Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts

Activision once again sends out the call of duty, announcing Call of Duty: Ghosts is now available worldwide for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 4. For console games there is also a last-gen to next-gen upgrade program, which explains the number of times the phrase "next generation" appears in the announcement:

Time to earn the Mask, as Call of Duty: Ghosts is here to define the next console generation. Now available worldwide, the all-new title ushers in the next generation of Call of Duty. From Activision and its award-winning studio Infinity Ward, the developer that brought players the original Call of Duty and the Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® series, Call of Duty: Ghosts features a new, intense story, and new innovations in multiplayer, all brought to life by a next generation engine that delivers a full package of entertainment as only Call of Duty can.

"The launch of Call of Duty has become a pop-cultural event shared by millions around the globe. We consider this a huge honor and it drives us to exceed our fans' expectations each and every time," said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing Inc. "Call of Duty: Ghosts delivers on this promise with an epic thrill ride which takes the franchise to new heights on both current and next gen consoles. The teams at Infinity Ward, Raven and Neversoft have poured their hearts and souls into making this the must have gaming experience of the next generation. And of course, none of this would be possible without the most passionate fans in the world. Today is for them."

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 6, 2013, 12:40 Quinn

Well, Aero, I don't really agree with you at all. You're giving the entire frenchise way too much credit.

To me the games have always felt like being on rails. The only thing that made the Black Ops games a tad better than all that similar shit was the fact that story-wise those games had much more of a hollywood feel. Yes. That's what made the Black Ops game stand out. Somehow.

/puke

These games suck and have always sucked.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 6, 2013, 04:45 Aero

They definitely lost their way after MW2. I'm not even really sure who is making what now, but even the better Treyarch games were noticeably worse than the original IW games. (I'm mostly thinking SP here for illustration, but it carries over to MP too).

The beauty of COD 1,2, MW (in particular) and MW2 (to a slightly lesser extent) was that, even though they were rigidly scripted, it was executed so brilliantly and seamlessly that it didn't matter. There was definite and legitimate genius at work behind the design. They managed to create the levels and scripting such that, though there really was only the one way I could actually go, even if I really was free to advance as I pleased, their preordained path was the one I happened to be taking anyways of my own free will. On later playthroughs the smoke and mirrors would show, but with the first experience, it seemed as though I was blazing my own path according to my own plan in a vivid, living battlefield.

I never felt like: "oh I see by the obvious level design that I'm supposed to go this way." I was just in the thick of an incredible battle and I *chose* to advance in the particular direction they had so deftly funneled me toward without even realizing I had no choice in it at all. In short, they knew what the fuck they were doing almost to the point of it being disturbing how well they could anticipate how players would behave. There's probably a doctoral thesis in there somewhere if you can figure out exactly how it works.

When I first played COD5 (Treyarch's first decent-ish one, if I'm getting my numbering right), it was a rude awakening. I kept running into invisible or knee-high barriers blocking where I wanted to go, getting turned around, or having to take myself out of character so I could logically figure out what the level designers intended me to do in order to advance. Some obvious shortcut through a bush to a better position would be inexplicably impenetrable so I'd be forced to follow a trench into an obvious ambush because that's what the plot said had to happen. Treyarch has been getting a lot better though.

The bottom line, I think, is that at this level, no ridiculously massive budget, or even such a budget accompanied by infinite patience for refinement and testing is going to make a truly great FPS game by itself. It takes the right, maybe even freak, combination of creative geniuses with genuine passion and inspiration, and that just can't readily be bought.

Meh, long story short: like other people said in much fewer words, COD is well over the hill. It will have a few more iterations in it because money buys "good enough" talent, but hopefully some young new geniuses will come along and stomp it out once and for all with something as amazing as COD 1,2 and COD4 were. I'm not even really sure why I'm putting COD 1,2 and 4 on such a pedestal. In the grander scheme, they aren't really my thing, but I can appreciate genius when I see it (gameplay-wise, okay--the plots were dumb).

50. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 6, 2013, 03:40 Ledge

OldDirtyEwok wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 12:41:
I like it, lots of customization, maps seem quite intricate, loads of new guns, new game modes and graphics are fine, a tad better I think(on ps3).

then u woke up ?

49. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 6, 2013, 03:29 InBlack

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 22:12:
? How is an FOV slider or setting not in every single pc game? wow. It is as though this is their first game.

It costs MONEY and EFFORT to program shit. Dont you understand??

I have a nifty blue line!

48. Re: Dog! Nov 5, 2013, 22:19 Creston

Flatline wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 19:56:
They also made a specific statement that the XBone has an embargo on it so they can't review it. WTF?

Gaming JOURNALISM for the win! Rolleyes

47. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 5, 2013, 22:12 xXBatmanXx

? How is an FOV slider or setting not in every single pc game? wow. It is as though this is their first game.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 5, 2013, 22:08 eRe4s3r

DangerDog wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 16:51:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 16:44:
Kosumo wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 14:53:
Why should SpectralMeat be able to get his money back? He brought it the day it was released

I'm not religious over my next comment but why not? Pretty much any other purchase you can get a refund. You can see it's not because he played it all and is trying to rip anyone off. Heck he's actually an ideal customer in terms of acting immediately on impulse and buying. Why should Activision/Steam be proud of taking money from someone who is immediately disappointed with a product?

Now something I'm more religious about... When the fuck is the memo going to make it to these developers that a lot of PC gamers want FOV choice? Should be an unquestioned slider nowadays. What is the fuckin hang up here?

Especially when you have a game published under the same franchise name, I don't care if they have two or ten dev studios working on the game there should be consistency. Black Ops II had it, so should this one.

That's the price you pay for a game developed by a shit-ton of different developers. Nobody gives a fuck how it turns out, nothing is learned between releases, and there is no consistency whatsoever.

Imo, any (FPS) game coming out for PC without a FOV slider should be automatically rated 1/10 .. but then those review sites would need some serious balls to pull something like that, because it'd ruin the metacritic score for PC absolutely utterly. And that is the only language ActiBliz understands.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 22:03 nin

Rigs wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 21:53:
They also made a specific statement that the XBone has an embargo on it so they can't review it. WTF?

Cause they know it's gonna look like ass on a new Xbone and if that gets out, it'll kill what little momentum they have to sell units...

=-Rigs-=

It certainly doesn't paint a good first impression...if they knew it was good, they'd be out there encouraging folks to compare the two.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

44. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 21:53 Rigs

Cause they know it's gonna look like ass on a new Xbone and if that gets out, it'll kill what little momentum they have to sell units...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 5, 2013, 20:04 Taskeen

Oh gaming industry - finally had its fill of mediocrity.  

42. Re: Dog! Nov 5, 2013, 19:56 Flatline

Even Gametrailers gave it a 7, which is... hurting. GT.com always sucks the CoD cawk and they were saying that it's been there, done that to the Nth degree. They also made a specific statement that the XBone has an embargo on it so they can't review it. WTF?  

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 5, 2013, 19:48 RaZ0r!

I am one of the few old schoolers that still liked CoD. I've played all the PC releases and enjoyed them all, except CoD:Ghosts. If you have played CoD:Ghosts, you will see it's very obvious the impact of not having either Jason West or Vince Zampella on board. I don't know how to describe it other than lifeless and generic. CoD proper, meaning the titles made by the shell of Infinity Ward, is a ZombieIP now with no heart and soul.

As much as I want to have sympathy for who's left at Infinity Ward, they had Black Ops II sitting in front of their face as the game they would have to meet or exceed and they did neither. If this happened from not looking at Black Ops II, incompetence, or management I don't know, but the end result is the same. A crap release.

Ironically Treyarch still has their shit together and can turn out fun titles. The best move ever would be for Activision to have Treyarch take over development of CoD proper, but we know stuff like that doesn't really happen with these companies. If Activision really cared they wouldn't have put CoD:Ghosts out the door like this in the first place.

40. Re: Dog! Nov 5, 2013, 18:48 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 11:07:
Ant wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 10:58:
nin wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 10:05:
Let's just cut to the chase here: Does COD Dog die?

Sort of, it turned out to be an android.

Really?

I presume you're joking but it's CoD.

He's joking of course. Smiley gives it away ^^

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 5, 2013, 18:41 Agent.X7

Yes! Just had a guy curse me out because I won't return his open software. Then he asked about trading it in and got more pissed.

People, it's entertainment software, not an investment. The minute you open it it's worth less than what you just paid. He wanted $50 cash. Haha, dude. That's what I pay for them brand new from the distributor. Why would I buy a used game from you for what I pay for a new one? I sell them used for $49.99 until the price drops in a few weeks. Derp.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE! *Click*

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 5, 2013, 17:07 Mad Max RW

Definitely the fast food of the FPS genre. It's too bad they aren't priced similarly to Mcdonalds and Taco Bell and give elitists something to complain about instead. I guess plenty of stupid people will pay top dollar for cheese. They'll burn out eventually.  

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 5, 2013, 16:51 DangerDog

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 16:44:
Why should SpectralMeat be able to get his money back? He brought it the day it was released

I'm not religious over my next comment but why not? Pretty much any other purchase you can get a refund. You can see it's not because he played it all and is trying to rip anyone off. Heck he's actually an ideal customer in terms of acting immediately on impulse and buying. Why should Activision/Steam be proud of taking money from someone who is immediately disappointed with a product?

Now something I'm more religious about... When the fuck is the memo going to make it to these developers that a lot of PC gamers want FOV choice? Should be an unquestioned slider nowadays. What is the fuckin hang up here?

Especially when you have a game published under the same franchise name, I don't care if they have two or ten dev studios working on the game there should be consistency. Black Ops II had it, so should this one.

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 5, 2013, 16:44 HorrorScope

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 5, 2013, 16:14 Cutter

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 10:20:
Fuck I wish I could get my money back somehow.

You see what happens, Larry? Bobby Kodick is pointing at you specifically and laughing his ass off all the way to the bank. And this is why we don't buy Call of Doody.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 5, 2013, 16:06 Agent.X7

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 15:33:
Why should SpectralMeat be able to get his money back? He brought it the day it was released, He's gotta learn to wait or else this will just happen again and again.

Re: The Dog

I've heard it dies on the mission "Shit hits the Fan" when the hovercraft stops so he can have a shit only to do so on a land mine and be blown up (along with his shit, which then hits the fan) Mad

That sounds preposterous on so many levels. The least of which being that a dog turd weighs far too little to set off a land mine...

I dunno man, have you seen a Great Dane poop?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 5, 2013, 15:33 jacobvandy

Why should SpectralMeat be able to get his money back? He brought it the day it was released, He's gotta learn to wait or else this will just happen again and again.

Re: The Dog

I've heard it dies on the mission "Shit hits the Fan" when the hovercraft stops so he can have a shit only to do so on a land mine and be blown up (along with his shit, which then hits the fan) Mad

That sounds preposterous on so many levels. The least of which being that a dog turd weighs far too little to set off a land mine...

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo