Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013

The BioWare Blog outlines the festivities surrounding N7 Day 2013, their second annual celebration of the Mass Effect series. There are social events, an art contest, the chance to play with the developers, and more. Word is: "Remember to mark November 7th on your calendars and come take part in N7 Day festivities with us! On behalf of the team here at BioWare, we sincerely thank you for your continued support and for keeping the Mass Effect community thriving."

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 8, 2013, 07:24 Redmask

It's because these companies have bloated to the point where every game needs 150 artists and a 20 million dollar marketing campaign. They need to sell 6 million just to break even so they go chasing after the Call of Duty crowd by dumbing down games.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 8, 2013, 04:19 InBlack

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 17:32:
I'll never understand this and Dragon Age.

You've got a relatively deep and wildy successful original IP-based RPG!

What are you going to do next?!

Remove everything original and RPG from the sequel! FANS WILL LOVE IT!

Seriously. I'll never understand why developers mess with what worked well and got them lots of sales and end up making inferior sequels.

Because Jay Wilson!!

I have a nifty blue line!

24. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 19:30 durandal

How about a discount on Bioware points /or DLC?
Right now story DLCs for ME2, two years old game, cost almost 30 dollars total, despite the game itself frequently being sold at 5~10 dollars.
It's ridiculous!

23. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 17:47 jdreyer

I like this idea over at IO9 of Mass Effect getting the Game of Thrones treatment.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

22. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 17:39 Creston

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 17:32:

Seriously. I'll never understand why developers mess with what worked well and got them lots of sales and end up making inferior sequels.

In the case of Dragon Age, blame EA. They wanted another DA game shat out the door in 16 months.

In the case of ME2, eh, while the story was worse, I actually enjoyed the gameplay more. Also, ME2 outsold ME by quite a bit, which is what they were hoping to do, so you can see why they did that.

I'm not really defending Bioware, but in my opinion they have genuinely tried to make ME3 better, somewhat with the Extended Cut and massively with the Citadel DLC.

21. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 17:36 Creston

Clever Caviar wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 16:47:
update the textures for a nice HD boost?

Cool mod, thanks for linking it.

20. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 17:32 Prez

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

19. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 17:00 Creston

Quinn wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 16:08:
That extended cut was a piss in the face of every customer. Some people got blinded by it and actually took it as a true golden shower.

And most people said "You know, it's free, and it was a pretty cool addition."

18. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 16:47 Clever Caviar

I think I sent folk into a coma earlier, complaining about the lack of controller support in ME1. Well... it's pretty much playable with a controller, except the bit where you control your squad and what biotics they fire off, than needs the mouse. And maybe your upgrades and equipment can get confused by you sending the cursor offscreen.

However, what are the chances EA, or Bioware will see fit to either: update that past misstep?
update the textures for a nice HD boost?
fix the annoying autosave (lack thereof.)

Blimey O'Reilly EA/Bioware, c'mon, it's one of your flagship brands, yet you give it such a short shrift. I really don't get why game companies sh*t on their catalogue like they do.

::
Rockstar made $1 billion in 3 days with GTAV, yet they can't find the budget to port RDR to PC.

17. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 16:42 JoeNapalm

*sigh*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

16. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 16:17 Redmask

I never really got into the Mass Effect games after the first one. Everything I saw from the sequel looked like an unappealing Gears of War clone and hearing about them turning down the RPG mechanics made it a no buy for me. By the time #3 rolled around I had forgotten the whole series.  

15. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 16:08 Quinn

That extended cut was a piss in the face of every customer. Some people got blinded by it and actually took it as a true golden shower.  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

14. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 15:37 Acleacius

Not to mention you still can't get a complete version of ME2, after almost 4 years.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

13. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 13:53 Verno

Flatline wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 13:49:
It wasn't just broken promises, it was a failing of the entire premise of the game: choices that matter and reciprocate.

None of your decisions in games 1 & 2 impact the end-o-tron 3000 at the end of the game. Just the two meters in 3 impact it. Which sucks. Hard.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was referring to. They'd been selling people on this new narrative style for 3 games. Hell they literally said there would be some impact and that they were telling this grand ending influenced in a meaningful way by your choices. In fact one of the preview interviews for 3 had some guy literally saying they "wouldnt do a door A, B, C type ending" and that's...exactly what they did.

I give them some credit for actually trying to salvage it with a patch but they also did a lot of finger pointing at the audience and tried to handwave off their earlier promises with "artistic prerogative" bullshit.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

12. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 13:49 Flatline

Verno wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 13:47:
Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 12:22:
ME 2 wasn't as good as 1 for me, and I've never bothered to try 3. I bought 3 on a big discount, but I've heard the ending is terrible and it means I have to re-install Origin, so I have been dragging ass on it.

ME1 had bigger levels and was more immersive. People knocked the procedurally generated planets but most planets are empty and boring so I had no problem with them. The bigger issue was getting around, the Make took way too long to get you anywhere. ME2 felt like a series of corridors, not a convincing universe and the story was beyond stupid. ME3 is a bit of a mix between the two and is widely considered to be a solid compromise but unfortunately that ending and a set of broken promises cast a pall over the whole trilogy.

It wasn't just broken promises, it was a failing of the entire premise of the game: choices that matter and reciprocate.

None of your decisions in games 1 & 2 impact the end-o-tron 3000 at the end of the game. Just the two meters in 3 impact it. Which sucks. Hard.

11. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 13:47 Verno

ME 2 wasn't as good as 1 for me, and I've never bothered to try 3. I bought 3 on a big discount, but I've heard the ending is terrible and it means I have to re-install Origin, so I have been dragging ass on it.

ME1 had bigger levels and was more immersive. People knocked the procedurally generated planets but most planets are empty and boring so I had no problem with them. The bigger issue was getting around, the Make took way too long to get you anywhere. ME2 felt like a series of corridors, not a convincing universe and the story was beyond stupid. ME3 is a bit of a mix between the two and is widely considered to be a solid compromise but unfortunately that ending and a set of broken promises cast a pall over the whole trilogy.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

10. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 13:42 Flatline

ME1 had a better story to be sure. Not as good gameplay, but a stronger story to be sure.

However, ME2 will always hold a dear spot to me because they wrote in Talia's romance option, and whoever wrote that in ME2 and 3 wrote probably my favorite Bioware romance option of all time.

The funny thing about ME3 is that up to that point there are some extremely poignant stories told. Mordin's story made the room get dusty, and they even made me give a rat's ass about Legion.

That ending though... Ungh... Even the extended cut was kind of meh.

9. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 12:47 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 12:30:

The extended cut isn't bad, to be honest. And if you get the Citadel DLC, you basically get an 8 hour 'laughs and good times' happy ending.

Yeah, I heard they patched the ending because so many people complained.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 12:35 Jivaro

Yeah, at this point Mass Effect 3 is a pretty enjoyable game...ending included. I'd import a ME2 save or make one @ http://www.masseffectsaves.com  

7. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 12:30 Creston

The extended cut isn't bad, to be honest. And if you get the Citadel DLC, you basically get an 8 hour 'laughs and good times' happy ending.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo