Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saints Row IV Free DLC

A post to the Saints Row Facebook page announces free content for Saints Row IV owners as a thank you for their patience and support through the release of Volition's open-world action sequel (thanks nin). This is available now for PS3 and will come to Steam and Xbox 360 next week. Here's word:

Everyone gets a twerky Pop Star outfit, a suave Tuxedo suit, a Post Apocalyptic outfit, and a Thank You shirt. You also get two new Weapon Costumes: the Oppressor Minigun and the Oppressor Minelayer.

PS3 owners will get this "Thank You Pack" automatically by updating Saints Row IV with the latest update, which is available today as part of a PS3 update rather than as a separate download.

Xbox 360 owners will be able to unlock the content by downloading the upcoming Viewer Pack 4 from the Marketplace, and PC owners can get it for free via Steam. Xbox 360 and Steam content is scheduled to be available next week!

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 19:44 Beamer

Redmask wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 19:39:
SR4 was too over the top though, there is nowhere left for them to take it.

I haven't played SR4 yet, but... space!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 19:39 Redmask

Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 12:51:
Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 11:48:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 09:41:
The progression system, even if it makes you a god, is part of the fun. If you mess with it, it destroys a significant part of the fun. I'm not talking about some guns being better than others...

I gotta agree with that. I got the entire pack for SR3, and some of the cheats basically give you the first few upgrades right off the bat, so it makes the entire thing waaaaay too easy. It's more fun to build all that stuff up yourself.

I liked that my copy of SR3 gave me the jet and tank to start. The jet didn't help missions, but made getting to some less tedious, and the tank helped the "hold this turf" minigames that I hate enormously. By "helped" I mostly mean "made a cheat."

Those unbalances helped design decisions I disliked.

The other unbalance is just that, when you fully level up in SR3, you're a god that takes no damage. I don't remember that in prior games. At the same time, by the time I got there I had done basically everything I wanted to do and this just made the hump to completion better.

60% through the plot of GTAV and I can't believe how much more I enjoy this game. Heck, I can't even do a good rampage in GTAV.

Once you get the upgrades in the previous Saints Row games from activities it is pretty much the same boring experience. You can get a good rampage going in GTA 5 but it's not piss easy like in SR games. Sometimes I want piss easy and other times I don't. They're both good for different things. SR4 was too over the top though, there is nowhere left for them to take it.

29. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 17:18 Creston

ItBurn wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 17:01:

Well with the DLC I had, my XP raised extremely fast, so I absolutely didn't need to do any kind of side activity.

Oh, I didn't see that you were talking about the DLC. Duh, my bad. Yeah, it had similar cheats. Fortunately I got sleeping dogs without it, and enjoyed the leveling up process a lot more.

So you guys think that the story was that great? It was FINE, but seriously, it was extremely disjointed. Sometimes nonsensical. You met new characters and they had absolutely no introduction and the hero seemed to know them closely...

There weren't that many that did that? Jackie Ma was introduced as having been from the same hood as your guy, which is how they knew each other. Other than that, I think most characters are introduced to you, though some of the bigger bigwigs are 'known' by you simply because you're a cop. I thought other than that it worked really well. it built up slowly to some excellent payoffs, the intra-triad struggles and deceptions felt believable, and I really enjoyed Wei Shen's dilemmas as he got pulled deeper and deeper into his undercover persona.

About the only guy I didn't like was my whiny-ass handler who kept bitching about shit, even though I was the one who was building the entire fucking case for him.

It ended up making some sense, but it's lightyears behind the storytelling of the GTAs or even SR4. SR3's story was even worse though.

It was also lightyears behind on budget compared to GTA. That's kind of a harsh comparison.

As for SR, I thought sleeping dogs trashed saint's row 3 (haven't played 4 yet) in just about every area except the driving mechanics.

28. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 17:01 ItBurn

Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 16:44:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 15:49:
Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 15:47:
I didn't mind being given a jet and a tank. I minded being given the first two or three of the five "make cash" upgrades. And several crew upgrades. I would have enjoyed unlocking those for myself.

I know it's silly to take SR3's story seriously, but you're thrown into a completely new town where you're the target of the existing gangs, and yet somehow, with my 'cheated' version, I already had recruited gang members and had extortion money ready waiting for me.

It was a stupid cheat, and sadly because of the way Steam integrates DLC, I can never, ever turn it off.

I had the same problem with Sleeping Dogs. After like 5 hours, I had unlocked EVERYTHING. Made almost everything a useless grind. Still loved the game though.

Dang, really? I really struggled to completely unlock the Triad meter. I had to lay waste to ~ 250 monks a few times to get those points up. But like Prez said, the missions (and story) were so awesome in Sleeping Dogs that I didn't really care.

Well with the DLC I had, my XP raised extremely fast, so I absolutely didn't need to do any kind of side activity.

So you guys think that the story was that great? It was FINE, but seriously, it was extremely disjointed. Sometimes nonsensical. You met new characters and they had absolutely no introduction and the hero seemed to know them closely... It ended up making some sense, but it's lightyears behind the storytelling of the GTAs or even SR4. SR3's story was even worse though.

27. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 16:45 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 16:20:
Sleeping Dogs is one of the most under appreciated games, fantastic from start to finish and doesn't overstay its welcome.

If only its driving wasn't so mind-shatteringly awful.

26. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 16:44 Creston

I didn't mind being given a jet and a tank. I minded being given the first two or three of the five "make cash" upgrades. And several crew upgrades. I would have enjoyed unlocking those for myself.

I know it's silly to take SR3's story seriously, but you're thrown into a completely new town where you're the target of the existing gangs, and yet somehow, with my 'cheated' version, I already had recruited gang members and had extortion money ready waiting for me.

It was a stupid cheat, and sadly because of the way Steam integrates DLC, I can never, ever turn it off.

I had the same problem with Sleeping Dogs. After like 5 hours, I had unlocked EVERYTHING. Made almost everything a useless grind. Still loved the game though.

Dang, really? I really struggled to completely unlock the Triad meter. I had to lay waste to ~ 250 monks a few times to get those points up. But like Prez said, the missions (and story) were so awesome in Sleeping Dogs that I didn't really care.

25. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 16:20 Verno

Sleeping Dogs is one of the most under appreciated games, fantastic from start to finish and doesn't overstay its welcome.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

24. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 15:53 Prez

The story and mission variety was enough incentive to keep playing Sleeping Dogs for me. I loved the fight mechanics too.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

23. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 15:49 ItBurn

22. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 15:47 Creston

21. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 12:51 Beamer

Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 11:48:
The progression system, even if it makes you a god, is part of the fun. If you mess with it, it destroys a significant part of the fun. I'm not talking about some guns being better than others...

I gotta agree with that. I got the entire pack for SR3, and some of the cheats basically give you the first few upgrades right off the bat, so it makes the entire thing waaaaay too easy. It's more fun to build all that stuff up yourself.

I liked that my copy of SR3 gave me the jet and tank to start. The jet didn't help missions, but made getting to some less tedious, and the tank helped the "hold this turf" minigames that I hate enormously. By "helped" I mostly mean "made a cheat."

Those unbalances helped design decisions I disliked.

The other unbalance is just that, when you fully level up in SR3, you're a god that takes no damage. I don't remember that in prior games. At the same time, by the time I got there I had done basically everything I wanted to do and this just made the hump to completion better.

60% through the plot of GTAV and I can't believe how much more I enjoy this game. Heck, I can't even do a good rampage in GTAV. I accidentally blew someone up with a grenade, killed two cops and took their car, had the tires shot out by a helicopter and lost control of the car, flying down a cliff, magically landed in the driveway of my safehouse (I was pleasantly surprised), ran in hoping to wait out the cops, had the swat team (only 3 stars, which I haven't gone above) come in through the door, killed 4, had them regroup, killed 2 more but they had flanked me using another entrance. It sounds awesome and was impressive, but it's not as much fun because it's a hopeless situation.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 12:36 Prez

Saints Row 4 is so different and so off the wall it really shouldn't work, but somehow it does. The progression is fun, the powers are awesome and I love the humor. I thought it was hysterical that you can "romance" a diembodied AI sphere, and I almost died laughing when the evil Zin started singing "Just a Friend". "He fucked with Biz Markie!"  

19. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 11:48 Creston

18. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 11:46 Creston

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 07:43:
Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 23:57:
nin wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 23:25:
HoSpanky wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 23:15:
Now if they'd spend a weekend pulling GFWL out of Red Faction Guerrilla!

I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, that'd be great!

I tried to replay it a few weeks ago (since I figured I might not have the chance to next year), and got all kinds of weird-ass light artifacts from sunlight on my 660ti. Tried different drivers, didn't fix it. Sucked

Yeah, other people get wackiness like all destructible geometry flickering. It's not your card, nor the drivers. there's a command line, -nod3d10 that sets it to dx9. Will fix your issues. Game is dx9 only, so you lose zero features.

Edited with proper command line

You, sir, are a steely-eyed missile man! I'm gonna try that tonight. Thanks for the help!!

17. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 09:41 ItBurn

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 03:28:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 00:05:
The Saint's Row DLC SUCKS. Unbalances the game. Borderline useless. But the game is amazing. Give them your money (for the full game, not the dlc).

Hahah... saints row, balanced, in the same sentence. You're too funny. Saints row is basically a game that gives you cheats you can purchase in game. It's just a game where you mess around. Anyone going into saints expecting 'serious videogame challenge' just doesn't get what saints is about.

16. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 08:46 nin

Prez wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 08:27:
I spent around 20 hours playing Saints Row 4 this weekend. Talk about dumb fun!

I still like 3 better. I get the impression 4 was rushed out the door to beat GTA5 by a few weeks.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 08:27 Prez

I spent around 20 hours playing Saints Row 4 this weekend. Talk about dumb fun!  

14. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 07:43 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 23:57:
nin wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 23:25:
HoSpanky wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 23:15:
Now if they'd spend a weekend pulling GFWL out of Red Faction Guerrilla!

I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, that'd be great!

I tried to replay it a few weeks ago (since I figured I might not have the chance to next year), and got all kinds of weird-ass light artifacts from sunlight on my 660ti. Tried different drivers, didn't fix it. Sucked

Yeah, other people get wackiness like all destructible geometry flickering. It's not your card, nor the drivers. there's a command line, -nod3d10 that sets it to dx9. Will fix your issues. Game is dx9 only, so you lose zero features.

Edited with proper command line

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2013, 08:03.

13. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 03:30 Numinar

I dunno, I am very fond of that Pirate ship car!  

12. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 03:28 Suppa7

ItBurn wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 00:05:
The Saint's Row DLC SUCKS. Unbalances the game. Borderline useless. But the game is amazing. Give them your money (for the full game, not the dlc).

Hahah... saints row, balanced, in the same sentence. You're too funny. Saints row is basically a game that gives you cheats you can purchase in game. It's just a game where you mess around. Anyone going into saints expecting 'serious videogame challenge' just doesn't get what saints is about.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2013, 03:36.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo