Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy 11/12/13! You don't get to say that everyday. Not that you get to say it's any other date every day either, but you know what I mean. We can revisit this incredibly significant topic next year on 12/13/14, unless you use European notation, in which case you have an entirely different 11/12/13 of your own next month.

Sequential Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Madville.
Escape Machines.
Link: PG-13 Films More Violent Than R-Rated?
Stories: Smart Wheel By FlyKly Could Change Everything About Commuting.
Walmart to launch Black Friday sales earlier. TV fights to feature more upchucked turkey.
A Man Named "Batman, Son of Superman" Sent to Prison. (Really.).
Science: Nature Glows With Neon Animals and Plants.
Media: Barrel and Box.
Katniss Everdeen Kills Everything.
Follow-up: GOCE satellite falls to its fiery doom in South Atlantic Ocean, experts say. Thanks brother19.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 23:35 Jivaro

I went from first to third this past week. The week before was bad, this past week was worse. I normally pick one or two upsets, the problem is I picked the wrong one or two both weeks. This week most of the games seem pretty easy to pick, mainly thanks to injuries. Don't think I will make up any ground though. One of those weeks where everybody will probably pick about the same.

One division interests me this week, the NFC North. I don't think Chicago can win their game without Cutter or Tillman. I don't think Green Bay can win their game without Matthews and Rodgers. I know the Vikings aren't going to upset the Seahawks in Seattle with all their injury issues. All of that is really good news for the Detroit Lions. If they can go into Pittsburgh(?) and win, which they should be able to do, then they would be putting themselves in a great position. For the past few years Detroit has been the butt of every injury joke in the league. Interesting to see them on the other side this year. I am still not convinced Stafford is as great as the analysts seem to think, but OMFG Megatron is a beast. Bush seems pretty determined to convince the league he can handle running between the tackles as well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 21:02 WarPig

8-6 and I broke from the first place tie, so I think some must have gained on the lead this week.

I went 9-5 and was surprised by how much I caught up (4 games back to 2 games back). And I agree with everyone else; this next week doesn't look any easier.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2013, 21:07.

GO SEAHAWKS!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 20:28 Mr. Tact

Blahman wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 19:15:
I don't know why more people don't just use ISO dates: 2013-11-12. Year, month, day. Sortable, sensible, simple.
The same reason everyone doesn't use GMT, which would make world-wide scheduling simple and sensible -- ie.. there is no good reason.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 19:39 Julio

Sho wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 19:24:
Brilliant news: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/659187

I was among those who heavily criticized Harebrained for not being more forthcoming about what their licensing dependency meant for their options; that this got resolved, along with the ongoing work on an improved saving system, addresses all the bitter pills that came with this game.

I give them credit for getting a DRM free product out there. Still waiting for the save system (assuming that's not done yet).

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 19:25 mag

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 12:15:
7-7 on my picks. FUCK YOU TAMPA BAY AND JACKSONVILLE. FUCK YOU BOTH IN THE ASS WITH A FUCKING PITCHFORK. Both of you pick this week to stop being a walking shitshow and win a game? FUCK YOU.

Anyway, for the second time this year, I've got the honor of being the Biggest Drop! WOOT! ... Sigh

Again, I'd feel bad if I spent more than 10 seconds picking these things.

Chiefs vs Broncos this weekend. You'd expect a good game, but I think it's going to be a terrible grindfest to watch.

I'm kinda anticipating that Peyton's not going to finish the game. His ankles are bad, and the Chefs lead in sacks. I'm wanting the Broncos to go all the way this year, so I hope I'm wrong, but...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 19:24 Sho

Brilliant news: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/659187

I was among those who heavily criticized Harebrained for not being more forthcoming about what their licensing dependency meant for their options; that this got resolved, along with the ongoing work on an improved saving system, addresses all the bitter pills that came with this game.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 19:15 Blahman

I don't know why more people don't just use ISO dates: 2013-11-12. Year, month, day. Sortable, sensible, simple.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 15:53 TorchMaster

8-6 and I broke from the first place tie, so I think some must have gained on the lead this week.  

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 15:32 Bhruic

Ah, I had just got my code from GMG - I'm all set and waiting too. I'm planning on staying up all night (well, morning I guess) playing.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 14:15 jdreyer

PG-13 Films More Violent Than R-Rated?

The MPAA is a sham. This Film is Not Yet Rated is a documentary about it, and reveals just what a complete studio-serving amateur show it really is. It's on Netflix streaming, or can be watched completely free on Youtube. An eye opener. Highly, highly recommended.

Also, there was a post on io9 over the weekend discussing the fact that Rush got an R rating in the US, but a G rating (General audiences) in Canada. While G might be a bit too low given the content of the movie, Canadian professionals completely backed up their rating on a point by point basis. Interesting read.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 14:11 Mr. Tact

Week 11 is looking grim, several games that could go either way. Four people just one pick ahead of me... if only those gambling game picking sites were actually worth the money. (No, I've never actually used one)  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 14:03 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 13:00:
Unfortunately Blue missed the big news of the day... X-Rebirth preloads have started!!

They started on Sunday. Mine's all set and waiting.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 13:10 Cutter

I went 7 and 7 too and most of the losses were stupid squeakers. This coming week doesn't look to be much better! Motherfucker!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 13:00 Bhruic

Unfortunately Blue missed the big news of the day... X-Rebirth preloads have started!!  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 12:15 Creston

7-7 on my picks. FUCK YOU TAMPA BAY AND JACKSONVILLE. FUCK YOU BOTH IN THE ASS WITH A FUCKING PITCHFORK. Both of you pick this week to stop being a walking shitshow and win a game? FUCK YOU.

Anyway, for the second time this year, I've got the honor of being the Biggest Drop! WOOT! ... Sigh

Again, I'd feel bad if I spent more than 10 seconds picking these things.

Chiefs vs Broncos this weekend. You'd expect a good game, but I think it's going to be a terrible grindfest to watch.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 12:11 Creston

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 09:54:
Having grown up in the states, and now living in europe, the date always throws me off when i'm looking at expiration dates of certain groceries. Just too used to the good ol' states way of doing things. I still convert temperatures into Fahrenheit all the time as well, even though i'm pretty use to celsius by now.

It's funny, I convert all my F temps into Celsius, still.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 11:30 xXBatmanXx

Target, Toys R Us, also jumped no the Amazon buy 2 get 1 PS4 bandwagon. FYI.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

2. Re: Football Picks Nov 12, 2013, 10:33 Mr. Tact

An 8-6 week in a pretty tough week and I still end up slipping a position to 7th. *sigh* Hmm, not sure if I need to pick more upsets or fewer. Picked the Vikings and Eagles, which was good, but also picked the Bears which was bad.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 09:54 dj LiTh

Having grown up in the states, and now living in europe, the date always throws me off when i'm looking at expiration dates of certain groceries. Just too used to the good ol' states way of doing things. I still convert temperatures into Fahrenheit all the time as well, even though i'm pretty use to celsius by now.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo