Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround

Here are a few tidbits surrounding the just-released Call of Duty: Ghosts. There's the analysis that "mediocre" review scores won't "enormously impact" sales of the FPS (First-Person Sandler), a contention supported by word of $1 billion in day one sales. There's also the cut-scene that looks like Modern Warfare 2, which has caused some outrage, but may just be an intentional homage. Meanwhile, if you are wondering why bullets can follow you around corners, NowGamer has the explanation from executive producer Mark Rubin. Finally, reader Charliebrownau sends a tip to help with Call of Duty: Ghosts matchmaking to avoid ending up on high-ping servers. Here's a use at your own risk workaround that doesn't seem too risky:

• Exit COD GHOST PC
  • With notepad or your fav text editor
    Open this file \Call of Duty Ghosts\players2\config_mp.cfg
    For me it was in D:\Games\steam\steamapps\common\\Call of Duty Ghosts\
  • change seta cl_maxPing "800" to seta cl_maxPing "150"
  • Exit text editor
  • Restart COD GHOST PC
  • Search for a game with lower ping , if you cant find games
    increase to 200 instead of 150

Tip: Might be a good idea to make a backup copy of the config_mp.cfg file before changing it

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 7, 2013, 12:33 SpectralMeat

FloorPie wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 19:41:
Lolz, so basically 3x the size of BlackOps2. Brilliant.
Yep and about 1/3rd the fun of Black Ops2
If you haven't already just watch TB video of this game. I think the release of Ghost will generate more sales for Balck Ops2 as it is a superior game to this pile of shit.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 21:51 Quboid

Massive install size for mediocre textures? That's not Quake 3, that's Rage.

Has anyone looked to see what is using all this space?

- Quboid

52. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 19:41 FloorPie

Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 17:43:
FloorPie wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 17:27:
I saw TB's review and a few others. Is this 50GB install requirement true? Thats insane.

For Ghosts? 37 GB on the PC. Uncompressed textures FTW!

Apparently it runs like a three-legged whore on stilts too.

Lolz, so basically 3x the size of BlackOps2. Brilliant.

BobBob wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 17:54:
Remember the good 'ole days where you could run your own dedicated server, be in control or part of a gaming clan, and have fun competing in ladders?

Lies, damned lies! This utopia you speak of never existed. Ahh, the fun of running a custom TF server and being the LPB on it.

51. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 18:52 Beamer

Grokk wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 18:31:
As far as AI goes, my favourite would have to be the gladiator bot from quake2.
I lived in a small town, with no option to play online at less than a 500ms ping at the best of times, so I spent my time playing against bots.
The thing with the gladiator bot however was in the way you could configure them individually to have the characteristics of real people.
With 5 of us in the house, I made a more or less perfect replica of each person. We'd even have competitions on the 1v1 maps against our own AI self.

My young cousin was a little dismayed when I explained the config options and how I'd set his likely hood of being called by "mom" to a really high rate, or the chance of him stopping to eat pizza.
However in practise, they functioned alike and provided more or less the same gaming experience for us.

Honestly they were still pretty bad as far as AI goes. There was always a way to outsmart them, and after a while it became impossible to increase their skill to compensate against that.

But still, they made up some of my fondest memories of playing any kind of deathmatch FPS gaming.

I liked setting up tons of intricate bots in Quake. ReaperBot, of course, but also the civilian bot (negative points if you kill it), revenge bot (ruthlessly goes after the last person who killed it), etc. Thing is, if I had friends playing with me they hated these types of bots. They wanted basic bots, and usually at a level that made them mostly cannon fodder. I liked more crazy things going on.

I guess that explains why I spent so much time playing the Unreal Tournament demo with the mod set that added the nuclear doll, with the nuke cranked up to maximum so it took out half the map...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

50. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 18:31 Grokk

As far as AI goes, my favourite would have to be the gladiator bot from quake2.
I lived in a small town, with no option to play online at less than a 500ms ping at the best of times, so I spent my time playing against bots.
The thing with the gladiator bot however was in the way you could configure them individually to have the characteristics of real people.
With 5 of us in the house, I made a more or less perfect replica of each person. We'd even have competitions on the 1v1 maps against our own AI self.

My young cousin was a little dismayed when I explained the config options and how I'd set his likely hood of being called by "mom" to a really high rate, or the chance of him stopping to eat pizza.
However in practise, they functioned alike and provided more or less the same gaming experience for us.

Honestly they were still pretty bad as far as AI goes. There was always a way to outsmart them, and after a while it became impossible to increase their skill to compensate against that.

But still, they made up some of my fondest memories of playing any kind of deathmatch FPS gaming.

49. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 17:54 BobBob

Remember the good 'ole days where you could run your own dedicated server, be in control or part of a gaming clan, and have fun competing in ladders?  

48. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 17:43 Creston

FloorPie wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 17:27:
I saw TB's review and a few others. Is this 50GB install requirement true? Thats insane.

For Ghosts? 37 GB on the PC. Uncompressed textures FTW!

Apparently it runs like a three-legged whore on stilts too.

47. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 17:27 FloorPie

Verno wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 15:42:
No franchise is bulletproof, remember when Guitar Hero was a billion dollar industry unto itself? The bottom fell out on that frightfully quick. They need to an entirely new engine and some new ideas but that would interfere with the yearly release schedule sooo yeah, probably not going to happen.

Ahh, guitar hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwsHy8Fdies

46. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 16:53 Asmo

Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 16:41:
Fantaz wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 16:26:
Sad how COD games always beat out Battlefield in terms of popularity...

I would imagine it's because of the solo vs team gameplay? You couldn't PAY me to play a team game with a bunch of unknowns on the internet, so I can see how a 'solo' MP experience (where you're by yourself against others) would be more drawing the bigger crowd.

Ah I don't have that big a problem with it (/takes blood pressure medication after an extended bout of World of Tanks on the SE Asia server), used to pub a lot in TF2 and mostly it was good fun...

re: Ghosts, I think at this point each game is just an escalating dare to see how bad they can make it while still topping their previous high water mark...

I imagine the next one will literally make you eat a piece of shit as part of the purchase agreement prior to playing...

45. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 16:41 Creston

Fantaz wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 16:26:

I would imagine it's because of the solo vs team gameplay? You couldn't PAY me to play a team game with a bunch of unknowns on the internet, so I can see how a 'solo' MP experience (where you're by yourself against others) would be more drawing the bigger crowd.

44. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 16:26 Fantaz

DangerDog wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 15:51:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 15:27:
Dacron wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 14:33:
$1billion in shipped units, including unreleased xbox one/ps4 copies. Consumers have not bought $1bln worth of ghosts, retailers bought that many and are sitting on shelves/storage.

Gamespot article on it

Thanks, Dac. That gives me hope. Perhaps we're finally seeing the beginning of the end of this franchise. I don't mind these games (I don't love them either, but I own a few of the older ones), but they suck up a lot of oxygen that could be used to make better games.

#1 on Steam right now.

Seems to have about as many players as most new Call of Duty games have on the Steam Game leader board, almost 37k peek today.

43. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 15:51 DangerDog

jdreyer wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 15:27:
$1billion in shipped units, including unreleased xbox one/ps4 copies. Consumers have not bought $1bln worth of ghosts, retailers bought that many and are sitting on shelves/storage.

Gamespot article on it

Thanks, Dac. That gives me hope. Perhaps we're finally seeing the beginning of the end of this franchise. I don't mind these games (I don't love them either, but I own a few of the older ones), but they suck up a lot of oxygen that could be used to make better games.

#1 on Steam right now.

Seems to have about as many players as most new Call of Duty games have on the Steam Game leader board, almost 37k peek today.

42. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 15:42 Verno

No franchise is bulletproof, remember when Guitar Hero was a billion dollar industry unto itself? The bottom fell out on that frightfully quick. They need to an entirely new engine and some new ideas but that would interfere with the yearly release schedule sooo yeah, probably not going to happen.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

41. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 15:33 jdreyer

TheEmissary wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 15:30:
Call of Duty can't just assume its going to stay on top without changing to stay relevant. The review scores will matter in the long term maybe not for this game but the next game will suffer as a result. When people start to realize the game hasn't changed or is literally the same as previous versions it will turn some off of the series.

I agree, you see this a lot with movies. The box office return of the sequels has less to do with the actual sequel than the one that came before it.

Also, with CoD, there's a lot of DudeBroism.

DudeBro1: Dude, you getting the new CoD?
DudeBro2: Dude, do you even need to ask?
DudeBro1: LET'S DO THIS!!!111

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

40. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 15:31 jdreyer

Tumbler wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 14:36:
change seta cl_maxPing "800" to seta cl_maxPing "150"

150?! Are you fucking kidding me?! I look for sub 50ms servers on BF4 and when I have to slum it I play on 60ms servers.

150? 800!? WTF? On a PC?

That sounds awful.

Honestly, I think it's to keep people (like my dumbass brother) who try to play while at the same time torrenting The Wolverine.

39. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 15:30 TheEmissary

Call of Duty can't just assume its going to stay on top without changing to stay relevant. The review scores will matter in the long term maybe not for this game but the next game will suffer as a result. When people start to realize the game hasn't changed or is literally the same as previous versions it will turn some off of the series.  

38. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 15:27 jdreyer

Gamespot article on it

37. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 15:01 Quboid

Prez, you're talking about a slightly different thing to what I think most people here are talking about (correct me if I'm wrong folks). To me, and I think this thread, how good the AI is is not a question of how effective the AI is. It is a question of how believable the AI is.

Really good AI should be more human-like (or dog-like, i.e. whatever-it-is-simulating-like). That doesn't mean they're an excellent shot or superbly observant - in fact at times it means quite the opposite, as anyone who's ever been sniped from 1KM away by a grunt with an AK-47 in Operation Flashpoint will know all too well. Something I appreciated in Dishonored was that the guards are very poor at looking up which is somewhat realistic; people actually are much less likely to notice something that's not on their level.

It's disappointing to see that the basics are still so inconsistent. If I see your AI controlled character gets stuck endlessly walking into a barrier then I'm never going to be able to get quite as immersed in your game again.

What made HL1's and FEAR1's AI so good? Are they actually good by today's standards or were they just so much better for the time that they stood out. Case in point would be FEAR1's bullet debris, it looked amazing but going back to it now it doesn't look that great any more - at the time doing more than drawing a mark on the wall was cool, but destructible terrain has come a long way since.

I remember being impressed by how HL1's soldiers stayed in cover and IIRC moved when squad mates covered them. However, I don't remember anything in Half-Life which isn't pretty common place now. The AI in heavily scripted games like CoD is suspect as it appears to be reacting to level designer cues (when player crosses line A, spawn at B, run to C and duck) rather than actual decision making. Perhaps Half-Life was doing exactly the same. For all Arma's AI's problems, I would guess that Arma 3's AI is vastly more complicated than Half-Life or FEAR's.

- Quboid

36. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 14:46 Fantaz

Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 09:23:
Is this for real? Call of Duty: Ghosts Copy & Paste Modern Warfare 2 Ending

Because it's fucking hilarious.

bahahahaha!!

35. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 14:41 Creston

Prez wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 14:38:
Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 14:25:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 12:50:
Do we all go back to Half Life when we think about AI, when we first came in contact with the enemy commando's? What's the next one we reference? FEAR 1? Then pretty much nothing else? LOL

Yeah, I can't think of better AI than FEAR's. And that was, what, eight years ago? (looked it up, eight years and three weeks ago.)

And it's not just that games have gotten stuck at FEAR's level, it's that basically nobody has ever even COME CLOSE to giving us AI as good as the one in FEAR. Most shooters have AI that's fucking yonks worse.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, I enjoy games much more when the AI is not perfect. Maybe even subpar. Deus Ex would have been less enjoyable if the AI had been smarter since it would have been supremely difficult to be stealthy. For AI to be good enough for me it simply needs to be more sophisticated than the NPC going from obliviously standing still to just rushing right at you unitl you kill him.

There is a huge difference between perfect and the typical shooter AI, though. Most actually ARE just either standing still, sitting in cover, or running straight at you. It'd be nice to have AI that does slightly more than that. Even Borderlands 2 has better AI than that, and the enemies in that are designed to be slaughtered by the bucketload, preferably in chain-reactions.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo