Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Patch Next Week

ArenaNet announces a November 12th launch date for The Nightmares Within, the next content update for Guild Wars 2, their MMORPG. saying this will kick off a corresponding "Rock the Nightmare" music video contest, which features a grand prize of a 3D-printed Guild Wars 2 guitar. Here's word on the content update:

In the 12th November release, The Nightmare Within, players continue the sinister storyline that began in October’s Tower of Nightmares release. Having unlocked the secret behind the toxic defences surrounding the monolithic Tower of Nightmares, players now can assault the tower itself. But new dangers, frights and challenges await all who dare enter the stronghold of the Toxic Alliance between the reptilian krait and the Nightmare Court.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Next Week Nov 6, 2013, 05:18 Jonjonz

This mmo started repeating itself months ago and burned me out on it. I don't touch it any more, and see no point in further coverage here.

The final straw for me was their screwy attitude concerning WVW, lopsided match ups are simply lame, but built in to the current design. Top that off with Grindy daily and monthly todo lists, and a new gear grind, and you might as well be playing any other Asian cash shop based grind fest.

It is a total lie that you can drop it and come back later, once you fall behind in achievement points, you are a leper, and will be ostracized at worst or treated as a noob at best, good luck with that.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2013, 05:25.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Next Week Nov 6, 2013, 03:33 Suppa7

This game sucks bad, it has the shitty MMO combat and the ploddingly slow gameplay of every other MMO. RPG's with great combat systems died a long time ago. Everything is so automated it makes me puke.  

7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Next Week Nov 5, 2013, 19:55 Veterator

Guild Wars 2 is a pretty decent game. I like some of the living world content a lot more than others. One thing that does drive me nuts about the game however is how much farming you have to do if you want anything in a reasonable time frame.

Like legendary weapons, I've been playing the game since February or so. And I have yet to have a single pre-cursor weapons drop for me. So there is no real point in gathering anything else. Then they came out with Ascended weapons, but they cost a lot in both gold, material, and time to make (mostly gathering, but you still have some other components bought with skill points and other things).

It's accomplishment, and it really seems worth it when you get one. But then on the other hand they are messing with the classes and their skillsets every couple months, so you might find that those ascended, exotics, etc you spent all that time getting end up not helping you out once you figure out how to trait your guy to be most effective for your preferences.

Admittedly I don't spend near as much time as others do perfecting builds, but there are a few classes where I haven't found a build I like....so I hold off on investing heavily into armor and weapons which may make all the difference. But I don't want a bunch of near worthless gear that breaks down to an hours worth of gathering instead of something closer to what it took to obtain it. They addressed this somewhat with legendaries being able to change their stats out of combat...but I don't have any and don't expect to get any soon with how it's gone so far.

All of the above is discouraging, but you can work around it by picking classes they have already figured out how they want them to function and stick with them. But there is another thing I am concerned about, and it may turn out they already considered it....but........

I think that they are setting up these events, sales, and what not to encourage people to stack onto specific servers with "reputations" like Black Gate. BG was the first to down Tequatl, so it spread that it was a good PVE server....then they came out with the WvW seasonal. So people were leaving to go to the servers that either repeatedly kicked their ass so they'd win all the time or leave for an entirely different bracket. Then they made it cheaper to transfer.

And now people are locked to their servers for the time being, but I suspect once the season ends more people will leave when they get poor rewards for their placement.

And on top of that, people play to just constantly troll in public channels in various aspects of the game. People who've been reported for months for the same activity. Hell, people who transfer off the server (I play on Darkhaven) come back to troll and stir shit up in Lion's Arch. And them doing that creates more trolls, because nothing ever happens to em. Makes it discouraging for new people because it's just constantly being berated while you're trying to learn what is going on. WvW is especially bad for this.

I generally like the game, but I think it's biggest downfall is a small group within it's player base that set out to shit on it for everyone else. And their shop could do with lower pricing, you could easily put 100 bucks into the game and not unlocked most account upgrades....and then you have costumes, skins, keys, various other toys that hundreds of dollars probably wouldn't be enough to keep up with.

6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Next Week Nov 5, 2013, 18:15 FU

The barrier of entry is stiff for this game. you are thrown in without much help. But once you get past it and learn the subtle intricacies of THIS MMO, its a very good. hate it or love it, the 5 player limit on the higher level dungeons foster greater teamwork than the 20 + player squad could ever. which means the higher level dungeons are very elitist, because everyone's play matters. there is no hiding. so if you are seen to be the problem, you are gone. Life can be cruel.

And WvW seems to be picking of steam. GW2 is only getting better. I can't see me going any place else for the time being

5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Next Week Nov 5, 2013, 16:49 HorrorScope

Keilun wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 15:41:
I guess the best part of this all is there's no monthly sub so you can always come back at a later date when things have changed.

The issue I have going back is I feel lost, feel left behind. These games get so complex, esp. all these mmo's and there myriads of currencies. Hemorrhage.

4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Next Week Nov 5, 2013, 15:41 Keilun

Morgan19 wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 14:07:
That "ton of content" you're excited about is largely temporary, timed stuff. Meaning that if you don't play it within their few-weeks timeframe, it's gone. Just a heads-up, in case you think you're buying into something more substantial than what it really ends up being.

I finally gave up and uninstalled the game last week, after 7+ years of GW1 and a little less than a year of GW2.

While that's mostly true, they have stated that they hear the feedback for more permanence in their living world content and as such the last couple living world instances have largely left permanent content. The only really temporary portion of it tends to be the achievements or seasonal event stuff like halloween.

They're also doing a collaborative feedback session on their forums to crowdsource some ideas on where we want GW2 to head.

I'll admit that yeah GW2 doesn't have near the same draw that GW1 had, I think they're working on those shortcomings. I guess the best part of this all is there's no monthly sub so you can always come back at a later date when things have changed. I'm hoping they'll add the whole horizontal progression that they had in GW1 - with the skill collection. That's probably my only real complaint: a real lack of skill diversity.

3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Next Week Nov 5, 2013, 14:55 Glykon

Yep, me too, I still play GW1 from time to time but after played all beta in GW2 I couldnt keep playing for more than 2-3 weeks on GW2after release.

I just tried last weekend again and couldnt convince myself to keep going so my char is left at 57 . Somehow its weird cause I even retried RIFT again and it felt better than GW2 now...pitty

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Next Week Nov 5, 2013, 14:07 Morgan19

That "ton of content" you're excited about is largely temporary, timed stuff. Meaning that if you don't play it within their few-weeks timeframe, it's gone. Just a heads-up, in case you think you're buying into something more substantial than what it really ends up being.

I finally gave up and uninstalled the game last week, after 7+ years of GW1 and a little less than a year of GW2.

1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Next Week Nov 5, 2013, 11:29 MoreLuckThanSkill

I really should get around to buying this, it sounds like there is a ton of content. The free weekend was pretty interesting, at least from a casual single player perspective for me. However, a grand prize of a 3D printed guitar? Lol!

Why not just say: "here is 20 cents worth of resin, marked up to thousands of dollars because 3D printing is all the rage right now."

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo