Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hardware Reviews

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 5, 2013, 20:27 Dagnamit

JSP wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 19:28:
The noise about these card's noise is really even more noisier than what the card can output on max. The card rarely reaches a point where the cooler spins up to max, sure it reaches 50db on uber mode but that is quieter than normal conversation in terms of db scale.

From TechReport:
"I like AMD's choice to stick with a blower that exhausts hot air out of the case rather than going for a triple-fan cooler that doesn't. I've seen those fan-based aftermarket coolers perform poorly in multi-GPU configs, and they often occupy quite a bit more spaceómaybe even a third expansion slotóin order to work their magic. I'm also not convinced AMD's cooler is a poor performer and therefore noisy, as some folks seem to think. Remember, it has more heat to remove than any of the coolers on the other cards we tested. Finally, I don't think this blower's ~49 dBA reading is the worst of its type. The quality of the sound isn't grating. Subjectively speaking, there are much more annoying coolers in this territory on the decibel meter. The impressively smooth, gradual ramp of fan speeds up and down in the new PowerTune algorithm helps make the noise less noticeable, too. This ain't an FX-5800 Ultra, folks."

That section of the Techreport review is almost the textbook definition of trying to shine a turd. As if most people are going to stick 2 video cards in their rig. It was loud, but boy oh boy what a loud it is, I can't remember ever being so impressed with how this loud thing sounded! FIVE STARS! give me a break.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 5, 2013, 19:28 JSP

The noise about these card's noise is really even more noisier than what the card can output on max. The card rarely reaches a point where the cooler spins up to max, sure it reaches 50db on uber mode but that is quieter than normal conversation in terms of db scale.

From TechReport:
"I like AMD's choice to stick with a blower that exhausts hot air out of the case rather than going for a triple-fan cooler that doesn't. I've seen those fan-based aftermarket coolers perform poorly in multi-GPU configs, and they often occupy quite a bit more spaceómaybe even a third expansion slotóin order to work their magic. I'm also not convinced AMD's cooler is a poor performer and therefore noisy, as some folks seem to think. Remember, it has more heat to remove than any of the coolers on the other cards we tested. Finally, I don't think this blower's ~49 dBA reading is the worst of its type. The quality of the sound isn't grating. Subjectively speaking, there are much more annoying coolers in this territory on the decibel meter. The impressively smooth, gradual ramp of fan speeds up and down in the new PowerTune algorithm helps make the noise less noticeable, too. This ain't an FX-5800 Ultra, folks."

7. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 5, 2013, 17:04 Boston

WaltC wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 16:07:
[H] has been among AMD's harshest Crossfire critics--before these new cards. Now [H] loves 'em--can't seem to get enough of 'em, it seems like. [H] hands down recommends them over anything nVidia makes. "Cherry picking" refers to cards that overclock better than average--can't say that about card reviews that don't overclock anything, can you?

It seems like with the introduction of new PowerTune and GPU Boost 2.0, there's a lot of performance variance between retail units in both AMD and nVidia camp, regardless of whether you overclock or not (due to the way they handle thermal ceilings and throttling).
Not sure what's up with Tom's review units vs retail units - I don't think they're pissed off at AMD as you suggested (they did receive review units, and 290X was the first video card to receive their "elite" recommendation award for what it's worth).

6. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 5, 2013, 16:27 WaltC

Dagnamit wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 13:58:

The price on the 290 is nothing less than astounding, so much so that I don't see why you'd buy a 290X, ever. In fact, if I'd dropped $550 on a 290X, I'd be pissed.

From the heat, the noise, the convoluted "quiet/uber" fan setting, to what seems to be a GPU that AMD has designed to throttle under load, it's more than a little disturbing. AMD has seemingly thrown everything they have at NV to get the performance crown. I don't see how this model is sustainable. How is AMD turning a profit on these cards?

LoL...;) If I'd bought a Titan @$999 a couple of months ago, I'd really be pissed...;)

Simple--it depends on yields. You can sell a fast performing chip with good yields for a lot less money than you can sell a poor-yielding fast performing gpu. (Like the Titan @ $999. nVIdia doesn't just throw in a good cooler for Titan, it *has* to cool the Titan like that to get any speed and longevity out of it at all. Unlike the R9's, the Titan gpu isn't rated for indefinite operation at 95C.)

The "model is sustainable" simply because it's a better gpu than what nVidia's making at the moment. Why is that surprising? Competition is a wonderful thing, really. It is...;) As far as "heat and noise go," this is a top-end performing card--faster than anything on the planet by a wide margin. There will be AMD partner designs with quieter fans, certainly--but people will be buying cards in the 290 class for performance, compatibility, and reliability first; noise, a very distant second.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

5. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 5, 2013, 16:07 WaltC

Boston wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 12:54:
Tom's review of 290

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-review-benchmark,3659.html

It also reveals a disturbing fact that their two retail-bought 290X perform significantly worse than the ones AMD cherry-picked for press, and even perform slower than 290 AMD sent to press.

Since none of the cards reviewed at [H] were overclocked--not 290x, 290x crossfire, and not the 290 (three separate [H] reviews)--it looks like TH has once again stuck its foot in mouth...;) Since the days of Dr. Pabst-Blue-Ribbon, TH has been a bit of a nVidia shill, and this stuff simply sounds like they're pissed off they didn't get a review card from AMD, more or less.

[H] has been among AMD's harshest Crossfire critics--before these new cards. Now [H] loves 'em--can't seem to get enough of 'em, it seems like. [H] hands down recommends them over anything nVidia makes. "Cherry picking" refers to cards that overclock better than average--can't say that about card reviews that don't overclock anything, can you?

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

4. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 5, 2013, 13:58 Dagnamit

Boston wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 12:54:
Tom's review of 290

It also reveals a disturbing fact that their two retail-bought 290X perform significantly worse than the ones AMD cherry-picked for press, and even perform slower than 290 AMD sent to press.

The price on the 290 is nothing less than astounding, so much so that I don't see why you'd buy a 290X, ever. In fact, if I'd dropped $550 on a 290X, I'd be pissed.

From the heat, the noise, the convoluted "quiet/uber" fan setting, to what seems to be a GPU that AMD has designed to throttle under load, it's more than a little disturbing. AMD has seemingly thrown everything they have at NV to get the performance crown. I don't see how this model is sustainable. How is AMD turning a profit on these cards?

3. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 5, 2013, 13:08 Verno

I like the price on the 290s but man those thermals and noise levels are a bit nuts.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

2. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 5, 2013, 12:54 Boston

Tom's review of 290

1. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 5, 2013, 10:38 Simon Says

That's R9 290, no "X" ;).  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo