Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'm giving myself a new nickname for my skydiving exploits in Grand Theft Auto Online: Faceplant. Watch out below!!

Planted Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Drawfender.
Links: What It's Like to Believe You're Controlled By Reptilians. Thanks nin.
The World Chess Championship is an embarrassing anachronism. Thanks Slashdot.
Science: NASA: Eight amazing facts about Russia’s exploding meteorite.
Media: Jetman flies over Mount Fuji. Thanks brother19.
Dial Up Modem Handshake Sound - Spectrogram. Thanks reddit.
Auctions: nDreams Charity auction.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2013, 01:56 Ant

Verno wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 09:06:
I don't bother with a flu shot, the one year I did I ended up getting the flu later anyway. When I'm older and my immune system isn't up to par its something I will consider though.
You realize flu shots don't get every strains? It only gets the ones that was designed for.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 09:06 Verno

I don't bother with a flu shot, the one year I did I ended up getting the flu later anyway. When I'm older and my immune system isn't up to par its something I will consider though.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

37. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 04:35 InBlack

PHJF wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 16:19:
It was a PG13 book. The only thing I remember that may have been touchy was Ender's round of fisticuffs in the beginning.

Hollywood at least isn't so scared of R ratings for the past few years. We've hardly had a dearth of R-rated comedies or action movies in recent time.

You are thinking too literaly. The book was not PG13, wtf? Its very difficult to translate the feel of a book into a movie, the book was very depressing and psychologicaly difficult. In many ways thats missing in the film. Graff is not as strict as he should be. The sargeant character in the film is just a big cuddly hug me bear. (WTF?) There are other small details....

I have a nifty blue line!

36. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 01:27 Agent.X7

Yup, always a few assholes crowing "Flu shots can't make you sick!"

My flu shot put me in the hospital, and the doctors that saw me would disagree with you. It doesn't matter if the virus is dead, if the shot makes you sicker than shit, then if makes you fucking sick. Period.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 01:18 Creston

"Can the flu vaccine give you the flu? No, it can't!" screams the medical community.

Edit: One thing worth noting is that some people may feel “under the weather” or generally crappy for a few days after the shot or a week or two later. A headache, nausea, fever, etc. can be a result of the side effects of the vaccine

Errr, those are basically the symptoms of the flu. So sure, call it a side effect, if you want to. A side effect which does the exact same fucking thing as actually getting the flu.

Some may consider this feeling “sick,” but you are not sick in the sense that the flu vaccine caused you to fall ill from a pathogen, and the vaccine certainly didn’t give you the flu.

Oh good. I'm sure it's a great relief to the people suffering from your 'side effects' that they didn't actually get the flu, even though it exactly feels like it.

This seems suspiciously like those cold medicines whose side effects include headaches, sinuses getting stopped up, coughing, runny nose, etc. Those aren't side effects. That's called "having a cold." Your 'medicine' simply doesn't work.

Got a flu shot once, made me feel like shit. Never getting one again. I get the flu maybe once every five or six years. Why make myself sick every year with the damn vaccine?

If you're in a category that's at risk with regards to the flu, go get one, but if you aren't, I'd say don't bother.

Edit: And fuck all those assholes at io9 who are trying to guilt trip people into taking a vaccine that makes them sick because HERD IMMUNITY AND YOU MAY MAKE OTHER PEOPLE SICK IF YOU GET THE FLU AND WHAT IF MY CHILD HAD CHEMO AND AIDS AND ASPERGER'S AND IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME AND YOU CAME OVER AND SNEEZED ON HIM HE WOULD GET SICK YOU SELFISH MONSTER!

If I get the flu because I choose not to get a vaccine, and I infect someone else, why is it suddenly my fault that THEY also chose not to get the vaccine?

Fucking bullshit.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2013, 01:40.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2013, 22:44 Mr. Tact

Bats, cheer up. Minnesota is ahead, for the moment...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2013, 22:41 MajorD

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 22:09:
You guys win, all those doctors are part of a lying conspiracy! Of course flu shots give you the flu!

Rolleyes

I KNEW IT, I JUST KNEW IT!!! Thanks for confirming that man!

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2013, 22:37 nin

F you if you think this wasn't caused by the shots.

Hang in there, you'll pull through...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2013, 22:32 xXBatmanXx

I got a headache about an hour ago (which is very rare for me - about the only time I get one of those is a hangover - I otherwise could not tell you the last time I got one), my whole body aches, both my knees, my shoulders, and back are very achey.....

It should be noted I also got the TDAP - which I was told by medical staff that it can also cause issues. So between the two of them, is probably the reason why I feel generally pretty crummy.

I have had the cold sweats and covered in blankets for the last 3 hours. I try to get the sweat off my legs and take the blankets off, but I go into damn near freezing convulsions.....

Aleve has helped a bit with the joints, it is damn near the ONLY thing I EVER take, and have probably only taken it 3 times this year.

F you if you think this wasn't caused by the shots.

(and no I am not one of those people that thinks any of this stuff causes autism. Our son is getting all vaccinations - but we waited for the Hep B vaccination until he is older - I think parents that ate McDonalds for years and had a child and feeds them McDonalds causes autism - among many other things)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2013, 22:26 Mr. Tact

I would assume being on the lower end of normal concerning your immune system would be all the more reason to get the shot. Imagine how sick you'll get if you actually get the flu!

Get 'em or don't get 'em, I really don't care. Just stop saying they cause you to get the flu.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2013, 22:18 Redmask

I'm fine with people having their own preferences on the flu shot as long as no one starts saying crazy shit like vaccination causes autism.

For the record I get a flu shot, it doesn't make me sick but it also doesn't seem to prevent me from getting whatever new strain of flu seems to arrive every year so I don't see the point unless you're a child or 80.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2013, 22:12 Prez

Flu shots can really make you feel like shit. The awful symptoms you feel when you have a cold or the flu is a result of your immune system fighting off the invading virus. Even though flu shots contain no living viruses - only dead ones - your immune system can't tell the difference and goes into overdrive fighting off the invaders. If your system gets overtaxed you start feeling crappy. I used to get one every season (I didn't want them but they are mandatory in the military) and every time I would get sick as a dog. I'd be bedridden for days. Other guys got them and only got a sniffle. I guess my immune system is weaker than most. Anyway I'll never get another one.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2013, 22:09 Mr. Tact

You guys win, all those doctors are part of a lying conspiracy! Of course flu shots give you the flu!

Rolleyes

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2013, 22:01 nin

WarPig wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 21:58:

Great, but I was fine until today. And I have been home and eating well, etc etc etc. I can't imagine it is good for you. No one can prove one way or the other. Got the shots yesterday.

/but then again...the shot was in an alley under the parking garage to the hospital....and the needle looked bloody....but it was dark...and only cost me $5.00....so who knows....

I've been curious about this also so I read the whole "Flu shot won't get you sick" all the way through and the last paragraph reads:

Edit: One thing worth noting is that some people may feel “under the weather” or generally crappy for a few days after the shot or a week or two later. A headache, nausea, fever, etc. can be a result of the side effects of the vaccine, usually from the immune system ramping up and producing antibodies against those influenza strains. Some may consider this feeling “sick,” but you are not sick in the sense that the flu vaccine caused you to fall ill from a pathogen, and the vaccine certainly didn’t give you the flu.

This is pretty consistent with what I've heard too. Some people call it a "mild" case of the flu, which it isn't, but call it what you want, the vaccine CAN make you sick.

I had mine last week, and while it didn't make me sick, I did have a weird sort of hot flash that lasted a few hours. Not a fever per se, but more of what you'd feel if you ran up and down the stairs a few times - just hot, and wanting a fan pointed at you. Bizarre...

Also surprised how long my shoulder hurt.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2013, 21:58 WarPig

Great, but I was fine until today. And I have been home and eating well, etc etc etc. I can't imagine it is good for you. No one can prove one way or the other. Got the shots yesterday.

/but then again...the shot was in an alley under the parking garage to the hospital....and the needle looked bloody....but it was dark...and only cost me $5.00....so who knows....

I've been curious about this also so I read the whole "Flu shot won't get you sick" all the way through and the last paragraph reads:

Edit: One thing worth noting is that some people may feel “under the weather” or generally crappy for a few days after the shot or a week or two later. A headache, nausea, fever, etc. can be a result of the side effects of the vaccine, usually from the immune system ramping up and producing antibodies against those influenza strains. Some may consider this feeling “sick,” but you are not sick in the sense that the flu vaccine caused you to fall ill from a pathogen, and the vaccine certainly didn’t give you the flu.

This is pretty consistent with what I've heard too. Some people call it a "mild" case of the flu, which it isn't, but call it what you want, the vaccine CAN make you sick.

GO SEAHAWKS!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2013, 20:34 WarPig

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 10:47:
If you've ever seen Fandango - great classic 80s gem a lot of people have never seen - you'll remember the skydiving scene which was pure hilarity.

One of my all-time favorite movies - Truman Sparks FTW!

"She looks fast Truman."
"Yeah, it's the stripes!"

GO SEAHAWKS!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2013, 20:34 MajorD

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 19:59:
I have had the flu exactly 3 times in my life.....it was hell....but I don't believe in getting a flu shot.

Okay, I have to chime in here on the whole flu shot ordeal too. I used to get a flu shot every year, but would still get sick once a year. So I decided last year not to get it, and went the whole year without getting sick, but my wife thinks it is a coincidence. So taking that as a challenge, I am 'not' going to get one again this year and see what happens.

So, let's all meet back here next year, same time, same 'Bat Channel' (no pun intended.....well maybe some) and compare notes.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2013, 20:07 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 18:51:
nin wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 18:48:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 18:41:
Stupid doctors don't know shit....never gotten a flu shot, made me get one, and now I am sick as hell. Mother F-ing d-bags....

While you're lying in bed, you might want to start reading w/ #1...

My son missed a day of school after his flu vaccine. Had a fever and was throwing up. He got the live virus though. I almost never have a reaction and get them annually. A lot better to get the shot than to get the actual flu.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2013, 19:59 xXBatmanXx

I have had the flu exactly 3 times in my life.....it was hell....but I don't believe in getting a flu shot.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2013, 19:15 Jivaro

Every year we have the same discussion about the flu shot in my house, and every year it ends the same way.

1) My wife, a nurse, gets her shot and is fine. Doesn't get the flu all season either. Considering the patients she works with, +1 point for the flu shot.

2) I refuse to get the shot, which pisses my wife off to no end of course, but I also don't get the flu all season. I don't work with sick people all the time, or even the general public. I am not high risk, or even luke-warm risk, so I don't mess with the shot.

3) My step-daughter, a college student, says she will get the shot but doesn't remember to do so until she is already sick with a cold or something. Showing that flashy education off to the world, she of course goes and gets her flu shot while her immune system is compromised. Of course she is then sick for the next 4 days. At least I can take some comfort in the fact that it isn't my DNA that causes this yearly ritual.

Seriously, like clockwork, every single year.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo