically to enhance their operatives’ abilities or transform their soldiers into cybernetic warriors. These new abilities and units are imperative to combat two new aliens, the Mechtoid and the Seeker. In addition to new aliens, XCOM: Enemy Within adds a new threat known as EXALT, an underground human organization set on disrupting XCOM operations and taking control of Earth. XCOM: Enemy Within also includes an array of new maps, abilities, upgrades and weapons across both single player and multiplayer.

“XCOM: Enemy Within continues the tradition of robust expansion packs from Firaxis Games,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “With an incredible amount of new content, XCOM: Enemy Within is the definitive way to play last year’s best strategy game.”

“The number one thing our fans asked for after we released XCOM: Enemy Unknown was more maps,” said Ananda Gupta, lead designer at Firaxis Games. “In XCOM: Enemy Within, we’re giving players nearly 50% more maps in addition to a massive amount of other new content, providing nearly limitless replayability for XCOM commanders to enjoy.”

Key features for XCOM: Enemy Within include:

• New Soldier Abilities: Research a new alien technology to advance the capabilities of operatives:
    • Gene Mods: Construct the Genetics Lab to physically enhance operatives’ abilities, including augmentations to the chest, brain, eyes, skin and legs;
    • MECs: Build the Cybernetics Lab to enable the construction of the new Mechanized Exoskeletal Cybersuit, or MEC. The new MEC Trooper class has specialized abilities and each suit can be upgraded with new weapons including the flamethrower, grenade launcher and more.
  • New Weapons and Equipment: Give operatives an extra tactical edge with new projects from the engineering team in the Foundry;
  • New Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from new enemies, including the Mechtoid, the Seeker and an organization known as EXALT, a group of humans sympathetic to the alien cause;
  • New Strategic Resource: A valuable new alien resource, known as Meld, has been discovered. Secure it on the battlefield and use it carefully back at base to unlock new research and upgrades;
  • New Tactical Challenges and Maps: Face new tactical challenges, on nearly 50% more maps;
  • New Story Elements: Recover a mysterious new weapon in Operation Progeny, investigate a terrifying threat in an abandoned fishing village, and defend the XCOM headquarters from alien attack in a series of new plot-driven missions;
  • New Multiplayer Maps, Units and Abilities: Create custom squads from a wider array of options and dominate opponents in intense, one-on-one, turn-based matches;
  • New Second Wave Options: A number of new gameplay modifiers including the option to enable random soldier abilities means no XCOM squad need ever be the same again.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 19:50 Beamer

Prez wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 19:37:
Having played both games extensively I'd still have to say that I preferred the randomized maps of the original, limitations and all. You never knew what was in the shadows even after hundreds of hours of playing. Blander visually, but more exciting. At least for me.

For me, the maps weren't the problem, it was how the enemies were placed. I hated the "pods," I hated the endless pod reveal videos, and I hated that they didn't seem to be wandering. Sure, in the original they tended to waste their turn walking 5 feet, turning 180, walking back 5 feet, turning 180, walking back 5 feet, all the while constantly cutting to the "ENEMY TURN" screen, but sometimes you just saw them shooting civilians, or heard it. I never had much of a feel like that from this game.

That is an AI thing, though. The maps still never really bugged me. Or, at least, the outdoor ones didn't - I hated them equally, and the ships were usually the dominant part of them. I guess I would have liked more urban environments.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 19:45 fiftykyu

Harlequin wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 18:58:
dj LiTh wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:26:
Harlequin wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:19:
Why not just buy it though steam it's what I did...?

Cause its cheaper and you get a 6$ GMG credit. Some people like to save money, and its working now btw.

If by 'saving' you mean you saved enough for half a latte at Starbucks then I'll pay the extra couple of bucks for convenience since I already have a Stream account.

Umm, not to spoil your fun, but it's a Steamworks game. Buy directly from Steam, or buy the game elsewhere, you'll only be playing on Steam. So I'll take the convenience and the discount, thank you very much.

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 19:37 Prez

Having played both games extensively I'd still have to say that I preferred the randomized maps of the original, limitations and all. You never knew what was in the shadows even after hundreds of hours of playing. Blander visually, but more exciting. At least for me.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 19:21 Beamer

Harlequin wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 19:11:
Leper wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:56:
Civilization has always had random maps so you can't say they aren't aware of the idea.

Apples and oranges. civ is a 2D grid with basic pathfinding on a tile based layout. xcom is a 3D based layout with much more advanced path finding requirements and AI. The time, programming to make a workable 2D game vs a 3D path finding & AI wise is miles apart.

Yup, Civ is just a 2D map, and loosely tiled (at least through 4.)

Let's be honest here - it isn't as if the tile system of the original X-COM was particularly wonderful. After a while all the farms feel the same. I'm fine with maps that are more deliberate, but I'll get sick of them sooner. Thankfully the game also forces you to do fewer missions to get to the endgame.

-------------

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 19:11 Harlequin

Leper wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:56:
Civilization has always had random maps so you can't say they aren't aware of the idea.

Apples and oranges. civ is a 2D grid with basic pathfinding on a tile based layout. xcom is a 3D based layout with much more advanced path finding requirements and AI. The time, programming to make a workable 2D game vs a 3D path finding & AI wise is miles apart.

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 19:03 Harlequin

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 14:42:
Big negative so far: The first council mission is STILL the "save general van doorn" on the busted up bridge. Shit, you couldn't randomize that, Firaxis?? Ugh. I must have played this same fucking mission at least 15 times now already.

It IS random my first council mission wasn't that. Just happenstance you got it.

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 19:02 Harlequin

Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 12:59:
No, we didn't ask for more maps, we asked for a random map generator! No sale!

A random map generator is a SIGNIFICANT amount of work unless you went with a tile based system. And then people like yourself would complain of the tiles. I prefer a bunch of hand crafted maps without the obvious tiles system like what was in NWN1 that stood out like a sore thumb.

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 18:58 Harlequin

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:26:
Harlequin wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:19:
Why not just buy it though steam it's what I did...?

Cause its cheaper and you get a 6$ GMG credit. Some people like to save money, and its working now btw.

If by 'saving' you mean you saved enough for half a latte at Starbucks then I'll pay the extra couple of bucks for convenience since I already have a Stream account.

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 18:49 SpectralMeat

Will W wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:00:
Damn, missed that 25% off X Rebirth code. That's what I was waiting for on a purchase....guess I'll have to wait for the next one.

http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/download-x-rebirth/5006750
Code: GFDNOV20

Steam: SpectralMeat

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 17:12 Creston

Flatline wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:46:

However, I heard 45 new maps and they recooked all the old maps.

Note that 45 maps means 11 maps each with 4 different starting positions. However, so far all the new maps I've seen are pretty awesome.

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 16:56 Leper

Probably not doable in this engine.

Not to mention difficult to do well (generate quality maps that are playable and fun). I'm sure they looked at it and will look at it again in the future for future expansions or new games. Civilization has always had random maps so you can't say they aren't aware of the idea.

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 16:46 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 12:59:

Probably not doable in this engine.

However, I heard 45 new maps and they recooked all the old maps. One reviewer said he was halfway through the game before he saw a recognizable EU map.

Besides, there's some cool set pieces apparently. 60 or 70 maps scratches my "god we need more maps" bug.

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 16:34 Yosemite Sam

I have a question about the upgrades to the game... did they do anything to the base to make it more alive and to also reflect the state of the game? I seem to remember that other then the alien containment, which showed an alien in containment if you captured one, nothing in the base reflected the state of your game. So the exact same people would be hanging out in med bay regardless of how many of your soldiers were actually injured and in need of medical attention. It's one of those things that Rockstar gets so right and so many other devs seem to just skip over, attention to the little details.  

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 16:32 Creston

Beamer wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:25:
Maybe it was true on everything other than Impossible?
I definitely did it on Classic, as well as Ironman (which I did on Easy, which turned out to be far too easy as I only lost one soldier the entire time.)

It could be. It's been awhile since I played the original, so I may just be remembering it wrong anyway. That happens when you're my age.

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 16:25 Beamer

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:23:
Beamer wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:21:
Unless we're discussing something different, or unless I missed a nuance, it wasn't always the case. I used to make my guy dash to a bomb, using all his actions, but could still disable the bomb with the same guy. I believe I could have done the same with doors, too.

Really? Hmmm... I'm pretty certain you could never do that... It was a limitation that even featured heavily in an Impossible Playthrough diary on RPS, which caused Alec's squaddie to get wiped out as he couldn't disable the bomb after dashing to it in the last turn...

But I could be wrong. In any case, now you can't do it anymore. (As I found out when dashing next to a Meld canister in the last turn...)

Maybe it was true on everything other than Impossible?
I definitely did it on Classic, as well as Ironman (which I did on Easy, which turned out to be far too easy as I only lost one soldier the entire time.)

-------------

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 16:23 Creston

Beamer wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:21:
Unless we're discussing something different, or unless I missed a nuance, it wasn't always the case. I used to make my guy dash to a bomb, using all his actions, but could still disable the bomb with the same guy. I believe I could have done the same with doors, too.

Really? Hmmm... I'm pretty certain you could never do that... It was a limitation that even featured heavily in an Impossible Playthrough diary on RPS, which caused Alec's squaddie to get wiped out as he couldn't disable the bomb after dashing to it in the last turn...

But I could be wrong. In any case, now you can't do it anymore. (As I found out when dashing next to a Meld canister in the last turn...)

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 16:21 Beamer

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:19:
Renee wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 15:09:
EDIT: And another thing, if you dash a soldier to a canister or a door, you apparently no longer can re-select them and use a mouse click to open the door, use the canister or otherwise select an interactable. It makes it even more tense.

That was always the case. It's a shame that they still haven't fixed that. Sure, activating something is a "free" action, but it's a free action you need to take while you still have actions left, because otherwise it doesn't work.

Really enjoying it so far. The new maps are cool, and seem to be quite a bit larger than the old ones. The first "UFO Down" map I got sent to was finally not just a shitty forest, but instead the thing had crashed in a construction site behind a pool cafe, which was a really cool map.

Also, I'm totally in love with my female french squaddie. Her voice sends shiver down my spine. "Toute suite!" indeed, sweetheart...

-------------

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 16:19 Creston

Renee wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 15:09:
EDIT: And another thing, if you dash a soldier to a canister or a door, you apparently no longer can re-select them and use a mouse click to open the door, use the canister or otherwise select an interactable. It makes it even more tense.

That was always the case. It's a shame that they still haven't fixed that. Sure, activating something is a "free" action, but it's a free action you need to take while you still have actions left, because otherwise it doesn't work.

Really enjoying it so far. The new maps are cool, and seem to be quite a bit larger than the old ones. The first "UFO Down" map I got sent to was finally not just a shitty forest, but instead the thing had crashed in a construction site behind a pool cafe, which was a really cool map.

Also, I'm totally in love with my female french squaddie. Her voice sends shiver down my spine. "Toute suite!" indeed, sweetheart...

They've also shifted some powers around, to help make certain choices more difficult. For example, everyone always picked Lightning Reflexes for an assault squaddie. I mean, why wouldn't you? It's probably the third most powerful ability in the game. Now, though, the opposite choice is to let any shot taken within 4 tiles of your character not cost an action. Whoa...

(I still picked lightning reflexes. )

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 16:14 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

Arse. Us europeans have to wait another 2 days.
I thought we'd moved away from this bullshit staggered release dates, especially with DLC.................

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 16:00 Will W

Damn, missed that 25% off X Rebirth code. That's what I was waiting for on a purchase....guess I'll have to wait for the next one.  

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo