Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The reports of the impact of Typhoon Haiyan on the Philippines are startling, but not that surprising when the scope of the storm is described as being hundreds of miles across carrying sustained winds of 147mph, gusts of 170 mph, and waves as high as 45ft. It seems almost impossible to imagine such forces at work until you see the photos and see the devastation. Here's hoping as much help can come to the victims of this as quickly as possible, as food and water are immediate issues, and one can also only hope that the dire projections of loss of life from this turn out to be overestimated.

Stormy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Bomb Besieger.
Links: Star Wars, Hunger Games Theme Parks Coming.
"Huh" is the universal word. I thought bird's the word?
Stories: Man buried alive, discovered by cemetery visitor.
The Olsen Twins Retire From Acting. Oscars on hold.
The Price is Right Welcomes Back Barker For 90th Birthday. Thanks reddit.
Science: The brain-fixing machine in Ender’s Game is real. Thanks Linux Today.
Polywater history and science mistakes- The U.S. and USSR raced to create a new form of water.
Obama’s Portable Zone of Secrecy (Some Assembly Required). The cone of silence!
Media: Whose Plane is it Anyway?
Electrical fireball in Lachine.
The Funnies: FoxTrot.
Gaming, Then & Now (Part 3). Thanks JDreyer.
Pixel’s depression. Thanks TheFlyingPenguin.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 12:09 Creston

Yeah it's no fun. I can manage to limp my way around with a mouse, and the Xbox controller I can manage to use with my fingertips, but the PS3 one is just too small and cramped.

Ah well. Plenty of new PC stuff coming out in the next 3 days, so my PS3 will be forgotten until April next year or so.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 08:46 nin

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 01:19:
nin wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 08:54:
What'd you do?!

Tore the ligament playing volleyball. :\

Ouch! Tore a ligament is my big toe once, and holy hell did it hurt the next day...takes awhile to heal, too.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

40. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 01:19 Creston

nin wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 08:54:
What'd you do?!

Tore the ligament playing volleyball. :\

39. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2013, 12:57 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 21:13:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 18:15:
But nothing you do will protect you from flooding. Not living there seems like a better choice.

I suppose someone should tell all the people in southeast Asia who live in stilt housing that's the case.

Topsider Hurricane Proof Houses

Stilt Housing

"This is a travel video showcasing the incredible Kampong Ayer (also known as the world's largest water stilt village) located in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei. http://nomadicsamuel.com : Kampong Ayer, or the Water Village (Malay: Kampong Ayer) is an area of Brunei's capital city Bandar Seri Begawan that is situated after the Brunei Bay. 39,000 people live in the Water Village. This represents roughly ten percent of the nation's total population. All of the Water Village buildings are constructed on stilts above the Brunei River.
Built entirely of stilt houses and wooden w
alkways, this cluster of 42 villages housing more than 30,000 inhabitants is the world's largest water village. Some people refer to it as the 'Venice of the East'."

Gentlemen, there are plenty of much cheaper, much more eco-friendly, viable alternatives for housing in any of those sorts of zones. Plenty!

But flooding damages the infrastructure all the same. What's the point having a house that takes 0 damage, when everything around you is destroyed? Most Phillipines will die because of sickness and starvation (and the inevitable riots and crimes caused by that). You could argue that your idea makes survival rates better, but if those few survivors have food only for themselves..... ehm.. yeah.

No, the smarter idea is to not live in a region that's hit by the strongest Taifuns all the time. ^^

On that note: I don't disagree with you, of course there are better housing solutions that are more secure and much more eco friendly. The real question is why you would build them in a region that's hit by massive storms every year. There is such a thing as "moving out of the way" and it's a lot cheaper and eco friendly.

Ps.: Check wikipedia if you don't believe me, every 2 to 3 years a massive storm hits the phillipines.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2013, 13:06.

38. removed Nov 11, 2013, 11:34 RollinThundr

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 11, 2013, 18:40.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2013, 08:54 nin

Creston wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 23:53:
Btw, thanks for the continued invites to GTA5-Online, guys.

Unfortunately, until my thumb heals, I really can't use the PS3 controller, as it's just agony to use it for even 5 minutes.

What'd you do?!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

36. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2013, 08:35 Mad Max RW

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 08:23:
Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 22:57:
Jivaro wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 22:49:
Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 22:11:
Cutter wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 21:23:
I know all this stuff because it's been my dream over the last decade to get off the grid and into alternative housing. It'll happen one of these days, soon I hope.

And a few months later your emaciated corpse will be found inside an abandoned school bus. You can "know" everything. Until you apply it to real life your word is shit.

That seems unreasonably harsh for no real reason. Who the hell pissed in your Wheaties? Seems like a fairly reasonable ambition to me. I grew up in the sticks, my dad has gone off the grid, it isn't exactly nuclear physics. Just hard work.

Google Christopher McCandless. There's a million kids just like him and I encounter them every day where I work. None have done more than spend a few nights in a designated campground. Life without cell phones, video games, air conditioning, and indoor plumbing is too much for most to handle. I somehow doubt Cutter is any different. Can anybody here handle it? I don't think so.

? It wasn't that long ago we did that.....soooo.......the most current generation wouldn't be able to - but Gen X? No problem.

The current generation is very different from the past. None have so strongly embraced the entitlement mindset. Cutter and his ilk will never voluntarily give up a life of luxury and free stuff to "live off the grid". But they love to talk about it.

If every liberal followed through with their endless talking there wouldn't be any of them left alive.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2013, 08:30 xXBatmanXx

You look at the images online - there aren't REAL structures for MILES in that place. It is just shack slums along the coastline. No shit people died! The REAL structures are still there, the problem is, they didn't have any to start with.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

34. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2013, 08:23 xXBatmanXx

Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 22:57:
I know all this stuff because it's been my dream over the last decade to get off the grid and into alternative housing. It'll happen one of these days, soon I hope.

And a few months later your emaciated corpse will be found inside an abandoned school bus. You can "know" everything. Until you apply it to real life your word is shit.

That seems unreasonably harsh for no real reason. Who the hell pissed in your Wheaties? Seems like a fairly reasonable ambition to me. I grew up in the sticks, my dad has gone off the grid, it isn't exactly nuclear physics. Just hard work.

Google Christopher McCandless. There's a million kids just like him and I encounter them every day where I work. None have done more than spend a few nights in a designated campground. Life without cell phones, video games, air conditioning, and indoor plumbing is too much for most to handle. I somehow doubt Cutter is any different. Can anybody here handle it? I don't think so.

? It wasn't that long ago we did that.....soooo.......the most current generation wouldn't be able to - but Gen X? No problem.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2013, 07:11 Mad Max RW

Cutter wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 23:14:

Best to put him and his alter ego, Trollin Thunder on ignore. There's nothing but downside listening to those idiots.

Why don't you run to your little mud hut? You know you will never do anything like "living off the grid" so why even say it?

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2013, 05:52 Rigs

Wow, I should've popped into this thread a lot sooner! From what I've seen since before landfall and then after, some estimated reports have winds sustained as high as 205mph AT landfall (which, to me, seems too high to be possible) and others are in the 175-195mph range (which is much more reasonable, though not any less extraordinary). This doesn't account for higher gusts (some, again, have put them in the 230mph range, which is, of course, theoretically possible). The whole problem is that there was no way to accurately tell because there were no official data being collected before and during landfall (such as hurricane hunter aircraft, which aren't used in the West Pacific basin), everything had to be estimated based on satellite, radar and the occasional space-based microwave scan.

What I can't really understand is why there were so many fatalities (if the first casualty estimates turn out to be true - 10,000+). They had nearly a five days warning, the Philippine government was on the ball (for a change) and evacuated all the coastal towns in the projected path of the storm (which was surprisingly accurate) and had supplies and assets on alert to be deployed at a moments notice in multiple cities and municipalities. Yet, an estimated 10 thousand still perish? WTF? This isn't the first 'super' typhoon to hit them this year (there were three before, two in the last three weeks alone) and there have been 28 named storms this year total. This is a normal season for them. Except for the outright strength of the storm, nothing about this was new to them. They all were very aware and experienced, yet 10,000 estimated dead. I don't get it, I really don't...

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

31. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 23:53 Creston

Btw, thanks for the continued invites to GTA5-Online, guys.

Unfortunately, until my thumb heals, I really can't use the PS3 controller, as it's just agony to use it for even 5 minutes.

30. removed Nov 10, 2013, 23:19 RollinThundr

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 11, 2013, 18:39.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 23:14 Cutter

Best to put him and his alter ego, Trollin Thunder on ignore. There's nothing but downside listening to those idiots.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

28. removed Nov 10, 2013, 23:08 RollinThundr

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 11, 2013, 18:41.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 22:57 Mad Max RW

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 22:55 Creston

Cutter wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 21:13:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 18:15:
But nothing you do will protect you from flooding. Not living there seems like a better choice.

I suppose someone should tell all the people in southeast Asia who live in stilt housing that's the case.

For that matter, a large part of Amsterdam is, in essence, built on stilts.

It's possible to build houses to stand up better to extreme weather, but it'll take a long time to catch on, either due to cost, aesthetics, material or whatever.

And I seriously doubt a dome would withstand an EF4 or higher tornado, but admittedly that's just based on gut feeling, rather than any scientific evidence.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 22:49 Jivaro

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 22:11 Mad Max RW

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 21:23 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo