Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

A lot of modern mobile devices can't wander too far from the grid, requiring constant recharging. Then there's the Kindle... I got a low-battery warning yesterday, for only about the third time since I've owned it. In fact, it's been so long since it was recharged, it took me a day to find the cable to charge it, and further, I used it after the warning long enough to kill a full charge on a lot of phones. Pretty impressive. Now I just have to remember to put that cord in an easier to remember location.

Electric Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Bait and Switch.
Dead and Forsaken.
Stories: Whisky hidden away for 19 years is ‘world’s best’.
Skydiving Planes Collide. Well prepared! Video.
Kevin Pearce was the world's best snowboarder when his jump went wrong. Thanks nin.
Science: Habitable planets way more common than you think.
Media: NASA's Pumpkin Carving Contest Was Better Than Yours.
Life of a Space Invader.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2013, 17:12 Asmo

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 17:58:
Asmo wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 17:13:
Fuck football, SCOTCH!!! (sry, I'm Australian, in the race between booze and sport, booze wins

Srsly, if you buy one good bottle a year, throw money at Glenmorangie... =D

And if you must drink it cold, get scotch rocks (http://www.stonechilled.com/) ffs, a single malt that good should not be raped by ice cubes...

I don't know, for us laymen many expensive liquors taste so alike that spending money on a more expensive brand is futile. I worked at a bar for over a year, and I could not justify spending the type of money some of these distillers want for their product.

Had a friend whose rich aunt and uncle gave her a $200 bottle of wine for her college graduation. Her, her brother, brother's girlfriend, and I popped that bottle open, let it breath a bit, and then toasted. We all promptly spit it back out and ended up mixing this ridiculously priced wine with fruit juice to make it palatable.

Wine is like liquor, to me. I've done many wine tours, I've tasted many liquors. Some added expense usually nets you a better product, but it seems like once you go above a certain threshold you're just paying for the prestige and the taste doesn't get any better.

Case in point - My favorite tequila is Cabo. Just excellent, smooth, agave liquor. At around $40 - $50 a bottle, it seems to be the sweet spot for tequila. I've tried $100 a bottle Angel Bendito and thought it didn't taste as good.

Indeed. I picked up a 400 buck bottle of Chivas Royal Salute scotch for a mates 40th birthday and on drinking, it was good but not great (and seriously, for 400 you'd expect it to cure blindness or somesuch). And I still have a soft spot for Sam Couger bourbon even though I generally drink Makers Mark or Bookers (30 bucks vs 80+).

But Glenmorangie scotch is always a fine drink. A 'regular' bottle will run about 70-80 AUD and it is delightful, so at 150, this Elanta sounds like it might be worth investing in for a wee dram over the Christmas season...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2013, 00:16 Jivaro

I love my Vita. It really is too bad that I don't have a reason to use it more often as I too am not a traveler or public transportation commuter. It is great for Skype, among many other apps, and PS+ has really been good for it....so I do find some fairly regular uses for it. Hopefully after I get my PS4, which won't be until awhile after the holidays most likely, I will find more uses for it as I really dig the hardware itself.

(edit: Just sold my 1st gen iPad back to Amazon...108 dollars for what has essentially become a paperweight. I should have traded it in as soon as Apple stopped updating the iOS for it. Won't have that problem anymore, last Apple product I buy. I understand not updating the OS when the hardware can't run it, but to completely stop supporting a product a mere ~2 years out of the gate simply to force people to upgrade is just fucked up....even for Apple. I mean, I was still under a hardware warranty but I was starting to not be able to use apps I owned because they required the new iOS. Oh well, have been wanting to try the Kindle HDX for sometime anyhow.)

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2013, 00:28.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 22:57 nin

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 22:49:
nin wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 20:15:
MajorD wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 19:52:
@Redmask: Yeah, I've seen all sorts of contradicting information on the monthly fees, but best to go with the 'Official Word' you posted.

@nin: $3.33/month is a bit more reasonable, but still no console for me....nope, nope not going to do it!

@Agent.X7: . Go without cigs or beer for a day to save big time on PS+. I don't smoke, so not a big deal, but no beer for a day.....that's pushing it.

I don't blame you. Nobody wants to pay for multi. After a few years of paying for Live, I dropped it, and didn't miss it much at all.

If there weren't monthly games added for Plus customers, I'd be a lot less likely to bite. But so far, it seems like a great deal. Hopefully that continues.

edit: They've actually been extremely crafty, in that they keep handing out Vita games, which you can claim, even if you don't own a Vita. So that, at some point, you have this nice stack of games for it, and it starts to look a lot more attractive to folks like me, that normally wouldn't buy a portable.

The only reason I bought a Vita was for Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The only reason I still have it is because 99% of PS4 games are going to be remotely playable on it.

If I traveled a lot more for work (which, thankfully I don't), I'd be portable gaming a lot more, and could easily see investing in a Vita (I still have my launch PSP). But as it is, if I'm at home, I have the steam list a mile long, and now the PS3 and soon to be PS4... I literally don't have enough hours in the week for the amount of gaming I'd like to do. I'm seriously considering selling my 3DS back to amazon. Not because I didn't like it, but due to the fact that I hardly use the thing lately.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 22:49 Agent.X7

nin wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 20:15:
@Redmask: Yeah, I've seen all sorts of contradicting information on the monthly fees, but best to go with the 'Official Word' you posted.

@nin: $3.33/month is a bit more reasonable, but still no console for me....nope, nope not going to do it!

@Agent.X7: . Go without cigs or beer for a day to save big time on PS+. I don't smoke, so not a big deal, but no beer for a day.....that's pushing it.

I don't blame you. Nobody wants to pay for multi. After a few years of paying for Live, I dropped it, and didn't miss it much at all.

If there weren't monthly games added for Plus customers, I'd be a lot less likely to bite. But so far, it seems like a great deal. Hopefully that continues.

edit: They've actually been extremely crafty, in that they keep handing out Vita games, which you can claim, even if you don't own a Vita. So that, at some point, you have this nice stack of games for it, and it starts to look a lot more attractive to folks like me, that normally wouldn't buy a portable.

The only reason I bought a Vita was for Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The only reason I still have it is because 99% of PS4 games are going to be remotely playable on it.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 22:36 Creston

Glenfiddich > Glenmorangie

CLAN WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 20:15 nin

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 19:52 MajorD

26. Re: Sony to charge monthly fee for multiplayer games on PS4 Nov 5, 2013, 18:37 Agent.X7

nin wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 18:32:
MajorD wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 18:18:
More reasons why I've stuck to gaming on a PC; charging a monthly fee to play a MP game I've already paid for just doesn't jive with me. XBone, PS4, they're all still consoles.

Sony to charge monthly fee for multiplayer games on PS4 $9.00/Month? OUCH!

Until someone else provides more info, I'm calling bullshit on that...Plus works out to about $3.33 a month (catch it on sale for $40 a year), and has given me games like DX:HR, XCOM, Hotline Miami, Dragon's Dogma, Uncharted 3, Saint's Row 3, and more. And that's in the last 6 months.

edit: Sony update here

When PS4 launches on November 15, PlayStation Plus will continue to be offered at US $49.99 for a year membership. For less than $5 a month, PS Plus members will have access all the benefits across PS4, PS3 and PS Vita. At E3 earlier this year, we introduced a new PS Plus membership option for 30 days in North America and Europe ($9.99 /€6.99), available now in the PlayStation Store.

So all it is is the addition of a month by month option.

I was just going to respond to say it is $9.99 if you pay monthly, but you beat me to it.

Also, anybody paying $9.99 a month is a tool. Scrape together another frickin' 7 bucks and get the 3 month for $17.99. Go without cigs or beer for a day to save big time on PS+.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

25. Re: Sony to charge monthly fee for multiplayer games on PS4 Nov 5, 2013, 18:32 nin

MajorD wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 18:18:
More reasons why I've stuck to gaming on a PC; charging a monthly fee to play a MP game I've already paid for just doesn't jive with me. XBone, PS4, they're all still consoles.

Until someone else provides more info, I'm calling bullshit on that...Plus works out to about $3.33 a month (catch it on sale for $40 a year), and has given me games like DX:HR, XCOM, Hotline Miami, Dragon's Dogma, Uncharted 3, Saint's Row 3, and more. And that's in the last 6 months.

edit: Sony update here

When PS4 launches on November 15, PlayStation Plus will continue to be offered at US $49.99 for a year membership. For less than $5 a month, PS Plus members will have access all the benefits across PS4, PS3 and PS Vita. At E3 earlier this year, we introduced a new PS Plus membership option for 30 days in North America and Europe ($9.99 /€6.99), available now in the PlayStation Store.

So all it is is the addition of a month by month option.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 18:21 Redmask

Uh what? Yahoo provides no linkback source for that info and it totally contradicts their previous stance that all you need is a PS+ sub which is $50/yr. They also let you access various F2P online games and access to apps like Netflix are not restricted if you don't have the sub but most people will because it comes with free games. That reads like a dumb reporter who doesn't cover gaming misunderstood something.

This is their official word on multiplayer.

From that link:

Is PlayStation Plus necessary for multiplayer gameplay on PS4?

Yes, PlayStation Plus membership is needed for PS4 online multiplayer gaming. PS4 features a significantly enhanced online feature set that will deliver innovative new online gaming experiences.
Will non PS Plus members be able to play free to play online games on PS4?

Certain titles built on a free-to-play model will not require PlayStation Plus for multiplayer functionality in North America. This list currently includes Blacklight Retribution, DC Universe Online, and War Frame in North America.
Can I play online without a Plus membership?

Generally speaking, no. PlayStation Plus membership is required to play the majority of online titles on PS4, however a selection of free-to-play multiplayer titles will be available without a PS Plus membership.

23. Re: Sony to charge monthly fee for multiplayer games on PS4 Nov 5, 2013, 18:18 MajorD

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 17:58 Agent.X7

Fuck football, SCOTCH!!! (sry, I'm Australian, in the race between booze and sport, booze wins

And if you must drink it cold, get scotch rocks (http://www.stonechilled.com/) ffs, a single malt that good should not be raped by ice cubes...

I don't know, for us laymen many expensive liquors taste so alike that spending money on a more expensive brand is futile. I worked at a bar for over a year, and I could not justify spending the type of money some of these distillers want for their product.

Had a friend whose rich aunt and uncle gave her a $200 bottle of wine for her college graduation. Her, her brother, brother's girlfriend, and I popped that bottle open, let it breath a bit, and then toasted. We all promptly spit it back out and ended up mixing this ridiculously priced wine with fruit juice to make it palatable.

Wine is like liquor, to me. I've done many wine tours, I've tasted many liquors. Some added expense usually nets you a better product, but it seems like once you go above a certain threshold you're just paying for the prestige and the taste doesn't get any better.

Case in point - My favorite tequila is Cabo. Just excellent, smooth, agave liquor. At around $40 - $50 a bottle, it seems to be the sweet spot for tequila. I've tried $100 a bottle Angel Bendito and thought it didn't taste as good.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 17:36 Jivaro

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 16:50:
HEY! No complaining when you are in first place.

lol...I won't be for long if I have another week like this past one.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 17:13 Asmo

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 16:50 Mr. Tact

Jivaro wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 10:42:
I don't know about the rest of you, but this was easily my worst week picking games. I think I got a whole 5 games correct.
HEY! No complaining when you are in first place.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 16:50 Cutter

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 15:17 Creston

Oh, that's even worse. Charlie Batch at least once had a good game. I'm taking the Eagles, thanks.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 14:06 Verno

Seneca Wallace and yeah, wasn't a good day for him.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 14:03 Creston

1badmf wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 12:20:
Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 11:38:
6-7 here too, as was almost everyone else. There's always a big upset week.

check out next week's picks. anybody ballsy enough to pick philly over GB like me? heheh.

I picked the Eagles, yeah. Who was that at QB for Green Bay yesterday? It looked like the dessicated corpse of Charlie Batch, but I wasn't quite sure.

Without Rogers, Green Bay is a deeply flawed team.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 14:00 Jivaro

1badmf wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 12:20:
Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 11:38:
6-7 here too, as was almost everyone else. There's always a big upset week.

check out next week's picks. anybody ballsy enough to pick philly over GB like me? heheh.

I think you have to consider Philly the favorite with Rodgers out for at least the next 3 weeks, Finley out, and Matthews still out.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo