Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Op Ed Nov 13, 2013, 07:03 theyarecomingforyou

LibertyOrDeath wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 20:52:
I left google once they banned guns and ammo shopping
Yeah, I mean we can't have corporations behaving in an ethical manner based of the concerns of their customers. There are plenty of places in the US where you can buy guns and ammo - Google doesn't need to be one of them.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Op Ed Nov 12, 2013, 01:27 Steele Johnson

Creston wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 22:35:
Bing is a very good search engine these days.

Really? You might want to look up that article from a few days ago where Bing had a malware attack site as the #1 result for a search query.

That has happened with google search thousands of times. The only reason you see articles now is because all the stupid hate towards MS.

I deleted my gmail account and stopped using google search a while ago because all they want to do is own everything you type into the Internet. You guys all diss MS yet you let google sell all your pii without even asking your permission, and you don't think twice about it! lol

7. Re: Op Ed Nov 11, 2013, 22:35 Creston

Bing is a very good search engine these days.

Really? You might want to look up that article from a few days ago where Bing had a malware attack site as the #1 result for a search query.

6. Re: Op Ed Nov 11, 2013, 20:52 LibertyOrDeath

Bing is a very good search engine these days. I left google once they banned guns and ammo shopping:)There is no valid reason to kill Bing. It is a lessor of two evils and performs very well to my liking. Plus you get Bing rewards. I have not paid for a redbox rental in a year or so:)  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 11, 2013, 13:31 jdreyer

Meh, I think the article makes good points, especially about Bing integration as well as XBox and smart TV.

Also, what Cutter said.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 11, 2013, 12:52 Cutter

Had they put the time and money into PC gaming from the get-go that they put into Xbox there would be no consoles at this point.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 11, 2013, 11:35 Prez

Is that headline a typo? It should read "Microsoft SHOULD hire any CEO who wants to kill BING and XBox", right?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 11, 2013, 11:00 Creston

They'll never drop Bing. Imagine if they sold it to someone, then suddenly they need to pay that someone licensing fees because of the way Bing is integrated into Xbone and Win 8.1.

Xbox, otoh, I think would be better served with becoming a stand-alone offshoot. Yes, that does mean it would finally have to start coming up with a way to make money, rather than just continuously leach off Office/Windows' profits. But that would also force it to actually innovate and stop mindlessly pouring money into "Get CoD Ghosts new content FIRST on Xbone!" horseshit promotions.

Seeing as how there are exactly zero people at Microsoft who know how to SPELL innovation, much less actually achieve any meaningful amount of it, that will also never happen.

Ergo, Latin, nothing's going to change. And MS will stay the same megalithic giant with zero understanding of customers and/or customer service that it's always been.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 11, 2013, 10:30 theyarecomingforyou

Microsoft has been competing with Google for 15 years in search (MSN Search, Live Search, Bing) and has spent over $11bn promoting Bing to amount a whopping... 18% of the market. It should have been dropped a long time ago.

As for Xbox, while it has been a successful brand it hasn't been a profitable one - in fact it has lost billions over the past 12 years. Further, the next-generation is uncertain territory. By all accounts Sony has a more powerful and significantly cheaper console and Microsoft could be dragged into a price war. Further, Valve will be introducing an open platform gaming system (Steam Machines) and it's quite possible we'll see Apple and Google enter the market too. I don't see traditional consoles with eight-year lifecycles having any future. Microsoft should spin-off / sell-off the Xbox division while it is still worth something.

If Elop really is considering dropping Bing and Xbox and pushing Office onto iOS and Android in a big way then he could be the sort of bold leader that Microsoft needs. The last thing Microsoft needs is a play-it-safe CEO who is desperately trying to play catch-up to the rest of the industry (like Balmer was with Windows 8 / Surface, Windows Phone, Zune, Bing, GFWL, etc).

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo