Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Grim Dawn Early Access

Steam now offers Early Access to Grim Dawn, offering a 10% discount for the next week on the preliminary version of Crate Entertainment's RPG (thanks UndocumentedAlien). Here's word on the early access:

“We're still working on expanding content and features for Grim Dawn but it is already very playable and the core gameplay is fun and relatively polished. The first "Act" is currently available and most players have reported their first run taking between 8-16 hours and some have already logged over 100 hours with replays and item farming. We still have significant content to develop and some features, such as multiplayer, are not yet online. Join us as we roll out new content, features and continue to refine the gameplay experience based on your feedback.

Grim Dawn is a passion project by a small team of experienced developers. Please be aware that we do our best to maintain a stable, enjoyable experience but because the game is in active development and things are constantly changing, problems do sometimes arise. You may also find that our pace of development is not as fast as larger teams. If you're looking for a polished gameplay experience right now and / or would be upset by delayed releases or slow updates, then you'd probably be happier waiting for the final release.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 17:46 Alamar

Due to some comments here, I'm gonna jump on it...

I had been looking forward to this for too long (It's one of about 4 things I 'like' on FB : )...

As for actual release schedule, end of year is no chance, and early 2014 is unlikely (based on my minimal knowledge) : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 17:22 killer_roach

Optional nickname wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 09:48:
will GD final 1.0 be out before year's end? or are we looking at early 2014? and what is the frequency that the team would implement major changes from this early access stage?

More like mid-late 2014, possibly early 2015. Very small team working on this one.

They do make semi-frequent changes based on feedback, though - they've been pretty responsive to things like that.

21. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 15:04 Verno

The combat model in this seems more much engaging than recent games, really looking forward to it.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

20. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 10:04 Undocumented Alien

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 09:56:
Necrophob wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 09:19:
Is this by the Titan's Quest guys? That was a fun, under appreciated game.

It is, thats why i'm excited about it. TQ was solid.

The Lead Dev from TQ is making this (with a small team) on a modified version of the TQ engine. So the guy knows the engine REALLY well and already has a good game (TQ) under his belt. I have high hopes for GD and have purchased early access to the game to both support them and help out (if I can). I've been pleading for an offline ARPG, and here one is.

19. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 09:56 dj LiTh

Necrophob wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 09:19:

It is, thats why i'm excited about it. TQ was solid.

18. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 09:48 Optional nickname

will GD final 1.0 be out before year's end? or are we looking at early 2014? and what is the frequency that the team would implement major changes from this early access stage?

I've never participated in early access (well, except for Simcity 2013, which is still in beta after nearly a year), but I will definitely be buying GD, as Titan Quest was a very good game back in the day, despite some shortcomings (predictable play to an extent). PoE is very nice too, it put the final nail in the coffin to the Diablo Universe that was mismanaged to its demise by the new spineless folks at Blactivizzion.

PS4 & PC, a perfect marriage, finally! 2014 will be great for all sorts of gaming.

17. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 09:19 Necrophob

16. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 08:21 Undocumented Alien

I'm going to buy it regardless, so may as well take the 10% off. I know that down the road it may be cheaper, but, I will be supporting this ARGP that supports OFFLINE & LAN mode and is MOD-able, rare treat these days. I hope it sells well so we can get these features back in future ARGP's. Enough of this only online stuff.  

15. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 07:44 InBlack

saluk wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 03:03:
I've had the early access for a couple weeks, I definitely like it better than PoE. But I'm not a huge ARPG fan, so take that with a grain of salt. I liked some of the unique features of PoE but the world never grabbed me, while the environments and story pulled me into Grim Dawn pretty fast.

Will definitely check it out. Waiting for all the acts before I hop in though.

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 07:11 Redmask

Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 20:35:
I'll buy it if they ever fixed the rubberbanding bug. I'd heard rumors that it jumped projects and made its way to Grim Dawn...

It's long since been fixed.

13. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 03:03 saluk

I've had the early access for a couple weeks, I definitely like it better than PoE. But I'm not a huge ARPG fan, so take that with a grain of salt. I liked some of the unique features of PoE but the world never grabbed me, while the environments and story pulled me into Grim Dawn pretty fast.  

12. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 01:10 wonkawonka

I have been playing this for what seems forever as well. No problems at all. It indeed only has one act for now, but it's a pretty long one and very enjoyable. Personally I prefer it to PoE which is much too obtuse for someone like me who doesn't have time to invest in optimizing a complex system. Not to say that GD's system is simplistic, far from it. It's just much easier to pick up and play.

I find the grittiness of the game perfect, and the battles flow in a balanced manner. A good mix of meat bags and nasties, at a good speed for tactical movement and analysis.

11. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 00:57 Darks

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 21:43:
I'll buy it if they ever fixed the rubberbanding bug. I'd heard rumors that it jumped projects and made its way to Grim Dawn...
I played the GD alpha/beta for a bit and never saw it. Haven't really looked into anything in the forums about it, but seems fine to me.

Same here, I don't know where you heard or saw that Creston, but I've been in the alpha for quiet a while now and not once have I ever had anything like that occur. I will tell you this, there are some people who are complaining about lag, but then we interrogate those and come to find out they have shifty system specs and video cards that are not up to par.

Believe me, if you have a good solid system, you will be just fine.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

10. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 00:18 Jivaro

I have been in since just after alpha started and I like it. I think most ARPG fans in general will like it. I think POE fans will like it from a gameplay standpoint. I think Torchlight fans will like it from the modding standpoint. I think the only people that might not like it are the folks that strongly prefer the bright cartoony visuals of Torchlight or Marvel Heroes over the grittiness of POE. Grim Dawn definitely swings toward POE on the gritty scale. Right now it also plays a bit slower then some ARPGs, like Van Helsing for example. In Van Helsing combat is fast and loose where in Grim Dawn it is methodical and brutal with very tight controls. Because the alpha is limited and because I haven't leveled to a very high level I don't know how this affects things when your skills and weapons become more advanced and varied, but early on you must be much more careful then in a game like Torchlight or Van Helsing.

Kind of a weird thing to be so fond of....but I really like that you can zoom & spin the camera around and view from different directions. It is such a rare feature in the ARPG genre and I prefer it to a locked camera.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2013, 00:24.

9. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 00:12 ItBurn

Definitely looking forward to this one. I love the physics, but I refuse to do the early access thing... From what I read, the game is far from done too. Will wait for the final version.  

8. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 6, 2013, 22:53 dj LiTh

Also excited about this one, but will check back in once its released, too much PoE until then.  

7. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 6, 2013, 22:04 Prez

Saw this earlier today and almost shouted "finally!!" I've been waiting for this one forever.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

6. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 6, 2013, 21:43 Wowbagger_TIP

I played the GD alpha/beta for a bit and never saw it. Haven't really looked into anything in the forums about it, but seems fine to me.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

5. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 6, 2013, 21:07 jacobvandy

It was in open, crowd-funded development for a while even before they went on Kickstarter and got a boost that way, but yeah the alpha has been out for a few months now. I'm fine with my base-level pledge getting me slightly early access to the final version after waiting a little longer, though. Path of Exile is keeping me plenty busy in the meantime.  

4. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 6, 2013, 20:49 Mr. Tact

? As much as people talked about this I thought it was already out a long time ago. Is this another PoE? Been available in Alpha for a long time or something?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo