Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Interviews

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 6, 2013, 10:40 Verno

Atomic wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 20:21:
I agree with you, but I also agree with his sentiment, but it was a crass characterization. I think a better way to put it would of been to say everyone would like something for nothing.

Agreed, put differently people would taken this in a very different light. You have to more conscious of your reputation when you're a company like EA. Little things like this just contribute to the problem.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 20:21 Atomic

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 18:49:
He gets his philosophy from a dude who grew up in South Jamaica and went to college in Harlem. People feel the inherent need to steal.

That tells you nothing about people as a whole, but very much about the background of the person who said it.

I agree with you, but I also agree with his sentiment, but it was a crass characterization. I think a better way to put it would of been to say everyone would like something for nothing.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

35. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 20:05 Taskeen

EA wants us to steal their games. Got it. I call it having a full access demo, but whatever.  

34. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 19:55 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 16:52:
RollinThundr wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 11:25:
I've said it before, EA could find a sure fire cure for Aids and Cancer and the people here would still find a reason to hate them for it. Pathetic, hateful little bitches.

Says the guy who is constantly hating and bitching.

lol wait what? You post hate in just about every single thread here, for games you'll never play. Did you honestly just say that?

33. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 19:20 crypto

I've said it before, EA could find a sure fire cure for Aids and Cancer and the people here would still find a reason to hate them for it. Pathetic, hateful little bitches.

It would never happen, a one shot, sure fire cure is against their business strategy; better too sell them a lifetime of treatment.

32. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 18:54 Denthor

Cutter wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 16:52:

I'm confused are you talking about yourself or rollinthundr

31. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 18:49 Agent.X7

He gets his philosophy from a dude who grew up in South Jamaica and went to college in Harlem. People feel the inherent need to steal.

That tells you nothing about people as a whole, but very much about the background of the person who said it.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

30. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 17:52 xXBatmanXx

Wilson is an idiot! 120.00 for a game is stealing from us. Period. Nickel and dime DLC (every one of their games now) is stealing from us. Season pass, stealing.

What a moron. I quit reading after the 5th paragraph, I can't imagine it got better...

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

29. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 16:52 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

28. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 16:44 Denthor

Verno wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 15:47:
Really interested in seeing more open levels for the next Dishonored now that they won't have console memory constraints to worry about.

That won't be for quite some time tho? Even in the next 2 years I just can't see bethesda releasing games just for next gen - more likely made to work on current gen then tweaked for the ps4/xbone much like the PC. They'd be denying themselves to much of the market?

Of course there are exceptions to this, such as cdprojekt with the witcher 3 - but those guys have already demonstrated time and again that they have different priorities compared to the larger publishers.

27. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 15:47 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 15:12:
Eh, to each their own. I'm not interested in time-trial stuff, but there were quite a lot of challenges in that DLC that really tested your mastery of Corvo's skills.

The other two DLCs were awesome, btw.

I'm kinda with him that time trial DLC stuff is obnoxious but the other 2 DLCs more than made up for it. Really interested in seeing more open levels for the next Dishonored now that they won't have console memory constraints to worry about.

26. David Craddock and Two Blizzard North Co-Founders (Video 2 of 2) Nov 5, 2013, 15:44 RollinThundr

David Brevik: Yeah, I mean, yes. That was intentional. There were two reasons really why: One is that we werenít really big story fans, we were game fans. And two, we didnít have very many resources to work on the story. So there wasnít really a whole bunch of story to write.

Max Schaefer: Even if we had the resources, we wouldnít like people to like read a wall of text between killing monsters. Itís we want you to be the story. The story is you. And your guys triumphs and passes through these corridors of monsters. And so you kind of make the story. And we wanted there to be a context in a world that felt like it was alive, and felt like people had stories and things were going on. But it is always an intrusion to stop your game and stop your adventures to read RPG text. Which is rarely satisfying anyway.

More like they weren't creative enough to do good story telling, still aren't imo.

25. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 15:30 wtf_man

EA Wants You To Feel Like Their Games Are a Steal.

That's funny... I do feel like their games steal... my money... my info... etc.

24. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 15:12 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 14:23:
For their own games, sure. For games they only publish? They still release horseshit with the gold. The crap time trial DLC for Dishonored? I loved Dishonored, but I haven't spent a dime on DLC because the first one was bullshit.

Eh, to each their own. I'm not interested in time-trial stuff, but there were quite a lot of challenges in that DLC that really tested your mastery of Corvo's skills.

The other two DLCs were awesome, btw.

23. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 14:37 Beamer

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 14:18:
Verno wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 14:07:
Unfortunately, those days are over for the big games. EA isn't the only company to release shooters with tons of DLC. 2K, Activision, Bethesda, they all do the DLC thing. They figured they can't up the base price so they will chop parts off and sell them separately to increase the baseline.

The frustrating thing is that other companies like Valve have shown you can provide value while still being very profitable. EA just isn't built that way though and lacks long term vision, they're too focused on the quarter to quarter financials.

Heh, welcome to business 101. Every single one of us learns to focus on the long term profit in school, and then as soon as we graduate there's a 99% chance you will work for a company focused entirely on the short term.

Blame Wall Street.
Your stock doesn't go up if you don't show growth.
It's hard to grow if your stock doesn't go up.
So you focus on the short term.

Valve is private, so it does not have these concerns. Nor does Epic. Epic seems to be floundering the past year or so as far as actual game dev is concerned (seriously, who is in charge there now? Is it Lee Perry? He left, too, right?) but they can afford to. They have money, they are private, and they can work in privacy without having to satisfy anyone until they're ready.

Wall Street has forced every public company to focus on the short term, with a few exceptions (see: Amazon.) Jack Welch, who has said some idiotic things, has written great essays on how Wall Street in the 80s and 90s ruined businesses by putting a huge importance on earnings and estimates. He was king, I think he may have missed estimates once But why does that matter? Suddenly CEOs are gaming their estimates more than focusing on long term growth.

My last company was ostensibly public, but it was European so most shares were held by one family. The stock didn't move much. Short term growth was still all people cared about. I convinced some people that one brand needed to be burnt and rebuilt, and we would have to forgo the short term, but it amazed me how many decisions I saw that struck me as scorched-Earth, killing some future profit in favor of a smaller immediate payoff. Yeah, immediate payoffs have more value, but at some point you're just being idiotic.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 14:23 Agent.X7

Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 14:09:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 14:01:
Unfortunately, those days are over for the big games. EA isn't the only company to release shooters with tons of DLC. 2K, Activision, Bethesda, they all do the DLC thing. They figured they can't up the base price so they will chop parts off and sell them separately to increase the baseline.

Bethesda overall releases incredible DLC, though. I dare anyone to not find enough value in Dragonborn, for example. Yes, yes, horse armor, lolz, that was like 7 years ago. Their DLC stuff now is excellent, they're not going to release a rehashed map pack for 15 fucking dollars.

For their own games, sure. For games they only publish? They still release horseshit with the gold. The crap time trial DLC for Dishonored? I loved Dishonored, but I haven't spent a dime on DLC because the first one was bullshit.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

21. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 14:18 Agent.X7

Verno wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 14:07:

The frustrating thing is that other companies like Valve have shown you can provide value while still being very profitable. EA just isn't built that way though and lacks long term vision, they're too focused on the quarter to quarter financials.

Heh, welcome to business 101. Every single one of us learns to focus on the long term profit in school, and then as soon as we graduate there's a 99% chance you will work for a company focused entirely on the short term.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

20. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 14:09 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 14:01:

Bethesda overall releases incredible DLC, though. I dare anyone to not find enough value in Dragonborn, for example. Yes, yes, horse armor, lolz, that was like 7 years ago. Their DLC stuff now is excellent, they're not going to release a rehashed map pack for 15 fucking dollars.

19. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 14:07 Verno

18. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 14:01 Agent.X7

Moog wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 13:40:
One thing they could do is to stop grinding out pay-for DLC map packs which just end up splitting the player base - in the case of BF3 you could end up with 5 sets of players, from vanilla through four DLCs!

Remember the old days, a single price for Doom/Quake etc and all the maps were created by users or handed out for free by the developers.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo