Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Warcraft and Warcraft II Coming to Modern PCs "In Some Form or Fashion"

Blizzard is working on updating Warcraft and Warcraft II to allow their real-time strategy classics to work on current PCs, the company revealed over the weekend at the BlizzCon extravaganza. Polygon quotes World of Warcraft production director J. Allen Brack's response to a question about the games by saying a "side project" is in the works related to being able to play these older games, though he hedges saying this will be "to do something like that in some form or fashion." Here's the full quote:

So, we actually have a guy on our team actually several guys on our team who are actually working on a side project to do something like that in some form or fashion. We're fans of Warcraft 1, Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, and we'd love to replay those games for sure.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

22. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 16:10 bhcompy

Of the classic style RTS games, WC2 is probably the best(I prefer it over Starcraft). The problem is that more modern games, like Dawn of War, are just better and less frustrating.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 15:34 Cutter

Kosumo wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 13:47:
Seems like Blizzard is finding it hard to come up with fresh new ideas that are as good as their old ones from 8+ years ago.

I think that's more Bobby Kodick than anything else. Look at all the great stuff Activision used to put out. Now? It's just CoD and WoW really.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

20. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 14:54 Gamelore

Warcraft has always been my favorite as well. I preferred to play Warcraft II with original Warcraft TC mods. I tried making a mod for Warcraft III as well, but gave up. Oh the nightmares trying to get Warcraft to work across the Internet with Kali... Slow as molasses.

I hope they add a co-op option, fix multiplayer, and leave everything else alone.

Warcraft II doesn't need another update.

19. Both work fine now, remaster them? Nov 11, 2013, 14:15 JohnBirshire

I replayed both about a year ago for nostalgia, had no problem whatsoever with them. They work fine now. If they want to "remaster" them with some updates, more modern UI's, widescreen support, etc, great! But just "making them work" is unnecessary.

18. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 13:47 Kosumo

Seems like Blizzard is finding it hard to come up with fresh new ideas that are as good as their old ones from 8+ years ago.  

17. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 12:54 MrRadicalEd

Last time I checked, my copy of WC2 battle.net edition works pretty good.. sans modem-to-modem multiplay.  

16. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 12:37 Orogogus

LibertyOrDeath wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 10:29:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 10:27:
Uh, in WC2 the two sides were IDENTICAL until castle phase, and then bloodlust was the only significant difference between Horde and Alliance.

And why is this a big project, Blizzard? WC1 works great in DosBOX, and WC2 still works out of the box, last time I checked.

They said, "side project", not big. :)>

One update they might include would be TCP/IP play for PCs. I only ever played it over LAN, and Wikipedia says that while Macs had TCP/IP, PCs went through Kali.

15. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 12:30 jdreyer

The WC 1 graphics are probably a bit dated, but the WC2 graphics still hold up. They were colorful and cartoony, and fit the gameplay perfectly. Asking for them to be updated is like asking to remake Looney Tunes in Pixar CG: completely unnecessary.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

14. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 12:24 Taskeen

Why don't they just remake them all on one engine...  

13. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 12:24 Cutter

Complete with ODRM and RMAH!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 12:03 El Pit

I never play WC 1 (played Dune 1/2 back then), but WC 2 was fun. So I'm all for making them work with Win 7/8 (32 & 64 bit). It would be great if they could "mod" their own game to support widescreen and higher resolution.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

11. Re: Warcraft and Warcraft II Coming to Modern PCs Nov 11, 2013, 11:12 Paranoid Jack

For some reason I totally avoided WC3 but loved the first two. Now with CoH2 being such a let down I'm thinking I will pick up that battle chest or ask Santa for it. But on the other hand... I have far too many games to play as it is. That plus add the Kickstarter effect to it... I am overbooked.

I have the alpha testing of SotA & DOS (then the betas). Not to mention the soon to test W2 & possibly PE in the early part of the year.

10. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 10:39 Creston

I'd like to have an updated version of both, but I wouldn't pay more than 10 bucks for the set.

Seeing as how it's Blizzard, somehow I doubt they're going to cost ten bucks for the set...

9. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 10:29 LibertyOrDeath

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 10:27:
Uh, in WC2 the two sides were IDENTICAL until castle phase, and then bloodlust was the only significant difference between Horde and Alliance.

And why is this a big project, Blizzard? WC1 works great in DosBOX, and WC2 still works out of the box, last time I checked.

They said, "side project", not big. :)>

8. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 10:27 Scottish Martial Arts

7. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 10:23 dj LiTh

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 10:13:
The original Warcraft remains my favourite in the franchise. I thought each subsequent version lost some of the character that defined the original game. Part of that was due to ever lower unit caps.

Nothing beat using peasants / peons to cut paths through the trees, as it allowed for resources to be used as tactics. Same with summoning elementals, which were immensely powerful but had to be used carefully due to their limited summon time.

However, I can't imagine wanting to go back to it without a significant update of the graphics and UI.

WC1 was my first multiplayer pc game ever. But i totally disagree, besides the caster units both sides were cookie cutter exactly the same except for the textures. WC2 is where things really advanced RTS gaming.

6. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 10:13 theyarecomingforyou

The original Warcraft remains my favourite in the franchise. I thought each subsequent version lost some of the character that defined the original game. Part of that was due to ever lower unit caps.

Nothing beat using peasants / peons to cut paths through the trees, as it allowed for resources to be used as tactics. Same with summoning elementals, which were immensely powerful but had to be used carefully due to their limited summon time.

However, I can't imagine wanting to go back to it without a significant update of the graphics and UI.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

5. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 10:11 Fibrocyte

FFXIV is a damn good MMO in the mean time. The PvE is done really well and PvP is coming in early December. Yeah, it'll take time to balance PvP but there's plenty of PvE for me in the meantime. Plus, the game is just downright beautiful.  

4. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 09:40 LibertyOrDeath

Cool, but give us some much wanted info about the new MMO! *walks away upset and crying* :)>  

3. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 09:33 TangledThorns

I spent an amazing amount of time playing WC3 but stopped after I bought my first widescreen monitor since the game doesn't support widescreen. I never played the first two WC games and would love to play an updated version!  

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo